Classic BC rides (Kamloops, Revelstoke, Golden)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Classic BC rides (Kamloops, Revelstoke, Golden)

BC folks,

Heading up to BC in two weeks from Colorado. Was looking through this forum and on www.nsmba.bc.ca and other sites for where to ride and I don't think I am any further along in figuring this out. There are just so many sweet sounding places.

I will be in BC for 10 days. Spending one day sea kayaking sunshine coast. Then plan on hitting Whistler to ride lifts for a day. Then heading to the western edge of Banff NP.

Along the way to Banff NP and back I would like to get a couple days of trail riding in (mix of x-country and light freeride). Plan on driving through Kamloops, Golden, Revelstoke but would be open to a detour for some good riding.

Looking for suggestions on the classic must-do rides in BC. Which area(s) would be best along this route? Any specific trail areas/networks? I found this book
    Wondering if it might be useful.

Any suggestions are much appreciated. I know that there is tons of riding but send your thoughts my way and I can file through everything and try to figure it out.

Thanks in advance. Stoked on visiting BC.

PS-Camping suggestions around Whistler would be good. From other posts it sounds like Squamish is the best bet.
    Yield to downhill

mtbr member
    The book is a bit stale.

There's months of riding along your route.

In Kamloops, Harper Mtn is a lot of fun. There's a fair amount of good DH/FR riding. Not so much on the XC side of things. It's OK XC riding, just not spectacular like some other areas. Full Boar Bikes on Seymour St downtown is the place to go for the beta.

For the best XC experience, go to Tyax (Gold Bridge) north of Whistler/west of Lillooet. It really doesn't get any better.

There's a bunch of cool trails in the Shuswap, between Chase and Sicamous. Maps and details at http://www.shuswaptrails.com/

Revy is better XC than FR. Keystone Standard is exceptional. Ther's also Martha Sale, and the Mt McPherson trails. Skookum Cycle in town has directions to everything.

Golden is a bit haggard now, but Mt 7 for freeride, Moonraker for XC. Mt 7 is eroded now, Moonraker is a bit small. It's in a good place to bang out a ride though.

The Okanagan Valley has about 10 days worth of excellent riding, and Silverstar is a great bike park. Especially if you like berms. XC and FR galore. Call me if you want the hookup.

Look into Pemby for camping. It's a bit closer to Whistler than Squamish. You don't need to pay to camp, just head 'er up a forest service road and park. Squamish gets the edge on the riding though. Pemby gets too dry in the summer.

West of Banff NP is Yoho NP and Kootenay NP. I'm not sure that you're allowed to ride anything other than lame gravel path there. Scenic, yes, challenging....? Not so much.

You sure you're going to the right place? Jumping Pound/Cox Hill is east of Banff, and is highly recommended.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    That book is pure crap.

Lots of threads on this already. Look at threads by zinger-uk

Smoke- sent some people your way for Sept 20th. Got them pumped about Merritt but looked at old pictures of mine from TKO and I still think its a waste of vert. Hope the fire burns out soon for you, Barb and the kidlet
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Thanks Lee.

Fires are basically out. A bit of lower McDougall got toasty, but it's not a big deal. Powers is fine. Unfortunately, our house in Glenrosa was completely unscathed. I wouldn't have minded a new one....

TKO is in Oliver, not Merritt. It's still follows the shallowest grade from the top of the mtn, and we have yet to beat the shuttle truck to the bottom. I'm sure it can be done, we just haven't yet.

Merritt is better than it used to be. I haven't ridden it in a long time, and it's def. better than it was. I'll have to romp over there again for another session. Only got a couple laps down, I'd like to ride all four man lines in a day next time. At only 3200' a run, it's not as big as some others, but it does take a while to drop.

mtbr member
    JS you rock. That was a huge help.
    Yield to downhill

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    For camping in Whistler, Riverside campground is great and super-central. If you can't get in there, the Alice Lake campground just outside of Squamish is beautiful and rddled with XC trails.

If you are an XC rider, you should definitely ride Comfortably Numb (long) and River Runs Through It (short) in Whistler as well as the park, and check out the Pemberton and Squamish trails too. For LBS referrals, Pemberton Bike Co. in Pemberton, Wild Willies in Whistler (right across from riverside campground for everything except dh, go to Summit for that) and Tantalus in Squamish (Corsa good also but a little snooty IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySmoke
    Squamish gets the edge on the riding though. Pemby gets too dry in the summer.
    When will you be here? everything is super dry right now, right down to the north shore.

mtbr member
    I will be in BC Aug 6-Aug 15

I am used to dry conditions as most of the riding along the Front Range in Colorado is really dry most of the year.

Guessing I will be mixing it up with one day of DH (lifts), one day of x-country, and one day of light freeride. At least that is my hope.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Are those XC trails near Whistler that you mentioned in the Whistler Guidebook?
    Yield to downhill

mtbr member
    River Runs Through It is right in the village. It's a unique trail that's got a zillion stunts built in it. a definite must do for anyone visiting Whistler.

Comfortably Numb is also referred to as "Uncomfortable Bum". The first part to Young Lust is superb, the rest of it is a bit repetetive. A really cool option is to ride Thrill Me, Kill Me first, then just do the first part of the Numb and exit via Young Lust. That's a pretty big day for anyone not used to the overwhelming technical aspect of Whistler.

These are all in the Whistler Guidebook and on the TerraPro map.

Members who have read this thread: 0