crowsnest pass - looking for rides and riders- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

crowsnest pass - looking for rides and riders

can anyone point me in the right direction to some good rides in the crowsnest pass area? blairmore, coleman, even castle mountain, etc. wife and mother bought a business in pincher creek so i'll be out there often

i've come across www.uroc.ca, some stuff on youtube, and a recent article in an imba email. if anyone here is a local or member of the group, please post up.

for now (this weekend), looking for something where i won't get lost

thanks

mtbr member
    May 2006
    If your in Pincher Creek...

Head West and then South along the edge of the mountains...

There are several old gas well roads in every valley....all worth exploring.

mtbr member
    you need to get the book "Backcountry Biking in the Canadian Rockies" by Doug Eastcott.

I have fond memories of a ride south of Pee Creek, just behind the Shell gas plant, called Prairie Bluff. It's a 6.4 km grind up a well access road to the top of the mountain, and the view from the top is incredible. To the east is prairie as far as the eye can see, and to the west its all mountains. You can't get lost on this ride.

It's been a long time since I rode in this area, but I wouldn't mind hearing what you find. Let us know how it goes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    thanks both for the replies...my car broke down in creston so i actually didn't make it there this weekend, but hopefully soon

here is the imba article if anybody hasn't read it: http://imbacanada.imbatools.com/?p=943. looks like some cool stuff happening

mtbr member
    I took the IMBA Trail Crew Leader course from Daniel Scott this Spring when he was in Calgary. He knows his stuff, and I look forward to riding what he builds in the Crowsnest. I've done a few rides in the Pass, but they have been old exploration roads or quad tracks. I can hardly wait for the trail network.

mtbr member
    There are a few cool trails there, but as you may have seen on Uroc.ca that they are having a few issues mapping so far, there is a growing bike community there so you might be able to meet some bikers as you spend more time in the area.
    Fernie is also a short drive away in the meantime, and you'll probably run into a lot of Crowsnest riders here on the trails.

mtbr member
    The easiest trail - and first one of the new IMBA project happening in Crowsnest is on the Pass Powderkeg ski hill. There is some new trail - fine example of full bench cut on STEEP side hill and some sections that don't ride great yet which are remnants of older trails. Still well worth the ride though.
    Follow the signs to the ski hill. The gravel access road to the mid-mountain lodge is typically closed so park at the arena at the bottom and ride until you're beside the large water reservoir. Look on your left for a very narrow gap in the barbed-wire fence. This is the start of the uphill singletrack - there are a couple forks in the trail. In general, keep to the most obvious trail, be patient. Once you figure out what is going on it is a fun, worthwhile little climb and descent (out and back). Once we complete the trail to the top of the hill we'll be able to loop into the DH course that goes down the front of the ski hill (same course as the 2008 and 2009 Alberta Cup DH race).
    There is quite a bit of riding in Crowsnest. Unfortunately nothing is mapped and UROC is playing things safe by keeping traffic down on unofficial trails. Some amazing racers have come from the area - no surprise because the riding can be quite challenging both endurance wise and technically. We're told to expect another 25KM of new trails by the end of next season. The new "official" trails will finally be able to be put on a map which will help a bunch.
    PS. there is also a quick, fun out and back from the Frank Slide interpretive center. At the end of the parking lot is a gravel walking path. Single track starts on the left side of that path, climbs up quickly and leads you through stairs crossing over the barbed wire fence. Trail is pretty easy to follow from there and pops you out in Bellevue at the other end - go in the summer, get some ice cream at the ice cream shop in Bellevue then ride back. this is a basic, fun ride with amazing views over Frank slide in a couple spots. If you get lost (wink, wink) on this ride you may find yourself on a section of Good Riddance - one of the funner unofficial trails in the area - or may find someone who can show you the way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    How's the snow conditions on crowsnest pass right now? Can you still ride your bike?

mtbr member
    conditions look good in Crowsnest. No snow except above tree line. Don't be fooled by the snow between Chain Lakes and Hwy3 - there is none in the Pass.

mtbr member
    live webcams, see for yourself:
    http://www.cnplive.com/htm/cam1-4.htm

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    are there any maps of trails in the area??

What about riding at Allison or syncline? are they worth it for casual fun family rides?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TheClash
    are there any maps of trails in the area??

What about riding at Allison or syncline? are they worth it for casual fun family rides?

Yup Allison creek is a great ride....over the top to Racehorse pass and back down...a little long for a family though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks Jeff, I'll have to check it out.

Anyone know of any trails down closer to the park?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    so I am thinking Good Riddance and School of Rock look pretty fun

are these "locals only" kind of trails? are they a shuttle trail?

can anyone give me good directions and or is there a map anywhere??

thanks everyone

mtbr member

Keep your eyes on www.uroc.ca

Neither Good Riddance or School of Rock are "locals only". I assume you mean this as if you'd get attitude from locals if you're on the trails. The locals are awesome and no attitude - just don't stop in stupid places on the trail (more a universal rule). Don't be shocked if someone blasts past you either uphill or down - the locals are skilled and in some cases have crazy fitness.
    Good Riddance is shuttle-able, you just have to ride it a couple times to figure out if you want to finish the trail early for the short shuttle or go all the way into Fireman's Park in Bellevue - which means shuttling back down to the highway, back to the Frank Slide Int. Center road and going all the way back up.
    School of Rock isn't really a shuttle trail. Once the UROC.ca webpage has all the trails up, look to do School of Rock then Whistling Post. Yes, there you either have to start/finish with a couple KM of uphill gravel road (depending on where you park) but not enough to make shuttling worth while. The toughest climbing isn't drive-able and is long enough to put off most people who aren't on bikes that go up hills well.
    UROC has been doing a ton of work to push ahead with mapping trails - even the ones we were once quite afraid of publicizing (not for fear of "exposing secret trails" but to avoid potential liability - ride at your own risk and don't assume any of the technical features are in any way safe). Keep checking www.uroc.ca and please ride with respect and respect private property.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Any ideas when these trails might be rideable?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikebros
    Neither Good Riddance or School of Rock are "locals only". I assume you mean this as if you'd get attitude from locals if you're on the trails. The locals are awesome and no attitude - just don't stop in stupid places on the trail (more a universal rule). Don't be shocked if someone blasts past you either uphill or down - the locals are skilled and in some cases have crazy fitness.
    Good Riddance is shuttle-able, you just have to ride it a couple times to figure out if you want to finish the trail early for the short shuttle or go all the way into Fireman's Park in Bellevue - which means shuttling back down to the highway, back to the Frank Slide Int. Center road and going all the way back up.
    School of Rock isn't really a shuttle trail. Once the UROC.ca webpage has all the trails up, look to do School of Rock then Whistling Post. Yes, there you either have to start/finish with a couple KM of uphill gravel road (depending on where you park) but not enough to make shuttling worth while. The toughest climbing isn't drive-able and is long enough to put off most people who aren't on bikes that go up hills well.
    UROC has been doing a ton of work to push ahead with mapping trails - even the ones we were once quite afraid of publicizing (not for fear of "exposing secret trails" but to avoid potential liability - ride at your own risk and don't assume any of the technical features are in any way safe). Keep checking www.uroc.ca and please ride with respect and respect private property.

awesome, thank you so much. I will check the uroc page often and pray for sunshine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    i was bummed i missed the uroc showing of lifecycles a couple months ago...hope to find out more about them in the coming months

Members who have read this thread: 0