Headed to whistler...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Headed to whistler...

Well I'm tagging along on a business trip to Vancouver. I plan on heading out to whistler for friday / saturday / sunday.

I will probably only ride sat / sunday.

I just got back from Moab Utah and was pretty pumped with the DH stuff we did there. So I was thinking I would just get 2 day passes for the Bike Park and just hang out there. Would that be a good idea for someone who does mainly XC rides in FL, but has done lift assisted / DH stuff in Colorado and Utah?

Also, I am not sure where we are staying in Whistler, but im sure it will be close to the village, what are some of the main if not the only main bike shop in the area? Id like to call ahead and reserve a bike / get everything taken care of before sat morning so i can just pick up the bike and ride all day...
    www.garabaghi.com
    more photos
    www.tripxamerica.com
    Reviews by riders.

Hifi => Ex 9. Thank you warranty.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I would do a day in the park and a day of XC. You will find the XC trails unlike anything you are used to in FL, with plenty of the downhill sections being almost identical to what you find in the bike park - the difference being that you have to pedal to get there. There are all levels of XC trails, with all kinds of features from roots to rock slabs to man made north-shore style stunts. Take your pick. Cost: $0. Pick a style and length of ride and ask for some ride suggestions.

The bike park is epic but full on, especially if you are not used to DH. That said, the lower mountain has some great stuff to get you started. Double track trails like B-line and Crank It Up are good to start and are more buff with small table top style jumps. Other blue trails like Karate Monkey, Smoke and Mirrors and Devils Club are more natural, techy singletracks. Bike Park ticket + DH rental + armor and full face will set you back approx $100 for one day.

As for bike rentals, the town is packed with them so take your pick brand-wise. Here are the bigger names:

Specialized - Evolution/ Whistler Village Sports
    Rocky Mountain - Summit
    Norco - Fanatyk Co.
    Giant - The Bike Co.
    Jamis - Wild Willies
    Kona - WB

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I think we are staying at the Summit Lodge. I decided to go with Summit Bike Co, and reserved a bike / armour from summit.

If you had to choose between Summit Lodge and the Hilton which would you pick?

It was closer to $160 for the bike / armour / insurance plus im assuming another $45 for lift ticket...oh well its not everyday you end up in Vancouver from Florida, might as well take advantage.

We just got back from a trip to moab where we did some pretty intense riding. One of the rides wasa 9hr trip, with a 1.5hr shuttle ride to the top of this summit, another 2 hour hike up a mountain then about 6 hours of riding dh / across a ridge. Im sure this will me somewhat different, but I just wanted to make clear I have done other riding besdies FL....

Thanks for the info!
    www.garabaghi.com
    more photos
    www.tripxamerica.com
    Reviews by riders.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    $160 for 1 day? without lift ticket? man, are you sure? that is definitely not right, make sure you check it. it should be $70 max for one day DH bike rental plus the armor package. Summit is great, would be my no 1 recommendation for dh rental.

Cool that you rode in Moab. I'm not questioning your competence at all. Whistler terrain is very different, but I am sure you will love it. The bike park is a different feel though, terrain notwithstanding. Believe me when I say you should start easy. There are a lot of other (some very fast) riders to contend with for one.

I have never been inside summit lodge so can't comment on the rooms but I would pick the hilton for location alone. I believe they also have some sort of deal with Summit (the bike store) for a rental discount but that may only be for their staff....

Looking forward to hearing about your trip, have a great time and make sure to do a TR!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Ya im sure it will be completely different, just didnt want you thinking i was some FL kid who only knows how to pedal 80 cadence through single track for 10hours at a time with no elevation change ....

Its $107 for bike with armour for 1 day with 10% discount, add $25 for insurance, and taxes and it came out to $158 and i still dont have a ticket

whats a TR?

I will have my helmet cam (contourhd) and will be taking tons of photos / video with it and posting it up on www.tripxamerica.com
    www.garabaghi.com
    more photos
    www.tripxamerica.com
    Reviews by riders.

mtbr member
    Was just there a few weeks ago and bike and armour rental (without insurance) was $100 per day. At least, that is what one shop told us. We were riding our own bikes but decided to ask what rental costs were.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    TR = trip report, exactly as you described you will be posting.

I would check that price because it sure as hell doesn't sound right to me. I have taken friends into summit to rent for a day and the price was ~$70 plus tax, no insurance.

Members who have read this thread: 0