First trip to BC Recommendations- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

First trip to BC Recommendations

Riding the Pacific Northwest has been on my bucket list and I may be able to take a trip there in July. I'm pretty open with the type of riding but would love great scenery and flow mixed in with some small tech - ~3' drops, table (no gap) jumps, etc.

Any recommendations on places to ride and some sort of itinerary?

Any events going on there in mid-July?

Also, places to camp or lodge for cheap?

And finally, any other adventure stuff you would recommend or any chance to get out on the water?

EDIT: Just found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvgl...2vp5Yf&index=2 If I want to follow Seth's lead, possibly:

Day 1/2: Douthie Hill Mountain Bike Park / Bellingham

Day 3/4: Whistler

Day 5/6: ?
    Last edited by bank5; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Squamish sounds like the ticket. Plenty of riding to keep an strong intermediate to advanced rider amused for many days. Easy access from Vancouver airport, you don't really don't need a car either if you are prepared to pedal a little. If you do have a car, day trips up to Whistler/Pemberton/North Shore will open up options. The riding anywhere is this area is generally more tech than flowy, but there is something for everyone.

Itinerary would be based on duration/access to transportation.

I'm not aware of any major events in mid-July, but I'm not a local. Crankworx in Whistler is the big one, but that's early August.

Plenty of accommodation options from dirtbagging, proper camping and 5 star resorts.

Howe Sound in Squamish will give you access to water sports, depending on what you have in mind.

Whistler would provide you with plenty of other adventure options as well.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    We did a road trip from SoCal last year and his Ashland, Bellingham and then Squamish before heading into Whistler for 8 days. Trust me, Whistler alone has plenty to keep you busy for those 6 days on your agenda. It is better than the hype and has all types of riding other than beginner trails. That being said, I agree with CptSydor that Squamish is awesome as well. I will definitely be spending more time there on my next trip...3 days vs 1.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The thing with BC is there is killer mountain biking every where. Nearly every single town of reasonable size (5000 or more) has a significant mountain bike network.

The top 5 in no order and in my opinion are:
    1. Squamish
    2. Whistler
    3. Revelstoke
    4. Fernie
    5. Rossland.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Perfect, thanks all. Will definitely add Squamish to the list!

Raleigh
    I did my first BC trip last Aug with my girl. She unfortunately broke her arm 3wks before the trip so she couldn't ride.

Anyways, Squamish has a cool vibe. Great sights and trails. Plenty of decent food & beer. I grabbed an airbnb for about $50/night. Using Squamish as my home base, it was easy to get to other areas.

I rode Squamish 2 days, and Fromme, Whistler and Pemberton 1 day each.

First rides in BC were in Squamish - started off with Leave of Absence, Rupert, Man Boobs, Rollercoaster, etc. Thought this was a fairly decent way of easing myself into BC riding. In the end, Somewhere Over There was probably my favorite Squamish trail.

One of the highlights of the trip was in Whistler doing Into the Mystic, On The Rocks and LoTS. Alpine riding was incredible. Views are insane.

Wished I had another 2-3wks in BC, was fun as hell!

You'll have a blast!
    2019 Salsa Cutthroat Rival 1
    2017 Santa Cruz TB3 CS
    Gloworm XS on bars
    Gloworm Alpha on helmet
    @tubbnation (IG)

mtbr member
    Definitely consider Rossland. We stay at the Rossland Lions Community Campground. It's clean, has free showers, close to town and is usually full of other mt bikers from around Canada and the US. The town is super low key, and typically, you'll have the trails to yourself. And of course, the riding is excellent.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

The Riddler
    Any thoughts on Fernie vs Nelson for the last stop on a Golden-Revelstoke-Sol-Rossland trip?

At the moment, I'm debating eliminating either to spend more time in the rest of the towns (12 day trip), but could also consider skipping Golden and adding Fernie or Nelson instead. Thanks for any thoughts!