Ewok Forest..where is it?- Mtbr.com

Nov 2005

Ewok Forest..where is it?

alright, ive been e-searching for directions to this place since i seen couple of pics in this forum of it a couple weeks back...where the hell is it?

i know the builders dont want people to knwo about it btu i heard there is some good north shore style stuff there...i cant even find a general location other than edmonton, so anybody know where this is or has directions from lets say revolution cycle (142 st and stony plain road i think)

please help me i want to pay this place a visit

Double-metric mtb man
    It is below Forest Heights Park and above the Multi-Use trail between the Dawson Bridge and the Cloverdale (Muttart) Foot Bridge.

The easiest way to get onto it is to go to the Riverdale Golf Course parking lot and start west on the Multi-Use trail...you'll barely be started and there is a fairly steep climb that branches off to the left (it's "right there" so keep your eyes open). Take that left, climb up onto the single track and you're set. You'll eventually pop out onto the Multi-Use trail again.

Hope it helps.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Don't miss the bit on thre river side of the multi use trail.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

Double-metric mtb man
    True, very true....

There is a great segment of single track right along the river in the same stretch ....just watch out for the low deadfall in a couple places...if you're taller like me, you'll need to dismount to get under it.

dreaming of bottlerockets
    The shore stuff that used to be there has been torn down awhile ago (before I started riding, afaik).

It's still great singletrack, and its always a blast to ride.
    if it ain't broke you ain't ridin' hard enough
    http://www.outdoorsclub.ca - I'm the webmaster and I help run trips!

mtbr member

where did the Ewoks go?

In two seasons I've yet to find Ewok forest, I've had friends take me there but to find it myself I can't seem to... so using your directions and some fancy(ok some what normal) google earth work I think I found it... can someone confirm this to me please. Then from the trailhead is it the forested area that heads west toward muttart or the forested area that heads south and skirts between the roadway and then field?

p.s. the green line represents one of my fave singletracks. I rode it yesterday and it's quite tracked down so it's a good ride right now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I was thinking that this summer I'd map out some of the edmonton trails, including ewok with the GPSr, but you've found it with Google Earth. Anybody else with a GPSr interested in mapping out some local trails?

Double-metric mtb man
    The green line you have on there is the lower part of the Ewok Forest that Travis mentioned. The other part starts just at the start of the MUT leading southeast from the parking lot. There is a steep climb on the left hand side (as you leave the parking lot). Go up and you're in

Double-metric mtb man
    Hi Ribald,

I got an Edge 305 this winter. It has the Sirf chipset in it and I'm going to be trying to get tracks done too. Maybe (once I figure things out a bit more with it) we can do a few together.

mtbr member
    awesome thanks for the confirm. I"ve got an older GPS that I've got no clue how to use, thinking of getting a garmin geko I would love to help map. I'm also trying ot find Gretzky's Root. I know approx where it is but help to find it would be awesome.

mojo mofo
    Quote Originally Posted by thekrow4jc
    In two seasons I've yet to find Ewok forest, I've had friends take me there but to find it myself I can't seem to...
    Oh, so that's the Ewok forest. I used to live in Forrest Heights and ride through there almost every week. Then, like last year, a guy at a LBS was telling me about this 'Ewok forest' that I had to check out sometime, but he was all secretive about its location.

It's a great place to hang out and let a summer rain shower pass, the trees do a pretty good job keeping the light rain out. There's a pretty hard climb to get out of there back up to Forrest Heights from the parking lot for the golf course, just before the sidewalk that goes up Rowland Road.

I think I've ridden most of the public trails around, just don't know their names. Maybe when you guys map 'em out you can get a few names up with them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ribaldmanikin
    I was thinking that this summer I'd map out some of the edmonton trails, including ewok with the GPSr, but you've found it with Google Earth. Anybody else with a GPSr interested in mapping out some local trails?
    I picked up a Garmin Legend in the Fall to use while riding; even have the bike mount installed for it. Wouldn't mind exchanging map files as I mainly ride the same areas (incl the lower ewok forest)

Double-metric mtb man
    Gretzky's Root....isn't that the little trail connecting the Capilano Bridge to the trails to Goldbar Park (without having to go all the way up to 106 Ave?).

mtbr member

gretzky's root

my understanding was it's a very rooty section somewhere on the trails southside of the river from shaw conference center to kinsmen. I was told it's a on a hill that's v shapped and is all roots. teh trail is shaped like a hockey stick, hence the name.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I've never heard of Gretzky's Root.

It sounds like a lot of riders have GPSrs. That's always a good thing. I don't have a bike mount, I just stick mine in the camelback, and it picks up a signal fine. I use a Magellan Explorist 400.

I'm pretty sure all the GPSrs that have a PC connection will work with Google Maps.

If we get the trails mapped, I'll throw up a simple website that hosts them.

Jul 2005
    Hey brian, when you are going to check it out gimme a shout! I'd like to check it out too...heard a few things about it.

Anyone got any info on the condition its usually in for some early spring riding??

And whats it got in the way of stunts??

Double-metric mtb man
    If you're talking Ewok, you'll want to make sure that it has a chance to dry a bit before you hit it. It has a fair bit of cover and will stay wet for a while...and in some areas it gets very soft when wet (meaning erosion can be a major concern).

Jul 2005
    ah, alright...thanks for the heads up!

I'm just itchin' to get out and ride

Nov 2005
    haha...never thought id see you on this end of the old interweb again.

this is an old thread from last spring, i was planing on checking it out then. now i have the trails here and rabbit...so the ride is not nesicary

so you still got next week off school? we are most likley building monday till about 5-6. and i get my license friday!

Jul 2005
    Yeah, I'm off all of this week. I would have came out and helped today but I was in Marmot.

You can tell its getting close to good weather again when i start comin back around the MTBR forums. hahah

Matt is talking about giving up biking this season. So I need new riding buddies...be my new riding buddy man!! hahaha

Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BascoRider
    Yeah, I'm off all of this week. I would have came out and helped today but I was in Marmot.

You can tell its getting close to good weather again when i start comin back around the MTBR forums. hahah

Matt is talking about giving up biking this season. So I need new riding buddies...be my new riding buddy man!! hahaha
    what does ,att have to do thats all so important?...drink beer and watch football?

anyway...ya call me up, ill have a car next week so i may be able to come hit some of your local trails

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I was actually ripping through the forest today on the SS and here's a few shots from last fall to make you dream of warmer days...

There's been some significant erosion in some of the sections which are going to make riding and hiking pretty treacherous if they get any worse.

If there was a place where a bunch of concerned cyclists and hikers should come together and approach the city about some repairs, this would be it.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

mtbr member
    sixty... i was thinking the same last night. i did an ewok ride mid evening before sunset an noted the erosion (i.e. apparent land slide. i was thinking petition the city or form a mtb colilition to preserve trails and maybe get permission to rebuild others.

Jul 2005
    I would most definitely be down for that. Something really has to get done, because the spruce grove municipal gov won't do anything for us MTB'ers. They built us jumps, but didn't maintain them so a buddy and me tried to take on the project just to find them completely flattened by skaters.
    So I am just going to ride in Edmonton and Rabbit from now on so I will join in helping preserve/build E-Town trails for sure.
    As for riding my local trails...they are basically non-existent. haha, there isn't even anywhere around that we can build trails without being slapped with some fairly hefty fines. I am probably going to spend a lot of time this spring scouting out some possible riding spots though.

And Bryan, Matt doesn't want to bike anymore because he said he hasn't progressed in the past three years of biking. I am just going to give'er this year and see where it takes me.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I think "E Town Riders" has a nice ring to it.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BascoRider
    I would most definitely be down for that. Something really has to get done, because the spruce grove municipal gov won't do anything for us MTB'ers. They built us jumps, but didn't maintain them so a buddy and me tried to take on the project just to find them completely flattened by skaters.
    So I am just going to ride in Edmonton and Rabbit from now on so I will join in helping preserve/build E-Town trails for sure.
    As for riding my local trails...they are basically non-existent. haha, there isn't even anywhere around that we can build trails without being slapped with some fairly hefty fines. I am probably going to spend a lot of time this spring scouting out some possible riding spots though.

And Bryan, Matt doesn't want to bike anymore because he said he hasn't progressed in the past three years of biking. I am just going to give'er this year and see where it takes me.
    hahaha...thats cause theres no where to progress on. whatever, lets see if rabbit can do a good job with thier trails this year

what are you doing thursday? we are hitting the rabbit bike trails on our not snowboards its so much fun you should join

Jul 2005
    Thursday Matt and I are heading up to tawatina for some skiing. We're heading to rabbit for the day tomorrow though.

Sep 2006
    I've been to ewok once during the summer and it was pretty fun. The erosion added some gaps to jumps and etc. but it certainly isn't a good thing in the long run. It took me and a friend all day to get there since we live in the west end so we were tired even before we got to the trails.
    And Freerider, let me know next time you're out riding or building. I'll be up for any thing this year. seeing how i got my new bike shortly before it started snowing. When are you getting your 416? one of my friends is looking at one and would like to hear what you think of it.

Double-metric mtb man
    Her Derrie, depending on where you are in the west end, you may have to invite 65'er and I along for a ride sometime...we're both good for a pre and post ride commute

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Pre and post ride commutes are the shizzle.

There were quite a few days last year when I put in 80 plus km without leaving the city...half of that would be the commute / work while the other 40 was either off road mayhem or a road ride.

Mind you..until I fit some beefier wheels and tires to the Trek 7500 none of my off road bikes have more than 1 gear and commuting on Jenny is out of the question since I'm running a 32:18.

I figure that the 7500 will accomodate a 29'r wheelset and will be a killer on the trail.

Double-metric mtb man
    hehehe, that's why I like Naomi...I have many gears for commuting, trail riding and climbing Walterdale Hill

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    MIke - there is only one spot in the Ravine I can't climb with Yuki..it's that really short, vertical, and gnarly section on the west side of the creek. The issue has been all about traction.

The 7500 has gears and really big tires... I can't wait to get her out on the trail and into the forest as I figure it will be a mind altering experience.

And you my friend will be coming over the dark side even if I have to drag you... did I mention that I built up an SS crank the other night and was working on tuning up some wheels ?

mtbr member
    sad to say but now theres gears on one of my bikes! my rocky mountain just got heavier with gears... gosh I hope i remember how to use gears But I can see them being helpful at times. If only she had a suspension fork as well.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    More than 70% of my bikes still have gears.

It's just that the single geared ones seem to be getting the most use of late.

Double-metric mtb man
    He 65'er, is that section the one just before the little paved path that goes E-W...the one you come around a curve and it is right there? Man, I've not been able to clear it yet...mostly because my wheelbase puts me nosing one root as my rear is just trying to get over the other... 0 traction and the momentum dies.

Double-metric mtb man
    hehehe! 100% of mine have gears

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Mike - Thats the same spot... Jenny and I can clear it on a good day and I should be able to do it on Yuki once the trails is dry.

It is a really challenging spot as you have to come off the corner at good speed, go nearly straight up, and dodge roots and rocks along the way.

I should have said that 70% of my bikes have more than one gear and that percentage will change now that the old CCM is resting in the shop as she too is a singlespeed.

I posted a few pics here and there.

Sep 2006
    Hah, sounds like it could work out sometime this summer. its just that for me, the fun is in the trails, preferably downhill ones too. All my bike have gears but my bmx racer.

Double-metric mtb man
    There's always the "Town-E Riders," "Ed's River Valley Raiders," and the "Edmonchuck muck huckers."

Double-metric mtb man
    Hehehe...remember down at the lookout in Ewok how you hated the steps on the Kewie and I was able to roll them fairly well? Reverse issue for that spot in Mill Creek for me. Naomi's wheelbase is just wrong for that little climb and I get stopped cold or break loose and go nowhere.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Those steps are evil whether you're going up or down and Jenny likes taking them better.

Double-metric mtb man
    Naomi ate them up pretty easy....but that's a 5" travel trail bike vs stairs...

BTW, everyone wish me luck...I'm doing the testing for my MFR (medical first responder) course today.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Mike - Good luck on the test.

Double-metric mtb man
    hehehe...well the first part is over with....ran out of time for the practicals last night so I'll have to do it next week.

Oh well, at least on the positive side, I am feeling a lot better about it and shouldn't have any issues pasing the practical.

Members who have read this thread: 0