Conservatives win vote in Canada!!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Conservatives win vote in Canada!!!!

Congratulations to our brothers and sisters in Canada! Democracy in action!

Now, I hope the Canadian style conservative is nothing like the American style conservative, like for example, George Bush!

Bon Chance Canada!

Formerly DMR For Life
    well anything is better than the liberals bon voyage Paul have fun in the back benches where you banished so many people

DMR

Yummy
    The only thing keeping Stephen "Bush Lite" Harper from turning this country into a US annex is the fact that he's only got a minority. When this parliament dissolves (and it will, in less than 2 years), my great fear is that he might get a majority and change everything that makes this country great.

I'd much rather have Martin back in than some right-wing fundamentalist cowboy any day.

Kn.
    I used to be with it. Then, they changed what "it" is, and now what I'm with is no longer "it". And whatever "it" is, is strange and confusing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by K'Endo
    I'd much rather have Martin back in than some right-wing fundamentalist cowboy any day.
    I'm not going to pretend that Harper is perfect. But what has been so great about voting in lawyers from a province hell bent on seperation? Don't you think we've been lead by long enough by Quebec lawyers?

Formerly DMR For Life
    i think you making claims that you can't back up harper was preston mannings right hand man for quite a while...he has quite the mind for policies...and no i don't think we're going to become US Jr. but honestly things have to change around here...there really haven't been any changes in 12years...give me a break people...are you blind to the fact that not only are the conservative governments in this country the most profitable but everyone seems to want to move there

DMR

Sep 2005
    well its to bad that NPD didnt make it in but im soo glad that harper got in...i live in this god for saken province called QUEBEC but im from BC and im proud to be raised in van!!! neways this province blows and about the whole seperation thing its not a good thing cause quebec has good ressources so they should stay in canada but they should NEVER be allowed to govern this country they will alwais me minority!!!

- HAY HARPER!!!-

Yummy
    Quote Originally Posted by AscentCanada
    But what has been so great about voting in lawyers from a province hell bent on seperation? Don't you think we've been lead by long enough by Quebec lawyers?
    That's an incredibly sophistic argument. The liberals are hardly a Quebec party, they've always had significant representation in all provinces. The current conservative party, on the other hand is an Alberta party. They swept Alberta and got lots of seats in Sask, but are seriously under-represented in all other provinces. They have NO seats in any of the three major (pop 1 mill or more) cities - Montreal, Toronto or Vancouver.

You can't diss a party for being regional while supporting a party that's even more so.

As for the 'lawyers' ... well, who better to make laws than those who have worked with the law all their lives? There's a little too much generalization in your position.

Kn.
    I used to be with it. Then, they changed what "it" is, and now what I'm with is no longer "it". And whatever "it" is, is strange and confusing.

Yummy
    Quote Originally Posted by DMR For Life
    ..there really haven't been any changes in 12years...give me a break people...are you blind to the fact that not only are the conservative governments in this country the most profitable but everyone seems to want to move there

DMR
    "Everyone"? Hardly. The conservatives did NOT get a majority. If you tally up the popular vote, well over half went to 'left-leaning' parties - The liberals, ndp and green parties. So if Canadians want change, the vast majority want change toward more liberal, humanistic values and not Stephen Harper's kind of change, ie. bigger military, restricting reproductive freedom, giving religion a stronger voice in government, "Bush-style" tax cuts in a misguided attempt to stimulate the economy (it's been proven - it just plain doesn't work) and gutting the Canada Health Act to name a few.

Keep in mind that the cons (hmmm ... I like that, sounds about right) only got in as a backlash to Liberal corruption. But wait, the conservatives got booted out about 12 years ago because of their own corruption scandals under good ole Brian Mulroney!

Kn.

mtbr member

Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver

So what. I am not a conservative, my brother who lives in the US thinks I'm a liberal. I'm neither, but I am a Westerner who has lived coast to coast and it is about time that the West has more of a say.

The liberals base comes largely from Ontario and until recently Quebec. Why is it okay to have an Eastaern based government and not a Western?

I don't think we could possibly afford a federal NDP government. They have some good ideas but many have not been thought through to their logical conclusion.

The conservatives are still based largely on the Reform party But I believe that this will change over the next few years as more moderate conservatives become involved. This is our only hope to become a democracy again after a long Chretian dictatorship. The people need realistic choices not just 1 party that has a chance of forming a government.

The Green party really needs to replace the has been NDP as the conscience of Canada. Fiscally and environmentaly responsible has got to be the new way of doing business. If it dosn't make sense fiscally it will never work and if it's not environmentaly responsible then we're screwed long term.

We need to expect more of our government. They waste incredible amounts of time on what are in the big picture BS issues. I don't want to offend anyone but gay marriage took up months in parliament and dominated the headlines. In the meantime our CO2 and emissions kept on rising in spite of our signing on to Kyoto. 1 in give children are developing Asthma these days and pollution is a big cause. This is like cleaning your hose while it burns down.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

Future Rainbow Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by s.s.mayhem
    well its to bad that NPD didnt make it in but im soo glad that harper got in...i live in this god for saken province called QUEBEC but im from BC and im proud to be raised in van!!! neways this province blows and about the whole seperation thing its not a good thing cause quebec has good ressources so they should stay in canada but they should NEVER be allowed to govern this country they will alwais me minority!!!

- HAY HARPER!!!-
    Look, I'm liberal/progressive from the states and I don't know much about the players in your government. The bottom line from my perspective is this: when the time comes and the **** goes down, can my family and I still defect to Canada if need be? Does this election throw a monkey wrench for my emergency defection plans? Us libs in the states want to know.

Yummy
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
    Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver. So what.

I wholeheartedly agree with every one of your points, save one. Those three major cities make up 1/3 of the country's population. The house of commons is, by definition, representation by population, ie. meant to represent the common man.

Kn.

mtbr member

Big Cities

I believe that there is a tendancy of people in big cities to forget about the rest of the country.

To get back to biking, I'm hitting the trails here in Edmonton Single Speed Style this weekend.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

Formerly DMR For Life
    "Everyone"? Hardly. The conservatives did NOT get a majority. If you tally up the popular vote, well over half went to 'left-leaning' parties - The liberals, ndp and green parties. So if Canadians want change, the vast majority want change toward more liberal, humanistic values and not Stephen Harper's kind of change, ie. bigger military, restricting reproductive freedom, giving religion a stronger voice in government, "Bush-style" tax cuts in a misguided attempt to stimulate the economy (it's been proven - it just plain doesn't work) and gutting the Canada Health Act to name a few.
    gutting yeah right go read that one some time private health care is written right in there...and besides private isn't always bad ask anyone from any of the many euro countries (excluding the UK) about there health care system no wait list lower cost to government...comon theres better ways to do it...besides health care is provincial juristiction not federal the only reason the feds pay for it is because the provinces don't want to raise taxes and look like the bad guys

So you don't like the West ruling the country well lets put it this way Albertians have contributed the most per captia (by 3 or 4 times) to the rest of this country then the rest of the have provinces we have a right in this country to do with that money how we may see fit...yes the military needs to beable to get its self to the field and around in the field they need to have the equipment to do there jobs on the ground..comon' green camo in a desert enviroment...

and wait what in the world is reproductive freedom...having sex with who you want?

DMR

Yummy
    Quote Originally Posted by DMR For Life
    and wait what in the world is reproductive freedom...having sex with who you want?

DMR
    How old are you? Your writing and knowledge of the issues suggests about sixteen, max. Do you even know how to use Google?

Check it out: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...om&btnG=Search

Your grade school teachers have it wrong. There is such a thing as a stupid question. It's a question to which you haven't even tried to figure out the answer with the tools at hand.

Kn.

Formerly DMR For Life
    your not acting much older my friend....i asked a question...sorry you don't like it i don't care

abortion...I don't agree with it...but I don't make the laws and can't say what harper will do.

now if you have something useful to add to the debate then do but don't call me names and question my age...i may be young but that isn't a reason to bash me (i'm not as young as you seem to think)

DMR

Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggurat22
    Look, I'm liberal/progressive from the states and I don't know much about the players in your government. The bottom line from my perspective is this: when the time comes and the **** goes down, can my family and I still defect to Canada if need be? Does this election throw a monkey wrench for my emergency defection plans? Us libs in the states want to know.
    well its not gona be easy but shure ... its not because Harper made it in that canada is gona becaume a second USA ( no offence to the stats) but yall can come up and freeze your asses up to canada anyday the only thing that harper is gona change for the next 2 years is (-less street gangs,- and try to make canada a better place to live and make it look good) dont listen to the liberal publicities ( there juste pissed that they wont govern us for the next 4 years witch would make them like 16years in a row!) and harper is also minority so ya man no probs canada is still safe and awesome

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    That's an incredibly sophistic argument. The liberals are hardly a Quebec party, they've always had significant representation in all provinces. The current conservative party, on the other hand is an Alberta party. They swept Alberta and got lots of seats in Sask, but are seriously under-represented in all other provinces. They have NO seats in any of the three major (pop 1 mill or more) cities - Montreal, Toronto or Vancouver.

You can't diss a party for being regional while supporting a party that's even more so.

As for the 'lawyers' ... well, who better to make laws than those who have worked with the law all their lives? There's a little too much generalization in your position.

Kn.
    My reply was to this incredibly sophistic generalized statement

Kn.
    I feel that the Liberals have gotten arrogant and sloppy in leading this country. The sponsership scandal is proof of this. The liberals need a reality check and need to know there are consequenses. The last few leaders have been from Quebec so its nice to have some western representation. I don't think Harper is the best leader. I think he is what held the conservatives back from a majority government. The best outcome from this is that the Liberals are finding a new leader for their party. Maybe next election will have someone worth voting for rather than voting based on who you don't want in.

Big Test Icycles
    Bump!
    Last edited by Hangtime; 01-31-2006 at 03:00 PM.

Future Rainbow Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac1911
    By all means go to Canada, PLEASE go to Canada. They love the libs up there. I left in the mid '90s for the USA for better employment oppertunities and have not EVER looked back. Go ahead friend, take all you friends as well, pick a real good provence that has PST on top of the GST, not to mention about $4 to $5 a gallon for gas. You wont be making any more that you do here in the USA at what ever you do now.

People who say that they want to leave the USA for somewhere else should take a long hard look at what they have in this country first. Do you think Canada is all milk and honey with no crime, no pollution, free love all over the place, free medical. It's not. I grew up in Conservative Alberta and left just before Ralph took over. Canada is a beautiful country and have some of the best people in the world who will stand up for what they believe in. They are one of our clostes allies and will go to war with us at the drop of a hat. Canada does not need cowards like you who do not want to stand at fight when the **** goes down, as you say, you should try France.....

As you put it, you dont know much about the Canadian Government....Well put..But go..we need less people like you in the USA.
    Way to attack a poster as your first post on freaking mountain biking forum. Lighten up Francis. Being American doesn't mean you have to be so uptight. I've taken a long look and I don't like the direction my country is taking. Hopefully this nightmare of an administration will be over in two years and I won't have to actually consider such drastic measures.

Once again, kudos on a brilliant first post.

Feb 2004
    You should come to Canada. I think you might find that the "American Dream" is the Canadian reality.

I'd tell you to come to Toronto but a nice home is pretty unaffordable and the air quality is not acceptable during the summer months. We had a record of around 60 smog days last year. Some of the pollution is from the cars and the few reamaining coal fired plants we have but much is blowing up from the States.

If you're considering Ontario at all, Kingston, Peterborough, and Barrie would be good places to consider. Here in Ontario, we're quite the consumption pigs though, similar to the U.S. I wish we would be more green like places in B.C.

Yea, if you didn't notice, I voted for the Green Party. They make the most sense when you really think about it...

cheers,
    Ryan

Dec 2007
    The only thing keeping Stephen "Bush Lite" Harper from turning this country into a US annex is the fact that he's only got a minority. When this parliament dissolves (and it will, in less than 2 years), my great fear is that he might get a majority and change everything that makes this country great.

Kn.
    ha ha necro bump...looks like this minority will go on for quite a while longer
    followed by a majority Dion what a waste of skin

The Liberals will have a leadership convention before you see another election....if they can pay their bills first ...when Harper sues their ass in court over the Cadman lies the Liberals may be defunct...maybe the tories can garnishee any funds they raise in the future because they are already broke.

EMBA Board member
    OK wow, never thought I'd begetting into the thick of a politicle argument on a biking forum that did not mention ...Bikes,Trails, or enviromental protection related to them.

First and Formost I am a proud canadian! but I'm not proud of of Government. Voter turn out in the last Alb Election was at an all time low and the Librals actualy did not get enough seats to get party status. Even though A lot of people voted for them. Because first past the post does not work.

All partys need to be represented so there can be open constructive discusion in the house. About things that matter. The conservatives and librals both are in the busness of government as busness. That means they answer to the money and the money is not protecting the Enviroment or you and me the little people.

I am Ashamed to live in a province where Every seat went to the conservatives fedaraly. the greens and the ND's have some Envirmental produnce at least. they need to be represented. I don't think our interests as Cycalists will not be promoted by Conservatives or Librals. Alberta big oil is why Alberta is making money and it's only making the rich richer, this is not a reason to say the west should rule canada. The conservatives and librals have been in power for two long. It's time change came from a party that has never been in power before.

Dec 2007
    The number 1 highway never closes...don't let the door hit you in the Ass on the way out. BTW why is it in a province that apparently has so many upset and POed people at the present government the NDP and the Liberals actually lost votes from the previous election? yes they went down even though the population of Alberta had increased by200 000!

They couldn't even get their core supporters to turn up at the polls...poor leadership thats why and not an alternative to the present government, which gained 80 000 votes since the previous election...go check the stats.
    The Libs are still an official party the NDP are not ..less than 2 seats

A majority is next for the Federal conservatives why...Dion is not a Leader and Jack is a joke.

Dec 2006
    WTF as a US person thinking of moving to someplace more lets say intelligent than the average US citizen. Why on earth would Canadians ever vote Conservative? can't they see what 'conservatives' have done to the US... well IMHO US was screwed from the beginning but that aside there seems to be no reason on my part that Canada needs 'conservatives'
    Iam pretty much a seasonal resident of Canada at the moment but dang if 'conservatives' move into Parliament I'll have to find another Graduate school

Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by elgeneralsv
    WTF as a US person thinking of moving to someplace more lets say intelligent than the average US citizen. Why on earth would Canadians ever vote Conservative? can't they see what 'conservatives' have done to the US... well IMHO US was screwed from the beginning but that aside there seems to be no reason on my part that Canada needs 'conservatives'
    Iam pretty much a seasonal resident of Canada at the moment but dang if 'conservatives' move into Parliament I'll have to find another Graduate school
    A Canadian conservative is not the same as an American conservative, the word Conservative should not even be used in Canada. The US democrats are a bunch of right wing lunatics compared to Canadian Conservatives. You should do some homework. A Canadian Liberal would be a leftwing socialist in the US.

If you 're a seasonal resident of Canada you haven't been paying attention have you?. The Conservatives have been running the show in Parliament for the last 2 and half years.

The strongest provincial economies are also run by Conservative governments while the Liberal ones are faltering.

Graduate school? I think you need to start from scratch

BTW.. the present governor of Alaska would be considered a right wing nut case in most of Canada.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rollr8t
    A Canadian conservative is not the same as an American conservative, the word Conservative should not even be used in Canada. The US democrats are a bunch of right wing lunatics compared to Canadian Conservatives. You should do some homework. A Canadian Liberal would be a leftwing socialist in the US.

If you 're a seasonal resident of Canada you haven't been paying attention have you?. The Conservatives have been running the show in Parliament for the last 2 and half years.

The strongest provincial economies are also run by Conservative governments while the Liberal ones are faltering.

Graduate school? I think you need to start from scratch

BTW.. the present governor of Alaska would be considered a right wing nut case in most of Canada.
    Yep, so true.

Dec 2006
    yea no sierra hotel india tango fsrxc I don't like to talk bad about people but I stopped going to Canada around mid 2004 I thought Canada conservatives were at least alittle smarter or alot more educated than ours but as long as the city I go to has Critical Mass I should do fine... I just heard someone say conservatives are becoming more.... 'American' and thought Holy foxtrot uniform charlie kilo but yea as long as mass transit stays good and bikes are still breezy awesome Canada will be cool in my view. I have been paying attention recently like the past few months... I was aware of conservatives running parliament but as I said I heard from an insider that Canada was becoming more 'American' which is scary! Why are the liberal ones faltering? eh who cares I just want a nice place to ride that doesn't think US is King of the World... Peace happy trails how did politics make it into bike riding anyways?

Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by elgeneralsv
    yea no sierra hotel india tango fsrxc I don't like to talk bad about people but I stopped going to Canada around mid 2004 I thought Canada conservatives were at least alittle smarter or alot more educated than ours but as long as the city I go to has Critical Mass I should do fine... I just heard someone say conservatives are becoming more.... 'American' and thought Holy foxtrot uniform charlie kilo but yea as long as mass transit stays good and bikes are still breezy awesome Canada will be cool in my view. I have been paying attention recently like the past few months... I was aware of conservatives running parliament but as I said I heard from an insider that Canada was becoming more 'American' which is scary! Why are the liberal ones faltering? eh who cares I just want a nice place to ride that doesn't think US is King of the World... Peace happy trails how did politics make it into bike riding anyways?

An insider? you mean some socialist wingnut? thats what they all say or maybe you were referring to the CBC Canadian Bs Company
    The Liberals are faltering because they are a bunch of lying cheating thieves , lookup ADSCAM....the second reason DION

Why does this thread exist..... I just did the necro

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rollr8t
    An insider? you mean some socialist wingnut? thats what they all say or maybe you were referring to the CBC Canadian Bs Company
    The Liberals are faltering because they are a bunch of lying cheating thieves , lookup ADSCAM....the second reason DION

Why does this thread exist..... I just did the necro
    I have to disagree on the CBC, I'll take their objective news coverage over the Reuters-fed networks any day. They actually do expose's where they actually investigate both sides (like the "other" side in Iraq).

Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    I have to disagree on the CBC, I'll take their objective news coverage over the Reuters-fed networks any day. They actually do expose's where they actually investigate both sides (like the "other" side in Iraq).

objective? try subjective..bunch of liars got caught red handed recently

http://www.thehilltimes.ca/html/inde...&display=story

"After the CBC admitted that its reporter, Krista Erickson, provided questions to Mr. Rodriguez (Honoré-Mercier, Que.) when he questioned former prime minister Brian Mulroney in December, Conservative MP Dean Del Mastro (Peterborough, Ont.) introduced a motion at the committee last week to call Mr. Rodriguez as a witness in order for him to "admit that he lied."

Do you tune in every Sunday morning to get your fill of Anti-American BS?

Members who have read this thread: 0