Get MoosePackers Ridable Again- Mtbr.com
    Formerly DMR For Life

Get MoosePackers Ridable Again

hey all
    I figured i'd start a thread dedicated to this

In case you haven't been reading the moosepacker and the alberta trails threads

Heres whats up Moosepackers has become unridable due to the downed trees so the plan is to get a group together out there and make it ridable again some time in the spring

If your interested in helping out post here not only if you can do it but also if you have equipment we would be able to use...and check back for more info

DMR

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I've contacted CMBA to find out if they want to help too. Or at least tell us if we need to contact the rangers...

And I'll offer up my place for a post work BBQ.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by AscentCanada
    I've contacted CMBA to find out if they want to help too. Or at least tell us if we need to contact the rangers...

And I'll offer up my place for a post work BBQ.
    There is trail maintenance on the Moose Mtn freeride trails in the spring. I assume this is when you guys would like to get out and clean up Moose Packers. I would like to help out for sure. We just have to get some times and other things worked out.

mtbr member
    You may want to post a similar thread on pinkbike.com. You can probably get some extra hands... although they may be very small.

Formerly DMR For Life
    good idea
    DMR

Formerly DMR For Life
    Ronny is that cleanup through CMBA? and do you know when their doing that?
    DMR

Formerly DMR For Life
    sounds good Ascent let us know what you hear
    DMR

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

CMBA has done some work.

Quote Originally Posted by DMR For Life
    Ronny is that cleanup through CMBA? and do you know when their doing that?
    DMR
    There has been clean ups and maintenance done through CMBA. The work is usually done in the spring. I have never done any trail maintenance, so I don't know first hand. I find myself complaining about trail conditions, but I have never done anything about it, so it is time to put something back in to the sport.

http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/news...leview&id=1648

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'd be into helping out assuming I'm not working in BC at that time. It would be nice to get the first few switchbacks fixed too. They were horrible the last time I was on Moosepackers two years ago. They really need some type of berm on them.

Formerly DMR For Life
    another question for everyone does anyone have experience with building/maintaining trails?
    Also I was thinking of doing it the first of April is that a good weekend?
    thanks
    DMR

Formerly DMR For Life
    does anyone who has been there in the past year know if this still needs to be done?
    thanks
    DMR

conjoinicorned
    there are significant groups (hikers and bikers) who maintain packers every year. be very careful if you work on packers, be sure to not create anything which could be called a jump or berm or structure of any kind. bikers are more welcome on special k, toothless, fluffers or whore. my riding group sticks to these bike-only trails for maintenance (not that i'm discouraging you from helping with packers!!) and usually we start in may or so when it's a little bit drier.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

Formerly DMR For Life
    do you know who organizes those groups?
    DMR

conjoinicorned
    http://www.cmbalink.com/mooseforum.html

cmba mostly, in conjunction with pinkbike and shell.

pinkbike announces trail days all the time, although they stay away from the actual packers trail. the hikers i don't know, i avoid them like the plauge but i know they do a thing every year or two.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've been down Moosepackers probably ten times and I dont think I've ever seen a hiker on the trail. Regarding the berm, I'm not proposing building up any stunts or anything, just filling in the huge hole on the first switchback and putting in something on the next few so people stop cutting the trail everywhere and further eroding it. I cant imagine the Forestry service would have any objections to that.

conjoinicorned
    shell owns the mountain, and they have allowed all forms of trail maintenance. everyone that uses the trail will appreciate your work, just no building of stunts, jumps etc. building is allowed on TW and fluffers only. good karma to you for helping out! (although i would prefer to see you helping on the good trails.... )

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    It is hard to plan too far ahead because there could be 4ft of snow up there April 1, or it could be bone dry. It would probably be best to wait until some Moose Mountain announcements come up towards the spring, and then things can get organized.

I have had no formal experience building or maintaining mountain bike trails. I have worked in the Bush with chainsaws and various other equipment.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Shell does not own Moose Mtn.

Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    shell owns the mountain, and they have allowed all forms of trail maintenance. everyone that uses the trail will appreciate your work, just no building of stunts, jumps etc. building is allowed on TW and fluffers only. good karma to you for helping out! (although i would prefer to see you helping on the good trails.... )
    It sounds picky, but the Alberta government leases the land to Shell and Husky. Shell looks after the main access road.

The whole access thing really pisses me off. It is alright for oil companies to come in and clear cut forests, build massive roads, put in drilling rigs, pipelines, and processing facilities, but when some mountain bikers want to build some trails, they are "damaging" the environment.

What a focking joke.

Formerly DMR For Life
    well i'll continue working on finding out exactly who needs to be contacted then when it comes closer we'll figure something out
    DMR

conjoinicorned
    shell is responsible for the entire mountain, not just the access roads (i said "own" because they have had it for longer than my lifetime already, and likely will for another 30 years). they are supposed to watch the packers trail system as well. they are also responsible for the mountain "behind" moose mtn, which i am hoping will open to bikers this summer (shell built a new access road above the packers area)

shell is totally on our side in the debate, they agree with you about clear cutting vs. trail cutting, unfortunately we got screwed a few years ago with teh jean guy fiasco and it will take some time to repair that damage. CMBA is very very active in the moose mtn. area.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I found out a pile of information. First I was up there on Jan 2nd and its still the same.

I talked to CMBA who passed me on to the Kananaskis parks who passed me off to the Friends of Kananaskis. http://www.kananaskis.org/ They organize a volunteer monthly trail maintenance in cooperation with the park rangers.

By coincedence they already have moosepackers and Tom Snow on their list of trails to cleanup. Since they have not picked a day or gotten people organized they are thrilled to help us. They will provide all the tools, and a trail maintenance leader to help with the work and get all the approvals with the Park wardens. So they won't freak out when they hear chain saws...

So we just need to pick a weekend and they will deal with the rest.

Scott

Formerly DMR For Life
    that is amazing that makes it super easy...
    my one restriction is that i'm finishing school the end of april and so I don't know what my schedule will be after that other than that any saturday(i have plans every sunday) would work for me
    DMR

May 2005

works for me

Saturday's are all good for me as well and i know i have some friends that will come out to play as well....Kona

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I sent some pictures of moosepackers to the parks canada. They thought I was talking about the muddy section at the bottom. They never realized how bad the top section was! OMG how often do they look at the trails out there! Obviously I was talking to some desk jockey...

Oh well they now understand the condition of the trail and what needs doing. They wanted to know when the snow clears out there to schedule the work. I always leave that trail to later in the year since the bottom is so muddy. Does anyone know when the top is dry?

mtbr member
    so has anybody heard any more news about when some trail work will be going on? I would love to get out and help.

KAIZEN!

Moose Packers still covered in deadfall!

The first weekend in May, my wife and I rode Sulphur Springs, Moose Mtn / Moose Packers (aptly named as we "packed" our bikes over logs up and down through the brush for 15 minutes at the top!) and finished on Tom Snow and the trails were in awesome (VERY dry!) shape overall. Still some snow in the trees at higher elevations / north facing slopes.

We last rode Moose Packers last August and there weren't that many trees knocked down... looks like wind / precipitation / erosion causes?

I would love to get in there to do some maintanance... too bad we could get a quad or two to transport some chainsaws and extra gas from the parking lot at the top!

I hope people keep us posted if we can do a couple of hours work in there to make it more rideable again... I would be willing to help!
    Dean

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the delay... I switched jobs and lost the contact information. So it took me a while to find it again. Here is the latest responce from Erika with Kananaskis parks.

Funny, I was just talking to the
    trails foreman 10 minutes ago about Moose Packers. Hopefully within the
    next few weeks he is going to do all of the necessary chainsaw work (I'm
    not allowed to let volunteers use chainsaws) and then we can organize a
    group of volunteer to do the clean up. He's going to let me know ASAP
    when he's doing the chainsaw work. I'll keep you updated.

So once they get the logs cut then we can go up there and help clean up the trail. Hopefully it won't take too long for them to get in there and do the work.

Scott

mtbr member
    When was this?

On Saturday, on the climb to Jumpingpound, on Summit Trail, we noticed some fresh chainsaw work on deadfall. So they sure are doing stuff.

Let us know when you find out anything else. Packers is awesome - we need to get it onto shape. Can't wait to ride it.

Cheers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

KAIZEN!

... and if we just ... Moose Packers is now clear!!!

Howdy,

Just spoke to my friend last night during our post-ride meal at the Powderhorn Saloon in Bragg. He rode Moose Packers this past Saturday and said all the logs have been been cut and cleared plus he thought it looked like they had done some repairs to the trail.

I rode Tom Snow last night and at the bottom when you turn onto Tom Snow, they have created a detour (permanent?) around that short, steep hill... and done a nice job of it! This has been there for a month or so, but good to see!

Our tax dollars (finally) at work!

On a related note, I heard the Elbow Valley Cycle Club is holding a work party either this weekend or next up on Jumping Pound Ridge - near the top - to help fight the erosion... check their website for details. I believe Ursula Wolfarth is heading it up.
    Dean

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Good to go

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeygod
    Howdy,

Just spoke to my friend last night during our post-ride meal at the Powderhorn Saloon in Bragg. He rode Moose Packers this past Saturday and said all the logs have been been cut and cleared plus he thought it looked like they had done some repairs to the trail.

I rode Tom Snow last night and at the bottom when you turn onto Tom Snow, they have created a detour (permanent?) around that short, steep hill... and done a nice job of it! This has been there for a month or so, but good to see!

Our tax dollars (finally) at work!

On a related note, I heard the Elbow Valley Cycle Club is holding a work party either this weekend or next up on Jumping Pound Ridge - near the top - to help fight the erosion... check their website for details. I believe Ursula Wolfarth is heading it up.

I just rode Moose Packers a couple of days ago and it is all cleared and in excellent shape up top. No snow left (aside from a couple of small patches, not on the trail) and pretty dry up top. It is almost like riding through a tunnel at the beginning of the trail because there is so much cleared blow down piled up.

Check your speed on the first switch back, as it is even more eroded and technical than before. the other switch backs are pretty beat as well. It seems the trail becomes more technical, the more weathered it is.

There are a couple of trees down on Tom Snow on the way back. Lots of mud/puddles on a few sections on Tom Snow on the way back. If it rains anytime soon, the ride back will be a complete mud fest.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ronny
    I just rode Moose Packers a couple of days ago and it is all cleared and in excellent shape up top. No snow left (aside from a couple of small patches, not on the trail) and pretty dry up top. It is almost like riding through a tunnel at the beginning of the trail because there is so much cleared blow down piled up.

Check your speed on the first switch back, as it is even more eroded and technical than before. the other switch backs are pretty beat as well. It seems the trail becomes more technical, the more weathered it is.

There are a couple of trees down on Tom Snow on the way back. Lots of mud/puddles on a few sections on Tom Snow on the way back. If it rains anytime soon, the ride back will be a complete mud fest.
    I was also up there yesterday, but elected to ride Special K for the first time. There are a few trees down and some debris here and there, but it's mostly rideable (not really for XC bikes though - steep and knarly). Conditions are good, like Ronny said, just the odd mud here and there, mostly on lower Tom Snow.

Members who have read this thread: 0