Edmonton Autumn/Winter 2016- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Edmonton Autumn/Winter 2016

Since it's officially autumn, we should put to rest the spring/summer thread.

Rode Mill Creek to Mustang, and then to the Science Park, and then back to Mill Creek. Six hour ride and just shy of 87km. Great trail conditions! You can easily do 100km+ in our river valley on the trails!

Big photo dump to get things started on the right foot!

mtbr member
    That's a pretty monster ride, although conditions were great for it. Where's the moose scratching post?

So I've got a question - anyone have a cross bike that they take on the local singletrack? I don't have space for another bike, but I was thinking about building up a skinny wheelset for next year to mix things up a bit. I'm just not sure what would be a good 32~35mm tire, or how banged up the rims would get?

mtbr member

I had a SS specialized cross bike that I commuted w few yrs back. I took it in single track few times after work (kinsmen, Millcreek, ewok) and it was a blast to ride for first 15 min or so before I got so beat up it was no longer fun. Mind you some ppl like that sorta thing but not me.

BTW Nice pics jkirkpatri and nice budget cranks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by funnyjr View Post
    it was a blast to ride for first 15 min or so before I got so beat up it was no longer fun. Mind you some ppl like that sorta thing but not me.
    I'm all about rigids anyway, so it is sortof my thing...except normally with big tires. With skinny tires I am worried that I'd trash the rims pretty quick. But it still sounds kind of fun.

mtbr member
    Moose scratching post is in the middle of Gold Bar Park.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I rode my cx late spring thru early summer on everything from Mustang to the Science Park except Gold digger since it didn't really exist. Tossed in things like Wally and Bobsled as well. The only trail that sucked was the upper west end of the trail in MacKinnon. Slayed it all while going clipless. I had the stock 700x33 Tracer's on my Crux.

mtbr member
    So long as it's not too rooty CX bikes on single track can be fun. How bad you beat up the rims depend on how heavy you are and how hard you ride them.

Mine usually need a bit of attention if I'm riding single track, but they're still getting the job done. But I don't usually ride it very aggressively on single track.

As always, you probably want the widest rims that will fit, along with the widest tires that'll fit the frame.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input folks.

I'm actually thinking of doing this to my old 26er which should fit up to about 35x700c. Nothing super serious, but just a backup wheelset I could also swap over the 29er if I wanted. At the beginning of this year I was super-excited about + sized tires, but after putting a dirtwizard on the front of my 26er it's almost too easy, so now I'm thinking about going the other way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    What tires are you guys using or recommend for the Edmonton trails? My stockers are getting warn out on my 2010 kona hei hei. Figured I'd ask here since most of you put a lot more km's per season than me.

Thanks

Edit

Its for a 26er if that matters.

mtbr member
    Even though I was just asking about skinny tires, normally I like 2.4 ardents. Lots of volume, but really fast rolling. Not great in the wet, but I don't know that anything is particularly good when things get greasy (this year I also ran one really chunky tire, and it wasn't much better)

mtbr member
    Rocket Ron up front and Racing Ralph in the back has been the go to setup for years in Edmonton. They don't mount tubeless as well as other brands on the Hardcore carbon rims though, so I've moved to Bontrager X2's, which are a little heavier, but a little tougher, and don't get beaten up as badly if you take them through sharp rocks in the mountains. And you can mount them tubeless with a hand pump!

As far as skinny tires, Bontrager's CX0's are pretty good multiuse / trail riding tires. Nice and wide, lots of traction in the dry. Not great for cross in the wet or grass though. Clement PDX for real CX conditions.

mtbr member
    I haven't posted here in a long while. But yes, i ride my cross bike on singletrack all the time. Not all trails (never taken it on root trail or bobsled), and not for a whole ride like a dedicated MTB ride, but I frequently do 20-40km rides on mostly gravel and grass with my cx bike and i almost always hit 3-4 trails. I frequently ride the ones around old timers cabin, end of the world, and mill creek with my cross bike. Good times.

Been having lots of problems with the drivetrain of my element so i've been riding my cross bike exclusively until i can afford the time and money to rebuild the drivetrain.

mtbr member
    I rode for years on kenda karma front and 1.95 nevegal rear (don't think they have that). I have been using the Maxxis ikon 2.2 for quite a while and I really like that tire as well.

Also quite fond of continental race king 2.2. not great for cornering and terrible in wet but I still like it.

I like clement mxp for cross, but my cx bike came stock with Kenda Small Block 8, which i thought were crappy and that i'd replace right away, but if it isn't wet, they are fast rolling, and long lasting. Just good value for a cx tire that rolls quick on pavement and grass, and is adequate in dirt and gravel (mud is a nightmare though). So if you are like me and like longer rides with a bit of everything (gravel, road, grass, dirt, bit of singletrack for fun) sb8 is good value.

mtbr member
    Weather's going in the toilet this weekend, gotta to get out while the riding is good!

mtbr member
    Was riding through mill creek 2 nights ago and a Rottweiler chased me and nipped at my leg. I swerved and crashed with my right knee went right into a stump. I think i'm ok, just super scabby and bruised but no riding for me this week. I hope it gets nice (or niceish) again.

mtbr member
    ^ Hope it's nothing serious.

Did you try reporting it? Unfortunately the city will probably tell you to get lost, which is a serious problem. But I still think everyone should try to report that type of stuff anyway.

mtbr member
    Started the long process of studding my Van Helgas for the winter. The studs are 3/8" long, so I'll have to grind the points that come through the tire carcass on the inside and silicone them as well. Might have to try tubeless this winter.

mtbr member
    No i didn't. I don't think it would help. I was worried i broke something in my knee. But now 3 days later i can bend my knee and i think it's just scrapes and bruises. It was a boring looking crash. I just feel over on my right. was unlucky there a tree stump just there that went right into the outside of my knee. had i crashed 2 inches further back or forward i would have been fine.

One thing I appreciate about the cycling community. the dog's owner walked off and 3 other "walkers" went by as i was laying there bleeding, and 3 different cyclists stopped to ask if i was ok and if i was able to get home.

mtbr member
    Well, I just got back from an offleash ride with my dog, so I am a huge fan of the offleash areas.

But I don't think the city's negligence is doing anyone any favors.

Terrible signage, zero enforcement, no way to report anything, zero fenced dog parks, basically only one bikeless park so there's no separation of uses...

The city has made things adversarial because no one thinks anyone else is actually allowed to be anywhere, so everybody blames everybody else for everything.

mtbr member
    Trails are in great shape, even Mill Creek is good and free of mud.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    That cyclists are not allowed in Whitemud already presents a ridiculous barrier if you live in the southwest. There's a direct route to the river valley, but instead you have to dodge soccer moms on a maze of community roads. I remember reading an article in the paper where Linda Duncan even advocated for banning bikes from Mill Creek.

I find that the most hostile and oblivious dog owners I encounter are in Buena Vista park, north of the Hawrelak footbridge...which is not an offleash area! And we get *****ed at for riding singletrack along the east side of the park. But from my experience, the most potential for conflict was on the paved trail in Hermitage where it is too easy to get up to speed. I'll enjoy the new paved trail in Buena Vista making springtime and rainy rides more pleasant, but I don't really want to be going any faster by the stupidest dog owners in the city. Like who lobs a tennis ball in the general direction of a cyclist? Play with your dogs on the gigantic fields and the multiple gravel trails that are off limits to cyclists...

mtbr member
    May 2015
    was buena vista single track removed off of trail forks?

mtbr member
    It looks like they've been flagged as unsanctioned? What's changed?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RockiesRipper View Post
    I find that the most hostile and oblivious dog owners I encounter are in Buena Vista park, north of the Hawrelak footbridge...which is not an offleash area!
    Honestly, a little bit of ticketing would fix that right up.

Admittedly, both the north on-leash and south no-bike signage is terrible, so people can genuinely plead ignorance. But scare a couple of folks and the word-of-mouth would spread pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavtor View Post
    And honestly, good to see.

The maps all over the park say that bikes have to stick to the main doubletrack and aren't allowed on the singletrack south of the bridge

(although that's not actually confirmed on the city's website anywhere...but the whole Buena Vista webpage is complete mess...and Revolution leading group rides through there every week doesn't help things a single bit)

The city did put up a few new no-bike signs a couple of weeks ago to make things more clear, so maybe they're trying?

And just in the last couple of days they've actually been fencing off the main doubletrack, although I assume that's related to an event and isn't permanent.

mtbr member
    My last big ride I actually skipped all of Buena Vista and Laurier park and stayed on the streets to McKinnon. Just not worth the bike/dog walker encounters.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatri View Post
    Started the long process of studding my Van Helgas for the winter. The studs are 3/8" long, so I'll have to grind the points that come through the tire carcass on the inside and silicone them as well. Might have to try tubeless this winter.

Guess it depends how much is poking through.... You may have better success smacking the pointy little ends with a hammer!

mtbr member
    Re: Buena Vista
    I'd be cool w/ giving up birth canal and all singletrack to the east of multi use exchange for the trails on Bruce Almighty side for sure.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    what's the status of Riverside Traverse these days? Is it basically a long-term write-off at this point?

Riverside Traverse Mountain Bike Trail, AB | Trailforks

mtbr member
    That trail is really only "open" for a short while during the summer, depending on rain fall. I didn't ride it once this year, last year I rode it twice. I'd much rather take the other path and ride up to the street level and over to the 142 bridge to ride root canal and back breaker.

mtbr member
    Don't do it. It's always disappointing. I rode it once this year, and one section of the trail had turned into a stream (even though at that point we hadn't had any rain in months)

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    As much as I enjoy the challenge of riding (north) that trail it's always a mess. It's actually part of the draw to riding it for me. South is 1000% garbage. I always wondered why a handful of very well placed planks never made it in there. Maybe they did but ended up getting used as firewood by the inhabitants. The small handful that exist always seem to be sketchy with wet treads and poorly placed.

That trail is a lot of fun in the winter especially going north. Going south makes one figure out how to haul their bike up that nasty climb and then the possibility of attempting to not die up/along the stairwell.

mtbr member
    ^ it is one of the few trails where I've had multiple "how not to die" moments, especially in winter. Those iceflows can get pretty epic.

And I'm always surprised at how many runners use that trail. I always want to ask them if 1) they know what they're in for, or 2) they're just being stupid like me, or maybe 3) they know of a secret route that isn't terrible.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I didn't realize there's a long stretch of single track in the forest between fox drive and grandview heights --- it's not on trailforks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post

Terrible signage, zero enforcement, no way to report anything, zero fenced dog parks, basically only one bikeless park so there's no separation of uses...

The city has made things adversarial because no one thinks anyone else is actually allowed to be anywhere, so everybody blames everybody else for everything.
    Especially for those new to the city!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hey Fatbikers! Anyone interested in a possible fork trade? I have a Bluto used about 30 times and I want a Carbon rigid. I would service the fork first...Just throwing it out there.
    I'm in Jasper. Trails are great here right now!

Overlander just received a bunch of labour hours and has never been better. Brushed start to finish and a re-route in the middle to avoid that nasty steep walker...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yahsper View Post
    Hey Fatbikers! Anyone interested in a possible fork trade? I have a Bluto used about 30 times and I want a Carbon rigid. I would service the fork first...Just throwing it out there.
    I'm in Jasper. Trails are great here right now!

Overlander just received a bunch of labour hours and has never been better. Brushed start to finish and a re-route in the middle to avoid that nasty steep walker...
    Good to hear on Overlander. I was out there with some friends a month ago and we cleared the big fallen trees that were in the way at the spring run off rocky section. Might have to PM you on trail conditions closer to October 17th.

My fork is alloy, so I'm out. I'll ask around for you.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    What alloy fork? I might be talked down...
    Overlander is the best I have ever seen. Trails are great now. Havent had much wind so blowdown is minimal. Couple pesky Grizzly bears on trail 7 behind the golf course so thats closed...

mtbr member
    Pesky Grizzly bears are the worst.

I only ride my Farley in the winter, so I'm sticking with the rigid fork. If I rode summer with it, then I'd be looking for suspension.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob0213 View Post
    I didn't realize there's a long stretch of single track in the forest between fox drive and grandview heights --- it's not on trailforks.
    I see that now on Google maps. What's it like? I commute home that direction, but my bike is on the heavy side, so nothing too steep.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by PJungnitsch View Post
    I see that now on Google maps. What's it like? I commute home that direction, but my bike is on the heavy side, so nothing too steep.
    Technically the main gravel multi-use path through there is off access to bicycles.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    There is one trail through Beau Vista that is technically allowed to have bikes on it (the main multiuse gravel through the center of the park that runs north-south).

The rest of the park is a grey area thru to signed as no bikes allowed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Those studs look amazing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Got out a ride this morning. The leaves were wet and there were puddles here and there but the trails were in really good shape.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    When I was out a couple days ago there was some work going down on Risky Business. There are a few new berms, including one on the blown-out, flat corner about half-way in (riding east-to-west) and a jump. The dirt was still too soft when I tried the jump - it ate all my speed - but hopefully the rain from the last couple days will change that. At any rate, the new features should make that trail so much faster.

mtbr member
    Went for a lunch ride today (Tuesday) and sixshooter and keillor were surprisingly dry - just one or two mudholes, and one greasy climb. So I'd assume most stuff is in similar shape.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm really just posting to subscribe to the new thread, but I was out at west bragg creek this past long weekend. Rode the new trail Snakes n Ladders, also did Merlin View and Bragging Rights.
    If you haven't been out there, you should try someday. Awesome awesome trails out there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by feepa View Post
    I'm really just posting to subscribe to the new thread, but I was out at west bragg creek this past long weekend. Rode the new trail Snakes n Ladders, also did Merlin View and Bragging Rights.
    If you haven't been out there, you should try someday. Awesome awesome trails out there.
    West Bragg Creek is so fun. Lots of speed and flow.
    Riding out there kind of makes me appreciate some of the technical trails we have in Edmonton.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikermitch View Post
    West Bragg Creek is so fun. Lots of speed and flow.
    Riding out there kind of makes me appreciate some of the technical trails we have in Edmonton.
    Agreed.

One of the guys in our club (you'd recognize him, Mitch) used to live in Calgary and West Bragg was the go to place for his night group rides. He's mentioned a few times that our single track here is so much more technical in nature and has forced his low speed balancing skills to improve drastically. Bragg Creek flow is fun, but doesn't work the technical aspects like our trails!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Would you rather live somewhere where it's fast and flowy and go on out-of-town trips for more technical trails, or vice-versa, like in Edmonton? That's the question.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Would you rather live somewhere where it's fast and flowy and go on out-of-town trips for more technical trails, or vice-versa, like in Edmonton? That's the question.
    My preference is any where that has longer descents. The downhill in Edmonton is too short.

mtbr member
    Vice versa. You'd get your ass handed to you on every out of town trip!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    That's a really good point.

mtbr member
    Meaning you're closer to hospital in town ?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Agreed. Ass handed, or you have to get finicky about what out of town trails you want to do.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The perspective is interesting. Having moved from Halifax where I lived and rode for 13 years I consider the trails here all fast and flowy...not sure I got out of gears 1-3 on trails around Halifax on my Bullit/Nomad for all those years!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by canbmw View Post
    The perspective is interesting. Having moved from Halifax where I lived and rode for 13 years I consider the trails here all fast and flowy...not sure I got out of gears 1-3 on trails around Halifax on my Bullit/Nomad for all those years!
    No offence, but are your sure that you've ridden all the "techy" stuff in the river valley? Patricia Ravine/Wolf Willow has some fairly difficult sections, etc. Some of these trails might be difficult to find if you're just riding by yourself.

Having said that, we do have quite a bit of fast and flowy trails!

mtbr member
    Y'all just need less bike.

Edmonton's trails: made for rigid singlespeeds.
    (except for Patricia ravine, which really is impossible without gears)

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    No offence taken or intended. I have been riding the trails in Edmonton on MTB since the late 80's. Lots of variety for sure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Any one been to tewilliger in the last few days? That multi use trail that that took over roller coaster was suppose to been done for the end of September. Is it done? Any updates? Thinking of going there tomorrow afternoon.

mtbr member
    No terwillgar updates from me.

But for Buena Vista they're doing a bunch of trail upgrades.

The main road/doubletrack from the bridge through the park is currently closed in sections, and it's being upgraded (possibly to pavement? not sure). And most of the singletrack that was between that main path and the river (which was offlimits anyway) is being converted to doubletrack, in preparation for when the riverside paths eventually slump into the river.

mtbr member
    I think that they are putting in a paved path where the mulit trail path is right now. At least, for the amount of prep work going into it, I'd guess it has to be.

Saw more "recreational" riders this weekend than ever before. I think because the trails are easier to spot, and new connections (i.e. Gold Digger) are sprouting up is getting people curious about where these trails go.

Coming out of Cambodia on the weekend we saw department store bikes being pushed by middle aged folks. My guess is they found Gold Digger and kept going. Saw a few older men without helmets on department store bikes in Mill Creek on Sunday, pushing and some riding.

This is the best season to ride, but also the most congested. We've been very fortunate with the weather and not seeing any snow so far!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    We went out at 10 a.m. on Sunday morning, which was the perfect combo of good weather and trail quietness.

mtbr member
    My wife and I rode to terwilliger yesterday. No construction is not even close to done. It looks like it's just beginning actually. Most trails looked inaccessible, but i'm not sure. we didn't try singletrack. We were on on cross bikes.

it was a beautiful day (until my wife crashed so hard she broke her helmet and gave herself whiplash)

Edmonton Autumn/Winter 2016-img_20151018_142656.jpg

mtbr member
    I'm torn on the terwillegar construction. That rollercoaster trail is the first piece of singletrack I ever rode. I have a strong emotional attachment to that trail. It would be sad to lose.

However, it looks like they are building a path from the Fort Edmonton Pedestrian bridge, straight through that field to another pedestrian bridge right to terwillegar. It will make riding to terwillegar much quicker compared to climbing up that hill and riding through riverbend and then dropping back down the gravel path. That'll save so much time riding too terwillegar, as long as they save some singletrack to be worth riding

mtbr member
    The path connecting those two bridges will be supplemented by a dedicated single track trail. The first 25% of this trail is already done from the Fort Edmonton bridge. Come across the bridge and drop in immediately to the left and into the bushes. The trail takes you all the way to the Terwilliger bridge already, but the entire trail needs to be revitalized (other than the first 25% or so).

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Is the current single track in terwillegar worth making an outing for?

Thinking about doing terwillegar park/mustang/breathless soon.

mtbr member
    Is the current single track in terwillegar worth making an outing for?

Thinking about doing terwillegar park/mustang/breathless soon.
    It's more about the destination than the single track. Terwilliger single track is fun, but gets repetitious and a bit boring after you've done the park many times. With the new pathways being put in, the singletrack is interrupted a few times for the big trail that will be going in.

Mustang is neat, but again, it's not spectacular or anything. It's a fun ride, but I wouldn't rate it as being a top ten trail in Edmonton. The new golf course trail, "Go Trail" is pretty fun and is now well packed in, but it's got nothing on the original golf course trail, IMO.

However, the whole point me riding out to doing Terwilliger and Mustang from Mill Creek is the journey. It's a good 45-50km jaunt to get out there and back and the trip itself is worthwhile on a monthly basis. I think I've done this trip four or five times now this summer, and if I was around this weekend, I'd do it again.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Thanks for the info.

We'll be driving out and meeting there, so the journey aspect is moot, unfortunately.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The mulituse trail is still under construction, the new single track to replace the flow/golf course trail is fantastic! Still a bit soft in a few spots but very ridable and fun! It's more technical than the old flow, which is my thing so I love it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I was out there this afternoon. The top half where roller coaster use to be has the gravel laid down for about 80% of the path. But they are still using it as an access road for equipment and trucks. So the final grading and clean up needs to be done. Today heavy equipment were packing down the climb to the top from the parking lot. As well as work being done on the path in front of the parking lot. IMO its not going to be done until next spring. There is just to work much to do. I didn't wander over to see how the bridge was coming. But its still worth riding if you want to.

mtbr member
    Saw more "recreational" riders this weekend than ever before. I think because the trails are easier to spot, and new connections (i.e. Gold Digger) are sprouting up is getting people curious about where these trails go.
    I went for a run this weekend and was surprised how busy Master's T was. It's so easy to see now from the main trail that all kinds of riders were in there. Most of whom were pushing their bikes. We'll see how that goes.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I went for a run this weekend and was surprised how busy Master's T was. It's so easy to see now from the main trail that all kinds of riders were in there. Most of whom were pushing their bikes. We'll see how that goes.
    What's "Master's T"?

mtbr member
    I'm not going to advertise it's location until it's on Trailforks. It's a little dodgy. But 10 year olds were riding it, so go off and explore, it's not hard to find.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Are there many trails that are pending entry onto trailforks?

mtbr member
    Are there many trails that are pending entry onto trailforks?
    There are many trails that the city has to offer. Best way to find them is to join a club versus using an app.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm guessing that I was on this 'Masters T' trail this eve on my cx and IT WAS AWESOME. No, i did not travel from the bottom up

Flip side: not a fan of the minor mods/fixes or whatever on the west side of Andre's. Sure it was cx and 8pm but whatevs. Pretty sure all will be forgiven in time.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Went out Saturday morning to terwillegar. Trails were all dry, except lower Mustang was pretty greasy in some areas. Seems like it doesn't dry out much there this time of the season?
    Last edited by Rob0213; 10-26-2015 at 01:50 PM.

mtbr member

What an amazing weekend to ride indeed. Sunday started w a bit of frost on the ground and I only wore a icebreaker merino wool tshirt so I was quite cold but only took half way up six shooter for me to warm up. Such an amazing feeling to ride w sun on your back yet at the same time not be sweating buckets. Fall riding at its best.

mtbr member
    So speaking of mystery trails, does the newish one below the uofa have name? That's another no-singlespeed trail, although I have yet to try my geared bike on it so I don't know that I'd actually have more success.

mtbr member
    Trails a bit frosty yesterday afternoon. Trails were a mixture of frozen water, slushy water, frozen leaves, mushy leaves, and dry leaves.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    So speaking of mystery trails, does the newish one below the uofa have name? That's another no-singlespeed trail, although I have yet to try my geared bike on it so I don't know that I'd actually have more success.
    "Master's Degree" is the word in the bush, not Master's T as previously commented.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Fejjo View Post
    I'm guessing that I was on this 'Masters T' trail this eve on my cx and IT WAS AWESOME. No, i did not travel from the bottom up

Flip side: not a fan of the minor mods/fixes or whatever on the west side of Andre's. Sure it was cx and 8pm but whatevs. Pretty sure all will be forgiven in time.
    I haven't been out riding Andre's in a bit. What tweaks were made on the west end?

mtbr member
    I haven't been out riding Andre's in a bit. What tweaks were made on the west end?
    Dumbed down some sections. Nothing terrible, but trail modification to a lower denominator. Nothing crazy, either.

mtbr member
    Has anyone been on Victoria Secret recently? There's a little reroute that's totally bizarre. I really should have taken a picture, but it seems totally unnecessary, and someone left a tree in the middle of the new line. It just confuses me.

mtbr member
    Dumbed down some sections. Nothing terrible, but trail modification to a lower denominator. Nothing crazy, either.
    We might be talking about different stuff, but wasn't that alternate entrance/exit to Andre's added a long time ago - like, long before happy ending?

So I found a cheap rim/disk 29er wheelset and frakenbiked my old 26er into a fake cyclocross bike:

Super slimy this morning. Had serious trouble hiking up a couple of sections. In a couple of cases, even backed up and took a second run at it with the bike, because my shoes were just not going to do it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quick note on the connector trail from the MUT switchback to the river in Patricia Ravine - half way down there is a large downed tree parallel to the trail that finally shifted either due to another tree hitting it or plain old rot. It's narrowed the trail a bit and I assume there's a good possibility that it shifts further and takes out a clean ride. If you normally tear that trail up you better keep your head up for the next couple of days.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodo hmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodoh mygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohm ygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmy godohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygod

mtbr member
    The weather had been so nice and the trails in such good shape that I really wasn't in a rush for snow. But last night was commuting home in pitchblack on disgustingly slimy trails, so bring on the reflective whitestuff.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Forget how last fall/winter played out, but I'm hoping there could be a couple week window between now and sustained winter where I can squeeze a few more fall rides in.

Or is the slimyness pretty much a continuous thing now?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I don't have a fatbike but I have a 29er with studded front/back tires. What singletrack is doable?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I don't have a fatbike but I have a 29er with studded front/back tires. What singletrack is doable?
    It's really condition dependent (snow depth, temperature effects how firm/soft things are and how well packed it is from traffic). I found that it wasn't too bad for the most part throughout the river valley, but I could not keep up with fat bikers to save my life; they are so much faster in the snow. Early season is better than latter on, because the snow pack is less and 29er tires will actually dig through the snow and get purchase on the frozen ground still. Your best bet is to just go ride. In the winter its about getting out and having fun. I tend to ride more like a downhiller in the winter, find easy climbs and more interesting descents, often climbing up more pavement or gravel multi-use and descending on single track. My 2 cents, hope it helps.
    Last edited by mtnbikermitch; 11-06-2015 at 02:05 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    cool thanks

mtbr member
    For those couple of storms where we get 20cm+ of snow, you'll have to wait a few days for things to get packed down. Other than that, a studded 29er is fine for everything.

Although I personally tend to avoid trails like Skyline and Spanish Switchblade in winter. If something's a little sketchy in the summer, then adding ice to it isn't an improvement.

It depends on the year too. Last year, the early winter was a little snowy and late winter was ridiculously icy. A few years before that it was super icy until christmas, and then we got some snow. And back in 2011 we got all of this within a couple of weeks:

mtbr member
    Still so slimy. Started off on six-shooter and the first half was looking good, but the second half was terrible. Did a little bit of keillor, but then gave up and stuck to mups. If we get rain tonight it'll only get worse.

mtbr member
    So question is would you want huge dump of snow or current conditions ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Today was a really nice day for riding, but I wouldn't mind snow. It's going to happen one way or another:

Nov 6, 2011
    Edmonton Autumn/Winter 2016-6320046833_e0fa7f87fe_z.jpg

Nov 9, 2012

Nov 10, 2013

Nov 9, 2014

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    prime conditions out there right now. Hardpack hero dirt. Get after it!

mtbr member
    This is so, so, so much better than the slime. And not really any snow in the longterm forecast.

mtbr member
    The weather here is great, but this was better last week:

mtbr member
    Got out this weekend. Rode early Sunday morning while the ground was still frozen. We need some snow - lots of damage being done to the trails from riders riding/walking through the mud!

Frozen solid and great!

Still frozen, but upper path will need work due to mud riding:

Trailhead to avoid some pavement enroute to Gold Digger:

mtbr member
    ^ is that last one "moonraker"? I had just noticed it on trailforks, but didn't get out that way this week.

mtbr member
    Yup, Moonraker it is. Didn't know it was on Trailforks yet. Was rideable, but only because the ground was still frozen.

mtbr member
    Yeah, it just popped up on there. Is it pretty much like Golddigger Part II?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    anyone try Masters Degree below the uofa? Heard its a pretty challenging trail

mtbr member
    anyone try Masters Degree below the uofa? Heard its a pretty challenging trail
    Pure grease Saturday during the day. Turned around after 20 feet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I rode it on Saturday and it was great riding east to west. Tried to ride it west to East but my budy destroyed his freehub two turns into the trail.

Next is to find "higher learning"

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Heads up in Patricia Ravine - the connector trail from the upper trail to the MUT switchback has a tree down at face level right on the sharp corner.

mtbr member
    All trails last night on the club ride were frozen solid, so in other words, great! There wasn't any frost on any of the roots, but there was some on the dirt and fallen leaves.

mtbr member

Moab Trip

Finally made it out to Moab earlier this month with my mountain bike. Myself and eight others from Hardcore rode for nine straight days on a good selection of the best trails that Moab, St. George, and Fruita have to offer.

We were out on the bikes anywhere from four to six hours per day and the riding was fairly technical and very physically exerting. The amount of climbing that you do on any of these trails is on average about two to three times the total elevation gain on a trail of similar distance here in Edmonton. The technicality of the trails is different than Edmonton. Rock versus roots. In some ways, the slippery roots are easier to ride than the sandpaper rock as you can slide your wheels as a navigation technique whereas on sandpaper rock, there's no slipping.

We all came into the bike vacation with a ton of riding miles under our belts for the year. At the end, we were all pretty wiped and tired, but glad we were able to finish all our rides without any major bike failures or personal injuries.

Some of the bike trails criss cross some of the 4x4 trails, and some of the bike rails merge and use the ledge drop/waterfall sections of the 4x4 trails as well. The ledge drops are pretty tricky to climb on your bike as you can't "bump" the ledge like you could with a 4x4. A lot of the bike trails were next to the edge of a Messa or cliff with a good 100-300 feet of vertical drop. We avoided the one bike trail where three riders have died by going too fast and riding off the edge of the cliff.

Given that we were there during the off season, there was minimal 4x4 activity and minimal mountain bikers as well. Weather was perfect, 12 degree highs, no wind, and with no tree coverage, the constant sun exposure made things nice and warm, but not too warm.

Here's some random photos!

We actually rode this trail down (but not up). You can see that the rock ledges are about the same height as our wheels (29 inches). It's a series of step downs that was super challenging to roll down on your bike without going over your handlebars.

mtbr member
    ^ looks fantastic.

When you're talking about elevation gain, was it a lot of spinning uphill for an hour and then descending, or more up-and-down-and-up-and-down. It doesn't take much to beat the 150' of vertical in Edmonton.

mtbr member
    More up and down. My typical rides will have anywhere from 300-400 meters of climbing. I distinctly remember one ride when we were at 5km distance with 200 meters of climbing already. Punchy short climbs, all over, all the time.

Some of the trails we did later on were more of a slow spin climb affair. Overall, most of the trails were punchy climbs, though with some obvious longer accents.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    In case anyone is wondering. Trail conditions were awesome yesterday and with today's warm temperatures, today is going to be an unreal day for riding.

mtbr member
    Terwilliger yesterday was great, as was Mustang.

mtbr member
    It was a perfect day for a ride. So many fat bikes out there, but i'm still riding the skinnies. Rode singletrack and gravel double track all day and it was awesome out there today.
    Edmonton Autumn/Winter 2016-img_20151122_122904.jpgEdmonton Autumn/Winter 2016-img_20151122_135406.jpgEdmonton Autumn/Winter 2016-img_20151122_122831.jpg
    Last edited by dana109; 11-22-2015 at 08:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Trail conditions were unreal today!

Being end of November, it's not that common to see fat bike, skinny mountain bikes, cross bikes and road bikes all in the same day.

Fat bike bug is bitting at my arse, but haven't pulled the trigger yet so enjoyed the 29er day on risky business, kesstle, Andre's, Caddy Track, Ewok, Birdhouse, Old Timer's, six shooter, and I think I rode Mater's Degree. All nice and frozen but still great traction. Sounds like snow for tomorrow, but I sure could handle a few more weeks of this!

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGreenChameleon View Post

Fat bike bug is bitting at my arse, but haven't pulled the trigger yet
    me too. I was at redbike yesterday. If i had the money in the bank i would have walked out with a Rocky Mountain Blizzard -30. They had a size large right there when you walk in taunting me with how awesome it looks.

mtbr member
    I just put the studs and winter drivetrain on my winterbike, and it's a little weird to think that by mid-march (only 3 1/2 months from now) I'm usually back to ss, with the studs almost always coming off before April 1.

mtbr member
    I really want a fatbike. It's just pure bike lust. But ya considering i've ridden 2.2" tires on a 26" hardtail in the winter for a decade, and in the summer 3/4 of my riding is with my cyclocross bike, I sort of feel like 5" tires are going to feel like overkill.

But i'm sure it's no different than riding a 120mm full suspension bike on the same trails i ride on my cyclocross. It's a bit overkill, but it's also pretty damn fun to just let go of the brakes and roll over everything at speed without a second thought.

mtbr member
    ^ so I've got a question.

When you're on the crossbike on singletrack, are you mostly on the hoods, or in the drops?

Because for years I've had my dropbar 29er, which is setup with the bar really high so I'm 99% in the drops. But that's its own beast.

I setup my new fake-cx bike with the bar lower because I wanted to use the hoods, but I'm having problems getting enough braking force when I really need it. (although this bike has admittedly crummy discs brakes, which I suspect might be part of the issue)

Basically I'm just curious what's typical - 1-finger braking from the hoods, 2-finger braking from the hoods, or in the drops for any sort of descent?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    fattys are fun any time of year. They ride a bit different that a traditional mountain bike, but I've become quite a fan.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Before I picked up my cx at the very end of last year I'd never in my life rode a drop bar bike. Maybe this was the reason for me riding almost exclusively on the hoods while tearing up the single track. The only time it got a bit awkward was at the end of long and pounding rides where my grip strength started to wane. Am I going about this the wrong way??

mtbr member
    ya it's awkward. I have canti's so braking sucks. I always ride on the hoods when it's technical, but I have to have 2 fingers (sometimes 3) on the brakes to get enough braking force. It can be awkward on technical steep descents to get enough braking force with enough grip on the bike, and not get my hands bucked off the hoods. It isn't ideal. I'd love to get a cross bike with hydrauling disc brakes. But my 6 year old giant tcx still rides great. So basically it takes a lot more forethought than my full suspension with easy 1 finger hydrualic discs, where I can just go as fast as i want. I often need to think a head and scrub a lot of speed before a descent and then just grip the hoods and ride it out. It's a totally different riding style than a full suspension mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I spend most my time on the hoods with 1 finger on the lever, but that's led to a couple of surprises when I just don't have the leverage I want. But the whole reason I put this bike together was to make things more exciting, and it's certainly that.

Before I picked up my cx at the very end of last year I'd never in my life rode a drop bar bike. Maybe this was the reason for me riding almost exclusively on the hoods while tearing up the single track...
    As I understand it, nowadays dropbars are set up so you'll be on the hoods almost all the time. Except for weirdo dirtdrop mountain bikes where the goal is to be in the drops most the time: FARGO SUS X9 | Bikes | Salsa Cycles But that is not the norm.

mtbr member
    When you're on the crossbike on singletrack, are you mostly on the hoods, or in the drops?
    Generally you'll find people riding on the hoods. Your arms are in a much stronger position to move the front end around. As many fingers on the brake as you need to slow down, while having enough on the bar to hang on. It's a compromise one way or the other, or two fingers on one brake and one on the other. Pro's don't even hang out in the drops on descents, but they also aren't usually braking going down hill.

mtbr member
    ^ I was actually debating trying to train myself to use 1-finger on one hand and 2 on the other. The problem with 2-finger braking is that the grip isn't great for popping the bike over stuff.

But that's the trick. The pros aren't really picking their way through something like rootcanal, and then trying to brake through the switchbacks on backbreaker. (obviously they could, but it's not typical cross stuff).

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Except for weirdo dirtdrop mountain bikes where the goal is to be in the drops most the time: FARGO SUS X9 | Bikes | Salsa Cycles But that is not the norm.

errrr.... I so want that! Maybe next year I'll frankenstein my old rock hopper. I absolutely love the handling of the cx on technical stuff. Try it out with those awesome 25$ mec bars.

mtbr member
    if you ride root and backbreaker on your cx bike, do you ever mess up your wheels? I bent my rear rim attempting andre's on my cross bike, i crashed hard twice (perhaps dumb but it was a challenge). After that experience i wrote myself a poem/mantra:

if you ride cross on trails you better have the skills
    or else you'll be shopping for a new set of wheels.

mtbr member
    ^ I've only had the setup for a few weeks, so haven't had enough time to do much destruction. But they're also not cx wheels - they're 29" rhynolites. I knew I was going to beat them up, so I went heavy duty.

errrr.... I so want that! Maybe next year I'll frankenstein my old rock hopper.
    the thing about the fargo and other dirtdrop bikes (and I guess now some gravelbikes as well) is that they use flared drops:

So when you're in the drops the levers are almost lying flat (well, not really...but sortof midway there). It gives lots of control, and tons of braking force, but getting the bars high enough and with a short enough reach can be a real challenge.

mtbr member
    I don't do root trails on my cx. To many pinch flats, i just stay away.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    newfangled: that is an awesome pic and some mental bars!
    dana: Here's what I think are terrible with me on a cx:
    1. 'Roots' I don't even like 'roots' on my hardtail and it's even worse on the cx so I don't ride it.
    2. whatever the centre trail in McClung is called - the south half is kills all momentum
    3. Bruce Almighty - especially crappy going north.

I never got around to checking out camel humps yet but it doesn't sound like a good candidate. I was on golddigger on the cx in early/mid summer and decided to wait until it got rode down but never got back.

Keilor Rd to Hawr Pk. trail, Andre's and The Trap (not as technical) are my fave cx track due to the technical and strategic side to the attack (and survival!) followed by the long windy thing in the science park. Bobsled and Wally are pure suicidal magic but that may because I don't do downhill. My bike took a beating this year...

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hardcore group ride through Millcreek last night was perfect. Conditions were a lot of fun and there is something magical about riding while the snow is falling at night.

mtbr member
    So that was a rough commute.

Not sure if people know about this or not:

Winter Biking

It's been set up by one of the local folks, and it's mostly intended for commuting, but he's got another function (I think it's sortof in beta) that lets you add strava segments:

Strava Winter Biking

Could be a fantastic way to track trail conditions this year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Does anyone know a good fabricator or frame builder?
    My aluminum fat bike frame is cracked and not covered under warranty.
    With the standards (rear spacing, fork length, bb size etc) for fat bikes changing so much recently even finding a replacement frame that will fit my parts has been challenging

Edmonton Autumn/Winter 2016-rsd.jpg

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well

I've got a couple of calls in to some welder friends, Mitch

....and none of them have the correct equipment to weld aluminum.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Awesome! The frame is 6061 aluminum.

mtbr member
    Oh, that's sucks.

I think aluminum will be the tricky part, since any framebuilders would use steel (not that I know of any local frame builders, besides arvon)

Probably best to just google aluminum welders, and try giving them a call.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Awesome! The frame is 6061 aluminum.
    big deal is the weld will have to be heat treated....to regain original strength which apparently you need more than original.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Whoever I traded My Bluto with for the Carbon Pivot fork...If you are on here , Thank-You!!! Never got your name as it was all done by Revo cycle. I'm stoked how my bike handles now, its exactly what I wanted. Hopefully with a service your new fork will give you lots of trouble free rides! Thanks again!
    On a side noter, the Fat biking in Jasper is pretty good now as it hasnt snowed for a bit and things are packing down well.

mtbr member
    Trails were pretty good this weekend. Tried Six Shooter and won't try again until spring. Just too off cambered and icy. Trails out east were good. Trails going west were good as well, but skipped Kinsmen. The snow was pretty granular and not as packed down as I thought it'd be. Had to watch yourself as the snow was pretty slippery once you got off the beaten track. Saw lots of riders out and lots of new fat bike riders as well.

mtbr member
    Yeah, sixshooter, spanish switchblade, and skyline are all probably off my route for the next few months. Bad enough with some snow, but potentially insane if there's a bit of ice.

Decent 29er ride on saturday. Didn't have much time on sunday, so zipped around on the skinny tires for a bit:

mtbr member
    Not sure where it all the water came from, but water levels are way up. The area around the keillor slide means hiking up up to the highground, or riding through a really long stretch of cold water.
    Last edited by newfangled; 12-01-2015 at 09:07 AM.

mtbr member
    20+ fat bikers showed up for the club ride last night. Stuck to the south side of the river and rode all the trails from Skyline up to the climb out of the MUT in Capilano Park, then turned around and did it all in reverse.

Still surprised how loose the snow is. The trails are definitely packed down, but on the corners, the snow is still pretty loose and sandy. Given the temperatures we've been having, I thought there'd be more compactness to the trails. Thankfully, the ice so far is essentially non-existent.

mtbr member
    Got out again last night and the exposed sections of trail (Mill Creek, north side above Dawson Bridge, lower river trail/low Ewok) are starting to lose their snow pack. Mud, snow, and ice. We definitely need a good dump of snow! At this rate, by Saturday there will be stretches of mud to contend with. Not good.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Does anyone know a good fabricator or frame builder?
    My aluminum fat bike frame is cracked and not covered under warranty.
    With the standards (rear spacing, fork length, bb size etc) for fat bikes changing so much recently even finding a replacement frame that will fit my parts has been challenging

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RSD.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	131.6 KB 
ID:	1031340
    Is that a Blizzard?

mtbr member
    I think it's a 907

mtbr member
    Edmonton Autumn/Winter 2016-untitled.jpg

EMBA, if you're going to post stuff like this you'd better have someone proofread it to make sure that it says what you think it does. Because right now it looks like you're going way beyond whatever role you think you have.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Which came first, regular mountain bikes or fat bikes? Which have been riding the river valley longer in the winter?

mtbr member
    ^ didn't you know that it was completely impossible to ride a bike in winter before fatbikes were invented?

On facebook they're claiming that this is supposed to mean that only fatbikes are allowed on groomed x-country ski trails, but that's bs because:

• It's totally not what it says. Someone needs to take a basic logic course, followed by some remedial english.
    • The EMBA has no authority whatsoever to say that fatbikes are allowed on ski trails. No bikes should be riding along the groomed ski trails for fun. It's not like there's so many of them that they're impossible to avoid.

mtbr member
    The emba post needed a good proof read before it was posted. The response from Chris, and his subsequent redraft, captures the essence of what I believe emba was trying to communicate.

Having said that, the only thing I 100% agree with is yielding to skiers and you know that was written as a result of gold digger. My old 29er was my winter bike for a few years, but would be frowned upon based on emba's post.

mtbr member
    I found Mike's replies pretty humorous!

mtbr member
    ^ and they did a post last week about being careful when crossing the goldbar trails, and that was just fine. I wish they'd left it at that (and I hope they officially retract and revise this)

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    @yahsper its an RSD. The Mayor.

mtbr member
    ^ I was going to ask, how did you notice that it was cracked? I've seen other stories that suddenly the frame feels like a wet noodle, but I always wonder if I'd actually notice or not.

Got out for a little ride this morning, and we're finally getting to see some nice, solid hardpack, instead of the weirdly unconsolidated stuff that had been kicking around since last week. Not sure how long it will last.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    ^ I was going to ask, how did you notice that it was cracked? I've seen other stories that suddenly the frame feels like a wet noodle, but I always wonder if I'd actually notice or not.

Got out for a little ride this morning, and we're finally getting to see some nice, solid hardpack, instead of the weirdly unconsolidated stuff that had been kicking around since last week. Not sure how long it will last.
    I didn't notice anything until the driveside crank began to hit the chainstay.Which was a concerning moment, at first I thought there was something wrong with the crank or bottom bracket.

mtbr member
    Can you get a warranty frame replacement?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Can you get a warranty frame replacement?
    Yes, but they updated the frame so none of my parts will bolt up. So there is no point... Just to get the rear wheel rebuilt with the correct hub/spacing is $480.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Its global fatbike day. I will be in a group of about 15 or more fatbikers, i think theres a few other groups doing rides today.
    Get out there!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Yes, but they updated the frame so none of my parts will bolt up. So there is no point... Just to get the rear wheel rebuilt with the correct hub/spacing is $480.
    I would say, then, that the point would be to get the warranty frame and sell it. Use the money to get a frame compatible with the parts you have.

Also, it might be worth asking RSD (very politely) if you they would sell you a new rear hub at their cost, since they're the ones who changed standards. Relacing a new wheel wouldn't cost you a ton.
    I write for the Dusty Musette.

mtbr member
    17 riders out last night for Hardcore's Monday night ride. All of us were on fat bikes except one - he was on a Trek Stache 5, so a 29+ 3" tire. Big change from even last year only in the percent of fat bikes compared to regular bikes.

Trail conditions were great. A bit loose on climbs here and there, but good overall. We rode Six Shooter up, all ride able for the most part other than some of the super steep sections, rode Machete which was ass puckering to say the least, and hit McKinnon Ravine on the way back which was all good with only one super icy section on the double switch back section on Backbreaker. The first switchback was fine, but the second one immediately after was super slick. Couple of riders went over the bar as the front wheel slid out. Most walked it. Some rode it cleanly!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Been some pretty good riding last little bit. I hope that everyone is getting their fill. I am also curious if anyone is using the Maxxis dhf and dhr tires and how they would compare to the Bud and Lou I am currently running. Not really concerned about weight, rolling resistance or any of that other happy crappy. Traction is what makes my world go around. Is the traction superior? Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    No idea on the Maxxis. I'm using a Van Helga in the rear and a Flowbeist up front and the combination is perfect. There's a few riders around who are trying this combination as well.

Got out to south Mill Creek south of the Whitemud last night. Best snow conditions in the city, by far. Rode all the trails up to Jackie Parker Park and back. Not a lot of trails, but the trails that are there (if you can find them), are pretty fun! By fun, I mean fun for winter riding, they'd be pretty lame in the summer!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Are those those ones you were putting the kold kutters in? Curious how that worked out, I used them ages ago when I used to do the dirt bike thing.

mtbr member
    Yup, my second set of this combination has the Kold Kutters in them. Thankfully, I haven't had to try them out yet as the snow conditions are still good for non-studless!

mtbr member
    WINTERUS MAXIMUS

Edmonton's 1st ever Fat-bike Chariot Race!

Think Roman Gladiator chariots, meets chuckwagon racing meets dog sled racing! As part of the Flying Canoe Festival, MADE is hosting a call for entries for the first ever "Winterus Maximus" event: 2 Fat-bikes pulling a custom-designed Chariot and pilot in races against other chariots!. The race will be held on a course on the Flying Canoe Festival grounds in the Mill Creek area on February 6th, 2016. Teams will be responsible for designing the Chariots and the harnesses connecting to the fat-bikes.

Successful entrants can either enter a team of 3 together: (one sled pilot and two riders, each on a fat-bike) or, a Chariot team will be paired with a 2-person Fat-bike team to race for glory and prizes.

The Entry Fee is $30/team payable on Eventbrite. There will be an opportunity for teams to test out their sleds and teams at the Byzantine Winter Festival on January 9th & 10th.
    This brand new winter event is made possible with support from the City of Edmonton's WinterCity Office.

For the design brief and full contest rules, please email [email protected]
    Figured people might be interested in this. Even if I am suspicious that it will actually work (perfect snow conditions will be key. And turning: forget about it)

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    ^ I saw this too. I am pretty excited about it. Should be fun even if it doesn't work.

mtbr member
    ^ it'll be interesting to see if they set it up as drag races (which could work) or an oval track (I predict carnage).

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    ^ it'll be interesting to see if they set it up as drag races (which could work) or an oval track (I predict carnage).
    Oval track with carnage sounds amazing

mtbr member
    I guess I think that it will be slow-motion carnage. And that might not be amazing, but it is worth the attempt.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I have often thought about making a miniature tractor pull sled just for bikes, never really figured out a fail safe way to go about attaching it though. I mean it's one thing to attach a little trailer that rolls along behind you and another to attach something that's going to eventually stall you dead while you're putting all you've got into the rear wheel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm not a fan of the colder weather but it's been nice not having to look for spots to cool down the studs during the daily commute.

mtbr member
    Trails have been fantastic for the past couple of weeks. Terwilliger is all good, as is the Go trail. Mustang is a bit too far out to get much traffic on it, so not as good. Mill Creek is super popular and gets packed in right away regardless of snow fall.

Been doing a whole lot of this over the past couple of weeks! Photo credit: Sherijumper The lone biker: Saturday Snow Stomp

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Anyone been out to Ft. Sask? I'm wondering if any of it's been ridden down. I've never been there but why not make my first visit in the winter?

mtbr member
    Anyone been out to Ft. Sask? I'm wondering if any of it's been ridden down. I've never been there but why not make my first visit in the winter?
    Sherijumper was out there today. Report here:

The lone biker: Boxing Day. Fort Saskatchewan

mtbr member
    Trails really have been fantastic for the last few weeks. Hopefully things will stay just cool enough to keep them that way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    removed
    Last edited by feepa; 01-19-2016 at 01:02 PM.

mtbr member
    I still don't own a fat bike, but I still enjoy riding my old hardtail.

Edmonton Autumn/Winter 2016-bike.jpg

mtbr member
    ^ me neither, and me too. Conditions have been so good this winter that I've barely even used the studded bike (although I have a feeling that will change this week).

My weekend:

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dana109 View Post
    I still don't own a fat bike, but I still enjoy riding my old hardtail.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	238.5 KB 
ID:	1045270
    What trail is this? I have never seen it before .

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ifly3Dallday View Post
    What trail is this? I have never seen it before .
    Old Timer's
    Old Timer's Mountain Bike Trail - Central Edmonton (South), Edmonton

mtbr member
    yup that's the one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Ohh I see. Can't believe I missed it. Thanks!

mtbr member
    I remember before that ramp/wood was built how rooty that was. I remember failing to climb those roots like 3 group rides in a row and getting mad at myself and one day having a session and just doing a looping heading back on the canada cup (of course this was before that trail was used as part of the canada cup but i can't remember what we used to call it) section and looping back until i climbed it without putting a foot down. I kind of miss that rooty climb, but the little ramp and railroad pieces are fun.

I crashed off the side of those railroad piece once it was ugly, and i've struggled with that one bit ever since, probably 60% of the time i ride on the dirt beside them.

mtbr member
    ^ they built that bridge just about the time I was getting into this. So I remember completely struggling in that section a few times that summer. And then one day I was feeling brave again and was going to finally give it another try, and "Hey, a bridge."

mtbr member
    Is that trail labeled "too much" pretty new? I live in that neighborhood and i've been mtbing for over a decade in the river valley and i've never ridden that. Admittedly i've been riding less the last few years, but i thought i knew all the trails.

mtbr member
    ^ I think the story was that it was a really old trail, and hardcore rehabed it last summer?

It's got an old bridge through really tight trees:

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    That's a cool trail and it's one that seems to hide in plain view. That first hill going south is nasty

mtbr member
    Correct, it's an old trail that was refreshed this past year with the bridge to help with erosion issues.

Guess I'll have to finish my DIY stud project that I started back in October, but was waiting for a reason to finish. I now have that reason!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Correct, it's an old trail that was refreshed this past year with the bridge to help with erosion issues.

Guess I'll have to finish my DIY stud project that I started back in October, but was waiting for a reason to finish. I now have that reason!
    They work real good, even on that ugly hump of ice that's trying to assimilate the small skinny on pipedream. I just ground the pointy ends off with a die grinder and sanding wheel and then covered each one up with a little square of gorilla tape.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldDad View Post
    They work real good, even on that ugly hump of ice that's trying to assimilate the small skinny on pipedream. I just ground the pointy ends off with a die grinder and sanding wheel and then covered each one up with a little square of gorilla tape.
    Yup, that's my plan too - some grinding and taping!

mtbr member
    Getting icy out there. Not the big iceflows yet, but a slippery crust in a lot of spots.

mtbr member
    Had my Kold Kutter screws tips that protruded into my tires ground down by a friend last night. Took a couple of hours with a dremel tool. Tedious, but essential work as my rims aren't tubeless ready. I'll put some Gorilla tape on the inside of my tires tonight and go for the test ride Saturday morning. I'll post some pics of the final studded tires mounted and give a ride report back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Schwalbe Ice Spiker tires rule

mtbr member
    ^ how old are yours now?

I found that after a few years of commuting+singletrack the traction had gone way down. The studs were still fine, but they'd sunk a little too deep into the knobs, and wouldn't dig into things.

So I took an exacto knife and cutoff some of the knob to expose the studs a bit better:
    Name:  1039925d1451866064t-schwalbe-ice-spiker-pro-15587986734_c386c9946f_k.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  44.0 KB

It worked really well, so it's just something to think about if you ever find them lacking.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I've rode a bunch of trails since the january down pour. Terwillegar is in awesome shape, including the new go trail and most of mustang.
    The Central trails are decent to pretty good. Middle Ewok has some good ice built up in places, but rides well enough. The downhill entrance to caddy track is as well as one would expect, but after that crispy snow with lots of traction. Happy Endings/Andre's trail was pretty sweet, though the one little rooty uphill bend, I lost traction and spun out (even with studs).
    Snakeback on the northside road really well, the corners are a bit slick so you kinda 'tokyo drift' on them, but lots of fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    Schwalbe Ice Spiker tires rule
    As do 45nrth Dillinger 5's

mtbr member
    As do 45nrth Dillinger 5's
    I had Dillingers last year. They work, but I'm looking for something more aggressive, so I sold them this year and am trying the Kold Kutter experiment.

mtbr member
    Had my Kold Kutter screws tips that protruded into my tires ground down by a friend last night. Took a couple of hours with a dremel tool. Tedious, but essential work as my rims aren't tubeless ready. I'll put some Gorilla tape on the inside of my tires tonight and go for the test ride Saturday morning. I'll post some pics of the final studded tires mounted and give a ride report back.
    I can make your rims tubeless ready .....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    So icy. Studs handle it well enough, but don't try to put a foot down.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Yup pretty dangerous out there without studs. I just picked up a fat bike a week ago. Love it so far, but not really interested in spending another $350+ for studded tires.

A couple questions for those running kold kutters:

1. Did you have to purchase them online, or is there somewhere in the city they are available.

2. Did you install with a dab of adhesive like 3M 5200 to keep them from pulling out?

3. How many did you install and did you weigh them before installing to see how much weight you are adding.

4. They sound like they are a little more dangerous than any other studs out there. Do you know if they will be permitted at any of the local race series (tripple crown / blizzard bike race)

I'm thinking of running them on Vee Bulldozers and setting them up tubeless.

Thanks

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    So today was the test day for my Kold Kutter DIY tire combo.

Invincible. You could hear me coming a mile away and the ice was literally ripping out under my tires. Better traction on some climbs than in the summer. Way better than my studded dillingers from last year.

Then my studs starting flying out of my rear tire!

Lost 100 screws on the rear tire, but none on the front. Ride lasted 17km and every trail out there is ice.

I'll have to rethink how to keep my screws in the tire, or find another different tire with solid knobs that I can screw in to.

Hard to see, but the track in the ice is from me, the track next to me on the right is from a dillinger 4 studded tire. It's hard to make out the dillinger track, easy to see mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast