CAUTION - West Bragg Creek - Reports of Strung Wire Injuring Bikers- Mtbr.com
    high pivot witchcraft

CAUTION - West Bragg Creek - Reports of Strung Wire Injuring Bikers

CAUTION - West Bragg Creek - Reports of Strung Wire Injuring Bikers-fullsizeoutput_15.jpg

high pivot witchcraft
    Update:

Mountain biker injured by barbed wire on trail near Bragg Creek | CTV Calgary News

Two riders were involved. The lead rider was standing while descending and got clotheslined at the base of his neck by barbed wife strung across the trail. It threw him from his bike and he landed on a rock, losing consciousness and sustaining injuries to his liver and lower back. They removed the wire, left his bike there and made their way out of the trail to the trail head, and to the hospital. His bike was subsequently stolen from the trail where they had left it.

Looks like he will be okay, thankfully.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Shitty situation all around

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    As someone posted about an unrelated item today, "Another reason to hate people."

Boy there are some real morons out there. I recall bike trails near BC were sabotaged in a similar way. Luckily the woman was caught. People in Ontario have found wire strung across legal snowmobile trails. Luckily nobody was hurt.

I hope the lead rider recovers fully and it's probably the suspect that stole the bike.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

high pivot witchcraft
    I also have a more current thread in the "General" forum. Here is a short update...

Calgary cyclist's neck sliced by barbed wire strung across trail - Calgary - CBC News

The biker had a chihuahua in his pack. He was also riding a 2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR. I had the same bike, albeit a 1999ish model. It was a death trap. THE worst bike I have owned in well over 2 decades. If the geo of his FSR was anywhere near as steep as mine, there may be some poetic justice coming once the thief tries to blast down anything steep and/or gnarly.

Anyway, the fact that he was carrying a chihuahua in his pack and riding that bike, leads me to believe that he may not have been maching the trail he was on, which may have saved his life. Depending what trail it was, I suspect that anyone blasting it WFO, chihuahua-less, on a slacker geo steed, could have been cleanly decapitated. The speed restrictions that may have been inherent in the geo of that bike, combined with his chihuahua in his pack, may very well have saved his life.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    In the other thread I commented on how I (and some others) are starting to have a lot of questions about this incident.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

The trail n question is pretty much a dedicated mtn bike trail built by a group of dedicated mtn bikers, so it is hard to imagine it being a result of a trail conflict.
    2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt BC Edition
    2017 Rocky Mountain Blizzard -50
    2015 Giant Fastroad

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Mtn View Post
    In the other thread I commented on how I (and some others) are starting to have a lot of questions about this incident.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

The trail n question is pretty much a dedicated mtn bike trail built by a group of dedicated mtn bikers, so it is hard to imagine it being a result of a trail conflict.
    RM - I agree. I responded to your post in the other thread in the General subforum. Like I said there, if this turns out to be fabricated, he may be in deep $hit, having dragged the RCMP and media into this.

LCW
    mtbr member

Santa Cruz Hightower LT

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    2015 Giant Fastroad

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Mtn View Post
    "The report filed with police said the wire was about six-and-a-half to seven feet up from the ground, strung between two trees, and knocked the victim to the ground."

Uh, how tall IS this guy that his neck would be six-and-a-half to seven feet up from the ground when riding a bike?

So I wonder what the hell did happen to his neck. He hurt himself somehow then hatched this plan to get $?
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Interesting turn...

Santa Cruz Hightower LT

9 lives
    Report from NSMB. The story is sketchy

https://nsmb.com/articles/barbed-wir...reek-incident/
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    ^ the whole story was made up. This idiot picked one of the busiest trails outside of calgary to pull this stunt.

He claimed it happened around 8 - as per strava there were lots of riders on this trail around this time.

The rider claimed he took down the wire, disposed of it and left his bike and walked back to his car. It would be at least a 6k walk, so why would you leave your bike?

Buddy had a profile on Facebook, but he has now gone into hiding.
    2015 Giant Fastroad

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    This guy made the whole thing up to scam money out of ppl. He is now getting charged with filing a fraudulent police report

mtbr member
    Oct 2016

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by revrnd View Post
    fify
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.