elbow pass....LOL- Mtbr.com
    conjoinicorned

elbow pass....LOL

i've been riding elbow for many years, and i know it's open late...but this was a little ridiculous 5-6km of snow at the pass, occasionally thigh deep. but the other 40km was in great shape. we were prepared.

what would rainbow unicorn do?

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    When did you ride it? I was thinking of going up there this week, but it looks like I might have to put my studded Schwalbe's back on.

Nice pics, btw.
    Screw the shuttle, I'm riding to the top. You're all worthless and weak!!!

conjoinicorned
    thnx

we rode saturday (june 19). quite the slog through the snow, but the rest of the trail was mint and it was fun to spit back at mother nature...

mtbr member
    Forgive my ignorance, but where is this trail located (BC interior?, Alberta, ?)

Looks pretty neat from the pictures and I wouldn't mind trying out the trail.

ups and downs
    Just west of Bragg Creek in Alberta out at the very end of Hwy66. About 2200' of climbing in a 40km loop if I remember correctly, I always liked riding counterclockwise so you start with the 21km fire road climb and have the singletrack downhill. The clockwise climb gives you a 300m elevation gain in 1.5km out at the middle of the loop.

Here's a summer shot from one of the other posts from Ferday last year I believe. I think the pass is 7800' elevation, you're just below the 8000' treeline at the top.

Trailhead Latitude: 5047'19.13"N Longitude 11452'18.96"W
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails elbow pass....LOL-elbow-loop1.jpg  

I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    It's about 30 minutes west of Calgary. Here's a link to info about the trail.
    http://www.powderface.ca/Trails/elbow/elbow.htm

There are also reviews of the trail on MTBR, but in some cases I have to wonder if the reviewer was even on the right trail, like the one who said there was minimal elevation gain (ahem... I guess over 2,000 feet of climbing to the top of the pass doesn't count in his book), so take some of the reviews with a grain of salt. If all you like to ride is technical single track, then this ride isn't for you. If you like a ride that has a bit of everything, where you can ride it hard or simply make it a long leisure ride and enjoy the incredible views, then you'll enjoy this one.
    http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/trails-ar...1_4522crx.aspx

UPDATE: I just posted a GPS profile of the trail below (post 32) showing distance, elevation change, and grade.
    Last edited by BrentP; 07-04-2010 at 09:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Rocky is correct, especially about the counterclockwise part. You basically park beside the suspension bridge in Elbow Campground at the end of highway 66 and the trail begins there.

It's also listed in Backcountry Biking in the Canadian Rockies.
    Last edited by x-ker; 06-23-2010 at 10:08 AM.
    Everypony loves riding bikes

mtbr member
    Good info. Already working on getting down there in August with some riding buddies to do the loop. Thanks for the information!

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatri
    Good info. Already working on getting down there in August with some riding buddies to do the loop. Thanks for the information!

everything you need here.

mtbr member
    ...so, what do you do in regards to bears? Do you wear bells on your bikes or not? I've heard arguments for riding without bells and arguments for riding with bells.

conjoinicorned
    ...so, what do you do in regards to bears? Do you wear bells on your bikes or not? I've heard arguments for riding without bells and arguments for riding with bells.

sightings are common, but encounters are rare.

i ride with a bell when i'm solo, but with even one other person there i don't bother (it's annoying as hell). riding loudly helps (woot!)...you won't disturb a bear while climbing, it's on the descents you have to worry as you can sneak up on them quickly.

most people around here carry either bear spray or bangers (or both). don't get too paranoid....just be aware.

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    A 'dinner' bell? HIGHLY annoying. The best thing you can use to protect yourself from a bear encounter is your 'head'.

Bears are generally timid, unless surprised or with cubs. The only time I've ever come across one was on the final lap of the 24 Hours of Adrenalin a couple of years ago, when a black bear was standing on the middle of the trail. A pile of riders stacked up for a few minutes about 50' away, and the bear simply looked at us and eventually wandered off.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I love by bell it annoys the hell out of other riders.

mtbr member
    Okay, no bell. Thanks for the tips!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    unless you're from BC, better bring a bell and some bear spray.

Alberta bears know BCers make better eating.

ups and downs
    Just ride with someone slower than you, then even a grizzly isn't a worry.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    Just ride with someone slower than you, then even a grizzly isn't a worry.

Well unless he is in front of you.

ups and downs
    I think it was the second time I rode this loop way back in the late 80's where we were getting geared up to ride and the Ranger came over and said "There's been some grizzly activity on the trail, just keep your eyes open."

At that point I think our eyes were all open a bit rounder. And then everyone sort of sized up everyone else in the group, we all talked about a grizzly not bothering a group of a half dozen riders, but I think secretly we were all thinking "I can ride faster than those two guys, that guy is faster than me on descents, but I'm better at climbing so I won't be the last guy in the pack running away.

Subject to Whimsy
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by stokes
    unless you're from BC, better bring a bell and some bear spray.

Alberta bears know BCers make better eating.
    That's actually not true. We have too many granola types here whereas Albertans are known for their 'Alberta beef' and hence make better eating.

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowup
    That's actually not true. We have too many granola types here whereas Albertans are known for their 'Alberta beef' and hence make better eating.
    again, disagree...

the bears love getting stoned off of eating BC folks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    again, disagree...

the bears love getting stoned off of eating BC folks
    True, but the patchouli oil upsets their stomachs.

ups and downs
    And if they eat BC'ers they just end up with the munchies again shortly there after. .

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowup
    What are you talking about? Bears love to eat fruits and nuts. BC riders are a treat

ups and downs
    Wasn't that Gallagher's old joke about California being the granola state: "What ain't fruits and nuts is flakes."

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I can remember riding it in the fall sometime in the late 90's it was a quite weekday when a Ranger approached us on horseback warning us of Grizzly sitings near the summit.

There was fresh snow on the ground from the night before making it easy to see his tracks We saw the tracks but not the bear , he must have been close though as the water was just starting to flow through his freshly laid tracks. Made for a real high speed ascent and descent .

mtbr member
    Clockwise or counterclockwise that is the question:
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The slings and arrows of going the wrong way,
    Or to take arms against a sea of troubles
    And, by accepting either direction, end them.

Originally I rode Elbow clockwise, now I go counter. It's all good.

ups and downs
    When you start clockwise it was great singletrack until you get to that knackering 300m of elevation over 1.5km. That first climb that direction was done using the old school 24/36/48 and 12-28 gearing. I was riding very slowly up towards the top, right beside one of my riding buddies, just barely able to keep it going, we both rolled the front wheel into a 2" deep rain rut crossing the road and couldn't ride through, it was like hitting a log.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    without question..counterclockwise

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    Another vote for counter clockwise..

roots, rocks, rhythm
    I have only done it clockwise and the big elevation gain was short but painful.
    Guess I have to try it counter to really have an opinion.

As for bear bells-- hate them, they drive me crazy.
    Besides anyone heard of the Pavlov's experiment...........

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    or start from highwood pass (hyw 40), ride to elbow lakes, and join the loop at the mid-point. adds 15ish km and shorter drive if you are in the mountains already (I live in banff)
    good ski/bike deals at www.mntlion.com

My life is better than your vacation.

Shuttles R 4 Pussies

Here's the ride profile

I got one of my riding buddies to email me the GPS trail profile from one of our Elbow Loop rides last summer. ferday, you may want to add this to your excellent ride review on mbpost.com.

Higher res image here: https://file.walagata.com/w/bpcalgar...op_Profile.jpg

ups and downs
    That's the advantage of counterclockwise, that near vertical 70' of elevation change at 21km is really ugly going up.

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    That's the advantage of counterclockwise, that near vertical 70' of elevation change at 21km is really ugly going up.
    70 meters, you mean. Even worse

ups and downs
    Yes, 70m, much worse.

mtbr member
    Question on the single track downhill - what skill level is required to safely ride this? Could a beginner do it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Question on the single track downhill - what skill level is required to safely ride this? Could a beginner do it?
    worst case they walk some or it. I dont remember it being that much single track, or that hard. I think the bigger problem will be the overall distance, and elevation. not that friendly for a beginner (unless they road ride a bunch)
    good ski/bike deals at www.mntlion.com

My life is better than your vacation.

ups and downs
    The last time I rode that steep section it was old doubletrack, the singletrack was all quite ridable, except one section with big rocks.

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    Yep, the steep section to the south of the pass is rocky double track, smoothing out as you get lower. You need good skills and a good long travel bike to let it rip on the upper section if you're riding it counter clockwise. If you're doing it clockwise, you're in for a long uphill push if you're not in supreme shape.

The single track is a great flowing ride through the forest. You can really hammer it there, except for one steep rocky section that isn't rideable unless you're a trials rider with a really tall bottom bracket (I broke two Crank Bros. pedals in that section).

conjoinicorned
    there are no un-rideable sections on elbow, up or down...the descent is quite rocky in spots but traction is good and there is nothing steep...just go as slow as you want.

elbow is the perfect introduction to longer-distance mtb for beginners.

mtbr member
    Sounds great! Thanks for the information.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    FERDAY: Is that a single-speed 29er?!?!? Sweet!

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by KarateNinjaCougarMonkey
    FERDAY: Is that a single-speed 29er?!?!? Sweet!
    it is, and thanks. one one inbred.

it's my favorite bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Sweet! I have a custom Rocky Mountain Vertex TO single-speed frame. Used to race it on Vancouver Island years ago, love it!

Hey, have you ever ridden Lake Minnewanka? I'm doing a riding trip to various spots in eastern BC and Alberta. We'll be hitting Jasper and I wanted to ride something XC somewhere between Barrier and Banff. Sounds like Minnewanka is right up our ally in terms of terrain/technical. Even though I haven't been able to confirm it anywhere online, I've also heard Minnewanka can be ridden as a loop?

Thanks!

Andrew

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by KarateNinjaCougarMonkey
    Sweet! I have a custom Rocky Mountain Vertex TO single-speed frame. Used to race it on Vancouver Island years ago, love it!

Hey, have you ever ridden Lake Minnewanka? I'm doing a riding trip to various spots in eastern BC and Alberta. We'll be hitting Jasper and I wanted to ride something XC somewhere between Barrier and Banff. Sounds like Minnewanka is right up our ally in terms of terrain/technical. Even though I haven't been able to confirm it anywhere online, I've also heard Minnewanka can be ridden as a loop?

Thanks!

Andrew

try here for info on minnewanka. we ride it frequently, it's quite an easy trail.

however, it cannot be ridden as a loop, the trail on the other side of the lake is off limits to riders. in theory one can ride through the devils gap at the end of the lake, and into waiparous area...then complete the loop on the highway or via the transcanada trail....but you're looking at several hundred km!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    try here for info on minnewanka. we ride it frequently, it's quite an easy trail.

however, it cannot be ridden as a loop, the trail on the other side of the lake is off limits to riders. in theory one can ride through the devils gap at the end of the lake, and into waiparous area...then complete the loop on the highway or via the transcanada trail....but you're looking at several hundred km!

Sweet, thanks!

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    there are no un-rideable sections on elbow, up or down...the descent is quite rocky in spots but traction is good and there is nothing steep...just go as slow as you want.

elbow is the perfect introduction to longer-distance mtb for beginners.
    Since when did a 30 percent grade through boulders (km 29) become considered rideable by anyone other than an elite trials rider, or Superman?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentP
    Since when did a 30 percent grade through boulders (km 29) become considered rideable by anyone other than an elite trials rider, or Superman?
    Well I am not an elite trials rider or Superman.....and the whole thing is quite ridable counter clockwise....I havn't clean it yet but almost.

conjoinicorned
    ?

riding it counter clockwise, it's actually a pretty easy ride...

riding clockwise makes for a couple nasty climbs that may be unrideable, but really i will never again ride it clockwise as it's way less fun IMO

where are these boulder fields at 30% grade exactly? do you mean the two short, kind of nasty descents into the creek wash (they are around km29 i think)...definitely rideable!
    Last edited by ferday; 07-21-2010 at 04:36 PM.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=BrentP]Yep, the steep section to the south of the pass is rocky double track, smoothing out as you get lower. You need good skills and a good long travel bike to let it rip on the upper section if you're riding it counter clockwise.[\QUOTE]

I've gotta disagree here. You don't need skillz to descend the upper section, just good brakes...and you certainly don't need a long travel bike to rip it (I've seen ferday happily keep up with the rest of the unicorn crew on that section while he was riding his fully rigid, dirt drop, SS 29er)

The single track is a great flowing ride through the forest. You can really hammer it there, except for one steep rocky section that isn't rideable unless you're a trials rider with a really tall bottom bracket (I broke two Crank Bros. pedals in that section)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    Well I am not an elite trials rider or Superman.....and the whole thing is quite ridable counter clockwise....I havn't clean it yet but almost.
    I will agree that this isn't really a super beginner-friendly section, but I've never had any problems riding down this section without unclipping. As mentioned above take your time and go as slow as you want, check for your line before you commit, keep under control, and as long as you choose a good line you should have no issues rolling everything (no need to drop stuff on the way down). Traction may be a touch loose, but again, I've never had a problem.

Like JS, I am neither a trials rider nor superman (although I may be batman)

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    It's definitely rideable, except for the one mentioned section (unless you have super skills and a long travel bike, going down). I doubt there's anyone on the planet that could ride that section clockwise. Like I mentioned earlier, I've broken two titanium Crank Bros pedals on rocks while trying to ride down it.

conjoinicorned
    It's definitely rideable, except for the one mentioned section (unless you have super skills and a long travel bike, going down). I doubt there's anyone on the planet that could ride that section clockwise. Like I mentioned earlier, I've broken two titanium Crank Bros pedals on rocks while trying to ride down it.

hey we all have our thing...but that section is rideable down, on any bike.

it's been so long since i rode it clockwise, i'm now curious about how bad it would be riding up those sections...have to try it next time out there!
    Last edited by ferday; 07-22-2010 at 11:53 AM.

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    I've gotta disagree here. You don't need skillz to descend the upper section, just good brakes...and you certainly don't need a long travel bike to rip it (I've seen ferday happily keep up with the rest of the unicorn crew on that section while he was riding his fully rigid, dirt drop, SS 29er)
    You misunderstood me. When I say "let er rip", I mean ride it without using brakes. Using brakes isn't letting it rip in my mind. Of course you don't need skills or a long travel bike if you're on the brakes on the top section.

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    ?
    where are these boulder fields at 30% grade exactly? do you mean the two short, kind of nasty descents into the creek wash (they are around km29 i think)...definitely rideable!
    Yep... rideable down if your bottom bracket's not too low (like mine), unrideable up (unless you have pretty incredible skills)

mtbr member
    May 2006

Cleaned everything counter clockwise on Sunday...

Some guy did two laps clockwise...(we had a couple of newbies with us).

Betcha he made that climb or damn near.

Members who have read this thread: 0