Edmonton Spring/ Summer 2017- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Edmonton Spring/ Summer 2017

Let's go .....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Two road rides out in Ardrossan so far this year. Yesterday was super windy and super hard. Hopefully next weekend is better. Road the north side of the river valley last Wednesday and still pretty wet. Likely due to the ground still being frozen and not absorbing the snow melt.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Road the river valley yesterday from the Savage center, South to the Henday on west side and back on the east side. Mostly pavement, no single track. The gravel multi-use through Terwillegar was soft, wet, with the occasional large puddle and snow patch. I think it will be at least 7-14 days before things are dryish.

mtbr member
    I've obviously matured, because when the trails are crummy I've been enjoying boring loops out past terwillegar to henday and back. That gravel climb out of terwillegar sure gets messy, though. This weekend I was flinging rocks everywhere, and last fall it was so sticky that I locked-up my rear wheel.

mtbr member
    Most of the multi-use on the North East side is in good shape. The South East side still has a few big wet spots in the usual areas. (mostly around the boat launch)

mtbr member

Millcreek still too ugly, a few upper trails drying but not many.

Last edited by funnyjr; 04-04-2017 at 07:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Hit the keillor area at lunch to test the likelihood of an afterwork ride. And nope. Still waaaaaaay too much slime, even in the sunny areas. It'll be soon, but not today.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update. I'll avoid that area tonight.

mtbr member

Looks like Apr is down the crap shute for ST ...faaack

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Yep.
    Super excited to be off to Radium for the weekend to go hit some tacky BC dirt.

It's a good time of the year for trail work since riding isn't an option. There is lots of maintenance that needs to be done for anyone that is inclined that way.

mtbr member
    I really wanted to update my ride log on trail forks with all the single track that was almost dried out... but it'll be wet again this weekend!

mtbr member
    Friendly warning: don't springclean your bikes, because if you do you might notice a seatstay crack that's been there for who-knows-how-long.

mtbr member
    Or check it so I don't find you on the trailside with a broken seatstay up your *******.

mtbr member
    It's bittersweet, because I'm definitely glad I spotted it, but now I have to figure out what I'm actually going to do about it. The frame is steel so I could get it repaired & painted, or I could get a new frame and swap the parts over (which would mean relacing my wheels). Annoying.

mtbr member
    PSA from EMBA:

The City of Edmonton has informed us that Skyline trail https://www.trailforks.com/trails/skyline-trail/ has suffered some extensive damage due to erosion. Part of the trail has collapsed and is not passable. The city has been doing monitoring of the paved trail above Skyline and the data shows the ground in that area is very unstable and is continuing to move. For your safety, please do not ride the Skyline trail.

Skyline Trail Mountain Bike Trail - Edmonton, Alberta
    www.trailforks.com
    This trail flows right along the river bank giving some of the best views of the downtown Edmonton skyline. Rated black diamond due to exposure risk.

The Pipedream, Pogey, Wally and Pot Luck trails are on private property owned by ESSO. https://www.trailforks.com/trails/pot-luck/ To date ESSO has been very good about ignoring us and allowing users on these trails. They have recently informed us that they will be doing maintenance on some of their outlets this summer and will need to close some of these areas for parts of this season. They will be posting closure signs while the work is taking place. Please obey the closure signs and stay out of this area until the work is complete.

Pot Luck Mountain Bike Trail - Edmonton, Alberta
    www.trailforks.com
    Two entrances for Pot Luck, on the west a single track coming off from Wally and the other entrance from the junction of Pogey, on this entrance a...

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________

You can definitely see where Skyline is going to go bye bye once the ground under the paved trail gives way. The paved trail has some significant fractures and upheavals.

Hopefully riders respect the private land issue at Pogey, etc. If not, I wouldn't be surprised to see that entire area restricted and closed off for all future riding. 1 to 2 months of limited access versus no future access is a pretty easy choice. Let's hope everybody sees it that way too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Sounds like the last time I went to true my rear wheel... One small thing can lead to so much trouble. Probably just jinxed myself as I've had 5 or 6 trouble free rides in a row!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Ride skyline while you still can because it will fall into the river one day, but that day is not today. Walked it last night it's actually dry enough to ride. Until it rains/snows this weekend, of course. And as per ^ J's post fingers crossed people respect any esso closures.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update jkirkpatri.

Over the winter I was trying to get a photo of something, and I walked the closed lower section of Skyline (I think I remember jkirkpatri saying he'd helped build the reroute), and was surprised to see it had all disappeared.

And for anyone who's curious, with 54mm of precipitation so far, we're 4mm away from being the precipitationiest April ever recorded at the International (going back to 1960)

mtbr member
    And so yeah, soggiest April ever recorded at the International:

Edmonton Spring/ Summer 2017-apr23-animation-400-250-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    It has felt downright soggy the last several days. We are going to crush the previous record based on the current forecast.
    Hopefully we get some hot windy days in May to start to dry things out.

mtbr member
    Hmmm, that last one didn't do the fancy animation it was supposed to.

Anyway, already the soggiest by far. Yesterday pushed us up to the snowiest by 0.1mm.

Why do I have 3 mountainbikes, again?

mtbr member
    I did the central stuff this morning, and things weren't too bad.

Millcreek and Oldtimers and UofA were mostly good, but there are a few soggy spots that are bad enough to walk.

And I took a massive spill on the grassy area QE Park and the Brewery loop trail, which was just slime. Needed cyclocross tires for that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Trails are in amazing shape, with some exceptions. I am really surprised how fast things dried out.

mtbr member
    I don't know what's so magic about millcreek, but jkirkpatri and I are always bumping into each other there. Good to see you again!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I heard that this trail got bulldozed for mulit-use. Can anyone confirm or deny? https://www.trailforks.com/trails/bohemian-maid/

mtbr member
    I'd bet the east / west bohemian made into Old Brewery cut.
    JkirkPat had a photo on his strava today. You can see the drop / ramp still there.

mtbr member
    The drop from the little log-over is still there, but everything above that is now doubletrack. But then above that, the section that runs along the fence is still singletrack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    I don't know what's so magic about millcreek, but jkirkpatri and I are always bumping into each other there. Good to see you again!
    It's a magical place!!! Good to see you again as well!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikermitch View Post
    I heard that this trail got bulldozed for mulit-use. Can anyone confirm or deny? https://www.trailforks.com/trails/bohemian-maid/
    That's affirmative!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    That sucks, hopefully they continue to proceed with master plan for the Queen Elizabeth Park and build the bike park and single track that are on the plans.

mtbr member
    The multi-use above Skyline behind Old timers has been closed by the city, as it's in danger of caving in. As is Skyline. So if you're moving between Old Timers and the east side, your best bet is to ride through Mill Creek, rather than along the river.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    That sucks. I was kind of hoping with the outfall below and the houses above the city might actually do something to manage the slumping.

mtbr member
    A big thanks to all the saw-ninjas who cleared up the deadfall.

But now the bugs are out, and they're hungry. Normally a good cloud of Deepwoods Off is enough to keep them from coming too close, but today they were still landing just to doublecheck. Kindof felt like a horror movie - can't slow down, and definitely can't stop, or else you get swarmed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    ^yesterday as well. Forgot spray and had to cut the ride short.

As for the paved trail near Skyline, before it was simply the orange temporary fence that you could easily maneuver around, as of last night it is now a large, chain link fence that is impassable. Must be getting serious.

mtbr member
    I've been told that the city did a depth analysis on those pavement cracks above Skyline and they found that the cracks went fifty feet down. Pretty serious!

Green worm alert!

mtbr member
    Couldn't imagine that section caving in from pavement. Would be detrimental to the trail network.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I would hate to be one of the home owners in that area right now. But then again they probably have enough money that it doesn't matter.

mtbr member
    I was 2 years too early: Edmonton Spring/Summer 2015- Mtbr.com

I don't know what the city can do to fix that? Getting heavy equipment in there would be a pain, and it might take the whole thing down with it.

I avoided that area on the weekend, but do they have a detour through that alley and the oldtimers parking lot signed and identified?

mtbr member

HS newfangled, what are the numbers going down for this fridays lotto max?

mtbr member
    Green worms are out. Wear black as it's easier to pick a green worm off your black shirt than a green shirt.

All trails were in great shape last night from Old Timers to Flat Pete and back, on the south side of the river.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Anyone know of where I can start to learn some of the tricks and skills of biking? Should one just practice based on watching some youtube videos or are there any local clubs and stores offering this service? I ventured out with United back on their test ride day, but that's a bit intimidating when everyone is half your age, in better shape, riding e-bikes and with some existing crazy skills.

My current 'adventures' if you can call them that are here if interested.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    One of the best ways to learn is to ride with other people. There are a lot of different ridding clubs in the city. At the beginning of the year most of the shops/riding groups are pretty good at having some really introductory based rides. Now that is the middle of the ridding season I would say most groups are more intermediate or advanced as far as trails and pace are concerned but I could be wrong. I have only ridden with a couple of the clubs in the city. You could try calling around to the different bike shops and explain what your skill level is at and see if they have a group ride that would match your skill level.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Oh one more thing. I wouldn't be worried about the young guys kicking your ass. I have ridden with plenty of 50 year olds that could kick my ass on the trails any day.

mtbr member
    I forgot about this place. I basically hadn't mountain biked much at all since breaking my collarbone last year and then i sold my mountain bike.

Finally picked up a new mountain bike and i'm ready to roll for the rest of the summer.

New Thunderbolt 750. Edmonton Spring/ Summer 2017-19679108_10158788941170276_6940401159389014844_o.jpg

Edmonton Spring/ Summer 2017-19620906_10158788941175276_6380895418511055039_o.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by VagabondExpedition View Post
    Anyone know of where I can start to learn some of the tricks and skills of biking? Should one just practice based on watching some youtube videos or are there any local clubs and stores offering this service? I ventured out with United back on their test ride day, but that's a bit intimidating when everyone is half your age, in better shape, riding e-bikes and with some existing crazy skills.

My current 'adventures' if you can call them that are here if interested.
    Frankly I just head to Nelly McClung (behind Old Timers Cabin) and ride back and forth repeatedly so that a) I know the trail and b) I can compare each "run" to the others (I use a GPS watch and Strava). That way I can test different techniques and see why some work and some don't, and why I had my best time this time, worst time that time. I don't do tricks or care about technical rock hoppy stuff though so perhaps not what you are looking for.

mtbr member
    ^^^ thats what my wife did when she was learning. I think i took here there and we did 6 or 7 sessions back and forth on the canada cup trail there. not sure what it's called but not west coast, close to the river and not the split offs with the wooden bridges. But just ride around that area and walk anything that scares you too much but on that one trail and that area you will find easier versions of most of the stuff in the river valley. mostly roots.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Looking to get out (going through a nasty separation) and found some nice trails to go on.. it reminded me how much fun it is to climb on a well-sorted bike and just ride.

Did Terwillegar BSDM between the footbridges and the double track behind Fort Edmonton.

I'd like to give some of the other green trails in Terwillegar a try, when I don't have the kiddo. Any recommendations? I'm old and out of shape. Haha.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks! I've been going on rides first and then coming back to check out Trail Forks. I tried the other way around on the other side of Terwillegar Park and found it frustrating to find the trail I was looking for.

I did the Oleskiw Meadows on the cross bike last weekend and I had so much fun I tried to go on the single track that goes off to the right after you cross the footbridge but found the roots too much for skinny tires and no suspension.