Cassiar Highway Question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

New question here. Cassiar Highway Question

I just got back to Ontario from a trip up to the Yukon. Unfortunately for me there was no riding involved However when we drove down the Cassiar Highway from the Yukon to Cranberry Jct., we passed about 6 cyclists. 2 may have been travelling together, but they were about a km apart. We passed 1 chap on a 30km stretch of muddy potholed gravel.

To me riding out in the middle of nowhere where there is little in the way of services (contrary to what your GPS may show) and sporadic vehicular traffic isn't the safest way to spend a vacation.

Has anyone done this ride or known someone who did?

We saw a few cyclists (roadies) on the Alaska highway west of Watson Lake to Tok, AK, but none south towards Dawson Creek. Also, 1 lone soul about halfway to Dawson on the Klondike Highway.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    there was actually a feloow this year who rode a downhill bike from Ottawa all the way to Whistler BC. No support vehicles or anything. Carried all his own gear and rode all the way right across Canada. Now is that wise...to him it was.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Bigger than you'd think...

Check this out.

http://www.bowcycle.com/sports/funat...eam/index.html

I'm not sure where his is on his ride. But I figured it out to achieve his goal he will have to average 208 km / day.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AscentCanada
    Check this out.

http://www.bowcycle.com/sports/funat...eam/index.html

I'm not sure where his is on his ride. But I figured it out to achieve his goal he will have to average 208 km / day.
    At least he has someone else out there w/ him. On the Cassiar a support vehicle would be quite noticeable as there is very little traffic compared to the Alaska Highway.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    There used to be a few mining towns along the Cassiar Hwy, but some of the mines have been shut down and people moved away. That has to be one of the most desolate stretches of roadway I've ever seen. A person would have to be well prepared even to drive it in a reliable automobile. Riding it on a bicycle could make for an interesting adventure.

Don't worry, be happy!
    sounds like it would be a cool tour, we drove it up and back on our way to Whitehorse a few years ago for a river trip on the Tashenshini-alsek. Talk about spectacular!
    some pics here, no biking content.

http://www.cet.com/~pennys/tat/tat.htm

formica