Forbidden Plateau in Cumberland Access- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Forbidden Plateau in Cumberland Access

I see some areas say unsanctioned, but seems there is not enforcement in some areas. With this area though Trail Forks indicates some work that started in July so is this an area where people actually don't want bikers?

I'm going toward Victoria and taking a ferry from there. In Nanaimo now, but skipped that area in Cumberland. Did not care much for the main Cumberland area compared to Nanaimo, Squamish, or North Shore (riding mainly black diamonds). Is it worth swinging back for Forbidden Plateau or should I just ride more of the trails Nanaimo and southward?

ups and downs
    There's active logging in the area now, so the trails would be closed to avoid running into logging equipment, trucks and falling trees.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by michael1 View Post
    ...Did not care much for the main Cumberland area...
    Wait, what?
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Wait, what?
    I was thinking the same thing.........
    97' Brodie Expresso
    00' Turner RFX
    08' Turner RFX
    13' Surly Troll
    15' Surly ICT
    20' Knolly Warden

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgprimo View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.........
    Not bad, just prefer Nanaimo, Squamish, and North Vancouver. Part of it is the bike I have: Canfield balance with coils front and rear. Main Cumberland area seems to have a lot of flattish areas, which I'd definitely want to come back and ride on a singlespeed.

It seems a bit like Bend, Oregon on steroids, but I also didn't care much for Bend, which is pretty popular too.

The Black diamond trails I did had a lot of straight steep narrow sections that were lightly rutted. Lots of off-camber switchbacks. Maybe more fun for people who can ride faster than me and hit the jumps. I'm inexperienced with these sorts of trails, having done a lot more rocky technical trails (San Luis Obispo, California).

Just rode Chainsaw Ridge and Meatdraw today and loved those trails, as well as the lower trails. Maybe Forbidden Plateau would be more my style. I'm guessing it will be open next summer?

mtbr member
    Is it worth swinging back for Forbidden Plateau or should I just ride more of the trails Nanaimo and southward?
    Forbidden Plateau is definitely my favourite riding network in the Cumberland area. Unbelievably fun. Steeper and rockier than the main Cumberland trails.

I have ridden it in the past while logging was underway without a lot of issues, but that sort of thing changes week to week so I would not go by any info that isn't current.

Dodge City Cycles would know and they are super helpful.

Phone: (250) 336-2200
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Forbidden Plateau is definitely my favourite riding network in the Cumberland area. Unbelievably fun. Steeper and rockier than the main Cumberland trails.

I have ridden it in the past while logging was underway without a lot of issues, but that sort of thing changes week to week so I would not go by any info that isn't current.

Dodge City Cycles would know and they are super helpful.

Phone: (250) 336-2200
    Thanks for the tip! Yeah, they said they are all done with logging and that Iron Horse trail is fairly damaged, but most of the rest is good.

Should have looked into this before leaving :/ Not sure if I'll make the drive back up from Nanaimo on this trip. Going to hit up Mount Prevost on way to Victoria and then be done. I could probably use a full rest week and a bit more easy base building road rides since I'm sort of just getting back into mountain biking and lacking endurance.

mtbr member
    I could probably use a full rest week and a bit more easy base building road rides since I'm sort of just getting back into mountain biking and lacking endurance.
    Are you based out of Victoria?

The climb up to the top of Forbidden is savage so if you aren't feeling strong it's best to leave for another time. The effort is more than worth it, but it's shelled folks I've ridden with.

Next trip to the Cumby area given it a go. You'll come back with a huge smile on your face.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Are you based out of Victoria?

The climb up to the top of Forbidden is savage so if you aren't feeling strong it's best to leave for another time. The effort is more than worth it, but it's shelled folks I've ridden with.

Next trip to the Cumby area given it a go. You'll come back with a huge smile on your face.
    I'm sort of based in Seattle, but living nomadically out of a van. I felt pretty burnt out yesterday after the long climb up Mount Prevost so I'm ready for a longer recovery with more Z1/Z2 on road bike -- the intensity of the downhills too is burning me out. Looking forward to it next summer!