Dispersed Camping in the Canadian Rockies?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Dispersed Camping in the Canadian Rockies?

I hate to ask this because I'm sure it has been done before but my search did not find anything so I'm left asking here. So please don't flame me.

Is there good dispersed camping in Canada?

By dispersed, I mean non-pay sites off forest roads in the mountains.

I'm assuming so but could not find any information to confirm it.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Any specific area that you're looking at? The Canadian Rockies doesn't narrow it down much...
    Everypony loves riding bikes

mtbr member
    It was more of a general question. Bascially, does it exist like it does in the States?

Probably a stupid question but I'm trying to cover all of our bases here.

Not asking for specifics because we are going with the flow and do not have an itinerary to follow. Basic plan is to check out Banff, Kotenay and Jasper doing XC rides in the parks.
    And also hitting up Kicking Horse Resort in Golden for some lift assisted riding.
    Besides that it is up in the air.

We don't mind searching a bit for a dispersed site but wanted to know if they exist or if we should be planning on camping in campgrounds.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    In the National Parks its a no go. There are areas of crown land that are close to Golden that have what you described but not really close to urban areas if it matters.
    Great xc riding in both Banff and Jasper.
    Banff must hits include Minnewanka and Stoney Squaw. Others from the area will have more info.
    Jasper is my stomping grounds and we have epic amounts of xc riding. Must hits include: Valley of the Five Lakes to Wabasso, Overlander Trail, Saturday Night Lake Loop and for an easy spin with some great views all or parts of trail # 7. All of these trails combined are well over 100 kms so lots of options.
    When ya coming?

PVR
    Crash Test Dummy
    In Jasper I would add Trail 2 (to the Overlook and Pyramid Lake) to the list above - a fun ride from town with great views.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. That was exactly the info I was looking for.
    I guess Crown Land is the same as the National Forests in the states? Or at least similiar.

We are leaving this Friday and planning on hitting Stoney Squaw and Minnewanka already or at least one of them.

The Jasper stuff is appreciated as well. I'll research those trails and pick one to do too.

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    between banff and jasper Wilcox pass is a great loop too (ice fields center)

no drop/ dispersed camping in the national parks, but VERY nice sites, firewood, some showers, etc.

outside of the parks, if it is not posted "no camping" go for it.
    good ski/bike deals at www.mntlion.com

My life is better than your vacation.

mtbr member
    in kananaskis your allowed to camp anywhere you want, your just not allowed to do it within 1km of any road. Just to keep people from setting up campers on a nice grassy patch on the side of the road i guess
    It's go time

Members who have read this thread: 0