coming to Banff in late August, looking for good trails- Mtbr.com

Jan 2005

coming to Banff in late August, looking for good trails

I'm coming up from Utah with my wife. We are interested in the trails around Banff. Nothing too crazy, maybe a ride around a lake with rolling terrain. Any recommended books, maps or shops to give directions? Any good shuttle runs or paid shuttle service. Don't laugh, this is my first trip to Canada, I promise to try an learn the language.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    "mountain biking in the canadian rockies" great book, few years old, but still has most stuff.

Lake Minniwanka. (single track, out and back)

stoney sqway, up road, down singlerack (fast, easy DH) upper stoney sqway = steeper.

in lake louise ross lake, and moraine lake highline.
    nothing for shuttles, more XC ish,
    for chair lifts, panorama, fernie, COP, kicking horse.
    good ski/bike deals at www.mntlion.com

My life is better than your vacation.

mtbr member
    You might also want to go just outside of banff and up to the canmore nordic center for a day. There is a map of all the singletrack at http://www.trailsports.ab.ca/trail_map.htm

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Check these out:

http://tpr.alberta.ca/parks/kananask...y_Brochure.pdf

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/banff/activ/activ2_e.pdf

Two thumbs up on the Minnewanka ride. If possible go on a weekday to avoid the hiking crowds. For a nice long day you could also do the ride around Mount Rundle (Goat Creek one way, Rundle Riverside back the other), it's a long ride with ~8km of rough single track, the rest is mostly double track or old forest road.

Shuttle runs? There's no shuttle services, but you can run shuttle for the Reclaimer and Riders of Rohan in Canmore, shutting on Stoney Squaw is possible but discouraged (ride up the road instead). Moose Mountain has a number of shuttle options but is ~1.5 hours away near Bragg Creek. There's ski hill riding at Panorama and Kicking Horse resorts (~2 hours away) and shutting on Mount Seven in Golden (~2 hours). Shutting and ski hill riding in the national parks is prohibited, hence the long drives for that type of riding.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Minnewanka is exactly what you are looking for in a rolling, lakeside trail. Super fun.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Just hit a local bike store or MEC and pick up Doug Eastcott book:
    "Backcountry Biking in the Canadian Rockies".
    Or as some call it the bible.

Then your set!
    Have fun.
    One of the best trails books you will ever pick up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    If your willing to make the drive Jasper is just 3 hours up the road fro Banff I just got back from a couple rides there yesterday and wow beautiful views and everything you need from challenging and crazy to nice and easy rolling. They have great maps available in pamphlets all over town or just go hit up one of the bike shops and they can recommend one that will be on your skill level. Best part about Jasper is most rides can be started right from the townsite and they are all fairly easy to follow with trail maps and markers at almost every intersection.

Trail number 7 up to the Maligne canyon is a nice easy roller with some amazing views of the canyon and the fast flowing mountain stream that carved this thing very cool little ride.

If your looking for soething more challenging I also rode the Five Lakes Loop it has some tough uphills and rewarding downhills but its more of a technical ride but again the views are amazing.

Anyways hope this helps if you feel like making the trek a little farther north!

Members who have read this thread: 0