Edmonton- Mtbr.com

Thread: Edmonton

mtbr member

Edmonton

I just heard that I am probably transfered to Edmonton this summer. What's the riding there like? I don't jump or ride stunts but like tight twisty singletrack. How about commuting? I will work out on the Army base. What is a good area to rent an apartment if I want to walk for groceries, coffee, resteraunts etc.? Must be unpretentious but with no crack whores on corner.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

Jag
    mtbr member

Lets see....

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
    I just heard that I am probably transfered to Edmonton this summer. What's the riding there like? I don't jump or ride stunts but like tight twisty singletrack. How about commuting? I will work out on the Army base. What is a good area to rent an apartment if I want to walk for groceries, coffee, resteraunts etc.? Must be unpretentious but with no s on corner.

If you head east from the Army base to Fort Saskatchewan... (about 20k) down by the river there is a 20-25k ride (up and back) which is great ride. (very twisty). My Favorite.

The river valley has literally miles and miles of single and double track through the whole city...(talk to Pedalheads a lbs for info on weekly rides).

Twillegaar Park has some nice trails, where they host some local races... (easy stuff for the most part and you have to dodge all the people with their dogs).

Jag
    Dad...isn't the word "abbreviation" being hypocritical being so long.... My 11 year old daughter.

mtbr member

Thanks

I'm looking foreward to having more singletrack in the city.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

wpg then, van now
    I'm looking foreward to having more singletrack in the city.

Gerry...
    Guess who else is moving to Edmonton! See you there! We'll find some trails.

I should be there by end of March...email me when you get into town.

mtbr member

Sweet

Edmonton soundslike it's got some good riding, I hope the have some good local beer too. See you there.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I just heard that I am probably transfered to Edmonton this summer. What's the riding there like? I don't jump or ride stunts but like tight twisty singletrack. How about commuting? I will work out on the Army base. What is a good area to rent an apartment if I want to walk for groceries, coffee, resteraunts etc.? Must be unpretentious but with no crack whores on corner.

Hey, There is excellent technical singletrack in Ft. Saskatchewan, Alberta which is just 10-15 min East of Edmonton by Auto. The trails are mostly in the North saskatchewan
    river valley and adjacent areas you can ride hard for 2-3 hours in sort of an out and back with some cool side loops. lots of tricky woods riding Logs short ,steep chutes etc.Some of it tends to get grown in a bit mid summer. also good road riding out here.
    Ft. Sask is relatively close to the Edmonton Barracks with a fair number of military Guys commuting. St. Albert is even closer they are both subburbs of Edmonton.

mtbr member

Omg

You are making me drool. Thanks
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member

Just found out

I am being transfered for sure. I am pretty excited, I have a mtb friend who lives there and one of the guys from the local club here is moving there as well. Looks like there are some good rides with some of the LBSs there.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

wpg then, van now
    'Travis'

I'm here now - bikes are being moved with the house - should have them mid-May. Lemme know when you are in town and we'll start ridin'.

mtbr member

July

I'll be there sometime in july. Theres a Gord road ride thursday and Ingolf on Sunday. See you soon.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Jag
    mtbr member

If you're in Edmonton now...

Quote Originally Posted by WpgRider
    'Travis'

I'm here now - bikes are being moved with the house - should have them mid-May. Lemme know when you are in town and we'll start ridin'.

you are going to have to change your handle....
    Dad...isn't the word "abbreviation" being hypocritical being so long.... My 11 year old daughter.

I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005

Good job!

There is lots of great singletrack in Edmonton.
    Theres some good stuff in Terwiliger....

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Good job!

Don't forget Mill Creek, there are some good singletrack trails there.
    The whole river valley is now open to bikers, these were closed to cycling, now they are all open.

The trail in Ft. Sask has been called 'death trail', so I have heard. I have ridden there a few times, and I guess, if you end up in the river, (falling 30 ft or so) in the icy water, ya death,, LOL

wpg then, van now
    Got a few rides in already - hit me up with an email when you want to hook up.

Oct 2005

river valley rules

edmonton has knarly rides for what ever your into I like to park off groat on the north side of the road and ride out to terwilligar trails screw aroud there eat lunch and ride back on the opposite side of the river you came in on. later happy trails,
    ps. I would also try the mill creek rivine and iunno what its called but that area near snow valley ski club

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hi all, new to the boards; but not new to Edmonton.

If you are ever on the southside there's some nice technical stuff at the bottom of the 23 Ave. bridge which crosses Whitemud creek. i.e. the bridge just west of 119 St. If you ride south from the bridge you can reach the MacTaggart Sanctuary which is open to all sorts of uses. The Sanctuary is a nature sanctuary donated to the University and it does not see high usage compared to anything in the River Valley.