Edmonton rocks !- Mtbr.com
    ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006

Edmonton rocks !

After a week of rain the skies finally cleared and we got some beautiful riding weather... the only high side of it raining nearly everyday was that I was able to spend time in the shop tweaking the speed triple and getting Jenny (my Trek) prepped for whenever the opportunity to hit the trails presented itself.

Losing the 44 and adding the Bashie lite really seems to have been a good idea as I would have taken out the 44 going over one of the logs in the playground. I also found no reason or situation where I had to drop into my granny as a 32/34 gear ratio is more than enough to climb anything.

I called up PsychoMike and we arranged to meet down at the Millcreek pool for an evening ride through what certainly must be one of the greatest biking cities in North America. There was some added challenge as the rain had pounded the growth down and over the trails which made some sections nearly impossible to see until you were right on them and did I mention that there was mud ?.

We headed north through the ravine and collected our weight in mud on the single track sections then decided to go over to Riverdale via the single track on the low side of the river and nail the singletrack playground on the south side of the river.

There were a few spills (and Mike's wife is gonna freak when she sees that elbow), lost more than a little more blood to the mosquitos and ended up doing a lap around the river valley betwen the low level bridge and Riverdale before heading back by which time it was starting to get pretty dim.

Sadly, the pictures I took of the playground didn't turn out since it was a little too dark but I did get a shot of Mike and Jenny in all her muddy glory. On the bright side, it's a good reason to go back in the daylight and take some more pictures of one of Edmonton's coolest riding spots. I dare the city to try and make this area golf cart accessible.

This is Mike and one dirty Fisher Cake in the playground. I think that's his happy to be alive smile because he had just survived a decent spill he took on a nasty little descent that almost got me too.

This is my good old girl "Jenny" who spent some time up to her gears in mud and did a fine job of eating up those hills. I'm gonna have to buy her something nice for how she treated me... perhaps some new tires and a new rear hub and wheel ?

So thanks to Mike for taking the call and making for some fine company on what was a spectacularly fine 22 km run through the valley. (This was the first time we had met in person).

I can't wait until we get the chance to do this again and if we're lucky the trails will be drier than they were tonight but hey... a little mud never hurt anyone.

I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

mtbr member

Rabbit Hill

My son came up to Edmonton Saturday night so we could check out Rabbit Hill Sunday. I gave his his birthday present http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...44#post1960844 and we set out for what I assumed would be a mud bath. The lifts were running and I was suprised by the poor showing of adults. Lots of teenagers but I think I was the old man at 48 and even my 24 year old son felt old. We stuck mainly to the intermediate trail with our trail bikes but had a ripping good time. The ground was nice and tacky and our bikes remained nice and clean. Some interesting wooden features and steep sections got the adrenalin flowing and only one crash by my son who hasn't been on a bike in a while. We are planning a trip to either Fernie or Kanaskis 1st week of july to get in some epic riding.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Hey T !

What is this clean you speak of ?
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

Student
    i dont know bout the trails there but......Go Oilers Go
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I expect the Oilers to be leaving Carolina with the Stanley Cup in hand... it's been 16 years and the words "Carolina" and "Stanley Cup" don't even belong in the same sentence.

I'll give the 'Canes some credit for playing as well as they have but I don't think they have enough in the tank to handle this determined team we have that seems to have no shortage of gas in the tank. As the series has gone on the Oilers have just skated faster, hit harder, and never showed any signs of quitting like Carolina did on Saturday.

Like our team, our trails also rock...

Our river valley and trail system here rivals every other major city in North America and I'm thinking we now have some 400 km of total trails, bike paths, and multi use trails as well as the new bike park at Rabbit hill.

Our river valley park system is also the largest continuous system in North America and riding it end to end takes well over 4 hours of hard cranking..

I'll be going back out to take some better trail pics this week and will post them here for y'all to ogle and envy.

Double-metric mtb man
    Hey 65-er,

It's too bad that those other pics didn't turn out...we'd have a lot of folks drooling over what we were having fun in last night. I'm thinking we need some shots of the grown in sections on some of the trails too (blind man's trail, anyone?).

Personally, I think we got off lucky with the handfull of spills, bails and "sudden stops" that we had, considering the speed we were taking some of those trails and the amount of light we had... And yeah, I'll agree with you...that's the sheepish "I oopsed" / "I'm lucky to be in one piece" grin you caught...but I'll admit that was 100% my fault as my timing sucked. Nothing like pre-loading the front to hop a depression just in time to drive your front tire right into it

Actually, the elbow doesn't look too bad now that it's washed up...little bit of gravel road rash, but I think I'd rather have that than have hit that stoopid grocery cart that someone left on the trail when we hit that corner going a wee bit too fast.

Over all it was a great ride...I ended up being 27 km on the day for me and I think it'll end up being a darn close to century week for me if the weather holds

Other than that, all I can say is Go Oilers Go!!
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

dreaming of bottlerockets
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
    My son came up to Edmonton Saturday night so we could check out Rabbit Hill Sunday. I gave his his birthday present http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...44#post1960844 and we set out for what I assumed would be a mud bath. The lifts were running and I was suprised by the poor showing of adults. Lots of teenagers but I think I was the old man at 48 and even my 24 year old son felt old. We stuck mainly to the intermediate trail with our trail bikes but had a ripping good time. The ground was nice and tacky and our bikes remained nice and clean. Some interesting wooden features and steep sections got the adrenalin flowing and only one crash by my son who hasn't been on a bike in a while. We are planning a trip to either Fernie or Kanaskis 1st week of july to get in some epic riding.
    Hey, I was at Rabbit Hill on Sunday, too. What were you riding?
    if it ain't broke you ain't ridin' hard enough
    http://www.outdoorsclub.ca - I'm the webmaster and I help run trips!

Members who have read this thread: 0