GT Avalanche Women's Bike bought at Sportcheck in Kelowna BC - WEIRD FRAME.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016

GT Avalanche Women's Bike bought at Sportcheck in Kelowna BC - WEIRD FRAME.

Hello all !!

We just purchased what appears to be a barely-used 2014 GT Avalanche Comp Hydro GTW for my girlfriend. The bike is identical in colour, design and specs to this: 2014 Avalanche Comp Gtw - Mountain - Women's - Bikes - 2014

Thing is ... the frame is NOT the trademark "triple-triangle" design shown in the pic above. Please see this pic of the actual bike we bought.GT Avalanche Women's Bike bought at Sportcheck in Kelowna BC - WEIRD FRAME.-gedc0109.jpg

I've tried to find this "non-standard" GT frame online and just can't find any reference to it at all. It was first purchased new at Sportcheck in Canada. Can anyone tell me why this strange deviation from the GT frame design?

Thanks.

Rick & Donna

ups and downs
    Mighty weird. All those frames are shown with the triple triangle in the GT lit and even on Sportcheck's website. What does the store have to say about it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GT Avalanche Women's Bike bought at Sportcheck in Kelowna BC - WEIRD FRAME.-gt_ava_comp_blk-2014-001.jpg  

Last edited by rockyuphill; 09-17-2016 at 12:21 PM.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Sep 2016

Weird GT Avalanche frame from Sportcheck

Thanks for your response. We actually bought the bike second hand from the original purchaser. I've not approached Sportchek yet but will report back with any new info. I just can't believe this ride is a "knockoff" since all the components are factory spec. The paint and stickers are all identical to factory as well. That said, I understand there was a period when GT bikes were being manufactured in China. The Chinese do some pretty amazing knockoffs.

ups and downs
    Dorel bought Pacific Cycle back in 2004, so it can't be because of a change in ownership part way through the year. Pacific Cycles owns Mongoose and Schwinn as well as GT. In 2014 Mongoose had an inexpensive model called a Tyax Sport that had a frame that looks a lot like that. It could be that they had an over-run of these frames and needed to fill orders for Sportcheck so they painted the Mongoose frames in GT colours and built them up to Avalanche specs

Mongoose | Tyax Sport, a Hardtail Mountain Bike with SRAM X4 Components

GT Avalanche Women's Bike bought at Sportcheck in Kelowna BC - WEIRD FRAME.-mongoose_tyaxs_blk_zoom_3.1348673721.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Very interesting. Wouldn't this be considered fraudulent in some way?

ups and downs
    Often big chain stores like Sportcheck and Walmart get special models of bikes that cost less than bike shop versions as they are prepared to give up certain features to save $20 a bike on orders of 1000's of them, so it could be that they were offered a special clearance sale price on a special run of GT because Walmart didn't take as many Mongoose as they expected.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    OIC. Makes sense I guess ... but still a bit shady when one doesn't get the trademark frame style they may expect. Buyer beware though. We are still quite happy with the bike. It's her first one. She fell off. I'm in the doghouse now ! Wimper ....