Galena Miracle mine loop- Mtbr.com
    conjoinicorned

Galena Miracle mine loop

been staring at this one for a few years (#82) and finally decided to give it a go. beautiful views, brutal climbs, and some of the nicest far backcountry singletrack i've ever ridden. not really technical, but quite steep in spots with a few sketchy sections...and all on the headwall of the Great Divide. 65km, there is some routefinding involved.

kstar and x-ker at 8:00 am

some unusually rideable trail for an eastcott sufferfest

this is more like it

riding right on the headwall

beautiful peaks on the Divide

varied terrain

rest of the pics here
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    NICE!! I really,really,really wish I was there and not stuck out in the bald ass prairie.
    It's go time

utilitarian biker
    Hey Ferday,
    I thinking about going out to Banff and riding the northern tier of the GDMBR down to Roosville, MT (215 miles) next year around the first of september.

Any info you can share on this? HAve you done that section of the official route?

Wonding what the weather is like in that area during early september and what type of trails I can expect. ( I supposed the official GDMBR is fireroad mostly?)
    Long live long rides.

mtbr member
    This slice of trail was on the Great Divide Trail, not the GDMBR (confusing, I know).

The GDT is mostly a hiker only trail - there are a few section that allow bikes - that starts North of Jasper and ends on the border near Waterton. It connects with the Continental Divide Trail South of the border.

Weather should still be good for an early September start on the GDMBR. I've ridden a few sections of it over the years, all between Banff and the elk valley, and always as part of another ride. From what I've seen of it (and from all of the GDMBRace blogs I've read) you are correct in that the GDMBR is mostly fire road.

I'm going to catch a bunch of flak from my riding buddies for saying this, but I'd imagine that a hardtail 29er would be a perfect bike for this trip.

Members who have read this thread: 0