Edmonton Fall/ Winter 2017- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Edmonton Fall/ Winter 2017

Well so much for fall but let's jump right into the winter fatbiking adventures. I've managed to get out on 1 fatbike ride so far.. life has been just too busy and really I've been lazy to gear up for the cold. Fat bike day is coming up maybe that will be my next ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Not sure how I missed this thread.

Trails have been pretty good so far this year. Even with yesterday's rain, I've heard of good single track trail conditions.

Replaced my old Farley with a new Farley this year. From 26" to 27.5" tires has made a difference and Trek has increased the reach of their bikes slightly. New bike fits me better than the old one (but is really still too small). Taller tire diameter results in the need for a smaller front ring to keep climbing gears where they should be. 28 tooth is stock build, but putting a 26 tooth on.

Running grip studs in Knarwhals given the anticipated January/February thaw, that seems to have occurred in November this year. Also running a dropper post this winter with rides in -15 Celsius and no issues so far. Kanrwhals are super aggressive which means they have great traction, but roll horribly!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Edmonton Fall/ Winter 2017-20171111_091513%5B1%5D.jpg  

Edmonton Fall/ Winter 2017-img_20171101_150503_768%5B1%5D.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    We rode Whytemud creek for the first time this year. From the North Saskatchewan we made it down almost to 23 Ave. We went at night which made things extra exciting as not everything was frozen solid. Only got into serious trouble once when the creek went from frozen to, frozen with 15cm of creek (running water/slush) on top resulting in one wet foot.
    Well worth the adventure. Will hopefully try in again in the daylight on a colder day and see if I can make it all the way to the Henday.

mtbr member
    Trail conditions are pretty good right now. Lower Ewok trail by the river just has the usual ice flow from the underground spring. The bridge that was put in a couple of years ago to traverse this spring is now covered with the ice flow.

Mill Creek and Old Timers all good. Crunchy snow with a good base. Some ice sections on the hills, but nothing serious. Exposed Mill Creek trails are dirt, but frozen solid, so no mud to ride through.

Mid Ewok all good as well. Snow pack has definitely receded, but hopefully we get this snow storm and we'll get some more snow on the trails.

mtbr member
    First day of spring so this deserted thread will be closed and discussions moved to new spring/ summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk