Edmonton Fall/Winter 2014/2015- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Edmonton Fall/Winter 2014/2015

First snow fall today - thought Id start the thread to share our Edmonton cold season mtb / fatbike experiences.

Given the increasing popularity of fatbikes and closer adoption of them to being a part of mainstream cycling I predict lots of snow and fatbikes snow prints packing down the trails in Edmonton this winter.

Had lots of fun the few times I got to get out last winter with the fatbike. Now only if I can keep feet warm for longer than 1.5 hrs I'll be happy. I want to stick with SPD so at this point still reluctant to do the Sorel and flats thing. Aswell, still contemplating a Bluto for under the Xmas tree but thinking in Edmonton cold they may freeze up and fail.

Can't wait to revisit all the singletrack that will be covered in blanket of white. Will make for a different challenge within a familiar setting.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I am pretty excited to go riding tonight. Hopefully the trails aren't too wet underneath the snow. I think the canopy will have kept things relatively dry...

mtbr member
    It's been so dry lately, the trails should really suck up the moisture. I noticed this weekend that the dirt was cracking up just about everywhere. There isn't much of a canopy left.

The trails have been amazing the past few weeks, especially with all the work that's been done. Flew through the Terwilligar golf course trail a few nights ago, possibly the best 5 minutes of riding I've had in Edmonton this year.

There are plenty of bluto's out there, so I'm sure we'll find out how they fare when it gets cold.

mtbr member
    Subscribed. Have not been out on the bike for the past two weeks other than a Monday group ride. Too busy doing other stuff, which kind of sucks as the weather has been spectacular.

Yesterday, instead of riding my bike, I did this:

Week before was camping:

Hopefully the weather holds out for some more decent autumn riding before the snow takes hold. I'll take my camera and try to get some bike-related pics in this thread!

Couple of shots from two weeks ago:

mtbr member
    Yeah, it's been a really nice fall so far. I think things are still going to be pretty slimy tonight, but will hopefully dry up with another day or two.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I got dumped on by wet snow on my cross bike on Sunday. It was a blast but I need to rethink my glove situation before I pull out the fat bike. I am also not yet willing to give up clipless pedals in winter just yet.

mtbr member
    There were a few slimy spots last night, and wood work was pretty slippery with frost, but a great ride other than that. Looks good for the rest of the week.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by canbmw View Post
    I need to rethink my glove situation
    I find that flip-top mitts overtop of fullfinger gloves are the best for shoulder-season weather.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    I find that flip-top mitts overtop of fullfinger gloves are the best for shoulder-season weather.
    Costco has some thin Head brand gloves with rubber on the fingers and palms. Been using them last couple weeks and they keep the digi's warm enough.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    What are people riding for fatbikes? I'm considering picking one up but I'm put off by the pricetags ($2000+ for a steel frame with a rigid fork?!). Is it worth it? I don't really want to ride my XC 29er for another winter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeyd View Post
    What are people riding for fatbikes? I'm considering picking one up but I'm put off by the pricetags ($2000+ for a steel frame with a rigid fork?!). Is it worth it? I don't really want to ride my XC 29er for another winter.
    I just scooped up a 2015 Norco Bigfoot 6.2 fatbike, much less than $2k. There is also the 6.1 for $1k. Go cheap, see if you enjoy it, sell it next year and upgrade. Unless you go carbon they are all heavy. You can ride anywhere you like, just not very fast. Slow down and enjoy the ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    ^ Where did you pick up the Bigfoot 6.2? I am thinking of buying one for my wife this season. They look like a good price point/parts spec.

I bought a 9zero7 last year from Hardcore. I have ridden lot in the winter over the years (most recently on my FS 29er) and I would say that somehow fatbikes seem more fun although not necessarily lighter or faster in any way. I say you go for it. There seem to be some good options under 2K.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    ^ Where did you pick up the Bigfoot 6.2? I am thinking of buying one for my wife this season. They look like a good price point/parts spec.
    United...I am a preferred customer there so 10% off any regular price item, which helped. I know Western had some 6.2's but didn't have any large when I went there. I believe MSG's (my usual LBS) has some WO's left over from 2014 on sale. I hear Revolution & Hardcore are supposed to be getting some RSD's that will be at an entry level price point.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I got a Farley 8 a couple months ago. Its been a blast riding around our trails so far, but I am excited to see how it works out in the snow. I don't expect the bluto will come into play a lot in the winter, hopefully it holds out okay.

mtbr member
    I bought a Farley frame (alloy) last year and had Hardcore build it up for about the price that you're mentioning. The price is steep, but I justify this way: it only sees snow, so the bike and all consumables should last a very long time. I've tried riding in the winter with my summer bike - it sucks big time. I want to stay more active in the winter and riding trainers also sucks.

Combined the two sucky situations I mentioned above that I've always found myself in winters past, plus the longevity of the fat bike when used exclusively in the winter, the price didn't seem too bad to me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I bought a fatbike last winter, I'm actually kind looking forward to snow riding now. The summer bike has been well used this summer, and needs a complete overhaul/major tune up. Hope it snows soon so I can put the summer bike away.

mtbr member
    And I, for one, am looking forward to all the new fatbikes keeping the trails well groomed. 2 years ago was a major disappointment, because I swear all of the fatbikes owners were just roadies who wouldn't leave the mups. Last year was better, but I still found myself hiking through a-bomb a few too many time. Maybe this will be the winter!

mtbr member
    I think this will be the winter. We are planning on continuing our Hardcore Monday group rides all winter (weather permitting) and most of us will be on fat bikes. We won't shy away from the regular ST trails.

mtbr member
    Got out yesterday with Gord962. Mill Creek a little slimy in very few places, and all the rest in primo shape. Old Timers, Kinsmen, Laurier Park, McKinnon, all good. Probably not so good today with the rain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatri View Post
    Probably not so good today with the rain.
    Nice pics. It's funny though, because I can't really identify any of them (maybe the last one).

I took my ss hardtail out on Saturday for what could be its last ride of the season, and everything from mckinnon to millcreek was in great shape. The rain meant there were a few slimy leaves here and there, but nothing major.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I rode through the science park/cambodia trails yesterday. Was slimy, but still ridable. Hopefully one more weekend left of riding before fatbike season arrives still

mtbr member
    Saw 3 different police cars cruising up and down the mup in mckinnon today. Anyone know what was going on?

Also, be on the lookout for this guy and his german pointer:

I was on the trails on northside of the river between Capilano and the 50st footbridge. He was talking to another guy, and their dogs were running around offleash. As I rode by his dog charged and nipped at me.

Now, I've got a dog, and she's nipped me plenty of times, and she also doesn't particularly like bikes. So I startled the dog and I get it. It nipped me, so I stopped, and I waited. No big deal.

I tried to head out again, and it nipped and clawed at me again. So I stopped and duckwalked my bike a few feet, and tried to head out again, and it nipped at clawed at me again.

The owner was maybe 10' away during and was doing nothing, and after the 3rd nip I yelled at him to control his dog.

And that lead to a whole big argument about how it's an offleash area and he's had so many problems with cyclists and that people like me are what's wrong with the world and blah blah blah.

The two big things:

He was really hostile. He kept getting in my face and telling me to hit him so that he could call the cops. I told him I wasn't going to hit him, because he was already breaking the law. I was just going to take his picture and make him famous (hence the post)

I don't care about the nipping. All I wanted was for him to leash or at least hold his dog so that I could safely leave, and he refused to do anything until I'd pulled out my camera (and it honestly took me forever to find my camera. Like minutes. I really need a better system).

So I've reported him to the rangers, just incase anyone else has had problems, or has problems in the future.

If I rode through that area more frequently I'd paste up some insulting posters with his face on it, but nowadays I almost always stick to the south bank so this was all a bit of a fluke.

(and I know some people may suggest kicking the dog. But I won't do that unless I'm genuinely afraid for my safety. As I told this guy, the dog is not the problem - he is).

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I wouldn't suggest any hostile action. This pisses me off though. These people think that off-leash means "exclusive use for my god damn mutt to do what ever it wants to who ever it wants and you shouldn't be here" I love dogs, but I hate some dog owners. Buena Vista park has to be the worst for this. Some guy tried to run after me on my bike after I disagreed with him about it being a dog-only park.

The dog is never at fault though, it's just another bad owner.

I think I might start carrying a printed version of this around: http://www.edmonton.ca/activities_pa...Paws_Guide.pdf

I do my part to be a good trail rider, ring my bell, ride slowly, try not to frighten dogs, try to keep as much space between me and them... but I can't tell you the number of times I've almost run someones dog over because it comes running out of the bush to chase me, or is sauntering across your path... only to be accosted by its owner.

Thankfully most dog owners are respectful and courtesy of others.

mtbr member
    ^ like I said. All I wanted to do was leave, but I couldn't do that while the dog was free. And he would not grab his dog. It took him forever, with a whole bunch of claims that I was faking and being a baby before he even bothered.

Being nipped isn't the issue, although I did discover that there's a new hole in my pants now. I'm worried because his whole game was to try to start a fight (rather that just grabbing his f'n dog).

And Buena Vista is a terrible example. There are plenty of signs stating where bikes are and aren't allowed, and also what is offleash and what isn't. But there's no enforcement, and so everybody breaks the rules, and then everyone else feels self-righteous. The animosity down there is totally the city's own fault.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    This trail needs some packing in. Please ride it as much as can/ are interested in.

http://www.trailforks.com/trails/six-shooter/
    Last edited by mtnbikermitch; 11-05-2014 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Link edited

mtbr member
    ^ great news. Is it rideable both ways, or is it mostly meant for south=>north?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Should ride well both ways. In my opinion it has the possibility to be a great connector ridden north (from emily murphy) to the Belgravia trails (ie Spanish switchblade) (south). Its all up but its mostly mellow with the exception of two steep punchy climbs.

mtbr member
    Cool. I give up on one of the belgravia trails during the winter (looking at trailforks apparently I am talking about Spanish Switchblade) so I might use this as a shortcut to the University area. Crossing that fake traffic circle sucks, though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Maybe we will have to build a ladder bridge over groat road

mtbr member

At the rate the current bridge is taking to complete the city might just you up on the offer mitch ..the Alberta Advantage is an interesting trail.. Kinda like it opposed to the deadly road climb up to Belgravia. We had to hike a bike up out of the trail on southend as it spontaneously turned into bush.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Yeah, that Alberta Advantage trail could be pretty great. Needs some work, mostly on the off camber areas. There was about 15 of us that rode/hiked it last night.

Trails are still in great shape. No muddy spots, some frost here and there, but nothing crazy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    @funnyjr: sorry about the spontaneous ending. I tried to fence off where the trail ends so that you can just do the 10ft hike east up the grass hill to the street. I am hoping to get the rest of it put in sometime this week.

@jkirkpatri: yes there are some bad off camber areas and some places that need to be wider. Just trying to get it cut in then buff it out some more after.

Also I just found out from the guy who did a bunch of work on the trail before me that it is called six shooter so I have updated the name on trailforks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    That trailforks link seems to be broken?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    That trailforks link seems to be broken?

Fixed... The trail name changed so the link broke.

Six Shooter | Trailforks

one chain loop
    I will be working in Fort Saskatchewan for couple months and taking my fatbike with me. Are there any good trails you guys suggest around the area?
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yes! Some of the best river valley trails are in fort sask! If you start at the dock a trail runs either way along the edge of the river. Not sure how it will be over the winter but lots of joggers use it in the summer so it might be okay during the winter for fat biking

Some of the trail is marked on trailforks I'm on mobile right now so not easy to link atm

Edit: ok it wasn't so bad to find the link Hidden Gold Trail | Trailforks

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I rode up "six shooter" earlier in the season (during a purely exploration trip) from the bottom but took the left up hill about mid way to what is shown now as the end. Seemed like a crappy ending straight up. It was a soft mess (except the lower exit). I thought this would have been a great location for a lengthy trail. Thanks to those who have been working in there. Maybe I'll check it out tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Freaking stoked to go snow biking today!

mtbr member
    I'm going to hold off until we get a good snow pack going before I head out. Maybe two more weeks? I hate the in between stage that we're in right now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I was out this afternoon on the fat bike. The streets are a bit slushy, but the single track was delicious (Rode through the usual Terwillegar single tracks)

mtbr member

That's what I like to hear. Can't wait to get out on fatbike and I'm sure there are many others itching to test out there newly purchased fatbikes. Now only if this damn knee injury will heal.

mtbr member
    City updated the signs on the outer loop around hawrelak:

It used to be no-bikes, which meant that "technically" you needed to ride the inner loop which is supposed to be for x-country skiers. I'd sent an email about that during my first or second winter riding, but it's nice to see it's been changed.

In other news, great conditions everywhere for my 29er.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Cool!

I was out last night on my 29er and the trails are awesome. The fat bikes have done a great job of packing down the trails.

mtbr member
    ^ it's funny though, because I saw two couples walking on Happy Ending on the weekend. Since that trail is so new I was surprised that people were using it.

And since I had to go to trailforks to look up the name of Happy Ending, and since it's so quiet around here, I'm going to ask a few questions:

Is the Strathearn Traverse - Central Edmonton (South) | Trailforks worth crossing 98ave for?

Is Power Plant Trail | Trailforks the mup that's been closed for construction, or is there something else in there?

Midway down Spanish Switchblade there's another trail that heads north, and eventually meets up with the mup again. Before the snow fell it looked like someone had been clearing it, although it also went through an area with an old set of jumps. I never got a gps track of it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Strathearn Traverse is really grown in during the summer.
    Not sure how it would ride in the winter.
    Adventuring and trying something new is always worth it right?

Powerplant is a connecting route if you want to use it. It is partially on pavement/parking lot, sidewalk and single track. Its not overwhelming exciting but it beats taking some of the other routes in the area.

Re Spanish Switchblade. There is a lot of potential in that area (IMO because its so steep). Its cool that someone might be opening up some other trails.

mtbr member
    Strathern was pretty clear last we rode it. It's got a fair amount of off camber, which is something most of our trails don't do, so that makes it nice and different.

Powerplant is just a change of pace from continuing along the MUP.

mtbr member

I'm guessing that today would be a great day to test if your studded fatbike tires do really work . Anyone brave the river valley trails today? Would love to hear your ride report.

mtbr member
    I'll be out on the group ride for Monday. Haven't been on the bike in a month now...looking forward to Monday!

mtbr member
    And I have to ride straight home tonight, but am hoping I'll be able to goof around a bit tomorrow. Trail conditions had been really nice, up to this point.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I was playing around in Mill Creek. Loads of fun but by about 12:30 things started to get a little harder as the snow got deeper.

I couldn't stop laughing as I was knocking out some single track with a couple inches of snow on the trail.

Edmonton Fall/Winter 2014/2015-img_20141127_115151.jpg

mtbr member

I saw what looked like a bunch of high school students carrying snowshoes walking by my house today towards Mill Creek - possibly for phys Ed or outdoor Ed class. My hopes is that they helped pack down some of the singletrack - but I have a feeling that they just congregated in an open area and did snow angels.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I didn't see any tracks, so i'm betting on snow angles.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I picked up a Norco Bigfoot for my wife so I am hoping that things are packed down a bit by next weekend when it is supposed to warm up...

mtbr member
    A pretty tough commute home yesterday - possibly the toughest since I switched from a 26er to a 29er 4 years ago. Bottom-bracket-deep snow on the mups was okay (and I even managed to climb victoria park hill without incident), but the roads were just impossibly loose. Not sure what this morning will bring, but I assume it will be one of the rare days when I spend a lot of time on sidewalks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Trails in Patricia ravine were very hard to ride. I got out around 330 yesterday and had some early success but on the way back home it was just too deep to keep moving. Maybe I need to get heavier! I was surprised that I couldn't get much purchase with the Bulldozers but now I know the limits on what conditions I can push through. Was the snow just too deep or is it not suited to a 155lb rider?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    ^ Probably depends on what you are riding. My friend couldn't get any traction on his fat bike in deep snow yet his riding partner was doing OK on his cross bike - but the situation was reversed when it was a bit more packed down. That's my experience as well.

mtbr member

Edmonton singletrack fuggedaboutit!! Unrideable

mtbr member
    The MUT from Kinsmen to Emily Murphy is well packed down as it's a popular route. The MUT from Emily to Hawlerak, east to west, starts off good, but by the half way point, it's pretty much pot holed and super loose making for a frustrating ride. MUT down by Old Timers is pretty loose as well and hard to ride.

MUT might be in decent shape by the weekend with warmer temperatures coming. Should have more people out walking and will help solidify the snow pack.

As above, all single track isn't even close to rideable in the Old Timer/Kinsmen area.

mtbr member
    Glad it's not just me. Although all the paved mups I've been on have been good, and the roads are in really amazing shape (not sure what's going on there).

On the weekend I got myself a new drop-bar specific frame to break-in:

I had to accept that running drops on my other frame was killing my neck, and after a few rides this is much better. It's pretty much a boring 29er, but will fit 3" tires upfront, and close to that in the back. Now I just need someone to make 29+ studded tires.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Went out late last night on the fatty - the far east side of the high Patricia Ravine trail is fat ready - I did not go west so no report - and the riverside trail from ravine to ravine is also fat approved. The single track from the whitemud all the way to Hawrelak walking bridge on the Keilor side is also fat approved. Whitemud to Keilor slide had a single snowmobile track on it. I would have a hell of a time riding my hardtail on any of those trails right now.

mtbr member
    Global fat bike day is today (who knew such a thing existed?). There should be about 25 fat bikes on our group ride today. I'll try to take a picture or two.

mtbr member
    After only having the time to commute all week, I finally got in some singletrack today and yesterday. Yesterday the Equine Centre, Belgravia, Keillor and Mckinnon were all good. So today I was surprised that kinsmen and oldtimers were pretty crappy, although the uofa was decent. I'm looking forward to seeing how much 25 fatbikes will pack things down.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Was out in Terwillegar yesterday, and the perimeter trail is in decent shape, and the rollercoaster is painful, but a few more fatties down it and it should be good for all, especially with a bit of a warm up this week.

I'm going to be hitting the Hawrylak to Whitemud/Laurier Loop this afternoon.

mtbr member
    Hardcore's Saturday fat bike ride had a great turnout. 20-25 riders I would guess, plus another 12 riders on non-fat bikes. We rode almost all MUT with the single track exception of the single track just west of the Dawson bridge on the north side. MUTs were in decent shape, but the snow was still a bit granular in large spots making for some necessary bail outs (myself included) if you deviated from the 12" wide packed sections.

No real time for any decent pictures.

Looks like Anchorage had 140+ fatbike riders out. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I was also in Terwillegar on Saturday afternoon. I think virtually every summer rideable trail is fat worthy even if only two foot prints wide with the exception being the single track on the west side of the lakes (west side of MUT) - that one involved a lot of walking! Even checked out the low trail on the south bank of the hill side - that one was pretty bad.

Patricia Ravine is getting really good - some skinny tired dude powered the high trail some how. The off-camber spots are brutal. The double track below the golf course is doable on fat but the single track in the big tree stand is probably lost for quite a while.

Any word on cambodia?

mtbr member
    Lower Ewok by the river is all good and ride able. One big ice section that's about three feet and that's it. Report was that mid-Ewok is also packed down from a fat bike rider who wasn't with the group, but descended out of mid-Ewok and gave us the update just as we were heading down to lower Ewok.

Old Timers and the MUT all the way to lower Ewok are in great shape. Old Timer's single track is still loose and powdery.

Single track on north side of river by Dawson bridge is also good (as it was on Saturday) and the MUT up to the Capilano foot bridge is also good to go.

TNT is in ride able shape too, although it's probably best to ride that one west to east as we did to miss most of the hill climbs that are too loose to ride up (but easy enough to ski down on your bike).

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    which trail are you calling TNT

mtbr member
    It's Risky Business on Trailforks, but our club refers to it as TNT

mtbr member
    Single track in Old Timers and Kinsmen area is all packed down....but super icy. Dirty Mattress is almost all ice. All the MUT from Old Timers to Hawerlak is all in great, packed down shape.

mtbr member

Studded tires would be really helpful at this time. Now only if they were more reasonably priced

mtbr member
    Yeah, things were nice enough that I took the fixie out on some of the tamer singletrack on the weekend. But it is kindof crazy how you can ride a couple kms of nicely packed snow, and then - Glacier Ice for 50'!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    If you are looking to get that feeling of being out of the city you should get on the Oleskiew forest single track - SW corner of the Ft. Ed walking bridge. fat ridable (slowly for me!), lightly walked. It's a flat trail in the trees that gets you to a big field - The usual tree down still exists but there are a couple more low crossing trunks to be wary of. I also took a shot at Six Shooter yesterday since I'd never been on it (except some of the bottom once) . The top half is thin and crappy but it was rideable all the way to the switchback. After that point there was a lot of walking as there was 2 or 3 footprints tops on it before mine. Needs traffic! Keilor rd riverside trail and Patricia ravine are both good fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Does anyone know if the Fort Saskatchewan trail is ridable in the winter?

How about Patricia Ravine?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by feepa View Post
    How about Patricia Ravine?
    Fejjo says it's good?

Things are so random out there. Dirty Mattress is solid ice, but a few feet away Old Timers is in pretty good shape. Upper ewok is solid ice, middle is half/half, and lower is pretty good. A-bomb is in fantastic shape, happy ending is pretty good, and Caddytrack is okay but a little weirdly loose.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The entire Patricia ravine system is good to go. It's getting icy spots like everything else in the city but it is well walked and ridden. I have not checked out the small trail system along the river north of the creek outlet but last week there were foot prints on the access trail. I would assume the old road access is well walked down.

mtbr member
    Monday's group ride report: did all of Mill Creek. Trail conditions are in really good shape. Some icy sections, but nothing too crazy.

mtbr member
    River ice is about as nice as I've seen it (still a little too nerve-wracking though):

Had my second Ice Spiker Pro have a major sidewall failure (this tire was a warranty replacement that scwhalbe had sent me when the first tire failed last spring) so I've been running my summer front tire for the last week, and conditions have been great for it.

mtbr member
    Been riding from mill creek to Goldbar three times over the past week. Both sides of river and all trails are in great shape. Couple of ice flow walk arounds on lower ewok.

mtbr member

What an awesome day to ride. Millcreek was excellent. Lower Ewok was fine. Was asking myself why can't every winter day be like this when I snapped this pic and that's when I jinxed it cause it started to sleet heavily and I was soaked. I was rushing making my way through upper Ewok was rather difficult as parts were icy and hike a bike on steeps was rather challenging. I ended up losing footing on icy climb that I didn't make and slid down freakishly kinda throwing my back when attempting to catch myself. I should of just crossed Dawson and rode the north river bank MUT home. Oh well luckily I'm ok. Happy New Years!!

mtbr member
    I got out of gnome's just before it started to sleet, after riding Grout to Rowland and back. The trails were amazing, and I was kicking myself for not riding more lately.

Oh well, the snow has finally come, Ski time again!

mtbr member
    Got out with some locals yesterday. First RSD ride for one of them as Hardcore just got their shipment from the supplier this week.

Again, did all trails on North and South side from mill creek to the gold bar ski shack. Trails were getting too soft near the end of the ride, but were great for most of the ride. Softer snow makes for great traction on hill climbs!

One thing we noticed is lots of fat tire ruts. These ruts are all on switchbacks and downhill sections. My guess is that it's riders skidding and digging grooves in the trails. Unfortunately, this makes some spots a bit picarious. Snow skidding is just as bad as summer skidding from a trail erosion perspective. Once you're in a rut, just have to ride it out!

There were many more icy sections than earlier in the week due to the warm weather, but with this snow, some of the ruts should fix up and some of the ice sections will get covered. Next week should be fun!

mtbr member
    Random shots from past week

mtbr member
    ^ I hear you on the ruts, but I don't think you can really expect much. Winter riding is going to mean everybody has random washouts and rearwheel spinouts and lockups. Luckily things either melt, get polished out, or get snowed on.

I was out this morning, and being first on a trail is excellent. But in a few spots I was the second person, following in the tracks of a fatbike. And the worst thing about that is anywhere they've washed out you're guaranteed to washout too. But what are you going to do?

mtbr member
    Does anyone know of any people who post videos on youtube of some of the trails in Edmonton/area?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Zednix View Post
    Does anyone know of any people who post videos on youtube of some of the trails in Edmonton/area?
    That's what the search bar is for on YouTube.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by funnyjr View Post
    That's what the search bar is for on YouTube.
    Thanks for the helpful reply and not contributing anything useful. Gold star you moron.

I haven't had a mountain bike for the last decade and I moved to Edmonton in that same time frame so I was figuring people might know of some videos of the local trails.

mtbr member
    Check trail forks. There's a local guy who's posted some videos there.

mtbr member
    Check trail forks. There's a local guy who's posted some videos there.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I came across this today. I thought it was cool.

Strava Global Heatmap

mtbr member
    Quick ride last night after work. Trails were surprisingly good given the too warm weather we've had recently. Most of the trails were a bit crunchy as the top layer was starting to freeze up, but underneath that, some soft snow was to be found. Mill Creek, Bird Trail, lower Ewok were all good. A-Bomb and Caddy shack were good to, but a bit softer given less traffic on those trails. Still all good to ride, though. The Mill Creek will flood as some of the trails are super close to the rising creek level right now and will only get worse as the warm weather continues.

Hard to take night shots on a phone without a tripod, but here's a couple that turned out not too bad.

Lower Ewok has a new flood zone:

Just before the frog pond in Mill Creek:

Mill Creek trail shot:

mtbr member
    ^ Are those the spikey dillingers? Have you always had them?

I can't remember who else around here also commutes near downtown through the winter? But on fridays a handful of cyclists have started meeting for coffee at the gazebo in Ezio Farone park. It's #coffeeoutside for the twitterers, and usually goes from 7:15~8ish.

mtbr member
    I had Husker Dus on last year and early this year. I got fed up with the icy sections, so I put a Dillinger 5 studded up front and a Van Helga (non-studded) out back simply because there were no other studded Dillingers at the shop. I'll likely pick up a Dillinger 4 studded tire for next winter and sell the Van Helga. I'll use the Husker Dus for the summer time.

mtbr member
    ^ I've been studless for about 3 weeks now waiting for my warranty replacement to arrive, and have been lucky because conditions have been excellent. But I think this coming week could get pretty slippery.

mtbr member

What did you need warranty for if your don't mind me asking ? Did the tires explode?

mtbr member
    ^ it's pretty bizarre.

Last february the sidewall spontaneously split in about 8 different spots:
    (this isn't a great picture, but this is the tube poking right through the casing)

So last march schwalbe sent me a replacement - whoo.

I put that brandnew tire on in november, and around Christmas this happened:

So schwalbe is sending me another 'nother tire.

Schwalbe has been great - you just fill out a form, and submit some pictures, and the next day they ship out a replacement.

And I've still got one "original" tire that's on it's fourth winter and it doesn't look like it's going to randomly fail. But I hate having to be paranoid.

(this time I'd actually thought about switching things up and trying a 45nrth Nicotine, but couldn't find anyone local who stocks them. Shops have dillingers and xerxes, but for 29ers it's all schwalbes)

But anyway, if I need studs this week I've got my fixie

mtbr member
    Did anyone ride the fatbike race on the weekend? I just noticed that the course included the Oleskiw singletrack, and I was wondering if they'd cleared some of those chest-high fallen trees out of there?

mtbr member
    I didn't do the race. From the results page, there was a fair number that showed up.

Last night's group ride was pretty good, but about 25% of the trails are becoming non-rideable due to the slush, ruts, and havoc that this warm weather is causing. Skyline Trail is pretty icy, as is dirty mattress. Mill Creek is still in really good shape, though.

mtbr member
    ^ redbike linked to a video, and it looks pretty busy.

I will not ride skyline in winter. I probably should give it a try sometime...but no.

mtbr member
    Skyline wasn't my choice, but the group was onto the trail before you knew it. Definitely won't be doing it again!

mtbr member

Ya skyline was rather tricky with the icy conditions, luckily we were going in the direction we did otherwise might have been more treacherous. I quite enjoyed MC yesterday.

mtbr member

The nice thing about a big fatbike race, is that now I know where all the ice is.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I was in the fatty race on Sunday. It was a ton of fun (even though I missed the mass start!!!!). The trails were all in excellent condition except the Oleskiw forest - that was a mess. The trail doesnt get a lot of love in the winter so it was barely ridden down. After the leaders went through it was pretty much destroyed in sections leaving a lot of pushing. It was really thin with deep enough snow on the sides so suck your bike in. I'll admit it was very hard to stick to the single tire width of good line in a bunch of places. There was zero maintenance done to all the downed trees or the ones that you had to duck under. The field section before the double track was mainly a walk for most. Hopefully it will get walked down a bit before the next race, maybe Patricia Ravine single track would be an alternate but I don't think the MUT in there would be safe unless closed to the public and the single track would be pretty killer for the average rider. The public I encountered were great aside from one asshat and his dog.

mtbr member
    Rode Mill Creek last night to test out a new studded Dillinger for my rear tire. Trails are in bad shape. Snow is now slush, tires sink into the trails, and traction for climbing is getting pretty bad. The creek is all open and the water is flowing pretty fast. The second set of single track just south of the lower pool parking lot is now submerged under the creek near the south end just before you pop back onto the MUT by the bridge.

Saw a guy on a cross bike last night as I made way back home on the single track. Unfortunately, I also saw his deep grooved tire trail all the way back through the various single track. I guess that's one thing about a fat tire is even though there's compression from sinking in the snow, the groove left behind isn't "sharp" like a thinner tire.

On a side note, the new studded rear tire works great! Van Helga gets a noticeable nod in the overall hill climb traction department, but the Dillinger feels better on everything else.

mtbr member
    I was out this morning and it was cold enough that things were still nice and solid.

I was surprised that the singletrack was pretty much ice-free. I did Millcreek to Mckinnon (I skipped skyline) and it was all good, except for Dirty Mattress which changed from unpacked/rutted/ice/slush every few feet. And the Government House park MUP should not be hit at high speed.

I saw the track from that crossbike (and was impressed), but it's easier to deal with than the fatbike ruts in millcreek. You can ride back and forth over the rut from a crossbike, but once there's one fatbike rut it takes up the whole trail and there's no space left to choose an alternate line. But they'll all be gone by tomorrow anyway.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    I saw the track from that crossbike (and was impressed), but it's easier to deal with than the fatbike ruts in millcreek. You can ride back and forth over the rut from a crossbike, but once there's one fatbike rut it takes up the whole trail and there's no space left to choose an alternate line. But they'll all be gone by tomorrow anyway.
    That's a good point. Never had an issue with the cyclecross rut on the way back home, but some of the fat bike ruts on the way out make for an adventure. The most noticeable one is the small climb opposite the house down by the creek. There's a root there (that was cut out over the summer) and I swear, most riders must skid when going down that to get the groove that has been worn in. I think that's the worst one that I can think of because once your front tire is in that rut, it's not coming out.

mtbr member
    Always nice to bump into forum-folk on the trails. Definitely a great day to be out, even if it was pretty crumby day for the trails.

mtbr member
    Journal article on the fatbike race:
    (it's behind the journal paywall)

Edmonton’s fat-bike riders now have monthly race to strut their stuff

I was out there a bit yesterday, and the new(?) dowhnill at the end of the course that goes down the toboggan hill towards the trailhead building was solid ice. And the police apparently have 2 fatbikes now?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I'm actually pretty impressed with that article. Its good. The video that was put together was also spot on.

mtbr member
    Got out last night. Trails are in way better shape than last weekend with the cold weather solidifying everything up. A Bomb, Risky Business, lower Ewok, and Mill Creek were all ridden. Some pretty decent frozen fat bike tire tracks on lower Ewok makes for some interesting riding, but other than that, everything was pretty good. Studs on the tires were put to good use as there's still a bunch of icy spots all over, but at least in the snow areas, there's now a hard crusty snow layer instead of that soft mushy crap snow.

mtbr member

And the forecast says another few more cm of snow so happy trails (hopefully - I have no studs).

mtbr member
    If we get the snow that we should, I'll be swapping out my back tire from a Dillinger 4 studded to a Van Helga tomorrow. The Van Helgas have great bite and traction in the snow, but nothing for ice. The Dillinger's are great for ice, but not nearly as good as the Van Helgas otherwise.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Friends video from a ride a few weekends ago

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Awesome video! I will have to get some studded tires and try some winter riding next year!

I have a new bike (Giant Anthem 27.5 1) that I'm stoked to ride so I'm thinking ahead to spring already...

I love the trails in the Edmonton river valley but I mostly avoid these after almost killing a loose dog and then being yelled at by the owner. I go to the Cooking Lake Blackfoot area a lot but the grass there gets a little high in mid summer.

I'm sure this has been asked/discussed here before but does anyone know of any awesome trails that are outside of the city?

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Studded tires or better yet fatbike (with or without studs)

Not sure how far out of town you're looking for. Chickakoo park north of stony plain is a good option if you like cooking lake.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by feepa View Post
    Studded tires or better yet fatbike (with or without studs)

Not sure how far out of town you're looking for. Chickakoo park north of stony plain is a good option if you like cooking lake.
    Thanks I will check it out!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    So I am interested in getting out to do some trail maintenance. However I haven't been riding very much this winter. Does anyone have any problem areas that they can point me in the direction of? (ie overgrown, iceflows etc.)

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I do not have studs on my fatty. The only ice I've had to dismount on at any point during the winter has been on the river level Ewok Trail. Other spots with consistent flow ice have never caused me a problem (bottom of Patricia Ravine, known section of Keilor trail). There was one nasty section on the east end of Risky Business but I have not been on there since December - prolly a cause of the pre-xmas ice-up. I have avoided the switchback section in McKinnon Ravine since I assume it's brutal.

Head removing trees: Traveling east on the single track starting right at the Low Level there's one that needs ducking. Oleskiw forest is way worse than it was in the summer with multiple ducks and one dismount crawl over. It's also the most overgrown trail I can think of. I will be going in there and doing some cut backs next week cuz it's getting annoying and it's a local trail for me. I became hesitant to do any major work in there due to the future MUT and my pure laziness to travel there with a chainsaw. I swear there was a duck at the east side of The Trap or Hulk Bogan... memory is not the best on that one. There was a duck on the Emily Murphy single track but that is a frustrating trail for me to ride so I'm kinda avoiding it since xmas.

rides with camera
    Quote Originally Posted by Pboytang View Post
    I love the trails in the Edmonton river valley but I mostly avoid these after almost killing a loose dog and then being yelled at by the owner. I go to the Cooking Lake Blackfoot area a lot but the grass there gets a little high in mid summer.
    Stay away from Terwillegar. I'm assuming that is where you got yelled at. Pending on what time of day you were there it can be full of river valley newbs who don't get how things work. That being said. Respect the dog walkers and slow down when you come up to them. Let them know well in advance of your presence by a bell. I have issues with incompetent dog walkers but know there just as many cyclists that are just as clueless (I am not saying you are one of them, but yet I don't know you) When riding in Terwillegar on a busy Saturday/ Sunday afternoon stay up in the hills. The majority flock on the outer loop down below.

There are countless miles of incredible trails in the Edmonton river valley not in dog parks. Join a group ride and you will be exposed to what nobody knows about regarding mountain biking in Edmonton. It is quite awesome! Summer and Winter. If not into the group ride thing, hit me up with a pm and I can show you some trails.
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Don't stay away from Terwillegar, Terwillegar is not just for dogs, and there's plenty for everyone to share.
    Dogs and Dog owners need to be mindful of others, just as we bikers have to be mindful of them.
    Best way to avoid dogs in Terwillegar is to stick to the single track. Keep off of the loop double track and you'll rarely see a dog or their owners.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sherijumper View Post
    Stay away from Terwillegar. I'm assuming that is where you got yelled at.
    Actually I've never been to Terwillegar on my bike (plenty of times with my dog tho). I have been meaning to go there and try it on my bike but I avoid the off leash parks while biking. I was referring to off leash dogs in leash only areas. Many times the off leash dogs are under complete control but sometimes... Blah blah I'm not trying to rehash a very old issue just looking for some nice trails outside the city!

There are countless miles of incredible trails in the Edmonton river valley not in dog parks. Join a group ride and you will be exposed to what nobody knows about regarding mountain biking in Edmonton. It is quite awesome! Summer and Winter. If not into the group ride thing, hit me up with a pm and I can show you some trails.
    Thanks I may take you up on that!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pboytang View Post
    Thanks I may take you up on that!
    You should puruse sherijumpers blog (link in his signature) . He has quite a few rides posted (summer, fall, winter, spring). I'll give you a feel for just how much riding there is to do on Edmonton.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    As far as official off leash areas go I find that Buena Vista is by far the worst.
    Is it just me or is the off leash in leashed areas problem magnified in the winter?

Also - Everything west of Groat Road update. All single tracks are gold except for the second half of roots (rideable) and the main south bank Patricia Ravine single track (lacking foot traffic but would be passable).

*Edit: I've not bothered to travel to the single track on the west bank south of the Henday out west - has anyone been there this winter?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I was there once (beyond the henday) recently. The trails are very soft, often run by snowmobiles, but not by anything else. (I assume this is the trail you are referring to - the one that heads in to the golf course?)

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    ^nope. other side of the river. I should go and check out the one you are talking about since I only hit it up once ever. Seems that peeps on here use trailforks as reference: Breathless Mountain Bike Trail, AB | Trailforks

I surprisingly broke trail twice in the Ewok forest last night.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I barely ride breathless in the summer as its usually pretty grown in and doesn't really go anywhere... I don't know if anyone would ride it in the winter? It's a pretty sketchy trail in the summer... not sure how comfortable I would to ride that - especially the one section that your just barely hanging on to the side of the trail, and any bit of oopsy and your 50 ft down into the river.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    yea! That would be really sketchy. I put in a lot of work cleaning that trail in 2013 - from the Henday to a point beyond the open bank to a spot that had a massive tree down (a couple of minute walk from the field access) and even hauled in a chainsaw once. Was quite clean to that point but I did not ride it last year at all. I envisioned that thing gaining me access to Big Island.

Has anyone every ventured down and south from the field access about a km in?

mtbr member
    The trail was stopped being used as it crosses private property. The farm owner was pretty adamant that he didn't want anybody trespassing across his land.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fejjo View Post
    ... Seems that peeps on here use trailforks as reference: Breathless Mountain Bike Trail, AB | Trailforks
    Mitch took it upon himself to populate Trailforks last summer/autumn using GPS routes recorded by some local club members. Prior to this, the local trails were just "known" by the local groups and frequent riders (Hardcore, Redbike, Lonebiker, etc). Trailforks is a pretty recent thing and with Mitch populating most of the trail names, it's now a great reference for trail names and locations for those riders who aren't familiar with them.

mtbr member
    Trails this weekend were in great shape....if you have studs. Super icy in sections, all the paved was pure ice, and a good half of the single track is icy. With the weather cooling down, most of the trails were nice and firm, just icy. Better than soft and slushy!

Keilor Road lower trail is in great shape. Only a few icy sections here and there.

There's a new go around to avoid the major trail slump along the river, just after the Hawerlak bridge riding west. The slump is usually ridable, but at the bottom there's a good ice build up so it's pretty difficult to keep your speed up to coast up the other side of the slump. The go around is pretty beat down and is a good alternative.

Mill Creek was all good, as was Old Timer's and Kinsmen trails. Root Canal is all good, with icy sections, and Backbreaker is ass puckering with lots of ice sections.

Lower Keillor Road shots:

mtbr member
    Definitely great conditions on the weekend, although this week should be interesting.

Anyone do the Devon race?

mtbr member
    Last night's group ride was a pucker fest for most. Trails are fairly packed down, but icy. Lots of exposed ice sections in the trees with Monday's melt. Happy Ending, Risky Business, Bird Trail, mid Ewok, and north trails above Dawson park will all ridden and all were icy with some soft spots here and there.

There's a go around to bypass the huge slump on the MUT in mid Ewok that is flagged with two orange streamers. The trail was built late last autumn, and has enough traffic now to make it a viable and ride able detour.

mtbr member
    ^ is there anyway around the huge slump that's on upper ewok? I butt-slid down it once earlier this winter and haven't gone back.

I'd noticed the bypass on mid ewok, but that slump is usually at least hikeable (unlike the upper one).

mtbr member
    Mid Ewok. The slump is rideable, but the go around is much nicer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Lower ewok (along the river) was a icy mess last night - I'll be skipping that one for a while as the northern most spring has taken over. Upper Ewok was good. The north side of The Trap also had a good chunk of ice near the exit but the rest was gold. Andres was spectacular as was Risky Business.

Big thanks to whoever went in and cut off that nasty tree on the single track east of the low level bridge!!!

mtbr member
    Anyone ride any singletrack on friday night?

I did keillor, and it was beautiful on thursday night but easily 50% ice by friday. It gets some sun so it's probably worse than many trails, but it was definitely close to being more trouble that it's worth.

Just wondering what'll actually be worth riding this weekend?

mtbr member
    Hardcore hell ride is on Sunday. Not sure how well it will go due to the weather. I was out Thursday and the trails were great. I'll do a post ride report tomorrow. I'm not riding today.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Rode for a few hours on Thursday afternoon. Most trails were in good condition, some slushy bits (rode Hawrelak/Laurier/Patricia Ravine/ and back to Hawrelak via Fox Drive trails and lower hawrelak trails.

Rode again last night from Goldbar to near downtown and damn near killed myself many times. Very treacherous once it starts to freeze after 8pm. Caddy track and happy endings were decent shape but everything else was dangerous.

mtbr member
    Yeah, that's what I figured. The change from thursday to friday was huge, so I guess it'll be a fixie weekend.

mtbr member

Thanks for the trail updates everyone ... Looks like this thaw and refreeze cycle l is going to make things dangerously icy .. Kinda doubtful about Sunday ride now

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    riding in the day time will be fine if its warm. The ice will be slushy and rideable.

Also - if you have studded tires, you're much better off when it freezes off at night. This is the first time I've really wanted studded tires.

At the current rate, a lot of the snow is going to be disappearing and the thaw will be on and the ground will be really soft. Please stay off the singletrack when it gets to this state.

mtbr member
    So I did hit the trails today, and it was pretty good. I figured the mups would be terrible and that an icerink tour on the fixie wouldn't be much fun.

So I did UofA>Old Timers>millcreek and back, and things were soft but good. The trails were still maybe 95% snow with only a couple of ice spots here and there. Dirty Mattress was really icy and might be dicey without studs, but it's lumpy/grippy ice and isn't nearly as bad as keillor. I didn't do Gnome's or Skyline. The mups are terrible.

I went pretty late, just getting back around 6. So I wouldn't expect much change overnight and things should still be good on sunday. Get your snow rides in while you still can.

mtbr member
    Has anyone tried riding with these things:

On a whim I took my non-studded singlespeed today. But I knew that might be a bad idea, so I also brought my shoe spikes along.

After a minor-but-completely-out-of-control fall on Risky Business I put the spikes on for the rest on the ride, and they worked pretty well. I guess they'd interfere with clipless, but I run platforms and I didn't really notice them. And it was nice to be able to securely put a foot down when I needed to.

Dawson was pretty good. Risky Business and Andre's were pretty icy. I think hiking from Andre's up to Happy Ending would have been impossible without the shoe spikes.

mtbr member

Wish I had some spikes on my shoes today - my pair of shimano shoes offered absolutely zero grip on ice and I honestly don't know how I managed to hike a bike up some icy steeps.

Had a good time out with the hardcore ride today w/ the exception of the pure ice sections that you either rolled and brave the risk of falling or walk and fall anyways. Ride consisted of old timers> river queen> lower Ewok> Dawson on North side of river > Kinnaird ravine > Andre's> caddy> Rowland > mid Ewok > holy trail > mill creek .. I went home after this.

Weather keeps up like this and no more riding until it's time to pull out the skinny bikes again- can't wait.
    Last edited by funnyjr; 03-08-2015 at 05:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Yup, the group ride today was pretty difficult with glare ice in many spots. I screwed in sheet metal screws in my shoes a month ago and that has helped my footing quite a bit when hike a bike is required.

I'm off the bike until the ice goes away.

mtbr member
    The final redbike fatbike race next weekend should be interesting. Probably more muck than snow?

mtbr member
    That race is going to be interesting, to say the least. It's going to be super muddy, I think.

mtbr member
    I'm off the bike until the ice goes away.
    It's that goofy season where road riding seems like a fun idea! Most of Sundays group had cross semi slicks on, which was unnecessary. The roads out of Ardrrossan are in good shape. A few patches of ice in the shade, but those won't last long.

mtbr member
    Oops, I should have clarified. I'm off the fat bike until the trails clear up. I'll likely be out at Ardrossan next Sunday.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Rode yesterday afternoon in a shirt: Oleskiw forest single track was not quite slushy yet and rode great. The double track is total shit. Riverside trail around ft. Ed park is quite good. In the trees to the south of the fox drive toboggan hill is unridable. Whitemud to Hawrelack single track has lots of long and off camber ice with slush and the beginnings of mud. Single track between buena vista and the ice climb to street level was really good. Rode half of Riverside Traverse cuz i knew the north half would be a complete disaster.

Saturday will be a fatbike cross race...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I know this map goes back to the beginning of the year but the last time I looked the new MUT in Oleskiw looked like it was heading into the trees. Not the case any more. I assume the reclaimed farm land will be designated 'on-leash' only?

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...Trail_Plan.pdf

mtbr member
    ^ that's excellent news. Turning the riverside singletrack into mup was a dumb idea, and I guess the city probably heard that comment a lot.

mtbr member
    I will try the mountain bike today, around the better areas Fejjo mentioned.
    TCX advanced SX

mtbr member

Shot of Victoria secret trail today.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Is there any trails that are safely rideable? West of the Fox drive equine switchbacks is pure ice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fejjo View Post
    Is there any trails that are safely rideable? West of the Fox drive equine switchbacks is pure ice.
    It's going to be a while. The snow and ice might melt, but then you're faced with mud everywhere and best not to ruin the trails by putting ruts in the mud. I'm guessing another two weeks to go at least before the north side melts enough and the ground thaws to start absorbing the water. Forecast is for snow this Friday, so I'm guessing mid-April before we see lasting improvements.

mtbr member
    These are kindof depressing:

http://forums.mtbr.com/western-canad...-906700-2.html
    http://forums.mtbr.com/western-canad...-a-847210.html
    http://forums.mtbr.com/western-canad...-a-773962.html

Typically we're all complaining about snowy and mucky trails through the end of April? Yikes. But looking through some of the photos in those threads, we really do seem to be way ahead this year. And the forecast for this weekend has changed, and now it's just supposed to be cloudy instead of snow.

I converted my 29er back to ss last weekend, and went out for the inaugural "summer" ride. I kept the studs on, but there were still some spots on dirty mattress where I wasn't sure that I'd be able to make it out, and was worried I might have to camp out for a few weeks until the ice melted.
    Last edited by newfangled; 03-17-2015 at 09:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Good to hear the change in the forecast.

This is the worst time of year. The weather is great, then bam, snow or rain and the trails are crap. At least with autumn, we're usually just contending with frozen dirt, frozen mud, or a light snow dusting.

mtbr member
    We did a MUP / gravel tour yesterday, and there was still a fair amount of ice on the north side. We're still a way out from good double track conditions on the south side, let alone single track.

mtbr member
    Went for a ride at lunch. Pushed my bike the first 20' and still locked the rear wheel up with mud. Everything else was ice. Totally not worth it.

mtbr member
    Now that's more like it. Much as I can't wait to get some actual dirt under my wheels, this is so much better than what we've had for the last two weeks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Patricia Ravine = awesomeness

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    wow.. as said above the trails are back to winter awesomeness but doubt it last very long.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Today was awesome. Turned around right before the switchback on Cambodia while breaking trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    New enough here to ask - we ready for the Spring / Summer thread?

mtbr member
    ^ spotted some ice-free sections of the river today, so I'd say we're close enough

I actually had a reasonably nice trail ride early Friday morning before everything started melting. But today was the fixie, and that's what I'll probably be using all week.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    When will Devon bike Park be ridable? I assume the dh section would be sloppy but what about the skills section?