Edmonton Spring/Summer 2015- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Edmonton Spring/Summer 2015

Well I had a fantastic ride today, so I think it's time for the new thread.

I took my "muck" bike and was planning to check in on the singletrack, but figured I'd be mostly stuck with the mups. But no - things were great!

UofA was still nicely snowy. Kinsmen was clear with a few snow patches. Oldtimers and Dirty mattress were mostly clear, and they had roots! Roots! Oh, how I've missed them. Millcreek doubletrack was discouraging but the singletrack was good. The cloverdale pumptrack was in decent enough shape. Birdhouse was still really snowy. Lower ewok was pretty muddy, and was pretty much the only place with significant mudholes, but that's not unusual. Middle ewok was good.

There's still some snow out there, but there's also plenty of this:

mtbr member
    Great stuff! I sold my old 29er hardtail so I'm going to use my fat bike this spring (without the studded tires). I haven't been the ravine for a good three weeks. Glad to hear that it's drying out nicely!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The way things are shaping up, if the weather continues, should be good and dry by mid april for most of the trails.

mtbr member
    A couple more updates from sunday morning:

Dawson was good, with a little bit of snow left in the trees.
    Risky Business was probably 75% clear and 25% snow.
    A-Bomb and Happy Ending were both pretty snowy - maybe 75% with 25% clear.
    Caddytrack was still completely snow.
    Upper Ewok was pretty good with bits of snow here and there.
    Birdhouse was still all snow.
    All the central stuff was good.
    Skyline was completely clear and still in one piece (for now, anyway).
    Gnome's was mostly clear, and most importantly the really steep section in the middle was rideable.
    Groat Road Rollercoaster was pretty snowy.
    Victoria Secret was completely clear, but also pretty slimy. It was the only trail I'd actually call muddy.

The snow that's out there is nice and rideable. There was only one little spot on A-Bomb and another on Groat where I'd wished I still had the studs on. Also the big iceflow on lower ewok is worth avoiding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the update newfangled! Where is the best place to start from in Mill Creek? There is a group of us looking to do some lunch time rides and would be parking at the velodrome. Like you said the doubletrack is discouraging.

mtbr member
    ^ trailsforks is a good place to start: Edmonton, Alberta Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks

For lunch rides I'd actually try to park at the pool, and head north to goof around on the singletrack between there and connor's road. Personally, the only time I ride the south half of millcreek is for transport/commuting.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks. I know the area well enough was just wondering what is the best right now.
    Happy trails.

mtbr member
    ^ ah, well then I was just doing Hulk Bogan and the Trap and the stuff that's uphill from the doubletrack at the northend. That photo up top is from in there somewhere, and was pretty typical.

mtbr member
    There's a few bits of single track south of 76th ave that isn't maintained and isn't on Trailforks. It rode reasonably in the fall, but I've no idea what it's current condition is.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    ^ was well travelled by fatbikes this winter. I put a lot of miles into millcreek over the winter, as the velodrome became a common meeting point.

mtbr member
    Had a good turn out for last night's group ride. Three cross bikes, about six or seven mountain bikes, and one fat bike (me). We rode Mill Creek on the upper east ridge, north of the pool, and it was all good with a couple of snow spots and mud spots here and there. North side of the river by Dawson was all good, but again, granular snow in the trees here and there and some mud. In another week, all those spots should be dried out if the weather holds.

mtbr member
    ^ so why the switch to just the fatbike? Just trying to clear out the stable? Or is the Farley that completely amazing?

This is going to be my first summer with all my bikes set up as rigid and ss or fixed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    ^ so why the switch to just the fatbike? Just trying to clear out the stable? Or is the Farley that completely amazing?

This is going to be my first summer with all my bikes set up as rigid and ss or fixed.
    I sold the Fisher hardtail recently (it was too small for me) and I don't like riding my full suspension in the muck, so it was either the cross bike (a bit too small and I don't like riding cross bikes on the roots when given the choice) or the Farley.

I put my Husker Du tires back on (had studded Dillingers for the winter) and rode it last night for the first time in the dirt. Tire pressure was around 15psi, still had some self steer, but did pretty good. The bike tends to bounce over the roots, but other than that, it rode well. The wheels are super heavy and much more noticeable now than in the winter where you're not sprinting or riding super fast. This will be my crappy weather bike for the summer.

I might try a bit lower pressure next time out, but the bike is pretty slugish as it is (all in the wheels) so lowering my tire pressure might make it that much worse. Incredible traction even with 15psi, though!

mtbr member
    ^ ah, got it. Didn't realize you still had the FS, and were just saving it from muck.

mtbr member
    The FS is up for sale, but it's been replaced by a different FS, so same situation. I just hate cleaning muck out of full suspension bikes with all the nooks and crannies that linkages introduce. Classic diamond frame hardtails are much easier to clean!

mtbr member
    Millcreek in fantastic shape. Millcreek<>UofA is all pretty good. Hopefully we'll have a few weeks to enjoy it before monsoon and mosquito season.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Hate to say it, but I've already seen mosquitos - won't find any today in the wind but they are already out/breeding. Thankfully, I've also seen the mosquito helicopter spraying areas around the henday and areas in the SW

mtbr member
    Yesterday, rode Mill Creek to Dawson, and then to the Science Park. Lower Mill Creek all ice,snow, and mud. Upper Mill Creek along the ridge is all dry. Dawson area trails are all dry. Old Timers half wet, half dry. West Coast Trail dry. Dirty Mattress dry. Skyline is dry too. Science Park all dry except down low by the river and a few spots here and there. Blair Witch all dry, Cambodia - didn't try as I knew it'd be snow still. Collector area for Pogey, Pot Luck, and Wall-E all dry. Did not try the three downhill sections as I figured that they'd be muddy.

Cambodia east side where the service road is:

Cambodio west side. Past the bridge and around the corner is mud:

Collector basin for Pogey, Pot Luck, and Wall-E:

More cliff erosion just past this sign:

mtbr member

This sign in Mill creek is not lying anymore.

No more trail.

mtbr member
    Had about thirty show up for the first "official" group ride this year. We split in four groups. Group rides have been going year round, but some riders don't like riding anything but dirt, so spring is usually when the masses come out. I'd suspect that next Monday's ride will be bigger yet.

With the group I went on, I can confirm that Victoria's Secret is all dry, almost all the Kinsmen trails are dry, or a bit tacky in spots, the lower trail by the river in front of the Kinsmen is dry with a few mud spots, and of course, everything by Dawson is dry too. Multi use trail in front of Riverside is dry, or tacky wet, with a few snow spots still.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I rode from the UofA out to Concordia yesteday afternoon. All the singletrack up to the Riverside Golf Course was in really nice shape. Even Middle Ewok had drained out really nicely. I was pretty hopeful the Caddytrack and A-Bomb would be rideable, but that hope was dashed about 25 meters into Caddytrack. It looks like it still has another week or so left before it's fit for use.

mtbr member
    Is anyone else worried that when Skyline finally goes, it's going to take a bunch of other stuff with it? (I'm not willing to take bets though, since I thought that Keillor-Hawrelak would have crumbled ages ago)

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    There's a couple of short sections on the Keillor trail that need workarounds before its too late. Hopefully someone will commit and head in there. I got other things on the go and Keillor isn't even on my west side back burner.

Btw - Patricia is ridable with a small handful of spots that need sun or tires. Patricia ravine creek exit is in its usual spring form for those who don't want a shiny bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    report from a friend in fort sask is that part of the trail has fallen in to the river (the north end of it I think) and is unrideable till a new section of trail is built.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by feepa View Post
    report from a friend in fort sask is that part of the trail has fallen in to the river (the north end of it I think) and is unrideable till a new section of trail is built.
    Also the trails West of the boat launch are mostly dry with some spots with snow and mud. Another week or so until it'll be snow/mud free I hope

mtbr member

Is anyone else worried that when Skyline finally goes, it's going to take a bunch of other stuff with it? (I'm not willing to take bets though, since I thought that Keillor-Hawrelak would have crumbled ages ago)
    What were you thinking will go with it?

Skyline seems to be isolated on its own and I don't foresee it taking anything with it (besides a few riders) the day it collapses.

I recall the treasure island trail collapsing few yrs ago and didn't really affect anything else other than itself. It's just no more trail there and only re route is gnome. It was was a great trail when it existed though and would be awesome if it were somehow re carved.

mtbr member
    Hopefully people will remember to re-route things sustainably. Rerouting a slumped trail along the edge of the slump just lets the whole thing go again next year. You need to leave trees and vegetation a wide enough stretch along the river so their root systems help hold the bank together.

Like that silly Riverdale reroute that's just going to erode away again this year. Building trails along the river just hastens erosion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by funnyjr View Post
    What were you thinking will go with it?

Skyline seems to be isolated on its own and I don't foresee it taking anything with it (besides a few riders) the day it collapses.
    Just because there's cracking all around the southend, and the mup shifted a bit over the winter. So that one tree might finally go, or maybe it will be a bigger chunk leaving the whole thing unrideable like treasure island, or maybe it would even go all the way to the mup?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hi am wondering is there any group rides going on tomorrow afternoon?

mtbr member
    Weekend Afternoons aren't great times for group rides, unless you're tagging into a small group of friends who do shift work. The big club rides are all evenings and weekends. Generally you can tag along once for free, but then need to become a club member for insurance purposes.

I think the only groups up and running this early are the groups that never really stop riding all season. The interclub guys, (friendly racers from the community), F'n riders (Generally 50+ group of friends and invites) and Hardcore.

http://www.hardcorebikes.ca/club/rides

Wednesday rides are pretty fast, Mondays are a better day to come out to see how we work.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Toured pretty much all the single track in central (minus Ewok, blueman group and the trail along the fence to EMurphy) yesterday on my cx. Made a big mistake going into Birdhouse - that is a huge avoidable mess. Aside from a couple of icy/mud spots near the Mill Creek parking lot everything was bone dry.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm going to see how Terwillegar is tomorrow... Anyone been out there recently?

mtbr member
    I was out a week and a half ago. The high stuff is dry, especially the trails along the south edge of the river. But the construction through there is a pain in the ass. They've stripped the double track up to the start of the golf course trail.

I didn't get into Firemans to see how that was drying out, but it'll still have the construction fencing from the bridge construction.

Some of the double track on the north side was ice covered, so it's probably pretty muddy now.

Dave's trail looked really good. We were on Cross bikes so didn't give it a proper go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I'm going to see how Terwillegar is tomorrow... Anyone been out there recently?
    Biked therecyesterday and walked around with the gf a bit today, all the upper stuff is great! But end of corkscrew has a few mud spot. Not too bad though!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    what is corkscrew? Is that the golf course trail/roller coaster ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    It's the windy slightly downhill trail that pops out on the road right before the parking lot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Fejjo View Post
    It's the windy slightly downhill trail that pops out on the road right before the parking lot.
    Yes that. The roller coaster is no more.. The trail from parking lot to roller coaster is already mowed down with like wood n crap on it. Not even fun to ride on so I never got to RC.

The other trails all over looks good n dry though

mtbr member
    City takes on crumbling banks, flooded trails in Mill Creek Ravine

...This summer, crews will rebuild the bridge abutments and stabilize the bank near 76th Avenue and realign the trail near Whyte Avenue where the bank eroded during a 2012 storm.

Next summer, there will be more work moving trails near 76th Avenue and 90th Avenue, protecting the banks near 94th Avenue and also resurfacing the parking lot.

mtbr member
    Great day for a ride!

mtbr member
    I shouldn't even admit this, but I got passed on rivervalley road by a rollerblader today.

In my defense:

• This was a speed-skating rollerblader - hunched over, long strides, arms behind his back.
    • And I was on my "slow" ss, which will hit 30kph if I'm madly spinning at 125rpm. And I was done my ride and heading home, so I wasn't in a hurry.

But I don't get passed much - maybe 10 times that I can remember (including at least one bike with a gasengine, and one throttled e-bike) - but this guy flew by like he was a roadie. I don't actually know what my flat-pavement cruising speed is on that bike, but it's probably not much below 25kph? He was moving, and I was super impressed.

Ignoring that shame though (and the random snow yesterday), I had a couple of great rides this weekend.

mtbr member
    The Fox Drive and Emily Murphy Single track is still pretty muddy in spots. Fox drive is getting really rutted up in places. The Terwillegar golf course trail is mostly destroyed to make way for the 3m gravel path. Mustang and Breathless are now a really long ways out unless you live in the area.

There's never any shame in getting passed when you're on your cool down on the way home!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Did you make it out to Mustang (still haven't been on it) or Breathless?

mtbr member
    Nope. Rode about 3/4's of the golf course bulldozed crap then gave up. Breathless was running great late last fall, and unless there are downed trees should be fine. Mustang was still pretty soft (and will likely stay that way, it'll be tough to get traffic out there this year) so if could be wet and muddy, but that's just speculation.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Pipedream, Risky Business, and A-Bomb were dry, with the exception of a handful of muddy spots on Pipedream (maybe five-ish?) and A-bomb (maybe three or four?). In general, the trails are in excellent condition right now. Unfortunately my body was not. An hour into my ride and I was beat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    ^ I'm quite the opposite. I've rode all winter mostly on a fatbike and feel like I'm in late fall riding condition already, minus all the related injuries that have occurred by late fall....
    Climb hills on my regular bike feels like a breeze compared to the fatty.

mtbr member
    Some lovely folks kindly positioned a large (~3'x4') packing crate at the bottom of the descent on Victoria's Other Secret. There's no way it was placed there accidentally.

I couldn't see it around the guy in front of me, and he had his head down as we came into it, so didn't call it out until we were half way down. I leaned to see around him and tried to set up to turn around the crate but was probably in a bad position from the lean and likely panic braked too much, lost traction on the rear wheel and started sliding into the box, so I had to bail.

I managed to throw the bike around the box while shoulder rolling to the side, so I wasn't hurt. The worst bit was I rolled over a nettle brush and got covered in those sticky prickly things.

Between that, the trees deliberately placed behind 3 blind corners on Caddy track, and tires I found scattered over Under the Bridge just after that descent (under the high level)... Bah. People suck!

mtbr member
    The planned crash looked pretty bad from my viewpoint coming down the hill, but thankfully the rider (and bike!) were unscathed.

Trails were all good in the MacKinnon Ravine area as was Kinsmen. Emily Murphy MUT is still messy, but that's to be expected.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I smoked a tire at the end of the decent of Under the Bridge right at the ladder bridge at the start of last year. wtf!

Big thanks goes to whoever that was workin the detour on McNally River trail last Wednesday.

mtbr member
    From facebook, if people haven't seen it:

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  45.3 KB

I guess that would be dirty mattress.

mtbr member
    So it's not a packing crate or broken glass, but be careful if you're following a group into that steep little decent in the middle of Gnome's:

mtbr member
    That looks more like a natural trail obstacle. Must have been two nights ago when we had that big wind storm.

mtbr member
    ^ oh yeah, definitely not sabotage. There's another big tree down by the Edmonton Queen, and I saw a third in...millcreek maybe? I don't know how the various groups do things, but if a bunch of people go barreling into that corner on Gnome's I figured it could get messy.

mtbr member
    ^ ....I don't know how the various groups do things,....
    Full speed ahead!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatri View Post
    Full speed ahead!
    I don't know what you're talking about, we never follow so close that you can't see obstacles coming...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    What's up with that new plywood 'berm' near the bottom of Old Timer's? I am no construction expert, so I apologize in advance if it is an official feature, but it definitely seemed pretty sketchy and not something of typical Hardcore quality.

mtbr member
    Hardcore's trail days are usually late May early June and then again in September. If this is a new "feature", it hasn't been done by the club. I'm trying to think of where this berm is and all I come up with are blanks.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hardcore's trail days are usually late May early June and then again in September. If this is a new "feature", it hasn't been done by the club. I'm trying to think of where this berm is and all I come up with are blanks.
    It's right at the end of the section with the longish, curved bridge, followed by the wooden drop/ramp (pretty much the only area with wood features). Heading North, right after the drop, there is that right-hand turn that leads to the junction area near the MUP. The feature is built around this corner. It's a bunch of 2x4's in a pile, with a couple sheets of plywood nailed on top to create a mini-wall ride.

Glad to know it's not an official Hardcore build. Just thought I'd mention it since they are pretty well-known for maintaining that area and if it's not theirs, it could suck to be associated with it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    rode a bunch on Sunday on the cx. The *new* single track that has been hacked into the bush in Terwillegar will be good. It's a shitshow now and not recommended on skinny tires but the line is good. Also rolled out and found Mustang - that thing is mint! What a cool trail. dry and ready for people to hammer on. For those who think it's now out of the way due to Terwillegar trail construction that's just laziness talking. Pretty quick ride to get on a really nice trail. If you don't like the wood covered connector trail pop up to the pavement and take Heffernan and then rip down the paved switchback. There's also the shorter flat sections along the river to hit up. Time ran a bit short so I didn't get on Breathless... soon... soon...

The single track parallel to the Fox drive paved trail has plenty of mud and a billion grooves in it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fejjo View Post
    rode a bunch on Sunday on the cx. The *new* single track that has been hacked into the bush in Terwillegar will be good. It's a shitshow now and not recommended on skinny tires but the line is good. Also rolled out and found Mustang - that thing is mint! What a cool trail. dry and ready for people to hammer on. For those who think it's now out of the way due to Terwillegar trail construction that's just laziness talking. Pretty quick ride to get on a really nice trail. If you don't like the wood covered connector trail pop up to the pavement and take Heffernan and then rip down the paved switchback. There's also the shorter flat sections along the river to hit up. Time ran a bit short so I didn't get on Breathless... soon... soon...

The single track parallel to the Fox drive paved trail has plenty of mud and a billion grooves in it.
    Good to hear on Mustang. Rode that one last year and it was pretty neat.

If I were to ride out to Mustang, it'd be a 45km round trip for me. For some of us who live centrally (i.e. Mill Creek), it isn't laziness that prevents us from going out there, it's due to a choice of good single track found locally versus a long ride on the MUT from Fort Saskatchewan, up through the streets, then down to Terwilliger and then out to the bridge. Once the new bridge is built and the new single track is put in place on the north side of the river past Fort Edmonton, getting out there won't be such a long haul and there'll be more to ride that's interesting.

Personally, if I'm doing 45km of riding as much single track as possible, I always head east towards the Science Park.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Totally a long haul for peeps out east but if one is already in Terwillegar then its just a short ride and it will take away some of the monotony of the same trails. It was more of a reply to a previous post that hinted about the trail construction in Terw would lighten the traffic to Mustang.

For anyone who has not been out that far south I just did a quick check off my strava from yesterday and from the top of the hill (the old/under construction connector to the pavement) in Ter to Mustang and back is apx 10k. (more than I thought!!)

I live out west and if i'm going to head to cambodia and beyond I'm going to drive and park somewhere closer... typically. Now that I've discovered that my mtb has almost become obsoleted due to how I know I can ride my cross I can get way east much quicker with less effort.

I hope that once that bridge goes in that some new trails are created - there's so much terrain. Is there a LBS or group that maintains Terwillegar?

mtbr member
    United Cycle adopted Terwillegar a few years ago. (I'm never sure how big their active membership is, especially that would turn out for trail days) There's a 24 hours of adrenalin team that's also going to start helping out there this year. It'll be interesting to see whether a 9 man team can get more volunteer hours out there than the biggest shop in town!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Trails from UofA out to Goldbar were soooo good today. Caddytrack, Happy Endings, A-Bomb, and Risky Business were perfect (with a little bit of mud on A-Bomb in the expected areas).

mtbr member
    After last night's group ride out to Cambodia to ride Pot Luck and Pogey, it's safe to say that the entire river valley is dry! No hint of mud on any of the gravity rides and if anything, the trails are bit too dusty and dry!

mtbr member
    Conditions are a bit dusty, but otherwise, trails are on great shape! That wall ride in old timers has been taken out. Skyline has a lot of slumped parts now.

mtbr member
    The rain Saturday really helped the trails our for a mid day ride with some friends. The trails were still relatively dry, but the dust factor was way down. There were a couple of mud spots here and there, most notably in the Keillor flats area, but that was about it. Patricia ravine was all dry and good, as were all the usual suspects from Mill Creek to Wolf Willow.

The bridge project in Terwilliger is ramping up significantly!

mtbr member
    Bring out the Fatbikes!!

mtbr member
    So how is the Oleskiw singletrack these days? Still a bunch of forced dismounts at the north end by the bridge?

mtbr member
    So how is the Oleskiw singletrack these days? Still a bunch of forced dismounts at the north end by the bridge?
    I counted two dismounts. Still the same as in past years. I hate it as it's overgrown, but the only time to ride it is now or in late autumn. It's all getting redone with EMBA's input once the new bridge is finished, so it should be much better.

mtbr member
    It really is the most boring singletrack in town. Is it even possible for EMBA to fix that? I'm not even sure why I think it's boring, but I just never think it's worth the bother.

But I am super excited about the new bridge. I just hope it doesn't succumb to the 1-year delay that's all the rage these days.

mtbr member
    I think it's an entirely new single track section that's being cut in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm looking for a quill stem, does anyone have one in their parts piles? 1" for the head tube end, about 130-150mm reach for the length.. TIA.

mtbr member
    Check Edmonton Bicycle Commuters.

mtbr member
    So the ride home reminded me why I've got a muck bike this year - because my 29er does not like the mostly-dry-but-occasionally-slimy stuff that the snow left behind. It packs my ardents up, and suddenly I'm surfing. Hopefully it will dry up tomorrow or sunday.

mtbr member
    Random shots from Saturday. The trail erosion is below Keillor Road.

mtbr member
    Wow, that keillor stuff wasn't there on friday.

Saturday was still slimy in places, but I just got back from a pretty perfect sunday ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    that stuff wasn't there early Saturday morning either when I through that section

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Hey guys. I'm a pretty recent addition to the scene so bear with me. I started biking in the river valley last year with my roommates. I had an absolute blast but some of the trails were beyond my skill level and I had a couple crashes. I am originally from Van Isle so I don't know much about Edmonton's trails. Are there any trails you recommend for a beginner around the city or should I just throw myself into whatever I can find? I'm in Sherwood Park but can go pretty much anywhere.

mtbr member
    Best to join a club ride - that way you will get guidance to what the river valley has to offer. I know that Hardcore Monday rides has beginners group and you would likely benefit from that and can always progress to more advance levels at your own comfort. jkirkpatri on this forum often leads the beginner rides so he'll be the one to ask if you are interested.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Hardcore Club Rides
    MONDAYS
    A = Ready for a hard ride? Our goal is to connect up as many technically challenging trails in the River valley. This ride will go a bit longer in distance. Our target rider would be one of intermediate to advanced technical skills with good endurance.
    B = Ready to chat less? We will be riding more technical and challenging trails. Our target rider is one of intermediate skills with good fitness. Be ready to accelerate your riding and have less breaks.
    C = Ready to challenge your riding? This is for those looking for a bit slower/chatty pace, with an opportunity to session difficult sections. This ride will avoid exposed, dangerous sections of trail.
    D = Are you looking to gain more confidence in your riding skills? This group will target refining your skills and adding to your skill repertoire. This group will only be offered May and June. See you in the C group in July!

jkirkpatri, or anyone else: would you be able to provide me with some examples of the trails that typify the C and D levels? I've checked out Root Canal, Terwillegar Golf Course Trail, Victoria's Secret, Caddytrack, Backbreaker, Dirty Mattress, Canada Cup with varying degrees of success. I'm not sure where those trails would place on the A-D scale.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hawx, I'd toss Terwillegar Park in as a destination for you. Lots of everything, biggest selection of mellow trails in one area. From the parking lot head north east into the forest and follow that all the way around the park counter clockwise. There's trails everywhere so turn down anything you see. Check out Trailforks.com. Not everything is shown - there's a bunch of interconnecting trails near the lakes on the interior side of the main loop trail. Terwillegar Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob0213 View Post
    Hardcore Club Rides
    MONDAYS
    A = Ready for a hard ride? Our goal is to connect up as many technically challenging trails in the River valley. This ride will go a bit longer in distance. Our target rider would be one of intermediate to advanced technical skills with good endurance.
    B = Ready to chat less? We will be riding more technical and challenging trails. Our target rider is one of intermediate skills with good fitness. Be ready to accelerate your riding and have less breaks.
    C = Ready to challenge your riding? This is for those looking for a bit slower/chatty pace, with an opportunity to session difficult sections. This ride will avoid exposed, dangerous sections of trail.
    D = Are you looking to gain more confidence in your riding skills? This group will target refining your skills and adding to your skill repertoire. This group will only be offered May and June. See you in the C group in July!

jkirkpatri, or anyone else: would you be able to provide me with some examples of the trails that typify the C and D levels? I've checked out Root Canal, Terwillegar Golf Course Trail, Victoria's Secret, Caddytrack, Backbreaker, Dirty Mattress, Canada Cup with varying degrees of success. I'm not sure where those trails would place on the A-D scale.
    The D group that I lead only runs until the end of June. I took beginners out on the trails in Old Timer's and half of West Coast Trail last night for two and half hours. They were all riding the trails at the end with the occasional foot dab here and there. Old Timer's is good as it's the most consistent rooty place in the City that's centrally located, and it has a wide variety of features that can be sessioned multiple times.

If you're doing the trails that you've mentioned above, then the C group would be your starting point as all of those trails are done in that group.

The groups are differentiated mostly by the ability to ride fast, in control, and safely on the singletrack. If you can ride all of those trails at a good speed, don't dab, and have good endurance, then the B group is applicable for you. If you do all those trails, but dab occasionally and need a break every so often, then the C group is for you. If you can hammer full speed out on all those trails and not launch yourself into the bushes (or ground), then the A group is for you. The C group would expressly avoid dangerous exposed trails, such as the west end of West Coast Trail and Skyline. The D group focuses on skill development for beginners so that they can ride in the C group and not hold up the entire group.

Based on what you've written, I would go with the C group and see how it goes.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Thanks. The trails I listed are ones I've checked out, but that isn't to say I've completed them successfully or comfortably. Based on what you've described, I might opt for the D level.

mtbr member
    Sounds good. Next Group ride is June 1, though. Holiday Monday equals no "official" ride and the following Monday is one of the club's two trail maintenance days, so no ride that night either.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Cool - thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Thank you all for the information. I really appreciate it.

mtbr member
    This seems like as good a time as any to ask: how do singlespeeders do on the group rides? I like to think I can hold my own, but there's some stuff that I am just never going to climb, and I've always wondered how that works in a pack.

mtbr member
    Never been an issue. If there's a climb coming up, I let the singlespeeder(s) take the lead so they can get some speed to take the climb. We have a few singlespeeders and they do pretty good.

mtbr member
    If they stall on the hill, they just dismount and run.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Heads up if you're riding in the dark: there are still plenty of boards missing from the creek bridge on Cambodia

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    newfangled,

I normally ride with Pedalhead (intermediate group) on my 1X1 and do fine. Sometimes it's hard to keep up on the paths to the trail heads, but once we are in the trails I only walk the climbs that most other riders have to walk anyways. I also pretend jumping off the bike and running is my cyclocross practice.

The hardest part is being on 26" wheels and not being able to ride over roots or rocks... dang tiny wheels holding me back from winning the group rides.

mtbr member
    ^ in all seriousness, I quite enjoy the acceleration of my 26er ss vs my 29er ss.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Just pulled into terwilligar park. Holy dogs everywhere! Time to explore!

mtbr member
    Fast ride out to the Science Park last night with the club to ride the Sunday XC race course. The Royal River Valley Rumble II: The Gnome is Nigh ABA XC #2 MTB | HARDCORE BIKES

Nothing special to note that nobody doesn't know already (dry and dusty) except that the main ladder bridge that takes you from Gold Bar into Cambodia has all missing planks nailed back in place....for now.

mtbr member
    Edmonton Ski club is planning on adding some bikey stuff:

Vision & Master Plan | Edmonton Ski Club

Imagine the summer, spring & fall recreation possibilities:
    Cultural and recreational activities will abound in the summer months! Fitness options for morning commuters and visitors delivered by the LRT include jogging, biking, roller blading and roller skate skiing, alpine climbing, and perhaps a hike along the river. The Club’s change rooms and showers, lockers and bike rental and storage facilities make it convenient for members and visitors to drop in and work out anytime. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served on the sun-baked Lodge plaza or Muttart patio.

The newly revamped Edmonton Ski Club will include:

All terrain skills park for mountain bikers
    Zipline, challenge course an aerial park
    Launching pad for hang gliders and hot air balloons
    Improved grounds with amphitheater for the Edmonton Folk Music Festival and other events
    New lodge that offers a full restaurant cafe, exercise equipment, change rooms, showers, lockers, equipment rental and retail store.

mtbr member
    That map is pretty interesting. Nice to see where the LRT will line up and the other amenities that will be built, even if this is all at the planning stage. Not sure how the LRT will go up Connors Hill with the amount of space available with the existing sidewalk.

mtbr member
    Since presumably this will be pay-to-play, I just hope it doesn't kibosh the city's plans for a skills park around the old QEII pool and Walterdale (although who knows if/when that will ever happen)

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Speaking of the Edmonton Ski Club area, does anyone know what kind of condition Camel Humps is in?

Camel Humps Mountain Bike Trail - Central Edmonton (South), Edmonton | Trailforks

Is there any bikeable trail in that stretch of forest, for that matter?

mtbr member
    Camel Humps is in okay condition. Some of the off cambered areas are pretty tight and loose. I usually avoid the area as it needs some decent amount of work to make it a more viable trail, IMO

mtbr member
    It's perfectly viable. It's good practice to ride off camber foolishness!

There's a big pile of trees down in cambodia, just west of the two white wood bridges.

Also Pogey / Potluck / Wally are covered in some sort of pollen.

mtbr member

I think it would be great if there was a trail within the trees besides Connors. So instead of being spit out after north end of upper Millcreek it would continue on up Connors (instead of riding sidewalk) to connect with Camel humps. Perhaps this trail should be called Camel Toe.

I think I overheard someone say that it once existed. Ive never really explored in there.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    just curious - are the loose, off-camber sections of Camel Humps pretty exposed, or are they relatively safe?

mtbr member
    Safe in that you can always fall to the inside of the slope. If anything, they are easy to walk for the first couple of times. I thin that there's only one section next to the fallen tree that is a bit sketchy. The looseness of the trail is due to the lack of moisture, but that's true of almost all trails in Edmonton.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Cool thanks -- might be worth checking out for me. I just wanted to avoid ricocheting down the slope.

mtbr member
    Did my annual investigation of the low trail that goes from Laurier/Mackenzie Ravine to Mckinnon. It still sucks. And I'd say it actually sucks more than it used to, because the north end of it was muckier than I remembered even though we've had zero rain.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Did my annual investigation of the low trail that goes from Laurier/Mackenzie Ravine to Mckinnon. It still sucks. And I'd say it actually sucks more than it used to, because the north end of it was muckier than I remembered even though we've had zero rain.
    I'd love to see some rehab done to this trail. Haven't ridden it in a couple years, but if I remember correctly it's pretty solid up until you hit the swampy bits near the N end. Would be sweet to have a single track option to get from Buena Vista/Belgravia up to McKinnon!

mtbr member
    ^ I swear someone up top either has a leaky pool, or they drastically overwater their lawn. Because yesterday one section of the singletrack had turned into an actual stream. I don't know where all that water comes from, but as long as it's still flowing through there that trail will still be worth avoiding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WayneGretzky View Post
    I'd love to see some rehab done to this trail. Haven't ridden it in a couple years, but if I remember correctly it's pretty solid up until you hit the swampy bits near the N end. Would be sweet to have a single track option to get from Buena Vista/Belgravia up to McKinnon!
    Ya I agree. Fatbiking through there in winter was a gong show as I recall a really steep part where there was no choice but to sit on your ass and slide down unless you are ballsy enough to ride down.

Gone through many times and always a mess n muck. Be great if drainage was fixed somehow so it doesn't affect ride ability of the single track.

mtbr member
    Had an almost close-call (not quite a close-call, but close to being a close-call) with two of these things on the hilly gravel doubletrack right by hawrelak yesterday:

Road slicks, ridiculous rake angles, gravel, and two out-of-control riders...

In case anyone is ever wondering, from the city's parkland bylaw 2202:

“Motor Vehicle” means a Vehicle propelled by any power other than muscular power but does not include a motorized wheelchair or other similar device;
    No person shall: operate a Motor Vehicle on Parkland except on a Roadway
    Calgary goes a step further and explicitly states "Do not use electric bikes or scooters on the pathway, it is prohibited."

I yelled that those things were not legal, and got told to "[email protected]#$ off", presumably because the stores are implying to their customers that an e-scooter is legally exactly the same as a bicycle. On the road that is true, but not on parkland/mups.

mtbr member
    That is insane. One good washout on one of those will prevent future riding on the gravel (hopefully).

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Just dropped into the single track in oleskiw forest (SW end of ft ed walk bridge - the city went it and bulldozed the opening 30-45 seconds of the trail! Anyone got the inside on that??? I am furious at this.

mtbr member
    ^ yesterday I actually looped around on the doubletrack, but then I couldn't find my way into the singletrack because of all the new construction fencing (although honestly I wasn't looking too hard). So I followed the treeline north and did eventually find my way in, but was wondering if you could still get in from the other end.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    If its the end near the new bridge construction, its been like that since mid winter ( we fat biked up and over some of the dirt piles - tons of fun) and is all part of the planned new bridge construction.

If its at the other end, we have an issue as that was NOT part of any plan that was presented by the city to EMBA.

Fejjo can you clarify which pedestrian bridge it is by. The Fort Edmonton existing bridge (further north) or the new under construction terwillegar bridge (further south).

mtbr member
    Hardcore trail day was tonight. Dirty mattress fixed. Old existing trail on behind the old Queen E pool cleared and fixed!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Sorry I should have clarified. West side of the existing Ft edmonton walking bridge. Entrance into the forest single track that you would travel southbound along the river to get to the new bridge construction.
    It's hacked in an then cuts sharply right into the river. This happens on the north end of that island.

It makes no sense. Doesn't even go far enough to access the island. I don't get it at all.

Someone better contact someone. At least it doesn't go too far...... Yet.

GPS didn't work. I'll see if I can figure out how to add pics tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Skyline is (mostly) no more. The new ride around is far enough away from the river that there'll be enough vegetation to hold it together for a while. I'm sure it won't be long before someone un-blocks the old trail and starts riding it, but the first serious set of rains will start to wipe section out, and there'll be no sense hacking out another unsustainable trail 2' away.

Prairie Girls, Dirt Girls, and PedalHead all have trail days this week too, should be exciting to see how clean the trails look next week!

mtbr member
    Do you mean the entire Skyline trail is no more or just part of it?

mtbr member
    The west half has a big reroute to keep it well away from the slumping river edge.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavtor View Post
    The west half has a big reroute to keep it well away from the slumping river edge.
    Does Skyline have any river drop-off sections at all now, or is it all buffered on the river side by vegetation/flat ground now?

mtbr member
    Does Skyline have any river drop-off sections at all now, or is it all buffered on the river side by vegetation/flat ground now?
    The bank side is exposed for a good section. It's not a trail to take if you suffer from vertigo or if you don't have confident handling skills. It's a five minute walk, so if anything, just walk your bike to get a feel for it.

mtbr member
    ^ and hope no one is coming the other direction. Squeezing past people along there is always lots of fun.

mtbr member
    Group ride report from last night.

Andre's trail now has a berm on the steep hill immediately after the skinny bridge. Before, you could ride west to east, ride over the bridge, and hold your speed through the trees, take the sharp right corner and coast up the short steep hill. Now, you can do the same thing, but with more speed with the berm built into the corner at the base of the short hill. It looks like the top of the short hill has been worked a bit too for a smoother transition.

Existing trail from Queen E road to staircase, by the old Queen E pool is a bit loose and dusty. Some more rain and riders will pack it down. The access point is on the west side of the pedestrian crosswalk on Queen Elizabeth Park Road, right along the guard rail about twenty meters south of the crossing. Trailforks shows Bohemian Maid as the trail that takes you from Saskatchewan Drive to the old Queen E parking lot - this new trail breaks off from this one. It's short and nothing too hard, but it's better than taking the dirt road that leads you to Brewmaster trail.

Almost another head on collision on the Edmonton Queen singletrack. Even if the trail was marked one way, would everybody take heed? I'm guessing no. I don't ride this trail myself unless I'm in the middle of a train (like last night) or in the spring/autumn when you can see through the blind corners.

McNally river trail (Ewok next to the river) go around is nicely packed now with a small ladder bridge. It's a great alternative to the slumping and super off camber trail section where the natural spring is. Easy to miss if your're not looking for it, but once you see it, it's hard to miss on future rides. Definitely better east to west, but both directions work and avoid the off camber stuff.

Mosquitos are really bad in Kinnard Ravine. Other areas didn't seem so bad, but Kinnard was brutal.

mtbr member
    ...and the reworked Skyline Trail west entrance section is pretty good! It goes for quite a ways, and it's a bit loose now, but it won't take much to get it packed down.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Kinnard Ravine is always bad for mosquitos (my belief is because its always sheltered from the wind), and random homeless/drunk dudes.

mtbr member
    Anybody know what was done in McKinnon Ravine last night? EMBA and Dirt Girls trail night was there last night, but nothing on Twitter or Facebook that I can see for what was done. I heard that a major reroute of Back Breaker was in the plans?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Anybody know what was done in McKinnon Ravine last night? EMBA and Dirt Girls trail night was there last night, but nothing on Twitter or Facebook that I can see for what was done. I heard that a major reroute of Back Breaker was in the plans?
    Building a berm to the left of the log drop. I had to cut off this trail as they had just started working on it

mtbr member
    Ah, okay. Thanks for the information. I guess the intent is that when you take the go around, that you can hold your speed at the bottom of the short steep drop.

mtbr member
    Hit backbreaker on the way home, and it's pretty different.

Not that I'm complaining about the great work that the volunteers do, but personally I think they did a little bit too much. The ride around for the big log is great and was needed, but after that everything is bermed now too. I liked some of those roots.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Good to run into to you on the trails today @newfangled.

mtbr member
    Yeah, you too. I ended up bumping into 3 groups yesterday, and I guess that the clinic went well?

Trails were nice and dry after saturday's rain, but it looks monsoon season is here.

mtbr member
    Hit backbreaker on the way home, and it's pretty different.

Not that I'm complaining about the great work that the volunteers do, but personally I think they did a little bit too much. The ride around for the big log is great and was needed, but after that everything is bermed now too. I liked some of those roots.
    EMBA's Facebook page has a poster echoing the same sediments as you. I'll have to get out and check out the reworked sections!

mtbr member
    ^ I went back again on the weekend, and I'm sure we'll all get used to it. Riding rigid, I'm genuinely glad to see the log get fixed, since the leadup and runout used to be all over the place. But now someone with a 6" FS could probably do the back half of that trail with their eyes closed. It might need to be renamed.

mtbr member
    I know that the reroute around the log, last time I rode it, had eroded quite a bit and it was a good drop down to log level. Kind of ass puckering in a good way. From what I hear, this reroute will make the trail rideable in both directions, which given the tightness of the trail, isn't necessarily a good thing. Probably not an issue as I've never had much of an issue with two way traffic on root canal.

mtbr member
    New back breaker reroute:

mtbr member
    The video doesn't capture half of it. It's super fun. Still pretty soft so you can't really push into it yet. It's also too soft to climb, it'll be interesting to see what two way traffic gets like on it. I've never really had a problem with 2 way traffic on the upper section.

I'm not sure what the dude on EMBA's facebook page is complaining about. I rode it a bunch on friday and there weren't trimmings anywhere. The Dirt Girls know what they're doing. Just a grump, grumping about change.

mtbr member
    Yeah, it was clean when I went through. I figure the guy on facebook might have just been surprised by a blocked line? It'd be pretty easy if you went in there without knowing there'd been any changes.

mtbr member
    The video doesn't capture half of it....
    Is the other half that takes you down to the gravel path reworked as well?

mtbr member
    Yup. The last couple corners get tight, they're fun!

mtbr member
    Cool, I definitely need to see this first hand!

mtbr member
    Kinnard Ravine is always bad for mosquitos (my belief is because its always sheltered from the wind), and random homeless/drunk dudes.
    Kinnard ravine trail was great, quite liked it - tight and technical but wish it was longer before you popped back out onto gravel trail. And I did notice huge swarm of mosquitoes.

The reworked section of skyline trail is good too.

Also enjoyed that little escape trail in Ewok where you break right just before you go down grey stone rock drop section - pretty neat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    While I dont mind the improvements to back breaker, the trail should be renamed.

mtbr member
    So I rode out to backbreaker to see what the fuss is all about. Wow, this trail now has a polarizing ending!

I don't like it nearly as much as the old trail. Having said that, pedalhead's group exited just after I did and all of them thought it was awesome! I think this will be a love/dislike thing. I personally don't hate it (hate is a pretty strong position), but I prefer the old trail. Based on what I heard tonight and what's been posted already, there's going to be a lot of riders that love it!

Root canal has a lot of trail trimmings left on the trail. Backbreaker is completely clean of trail trimmings.

mtbr member
    Bunch of earthmoving and snow fences on the brewery trail by the old QE pool. The new trail jkirkpatri mentioned a few days ago is still all accessible, but west of that a section of the trail is bulldozed into nothing, and right at the end of the rooty decent to ft hill road there's a snow fence (although there's enough time to stop, and I assume it will be shredded before too long). Not sure what's going on there - the city isn't routing a new mup above their maintenance facility are they? It seems pretty hilly for that.
    Last edited by newfangled; 06-07-2015 at 08:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hey everyone, I'm new(ish) to Edmonton and looking to hit the trails but I can't seem to find them. Ive gone exploring the river valley a few times but I find it very frustrating... 200m of single track aaaaand back to gravel path. If anyone would be willing to let me tag along next time you go out to ride your favourite routes I'd really appreciate it... I'll try not to slow you down too much I promise!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by thebrooder View Post
    Hey everyone, I'm new(ish) to Edmonton and looking to hit the trails but I can't seem to find them. Ive gone exploring the river valley a few times but I find it very frustrating... 200m of single track aaaaand back to gravel path. If anyone would be willing to let me tag along next time you go out to ride your favourite routes I'd really appreciate it... I'll try not to slow you down too much I promise!
    @thebrooder. I feel your pain. I think most riders have a similar experience when they first start riding Edmonton. The biggest help I have had is going on group rides with the various bike clubs in town.

Trailforks.com also helps to some extent.

Don't get discouraged the riding here is great once you learn how to link up trails into a solid ride.

What kind of riding are you hoping to do? XC, all-mountain, technical trails, or new school flow? race pace? out for a Sunday cruze?

mtbr member

Some shots of what newfangled is talking about.

That new trail that links between the staircases near QE road is great - rode it today.

Millcreek sucked ass as rode through endless swarms of bugs.

Spanish switchblade was very dry/ dusty/ loose up top right when you drop in and things get hairy - be careful.

Tried that new end section of back breaker. Honestly wish it was left the way it was. I can see how people can be upset when you change what use to be a challenging section into a swirly easy switchbacks and block off all old techy ride arounds.

mtbr member
    Yes, the City is putting a MUP through the old brewery trail area.

I've been meaning to put up more Hardcore group rides as 'Routes' on Trailforks. I'll try to be better at that. With some variety, it should be an easy place to point new riders to the area.

But as Mitch said, the best way to learn the trails is to join your friendly neighborhood bike shops bike club. With a variety of ride leaders you'll always find new ways to link trails together, and have a group of folks to ride with!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by funnyjr View Post
    Spanish switchblade was very dry/ dusty/ loose up top right when you drop in and things get hairy - be careful.
    Yeah, if we get a decent storm that entry will be gone.

Ah yes:
    Edmonton Spring/Summer 2015-untitled.jpg
    Queen Elizabeth Park Master Plan :: City of Edmonton

But that means the new singletrack will probably get blocked off too when they build the new parking and shelter. Although QE park really needs to get fixed, so it's nice to see them moving on it.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the link. The implementation plan (follow the link) outlines what areas will be done first. Looks like this is the first step. Also sounds like we'll get pedestrian lights at the road crossing too.

mtbr member
    ^ I'd never looked at that implementation document, but it's full of good stuff.

Although you'd think they could have put pedestrian lights in before the 3 year closure of the lower trail...

Good to know the skills park is phase 3 (of 5), so it could maybe conceivably happen in a reasonable timeframe.

mtbr member
    May 2015

I've been meaning to put up more Hardcore group rides as 'Routes' on Trailforks. I'll try to be better at that. With some variety, it should be an easy place to point new riders to the area.

But as Mitch said, the best way to learn the trails is to join your friendly neighborhood bike shops bike club. With a variety of ride leaders you'll always find new ways to link trails together, and have a group of folks to ride with!

Are there many single track routes that are yet to be posted to trailforks? I've been assuming that trailforks has mostly everything --- everything that is currently maintained and rideable, that is.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Are there many single track routes that are yet to be posted to trailforks? I've been assuming that trailforks has mostly everything --- everything that is currently maintained and rideable, that is.
    Trailforks has a routes feature that allows you to link trails together into a ride. Which is really helpful for riding area like Edmonton.

Hardcore Patricia Ravine Route | Trailforks

You are correct, most of the single track in Edmonton is on Trailforks. But not all of it.

-Mitchell

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikermitch View Post
    Trailforks has a routes feature that allows you to link trails together into a ride. Which is really helpful for riding area like Edmonton.

Hardcore Patricia Ravine Route | Trailforks

You are correct, most of the single track in Edmonton is on Trailforks. But not all of it.

-Mitchell
    Thanks. Any specific trails come to mind? I'm curious on what I'm missing out on now.

mtbr member
    There are a few newly refurbished trails that aren't on there, and a bunch of old grown in trails that aren't on there. Also a fair number of short connectors that are just a pain to extract from a .gpx file. There's a bunch of stuff in the middle of Terwilligar, South Mill Creek, and Sunridge that isn't on there. And a few different ways through Sidewinder.

mtbr member
    And now there are a couple of jumps on backbreaker. I'm not sure if it's because people were building the jumps or just because it's been so dry, but the bermed sections have crumbled a bit in the last few days.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    The caterpillars are here

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    And now there are a couple of jumps on backbreaker. I'm not sure if it's because people were building the jumps or just because it's been so dry, but the bermed sections have crumbled a bit in the last few days.
    Probably both as well as new construction. Unless you really take your time things are always going to settle out.

mtbr member
    Did six shooter get benched in last night?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Did six shooter get benched in last night?
    I think that is planned for the 17th.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    What is benching in exactly?

mtbr member
    Taking an off camber trail and cutting into it to create a horizontal trail on a slope. Six Shooter has some pretty bad off camber sections that will torque your wheel and frame due to the twisting that happens. Benching those sections makes the trails rideable. If there was no benching, any amount of moisture results in a trail that is too slippery to ride at an angle.

This will help visualize:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=bench...IV9lqMCh0CdQCp

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    What is benching in exactly?
    Edmonton Spring/Summer 2015-p4pb11764582.jpg

This is a great example of an extreme case of bench cut.
    Lots of labour to put something like this in.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikermitch View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p4pb11764582.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	209.9 KB 
ID:	995264

This is a great example of an extreme case of bench cut.
    Lots of labour to put something like this in.
    Edmonton Spring/Summer 2015-11056408.jpg

Couldn't they have done something similar in Terwillegar? Good lord.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Not MTB related, but I'm thinking of riding my fat-out-of-shape-rear-end to work .. from Henday & Terwillegar, what would the path of least resistance to get to South Campus?

I've ridden to/from Hawrelak via Whitemud Road -> Fort Edmonton -> Keillor -> Equine Centre -> big hill -> Sask Drive -> Hawrelak before, and when I was a scrawny little kid I rode under the power lines from Riverbend to 119 st and then North on the multi-use path to the University.. that's pretty much the only two ways eh?

I'm sure I'll be walking up the big hills anyways.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    What about riding along 23 ave to the lrt and taking the train to south campus?

When I am commuting I always google it. Google usually has the best route.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/53.44...53.5016438!3e1

Huh?
    I don't think you are really allowed to take your bike on an lrt train during peak hours.

Once you cross the ravine along the power lines or 23rd (Yeah, that hill sucks a lot more on the way home) there is bike friendly path pretty well all the way to the university farm. That is how I would do it.

mtbr member
    That is correct - no bikes on LRT during peak hours

Bikes on LRT :: City of Edmonton

mtbr member
    I'm at south campus, but come from the other direction. For the southside commuters I know it's a tossup between 111 or 119. I don't know if any of them have to do the ravine (I think they're all more east), but it's either that or do that climb at Keillor and Ft. Edmonton instead.

I guess one tweak to the rivervalley route would be to do the loop around Ft. Edmonton, but then cross Fox Drive to the trailhead building, and head up the gravel mup into Grandview. That mup is pretty brutal as you get closer to the top, but it would save you a bit of distance compared to keillor and sask dr.: https://goo.gl/maps/Y4UKT

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for the tips, I'll give it both a shot. I guess it pretty much depends if I want a gruelling uphill near the beginning or near the end of my ride.

mtbr member
    Things are still pretty dry out there on sunday morning, in case anyone's wondering.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Things are still pretty dry out there on sunday morning, in case anyone's wondering.
    Good to know. I should probably get out for ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    It's going to take a week of non-stop rain to make a difference, especially in the SW, which seems to have missed most of the rain the past weekend and further back. It's bone dry out here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hello, greetings from Cuba MTB Club.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Anyone ride Victoria's Secret lately? The west end is getting really overgrown in some sections, creating some pretty sketchy blind corners.

mtbr member
    ^ strange that you mention that, because I'm pretty sure one of the groups had a trail maintenance day scheduled there for today.

mtbr member
    Think trail day today was in six shooter cause I got an email to help but couldn't .. Unless another group was doing Vic Sec.

mtbr member
    ^ yup, just checked the DG site. They'd originally planned Victoria Secret and Lovers Lane (?) but switched to six-shooter.

mtbr member
    It'll be interesting to see how much benching was done on six shooter - it sure needs it!

mtbr member
    So I've got a question about trails days.

I'm in a condo, and have 0 gardening tools. If I was going to buy 1 tool just so that I could help out on trails days (although I've been busy for the recent ones anyway) what would be most useful? Just big clippers?

mtbr member
    Yes, big clippers are the most useful. Having said that, I've never brought any tools (don't have any) and there is always lots to go around. EMBA has their own batch that they bring out so there's always lots of tools available. Biggest thing to remember on trail days is mosquito repellent!

mtbr member
    ^ that's good to know. I was talking to someone who was at the sciencepark day a few weeks ago, and they'd said there weren't many spares to go around.

mtbr member
    I think they had around 50 people show up to that one, which is a huge turnout. I think the normal turnout size is 20-30

mtbr member
    Even with all the rain, the trails were in great shape tonight. Did not ride Mill Creek as it is usually slimy when we get rain, but south trails to whitemud all good, trails north from whitemud to Capilano all good, and trails from Capilano on South side to Mill Creek all good as well.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Is Victoria's Secret overgrown still?

mtbr member
    Didn't ride it last night as I was thinking that it'd be too overgrown and I didn't want to deal with it.

mtbr member
    It was getting pretty narrow when I rode it last week, but no worse than a lot of places in town right now. I wouldn't skip it on account of it being overgrown. The north end of Lovers Lane is getting pretty tight though.

There was an honest to god puddle near the entrance to Mustang on Sunday. I hardly knew what to do!

mtbr member
    It was getting pretty narrow when I rode it last week, but no worse than a lot of places in town right now. I wouldn't skip it on account of it being overgrown. The north end of Lovers Lane is getting pretty tight though.
    My issue is headroom. The in growth on the sides is bearable, but there's a couple of spots where the headroom in the past has been too low for me to ride through.

mtbr member
    Black bear sighting near Emily Murphy park this morning. Edmonton Police on site and are moving towards Kinsmen. Just a heads up!

https://twitter.com/edmontonpolice

mtbr member
    ^ yeah, passed a police officer who was randomly standing on the groat bridge this morning and wasn't sure what was up.

mtbr member
    Haven't been to Cambodia in a while. The new bridge is fantastic! There's obviously been some work done on the trails out there. Photo credit - thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    Bear spotted again last night by Capilano bridge, on the north side of river by Highlands Golf Course. Search continues in River Valley for black bear | 630 CHED - Edmonton Breaking News, Traffic, Weather and Sports Radio Station

mtbr member
    Victoria Secret is its usual self. I think it's only really bad at the end by the bridge where you can't see your line until it's too late.

Took my fixie down backbreaker today - kindof terrifying, but surprisingly doable.

mtbr member
    Did a long haul ride yesterday. Started at 8:30am and was back home by 3:30pm. Trails were greasy for the first four hours, and then dried up quite a bit later on. Stayed away from the super muddy single track.

The re-worked old lost trail that was refreshed and reworked in Gold Bar is super awesome. It'll need a few rides to get settled in. The best thing about the old single track that's been refreshed is that it links in to Cambodia nicely and if that wood bridge gets torn down (again), this trail circumvents that bridge entirely. Easily going to be a super fun trail.

mtbr member
    I can't even imagine that much time out.

I just got back from 3hours this morning, and I was dying. It wasn't that warm or that muggy, but it was the worst ride I've had in a long time. Time to break out the foamroller because right now my legs have nothing left for tomorrow or the weekend.

I think there's a new connector trail right at the west end of risky business - I'd never noticed it before, anyway. Right now it's very loamy and very narrow, but it basically gets you a little closer to the bridge.

mtbr member
    Yes, that new connector is brand new. It's a nice little stretch that beats taking the gravel path.

mtbr member
    We cleaned up Camel humps, opened up the worst 2 narrow off camber sections and trimmed it out. It rode pretty well yesterday. There's still a bit of off camber, but I think if it's dry it'll flow pretty well.

I was wondering if we'd run into you guys J, looks like we just missed you at Walterdale. We skipped a few trails because they were wet, especially early, and skipped a few more because we were tired, or needed a water detour, but we rode most of the river valley. Takes a long time to get 1500m of climbing in this town!

mtbr member
    Yeah, I didn't know there was a group ride going on, but that's okay. We had nine in our group at one point, so big enough. I was super bummed to see all the rain that came down overnight, but the day still turned out pretty good!

There's been some bush clearing and log clearing on the single track just west of the Fort Edmonton bridge on the north side, heading towards the new Terwilliger bridge. The first third of the trail is great as it's been obviously worked and cleared, the last two thirds is just as sucky as ever with the over growth. Workers were at the bridge site working, so couldn't get close to see how the work is progressing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I rode mustang for the first time last night. The rain looks like it did that trail some good. Not wet, just perfectly tacky/grippy, not slimy/slippery which one would expect after a rain.

rides with camera
    Heads up if you are on the riverside trail between Hawerlak and the Equestrian centre. The other half of this log bridge was removed making it a very dangerous situation to riders who know the trail. Was with a riding buddy last week who almost had a serious crash (heading west). Coming back yesterday, me and Jason (jkirkpatri) ran into a couple who met the same fate.

We removed the approach ramp again but this has been done once already. Someone put the ramp back. It is very dangerous to hit this when you can't see the other side and you are expecting a ramp.

Careful out there!

Pictures attached.

Edmonton Spring/Summer 2015-img_1780.jpgEdmonton Spring/Summer 2015-img_1781.jpg
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    I tossed the bridge a little farther into the bush on Wednesday. It's within sight to be repaired, but hopefully far enough that no one's going to bother half assing it back into place.

mtbr member
    Rode from Mill Creek to Mustang and back yesterday. Super hot, and of course, super smoky! You can tell where the work was done on Mustang and the work that was done has helped the trail quite a bit. It still a chore to ride up it. Definitely better riding it down.

The log that the bridge was over, and then removed, and then tossed into the bushes, has been removed completely now:

Spanish switchblade is getting more and more eroded. Still rideable, but going around the tree at the top, just past the first corner, is getting tighter and tighter.

Some asshat(s) put up some tree blockages in the Kinsmen around the ladder bridge just off the paved trail. I removed them all and was a bit wary for the rest of Kinsmen. The trees that were used to block the trail were fairly large. Not sure what people are thinking when they do that.

Terwilliger golf course trail, is of course, clear cutted for the evenutal paved path. There's pretty good regrowth happening now:

Some of the original trail is still there as the grade is too steep for the paved trail (I guess?):

Overall, the trail is still rideable, has been ridden and packed down quite a bit, and if anything, is faster now that the sight lines are open. Most of the nice techy holes and roots are gone, of course.

Mustang entrance:

Entrance back into the ravine further southwest of Mustang entrance. It's just a smooth trail that goes down, follows the ravine for a bit, and then comes back up to the green shoulder space between the Anthony Henday and the ravine. In other words, not worth the ride:

Nice spot for a break. Opposite side of bank is Breathless. Some guy fishing over there on the bank.

Terwilliger jump bowl getting plenty of use, evident by the shovel and jumps. Nobody around when I was there, probably too hot:

Terwilliger bridge, from the residential streets where some houses were lost way back when:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast