Family trip to Whistler, any advice/tips welcome- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Family trip to Whistler, any advice/tips welcome

Im in the early stages of planning a family trip to Whistler with my wife and 2 kids (will be 4 & 6). Well be there for 10-14 days, and rather than trying to re-invent the wheel, thought Id check in to see if anyone had any advice/tips?

Were coming from New Zealand so will fly in to Van airport. In the past we have got a shuttle of some sort to Whistler, but this was always planned by someone else and normally as part of a larger group. Given its just the 4 of us, Im thinking that hiring a van big enough for 4 bikes could be a good option as it will then give us a transport option for day trips etc as well. I am having trouble finding anything online in terms of places that hire this type of vehicle though. I can find mini vans but they wont be large enough to fit bikes inside. Id also be happy with a Ute/truck and put the bikes in the back. Does anyone have any suggestions where I could hire vehicles like this? Would it actually end up being easier/a lot cheaper to just get a shuttle up, if so are there any companies that youd recommend we check out?

In terms of accomodation, looking on Air BnB there are quite a few options, but if anyone has done anything similar and has a suggestion of somewhere that worked well Im all ears.

Our kids both ride, and well get them out on the trails as much as we can, but my wife and. I would also like to head out for some riding ourselves. It seems like there are quite a few child care options, but is there anything in particular that you guys have used that you would recommend. Id quite like to book them in to a lesson or two as well, seems like a great opportunity for them, and it will also give us some time to ride for ourselves too ;-)

We are flexible in terms of time of year also. We have been to Crankworx twice but havent been for biking at any other time of the year. Wed prefer not to go over Crankworx again, so are there any recommendations as to when to go?

And if theres anything else youve found works/doesnt work and youd like to share Id be keen to hear about it!

mtbr member
    I won't be much help but I'm here now and could tell you there are kids of every age group in local camps & lessons all over the place. On our way thru Vancouver, we saw a group that had obviously rented a full size pick-up truck and had (4) full size bikes draped over the tailgate so rentals are out there. I purposely chose to come before Crankworx assuming the trails will be in better condition. No idea if that's true but the trails are in awesome condition.

As far as lodging, I always use VRBO to find rentals. I find it much easier to navigate than AirBnB.
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2018 Intense Tracer (Sold to son)
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Could do shuttle/bus up to whistler, then rent a vehicle in Whistler when you need it from Avis in the village, would make more sense because on a day to day basis you probably don't need one, you've been before so probably know that it's pretty easy to just bike around. 4 is pretty young for bike lessons, I don't know if there's any day camps that start that young

mtbr member
    We are headed to Whistler early August with our kids aged 8 and 10. We are driving so I can't help you with a vehicle rental but I'm pretty sure Budget rents trucks.

We have rented a 2 bedroom condo through VRBO. I will let you know how that is after our trip but I am sure it will be great. We have rented other places in other locations through VRBO and AirBnB and have never been disappointed.

As for the kids, we are putting ours in day camp so that we can do some real riding during the days without them and then some easier rides in the evenings with them. The camp looks amazing. Mountain biking in the mornings and then beach time/swimming/SUPing/canoeing in the afternoons. I know there are a whole bunch of different options for combo camps though if you don't think this would fit the bill. They have camps for kids as young as 3. We are doing the full 5 day camp, but they do also have single day rates as well. Here is the link to the camp. https://www.whistlersportsacademy.co...ombo-camps.php

I will let you know how our trip goes and if I have any great tips for you. We are super excited for our trip!

mtbr member
    We just hiked in the Lost Lake area this morning and ran across a group of (3) FOUR year old kids (1 boy & 2 girls) out on a lesson or guided ride. We first ran across them on a graded green climbs and then saw then going down an easy blue. I stopped to ask the boy how old he was and he said "four and there quarters". these kids up here are killing it.

I'm also amazed at the quality of kids bikes out there with full suspension and disc brakes.
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2018 Intense Tracer (Sold to son)
    2017 Intense Primer