Dogs on trails in Whistler/Squamish/Mt. Fromme- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Dogs on trails in Whistler/Squamish/Mt. Fromme

I'm making a trip up to BC in a few weeks and one of the guys going wants to bring his dog. I've been looking, with limited success, what local trail etiquette is about riding with dogs. We will be riding stuff in Whistler valley, Squamish, and Vancouver (primarily Mt. Fromme).

Anything we (really he) needs to know?

roots, rocks, rhythm
    When you are in a Provincial Park the dog must be on a leash.
    Like when you ride around Alice Lake in Squamish. Just those trails that go into the park.

Otherwise, from what I know I have seen dogs on most of the trials that I have ridden.
    When in Whistler you can't take the dog on the Bike Park and any trails on Whistler/Blackcomb.
    On all the other trails I have ridden I have seen dogs.

But to make it clear I don't have a dog so it is one of those things I really did not look into.
    However, riding with those that have dogs you will be fine.
    Never had any issues with dogs on trails.
    However one problem will be how your dog will do when you encounter bears.
    Lots of them or signs of them around and it depends how well trained your dog is when encountering Wildlife.

Not sure if that helps.....
    97' Brodie Expresso
    00' Turner RFX
    08' Turner RFX
    13' Surly Troll
    15' Surly ICT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgprimo View Post
    When you are in a Provincial Park the dog must be on a leash.
    Like when you ride around Alice Lake in Squamish. Just those trails that go into the park.

Otherwise, from what I know I have seen dogs on most of the trials that I have ridden.
    When in Whistler you can't take the dog on the Bike Park and any trails on Whistler/Blackcomb.
    On all the other trails I have ridden I have seen dogs.

But to make it clear I don't have a dog so it is one of those things I really did not look into.
    However, riding with those that have dogs you will be fine.
    Never had any issues with dogs on trails.
    Lots of them or signs of them around and it depends how well trained your dog is when encountering Wildlife.

Not sure if that helps.....
    Covered everything except also no dogs allowed up to the sproatt alpine trails (lord of the squirrels etc)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgprimo View Post
    Good point.

These are also popular trails so you'd want to be pretty confident it's a good trail dog and isn't going to end up being a problem around other riders and other dogs.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Great, thanks for the info. Luckily the dog is well behaved and doesn't wonder off (he's also pretty tire fixated), so bears won't be on his mind.

Rides all the bikes!
    I know this whole "trail dog" thing is all the cool thing right now.

But it's not.

Leave the pup at home. Please. Everyone thinks THEIR dog is so great, it isn't. Like bringing your kids to a nice restaurant, then wondering why people are annoyed by your "well behaved and quiet" shit machine that is crying.

I have been active in dog rescue for quite some time. Currently take my rescue horse out for walks often (lives with my ex wife). I love them, but I recognize their place isn't wandering around on the trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    OP, go to an unfamiliar trail system then focus on a massive jump.
    Nailed it.
    But wait....at the last second watch out on the backslope for that random dog that showed up from an older fella out on a morning walk with his beloved pet.

I think dogs on trails like Whistler should be disallowed. No way should a family pet be allowed to roam those trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    The friend I normally rid with brings his dog and here are my observations (I am a non-dog owner).

- My buddy is faster than me, so he usually leads. Sometimes the dog gets interested in something on the trail and blocks the trail. Really annoying
    - his dog seems to suffer from cut paws a lot while trail running
    - we went away for a couple of days to ride, dog damaged his paw, so we had to limit the number of rides and how long we were away for during the day
    - being a non-dog owner, I donít want the dog in my vehicle after a trail ride, getting paw prints everywhere and nose prints on the interior glass etc

Trail dogs seem like a cool idea, but like many cool ideas, it falls apart in the execution.
    2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt BC Edition
    2017 Rocky Mountain Blizzard -50
    2015 Giant Fastroad

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    I know this whole "trail dog" thing is all the cool thing right now.

But it's not.
    Please get over yourself. Thanks.

OP you'll find tons of people out these parts with their dogs, most people don't take themselves too seriously.

No dogs up LOTS though eh https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl1-tX7QHjE haha

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for the info. I agree with some of the anti-trail dog sentiment, especially around trails with blind make or break features or dirty dogs in my own vehicle, too many owners not cleaning up after their dog, etc...

The guy is a responsible owner and is happy to leave the dog at home/day care when warranted. We'll keep the pup outta the alpine zone and keep him contained within our group otherwise.

Hope to see you on the trail!

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Don't own a dog but I like them and have no issues with them on the trail (outside of parks and Sproatt alpine due to water supply/bear risk) but on a road trip I would not want my friends bringing their dogs because as I understand it you should not run your dog into the ground with long rides and consecutive rides (i.e. daily) given the wear and tear on them. I would not want to limit the volume of riding I am going to be able to do on a road trip at all because of a dog either on the trail or waiting in a truck/hotel.