Fernie or Kanaskis/Canmore???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Fernie or Kanaskis/Canmore???

I want to take my young fella (24) on a 3 day mid week mtb vacation. We are trail riders and my preference is for tight, twisty, flowing singletrack with extremely long descents. Steep is okay but I prefer not to give up elevation to quickly as I like to savor the flow. My son likes it fast. We would be heading out from Red Deer and riding all 3 days so driving time is a factor. I have a little experience in K country but Fernie sounds great.

Anyone with experience at both?

Camping?

Anything else?

Thanks
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

conjoinicorned
    i have extensive experience in both areas. kananaskis/canmore is nice and has some good riding, but fernie is really a world apart, riding of all kinds. camping in fernie area is great, not usually full by any means. i ride kananaskis a lot because i'm from calgary and it's close.

check out this site:

http://www.crankfernie.com/

if you have any questions about kananaskis, PM me and i'll be happy to talk. if you have any more questions about fernie, go thru the site i gave you it's pretty in-depth.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member

Fernie

Thanks, we are going to Fernie but there's a lot of trails to pick from. It sounds great.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

conjoinicorned
    hedonism is a classic singletrack. don't go to fernie without riding it.

the website crankfernie tends to overestimate (ie. most of the blacks are really blues) so don't go by the rating system. you probably want to pick the trails with a minimum of stunts, fernie has a lot of "mandatory" drops and such on the harder trails.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member

Thanks

Hedonism it is.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    IN Fernie check out splitting bears/ hessian good fun make sure to buy a trail map at any LBS theres tons of good trials to choose from Up stove trail and down Dem bones is a classic and right at the campground. Ski hill has lots of fun riding but the lifts dont open til july

mtbr member
    666, that's the number of my above post, is this some kind of sign? Thanks for the suggestions. We will be there 1st week of July and may ride the lift 1 day.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    3 Kings and the Microwave Tower are the best shuttles in the area.

Members who have read this thread: 0