Edmonton Spring/ Summer 2016- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Edmonton Spring/ Summer 2016

Welcome to Edmonton mtb spring/summer edition 2016 of shared mtb experiences. Things are drying up fast, trails are getting busier. More new trails every season and trail forks doing a great job to identify where they all are. Increased interest in the sport hopefully means more trail advocacy for mtb, new trail development/ maintenance. Looks like a great season ahead. Ride and share on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    There aren't any new trails! Just refurbished ones!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Two new ones in mill Creek showed up on trail Forks the other day. I think I'll be checking them out tonight.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Hey guys, almost 99% of the trails that are "new" are just refurbished old ones that haven't been used in years. Just a FYI. Trail Forks doesn't have all the trails on it so anything that pops up as new is again, almost guaranteed to be an existing trail.

Looking forward to riding Thursday night.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Yes I know that the real "New" trails are hidden on trail Forks.

Does anyone know if there was an old trail on the left side of the gravel path that leads to blue man group? I've looked in the woods section a few time and I think it would make a great connector to get to the top of blue man.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    So many questionably rated black diamonds on trailforks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    yes and I think it would be more meaningful to mark a bunch of the easy blues (terwillegar, purple haze, mill creek, dawson, sunridge, etc..) as green to give a better idea of which trails are suitable for novice riders.

I think the IMBA way is for the ratings to apply relative to other local trails. A seasoned river valley warrior would be quite humbled on what they call a blue in North Van.

mtbr member
    I thought the idea of IMBA rating was to have similar ratings in all areas but i could be wrong and and as you said RockiesRipper it may be so its the same in each local areas. I haven't yet taken my bike on Edmonton trails so I cant comment on if they are over or under rated. I moved here from ottawa and the trails there were over rated compared to riding we've done in Squamish, Moab Fruita and other areas.

As for trail signs the ottawa bike association got some money from the city and maybe others, they then put up 4x4 post signs at trail heads and junction (i'll find a picture i have of some) the plaque also had a lat/long coordinate in case someone got lost or injured. Prior to the city funded signs the trails were marked with everything from paint, flagging tape and even bike pedal reflectors - it sucked. I dont know what city's park dept would say to painting trees..

Nic

mtbr member

Mill Creek, old timers, upper and mid ewok all dry

mtbr member
    Giant snowball.

mtbr member
    Couple of big trees down in really awkward spots in millcreek, after all the wind last night. Not a ton of damage compared to come storms, but enough that you have to watch out.

mtbr member
    Pretty much everything on the south side is clear now. Some muddy spots on Gold Digger, one on Andre's Trail, but all else is good.

Trees down on Blue Man Group trail and in a couple of spots in Mill Creek.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RockiesRipper View Post
    yes and I think it would be more meaningful to mark a bunch of the easy blues (terwillegar, purple haze, mill creek, dawson, sunridge, etc..) as green to give a better idea of which trails are suitable for novice riders.

I think the IMBA way is for the ratings to apply relative to other local trails. A seasoned river valley warrior would be quite humbled on what they call a blue in North Van.
    I've been shopping for bikes and I haven't ridden on any trails in Edmonton or the surrounding areas. What are some decent noob trails? I live in Sherwood Park, but I have a truck to drive my bike around if needed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zednix View Post
    I've been shopping for bikes and I haven't ridden on any trails in Edmonton or the surrounding areas. What are some decent noob trails? I live in Sherwood Park, but I have a truck to drive my bike around if needed.
    Science park if you live in Sherwood park.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Plus one on Science Park. It has a little bit of everything.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by RockiesRipper View Post

The best part about Trailforks is that it is community database. If you have a suggestion to make content better all you have to do is submit a revision and its approved by a moderator. I agree some of the content isn't is accurate as it could be. But to be be fair the quantity of short trails in Edmonton is crazy high so getting all the info accurate is going to be an on going refinement process.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Regarding IMBA's trail rating recommendations.
    Trail Rating Guidelines | International Mountain Bike Association Canada

Point 4 suggests that it should relative to the area.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I did a loop between the science park and the Muttart last night. Trails are in pretty amazing condition for early April, a couple muddy spots on Potluck where the drainage is mediocre, the big iceflow on Pipedream is still there followed my 25 meters of gnarly mud, Moonraker is getting nice and worked in, Risky business is near perfect (one greasy climb), Andre's is almost all clear except for a muddy patch in the middle, Caddy Track is a little slick but in pretty good shape, Ewok forest is perrrrrrfect.

mtbr member
    Everything dry from Mill Creek to Wolf Willow. Lower Keillor Road trail only has one mud spot on flood plain that will likely be ridable in a couple of days.

Photo credit: Sherijumper, Masters Degree

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Where is masters degree? To view it on trail forks, it wants you to log in. I don't have an account there. Not worth it to set one up for one trail.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    @jkirkpatri awesome shot of Masters!

@2 wheels and proud Master's Degree isn't on trailforks.
    I will say that it is on the south side of the river near the U of A. Happy exploring.

mtbr member
    So is Masters Degree less loamy yet? The times I was there lastyear it was still way too fresh.

(I think it's also one of the least singlespeedable trails in town - maybe second to patricia - so I need to remember to take the right bike)

mtbr member
    Master's is pretty packed in, I didn't find it loamy at all.

Yup, Sherijumper took a super nice picture!

mtbr member
    I just picked up a new bike, I haven't ridden for around 12 years. Can you guys recommend some good areas around Edmonton to check out for someone who doesn't have too much experience yet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Terwillegar is a great place for beginners.
    Trailforks.com is great place if you want to map out a ride.

mtbr member
    I second Terwilliger. From the main parking lot, head up into the trees on the left - avoid the wide open space on your right where all the dog walkers are. You'll find trails in the trees that take you all over the place.

mtbr member
    It think it really depends where you live and what's convenient.

I would not start with Patricia Ravine, or the stuff right around the refinery. But I think those are the only areas I would completely avoid as a beginner. Everywhere else there's a wide variety.

Terwillegar, University, around Old Timers, Millcreek, the lower stuff below Mcnally, above Dawson Park, inbehind the Goldbar treatment plant, or the Science Park - all good, although you might have to walk a bit.

And some of the long, gravel mups along the river - Ft. Edmonton, Hawrelak, Riverdale, Riverside & Highlands golfcourses - are a nice place for a spin.

Right this minute is a good time to get started because:

No bugs
    No rain (yet)
    No leaves, so it's easier to spot trails

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    [QUOTE=mtnbikermitch;12586881
    @2 wheels and proud Master's Degree isn't on trailforks.
    I will say that it is on the south side of the river near the U of A. Happy exploring.[/QUOTE]

Well, I work in the oil patch 6 to 7 days a week. Between that and life I have not even been on my mountain bike since last fall. I'm lucky if I can get on my bike once or twice a month. I was planning my first ride for Saturday, but with the forecast it may not happen. So I do not have the time to go search for a random trail. I was able to log into trail forks and the builder has requested it not be shown. It's a sad day if this is what the Edmonton mountain biking community is becoming.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 wheels and proud View Post
    Well, I work in the oil patch 6 to 7 days a week. Between that and life I have not even been on my mountain bike since last fall. I'm lucky if I can get on my bike once or twice a month. I was planning my first ride for Saturday, but with the forecast it may not happen. So I do not have the time to go search for a random trail. I was able to log into trail forks and the builder has requested it not be shown. It's a sad day if this is what the Edmonton mountain biking community is becoming.
    This has nothing to do with the community. PM sent.

mtbr member
    Anyone know if the big fire last night was in Patricia Ravine, or one ravine over? I assume one over?

No injuries after brush fire rips through Edmonton river valley - Edmonton - CBC News

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I was there. The third firetruck got me on my wheels. It was right between the stairwells at the MUT T-intersection. At the bench and below on the cutline over the pipeline and a bit of spread into the willows on each side. Rolling with dress shoes on flats with no lights I headed straight into the single track via the crescent just north of the flames since the gravel MUT was crawling with uniforms. Awesomely quiet in there. Snuck up to the T intersection and got a decent view due to wearing all black but quickly realized riverside was the place to be. So i took the descent + creekside trail and followed along the river to the pipeline clearing. sucker was raging pretty good considering how little it got in the trees at the time. EFD contained it well and left it simmering in the trees in spots. Split temporarily when the guys came down and then directed some fighters in the high trail system as they probed around. Hung around for a while along the moonlit river to take in the smouldering aftermath. Yea, I know... a pipeline right of way was in flames but how dangerous could that be???

mtbr member
    All the trails west from Old Timer's to Wolf Willow were all dry and clear of mud last night.

mtbr member
    Going for my first ride at the Terwillegar park today. Plan on just exploring today and heading back tomorrow with my girlfriend and sister for some more.

mtbr member
    Stay up in the trees next to the parking lot - lots of trails up there and less walkers there as well

mtbr member
    ^ do you ever commute to work jkirkpatri, I can't remember? Thought I might have seen you on a roadish bike earlier this week, but maybe not.

mtbr member
    No, I don't. I have to wear dress clothes year round and with no showers, I end up driving. I also need access to a vehicle most days at work. I know it's a lame excuse, but that's my excuse.

Haven't been on my road bike since March. I'll get out again this long weekend, and for the Hardcore Jasper to Banff road ride in June, then it goes away for another year.

mtbr member
    Nah, it's a fine excuse. Just thought it might have been you, but couldn't even remember if you had a roadbike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    West End fire update: The big tree stand surrounding the playground along Wanyandi Rd (south across the big wooden bridge on the paved MUT crossing Patty and Wolf Willow ravines) got torched today around 230 pm. Thanks to a super windy day the flames or embers jumped the road and then jumped roof to roof. When I left the area around 430 it had NOT jumped the last row of houses along Wolf Willow ravine - the ravine at the bottom of the nasty 200 step stair case. The closest trail to the end of the fire trail would be the most western of the two short gravel U-loops behind the houses east of the park.

mtbr member
    hi jkirkpatri i remember you broke your collarbone a few years back. I just broke mine on westcoast trail last saturday. ambulance the whole deal. i'd appreciate any advice you can give me on healing a broken collarbone.

my doctor wants me to take 6 weeks off work. How long were you off work when you broke yours?

My doctor wants me off work for 6 weeks and off my bike for 12 weeks. that's the whole summer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    ^huge bummer. Heal up!

mtbr member
    ya it sucks. its the most pain ive ever been in. this hasn't been a pleasant week. My wife and i had to cancel our vacation.

thank god for adrenaline though. i carried by bike out of west coast to the parking lot of oldtimers, called 911, then collapsed. A nice old lady who lives across the street took my bike to her garage and left me her number so my bike is safe. And the crash could have been worse.

mtbr member
    Wow, that sucks. But that's a pretty great story.

mtbr member
    This rain is great for the fires but makes for a boring weekend lol

mtbr member

Ya agreed ^^ Makes for expensive weekend of online shopping for stuff I don't need.

mtbr member
    All the rain means spending quality time with my fixie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by funnyjr View Post
    Ya agreed ^^ Makes for expensive weekend of online shopping for stuff I don't need.

I've been watching my order from Jensen go from California to Buffalo and sit in Concord, Ontario for 4 days. Never ordering from Jensen again.

mtbr member
    With all the rain and imminent return of the green worms, I headed down to Bragg Creek with a friend on Sunday. If you haven't ridden there before, you ought to!

mtbr member
    Quiet enough that I assume everyone is out riding?

And I think the green worms have already come and gone? But now the mosquitos are ramping up.

I've been playing around with weather data since last winter, and thought some folks might find this precipitation data interesting:

I always think of May & June as being the rainy months, but it turns out it's actually July, by a pretty large margin. Although the May that we just had was the rainiest May since the 70s, so that confuses things a bit.

mtbr member
    Cool graphs, puts things in perspective!

Got out last night for a good rip. Minimal green worms. They're still there, but I would suspect that by the weekend, it'll be almost all over.

Trails are all dry. No mud or pooling anywhere other than lower trails by the river.

mtbr member
    So apparently the singletrack between Dawson and Kinnaird is right this minute being turned into doubletrack. I went through last week and there were fences up everywhere, but no explanation of what's going on.

Sucks, because now there's basically zero reason to ever ride on the northbank (unless you're all the way west by Mckinnon or Patricia)

And it had one of my favourite photostops:

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Seriously? That sucks re: Dawson singletrack. Part of one of my main loops, haven't been there in 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    My understanding is that the City didn't let EMBA know either.

mtbr member
    Seems like mtb season only lasted apr -may.

mtbr member
    Unfortunately there's still a few weeks of rainy season left, before things typically drop off in August.

Edmonton Spring/ Summer 2016-untitled.jpg

(sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Today's a fixie day for me, I think)

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I got out for a great ride last night. From Downtown to Selkirk Nights. Trails were in great shape minus a couple puddles from lack of trail maintenance. With the rain you just have to get lucky with timing but there is still lots of riding to be had. When in doubt check it out and if its too wet be okay with heading home or riding gravel/pavement.

mtbr member
    i might be able to start riding in 2-3 weeks on the road but not until at least mid august for mountain bike. uggh. don't break your collarbone guys. it sucks. especially doing it in may. whole summer or riding gone.

mtbr member
    Most of the river valley was in good shape Saturday, but Selkirk was still too soft around noon so I skipped it. Glad it dried out for the evening.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Is the fire mans descent to terwilligar 14 still closed? Its listed as all clear on trailforks but I noticed a fenced of sign.. let me know if there is a by pass other than the main gravel descent.

mtbr member
    I think you can still ride down there, you just can't get out with out climbing back up the way you came.

They've widened the trail closures around the Cloverdale bridge. Lots of Louise McKinney is closed, heading West from Riverdale you no longer have access to the park, and have to climb up to 101 Ave.

The East end of the Edmonton Queen trail (with the wood A-frame and ramp at the top of the hill) now dead ends. You have to ride along 98th Ave to head east / west.

Does anyone know if the Pedestrian crossing is open on the 102 Ave Grout bridge yet? My presumption is no, with the bridge only running two way traffic at rush hour.

mtbr member
    ^ I think there will still be periodic closures of the 102ave bridge, but it was 2 lanes each way all weekend, PLUS the cycletrack. But the pedestrian walkways are both completely blocked, so everyone is walking in the cycletrack.

But still, plenty of room.

Also, just staying on the road across the bridge is now much less sketchy than on the old, narrow bridge with the grating. Since the rest of the cycletrack won't be completed for years and years, if you're heading eastbound it makes sense to just stick to the road.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Hey, is the western part of silkerk knights that shortcuts down to the foot bridge private property? An person was walking down the hill and told me it was. Is it actually true? Thanks!

mtbr member
    On maps.edmonton.ca you can look at all of the little individual parcels.

Edmonton Spring/ Summer 2016-untitled.jpg

And to get from the road to the trail you have to go through two little properties - 15335 and 15339 whitemud drive. In the image they are the little red rectangle and the square just west of it.

You'd have to go to landtitles to see who owns them, but they have assessed values of $1,000 and $2,000 respectively, which look like nominal values for legal purposes. In comparison, the lots on either side are $1.1M and $900k, and the park/MUP area is $4.6M.

So they might be private property, but they're also NOT the same lots as the houses on either side. (although those homeowners could also own those tiny lots, or they might not...)

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    As you may have noticed there is a little bit of water in the river.
    https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0...a4&oe=58433B4F
    Taken on:
    Belgravia River Trail - South Mountain Bike Trail, AB

mtbr member
    Fack !!
    Here's birdhouse still alive.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Is there expected to be much conflict with the triathlon going on this weekend? Looks like the rain is going to be letting up *knocks on wood*.

mtbr member

If you plan to ride Victoria secret, six shooter or machete during Tri you might risk t boning a triathlete. And if you do, you will def make front page Journal.

mtbr member
    I had honestly forgotten just how nice it is to ride in temperatures below 10C.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    I had honestly forgotten just how nice it is to ride in temperatures below 10C.
    Yeah, I am really looking forward to fall riding. Conditions on the weekend were great. Kicking myself for not riding more.

mtbr member
    http://forums.mtbr.com/western-canad...on-147153.html

I am the original OP from 2005. For some reason I checked my post from 27 Nov 2005 and the riding was still good at that date. This has got to be the longest running series of threads in MTBR history. Always makes me feel good to see it going. I hope you can ride dirt into December this year, fingers crossed.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    just did my first ride since shattering my collarbone in may. It was awesome to be riding again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dana109 View Post
    just did my first ride since shattering my collarbone in may. It was awesome to be riding again.
    @Dana109 I bet it feels great to be riding again.
    The trail conditions last night where perfect.

@Travis Bickle thanks for starting the Edmonton conversation. Although this thread isn't super active I am glad it's here.

mtbr member
    You're a true pioneer, Travis.

It has been really quite around here this summer, I guess because a lot of the conversation has moved to facebook? Lots of rain too, although I didn't actually find the riding to be too bad this summer.

Just personally, all the central trail closures are cramping my style a bit. Dawson wasn't amazing riding, but it sure was a nice way to get to Andre's and Golddigger. With that and Mckinney and the Cloverdale bridge gone I've spent most the summer hiding around millcreek and the central stuff.

Just to be provocative, does anyone else find Selkirk Knights kindof dull? It's great to have singletrack in that area, and I can't wait for the terwillegar bridge to finally be finished. But I can't think of another trail that's so repetitive, without actually being very fun or challenging.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dana109 View Post
    Good luck on the trails. My crew has had 2 broken collar bone this year. It was the 3rd for one guy. These are guys over 50 who should know better, but...
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Just to be provocative, does anyone else find Selkirk Knights kindof dull? It's great to have singletrack in that area, and I can't wait for the terwillegar bridge to finally be finished. But I can't think of another trail that's so repetitive, without actually being very fun or challenging.
    Yes, I agree, as do quite a few other riders I ride with. It's nice to have that trail, but it's not very enjoyable and I personally think it would have been better to eliminate some of the switch backs. I'll ride it if I'm over in the area, but it's not an automatic must ride trail for me. It just doesn't flow very well, in my opinion. Having said that, I do know of riders who absolutely love the trail.

mtbr member
    ^ Well, I'm glad it's not just me. I was in there once on a warm, muggy day, and was just dying because it's impossible to keep any speed to cool off. I'll leave it to the builders, but some alternate lines around a few of the switchbacks could probably help. As it is, I figure it will be pretty much impossible in the winter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikermitch View Post
    @Dana109 I bet it feels great to be riding again.
    The trail conditions last night where perfect.
    it does, except for my ass. I forgot how important sit bone calluses are. i lost them.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Rode Ewok-Caddy Track - Happy Endings - Andre's Trail - Moonraker - Gold Digger last night. The trail conditions, weather - it was glorious.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Is Upper Ewok supposed to flow continuously from one end to the other? I somehow end up getting confused/lost on it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob0213 View Post
    Is Upper Ewok supposed to flow continuously from one end to the other? I somehow end up getting confused/lost on it.
    With some route finding. Yes. There are several places where it crosses other trails and some of the gravel multi-use but it is 95% single track.

I agree it could be better, but part of the fun of EWOK is that its not "straight forward"

As for Selkirk Knights. I feel like some minor tweaks could really open up some speed/flow opportunities in a couple spots.

mtbr member
    So after an entire summer of no riding, i couldn't face a whole winter with no riding. so i went out and got my first fatbike (good deal on last years models at redbike). 2016 rocky blizzard -30

Edmonton Spring/ Summer 2016-14292282_10157296260095276_42110334111700617_n.jpg

I was gonna ask in the fatbike forum but there are tons of americans or others in warmer climates. So I wanted to ask fellow edmontonians what are essential fat bike accessories? It comes with flats so I'm gonna go out and buy a pair of pedals (or might just hang up the element for the winter and put the Time Atacs on my fat bike for the winter). But what do i need? i basically have fall riding gear and xc ski gear. I'm hoping that gets me through most of the winter. I can't afford the bike, pedals, wolvhammers, pogies, pants, new jacket, new helmet etc...

mtbr member
    Just personally, I dress pretty light until about -18C.

Above that it's just a merino baselayer and a windbreaker shell, and an open-faced balaclava/ninjaclava for under the helmet.

Below that it gets more complicated with fleeces and gortex mitts and whatnot.

I think that hands and feet will always be the biggest issue, so having a couple of layers of gloves and socks (and shoes big enough to fit them) is the hardest part to figure out.

mtbr member
    ya i may end up waiting on pedal and swapping from the mountain bike for the winter and then dropping some cash on new gloves and/or winter cycling boots. I just have the fleece lined boot covers and a pair of thinsulate gore wear fall gloves.

mtbr member
    I ride flats all year, in part so that I can use whatever shoes I want in the winter. So for "winter cycling boots" I just go to Winners and buy something cheap that's two sizes too big.

That being said, there's a huge difference between good flats (with replaceable pins), and bad flats (molded pins are completely useless in winter)

mtbr member
    i can't do flats. after 12 years of clipless. I walked to redbike in hiking boots and road the fatbike home and it was horrible. I kept trying to pull up and hit my shin twice. i will stick with clipless.

mtbr member
    I know there a billion flats vs clipless threads here on mtbr, but if there's any reason to side with flats it's winter.

There's this particularly winter situation where you're stuck in deep snow, and so you're sortof straddle-walking your bike, and to get going again you just need one good pedalstroke while you simultaneously hop back on the bike...timing that is so easy when you've got a giant platform to aim for.

But ymmv.

mtbr member
    I've thought about going to flats on my fat bike, mostly due to the sketch factor that riding dirty mattress a la ice rink and other trails introduce during our annual winter thaw.

Dana - I'd stick with your Time pedals. That's what I have. SPDs clog up with snow and ice way faster than Time's. I've thought about going flats, but I always end up sticking to my Times. I did buy some 45 North boots last year as my other winter shoes just weren't cutting it.
    Gloves and boots are the big things, plus a wind breaker for your front side. I end up wearing bibs, knee warmers, full tights, and then a shell over all of that.
    Tires - seems like every year around January/February, we get a big thaw that results in ice riding for the rest of the year. I'd start saving for some decent studded fat tires for when this happens this year.

mtbr member
    My issue with clips and winter is getting snow clogging up the cleat pocket rendering it impossible to clip in. That made flats look real good. I transitioned to flats last winter after 20 years of clipless. It was hopeless for a while, really bad even. The key was sticking with it. I read somewhere that it takes 12 good rides before it feels right, and this proved about right. I continued to feel more at home after 12, and now I don't see the point of ever going back. I had hoped to use SPDs for milder trails, but honestly, for me flats are just as good everywhere, and much better in the sketch.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    does any shop in the city sell time pedals?

I'm getting increasingly frustrated with edmonton's LBS.

I have had very bad experiences at local bike shops lately. One shop offered to install my new brake rotors for free if i got it through them. fine, inproperly installed, broke off send ride almost crashed. They made it right gave them a second chance when i custom ordered exact rings, chain, and cassette I wanted to rebuild drivetrain of my cx bike, they offered to install it for free again. Gave them a second chance. Not only was it not what I ordered. it was a 9 speed cassette not a 10 speed and the wrong chain. Couldn't even shift. Went to another LBS their mechanic basically yelled at me for asking him a question and wasting his time, and told me to come back when i know what i want. I used to feel bad shopping online. I don't anymore. it's my only option for many accessory items. No one carries the pedals, shoes, grips, lights etc... i want anyway. My usual LBS refused to do a special order for me for either a fatbike stand or time pedals. Fine 70% cheaper on chain reaction. 60% cheaper if i get dinged by customs.

I know it's difficult to run a small business, my brother runs a small business. But if you are rude to customers, carry very little stock, and then refuse to call suppliers of brands you carry for your customers then why would i make a special effort to buy **** i don't want just to support an LBS.

mtbr member
    Last time I looked to buy Time's locally, United was carrying them.

mtbr member
    I also have some Time pedals that I'll sell to you used if you'd like! PM if you're interested. I'll get back to you Sunday.

mtbr member
    united doesn't. Was there yesterday and asked. like everyone shop in the city they have deore, xt, eggbeater, and candy and that's about it. which time pedals?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    going out tonight -- likely riding the singletrack west of old timers. Anyone get out last night? Curious what the slickness and mud level is like.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Rode last night east from old timers to gold digger. Trails were good all things considered. Puddles here and there. Leaves and roots slippery in spots.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikermitch View Post
    Rode last night east from old timers to gold digger. Trails were good all things considered. Puddles here and there. Leaves and roots slippery in spots.
    Thanks brotha.

mtbr member
    So is this going to be a terrible fall for riding? All the snow might have come at just the wrong time: not early enough to melt off quickly, but not late enough that the ground is nice and solid. So we're left with slime.

mtbr member
    It'll be a great fall for 'cross racing!
    It's supposed to snow again this weekend, so it could stick around.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Just personally, I dress pretty light until about -18C.

Above that it's just a merino baselayer and a windbreaker shell, and an open-faced balaclava/ninjaclava for under the helmet.

Below that it gets more complicated with fleeces and gortex mitts and whatnot.

I think that hands and feet will always be the biggest issue, so having a couple of layers of gloves and socks (and shoes big enough to fit them) is the hardest part to figure out.
    Out of curiosity, what are you using for a shell? Is it some magic material, or pretty old school standard with good venting? I seem to to be having a harder and harder time as I get older finding that happy medium where I don't sweat like a cut calf as soon as I get any sort of shell on...

mtbr member
    ^ I use one of those fluorescent windbreakers that every jogger has, with giant pitzips, which are magic.

It's annoying though, because they seem to be phasing pitzips out. My old mec jacket died last year, and I figured I'd just pick up a replacement, but the new mec ones don't have pitzips, which is really dumb for a hardshell. I ended up having to go to the Running Room.

I've also got a softshell, but I can't use it because it's way too warm. And once it gets cold enough that I want to use it, then I need a windbreaker anyway.

Oh, and for anyone who is interested in my graphing nonsense:

This is pretty early for a first snowfall. There are freak years like 2014 and 2004 where we get hit in September, and 2009 and 2012 were right around this time of year too. But otherwise it's a lot of late Octobers and early-mid Novembers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yes, it's almost like putting in any sort of venting nowadays is admitting that the wondermaterial that the shell is made of is not really good enough or some happy crappy like that.
    I like the graph, but could we get that in nice stacked or pie type as well! heh...

mtbr member
    Took keilor on the way home yesterday, which was a huuuuuuuuge mistake.

Edmonton Spring/ Summer 2016-cum4snkuiaeklqp.jpg

Belgravia was a little slimy, but I figured I'd keep going, and I shouldn't have. The low area around the keilor slide was so, so, so, so muddy, and so sticky. I was pushing my bike through a bunch of it, and still had to stop to unclog the wheels half-a-dozen times.

Is anything rideable?

The forecast is for maybe 10cm of snow this weekend, but then next week is supposed to be warm, so this probably isn't going to get any better.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I know there a billion flats vs clipless threads here on mtbr, but if there's any reason to side with flats it's winter.

There's this particularly winter situation where you're stuck in deep snow, and so you're sortof straddle-walking your bike, and to get going again you just need one good pedalstroke while you simultaneously hop back on the bike...timing that is so easy when you've got a giant platform to aim for.

But ymmv.
    Common error

When you start with cleats there is no reason to cleat in the first couple of strokes....My SPD's work just fine without clipping in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Took keilor on the way home yesterday, which was a huuuuuuuuge mistake.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cum4sNKUIAEklQP.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	164.6 KB 
ID:	1099709

Belgravia was a little slimy, but I figured I'd keep going, and I shouldn't have. The low area around the keilor slide was so, so, so, so muddy, and so sticky. I was pushing my bike through a bunch of it, and still had to stop to unclog the wheels half-a-dozen times.

Is anything rideable?

The forecast is for maybe 10cm of snow this weekend, but then next week is supposed to be warm, so this probably isn't going to get any better.
    Probably have to wait until later in the evening when stuff freezes up a bit to go if you want any satisfaction. Roots will be nasty though!

mtbr member
    So all of the mud is gone:

Edmonton Spring/ Summer 2016-cuw1prkukaaefoz.jpg

(for today anyway. I think we're in for an icepocalypse by saturday or sunday, followed by another mudfest)

mtbr member
    Edmonton Spring/ Summer 2016-cuwicdsvmaanqf_.jpg

Edmonton Spring/ Summer 2016-cuwh9qnuaaexgiy.jpg

Edmonton Spring/ Summer 2016-cu1vc8uukaacz3m.jpg

Edmonton Spring/ Summer 2016-cu2cwmvxgaaz68t.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    So I think with the snow and fat bikes someone should probably start a Fall/Winter thread.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    trails are frozen and rock hard, but I can't believe how roached some places are with all of the ruts from people riding/walking during the freeze thaw. Do these guys get free drivetrains and bike washings?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Fall/Winter Thread started here:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/western-canad...a-1028566.html

@RockiesRipper I agree its unbelievable how damaged some of the trails are.

mtbr member
    Off to the winter thread!