Edmonton Canada Cup Course- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Edmonton Canada Cup Course

I'm planning to attend the Edmonton Canada Cup.

Just looking for advice on what to ride:
    Carbon hardtail or full squish xc?
    What's the idea tire for the trails?
    How much climbing is there? Are the climbs long or short and punchy? Any long downhills?(Can I get away with 1x9?)
    What time do average Elite/Experts ride this course in?

Any advice would be great, Thanks!

I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005
    The hardtail vs squish is definitely personal. It's not the roughest course, but I still would never go back to a hardtail on any mountain bike course.
    I run Racing Ralphs 2.1, and quite a few riding buddies do too, and have no complaints there. Another popular tire is the Nevegal, but it is a little aggressive for the terrain style IMO. Any tread similar in aggressiveness to the Racing Ralph will do good, it's not terrain that demands an aggressive tire.
    The climbs are relatively short and punchy, and no crazy extended downhills. No recovery sections on the course.. haha.
    I'm racing Expert this year (don't really think I should, but no complaints here I guess) but I can't recall my finish time in the sport category last year, or the other competitors at other levels. I do know that most races keep the Elites below 2 hours for finishing times..
    I'm sure if you do some digging (www.albertabicycle.ab.ca) you can find results from last years race.
    Hope that helps.
    www.bikeride.ca
    Alberta born-n-raised mountain bike racer.

mtbr member
    Looking at the terrain, there are a LOT of roots but no rocks. There will only be 1 muddy section (1/2 way up one of the steeper climbs) about 10 feet long, unless we get a bunch of rain between now and race day, then there will be more. There might be some sand, as there was last year, on a couple of the really short power ups, but it wasn't there as of last night.

I ride a hardtail everywhere so like oilersfan said above, it comes down to personal preference. There are a few areas full suss would be nice, but nothing that can't be ridden fast on a HT.

As for tires, I am running Kenda Karmas and they are working great on the course.

Downhills are similar to the uphills - short. One downhill will bounce you around a bit on a hardtail, everything else you should be able to remain relatively smooth.

As for 1x9, I just did 1 lap of the entire course in big ring, but it was tough in a couple sections and I don't think I could do the entire race like that. Perhaps a 36 or 38 would work well, depending on if you climb out of the saddle.

As for time, I think a 21 minute lap won elite last year.
    If you want all the comforts of home, stay there.

Rides, Reviews, Races and Random Thoughts

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks for the advice, Sounds like i should be able to get away with a carbon hardtail and 1x9. I won't be pushing a 36 or 38t, I'm more of a 33 or 34t kind of guy

mtbr member
    33 or 34 will be too small - there are quite a few long flat stretches that you will run out of gears on. There isn't a steep climb that lasts longer than 30 seconds and as I said above, I was able to get around the entire course with a 44t. If you are running a 33 or 34 you probably won't even get into your 34 on your rear cassette.
    If you want all the comforts of home, stay there.

Rides, Reviews, Races and Random Thoughts

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks gord962, I rode the course today with a 36T. It seems like a good gear. I was kind of amazed by the lack of climbing. The course is great; fast flowy and rooty...hopefully it dries a little more for tomorrow.

Members who have read this thread: 0