Calgary riding- Mtbr.com

Thread: Calgary riding

mtbr member
    May 2006

Calgary riding

Hi, I've just arrived in Calgary from Australia and wondering if anyone is interested in going for rides around town and trips out of town? I've followed suggestions and found some single track at Bowmount and further west on the other side of the river at the bridge crossing and some better stuff at Edworthy Park this morning. My mate and I went out to Fish Creek but didn't know that the single track was on the Western part. I'm discovering new trails every ride, so don't know what I'm missing out on along the river. There seems to be little pockets of trails in every forested area. If anyone has a loop they'd like to share please email me [email protected] or PM.

I'm a sports level XC racer and am just getting back on the bike again after 3 months off travelling and would like to get back into racing shape. Part of that would be to ride with some local racers. Other threads have mentioned Deadgoat as a club to ride with for this. I'm also interested in riding with locals who know the trails just for fun too.

I'm not working at the moment so would be up for out of town riding any time. I'm surprised I haven't seen more XC riders on the trails over the last week.

Cheers

Vang

Jul 2009
    Have you tried Nose Hill yet? There isn't anything that is all too challenging, but it's a pretty good fitness ride if you want to push yourself.

Outside of the city, Bragg Creek is a good place to start. Easy to find the trailheads, lots of signs to reassure you that you aren't lost. Sulpher Springs for example is used for a few races and provides a pretty good intermediate fitness/technical challenge

Also, I can't recommend this book highly enough. It details over 200 backcountry rides in Alberta and BC.

http://www.rmbooks.com/books/easbac.htm

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yep, that book is what you need. Unfortunately I don't know much about the racing scene.

As a means to meet other bikers, this is a very active club that does all activities (free to join):
    http://www.calgaryoutdoorclub.com/

There is also an active thread topic for trail conditions here:
    http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listco.../?threadid=246
    Lots of people in that thread can answer questions about specific trails or maybe even show you around.

Also check out:
    http://www.mmbts.com/
    Mostly DH/FR oriented, but some XC stuff and other good info.

If you don't mind a slower pace with my gf and I, I'm sure we could show you around a couple loops.

Steve

Off the back...
    There is also the Calgary Mountain Bike Alliance, although we are mostly about trail building right now. That Pinkbike link posted above is THE source for current trail conditions. Local cycling clubs like Deadgoat can also get you riding.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for the info and links. I got the Backcountry Biking book and Canadian Rockies, by Ward Cameron which has a table of contents by region and also sorts rides by special interests eg. single track rides.

I got out to Kanaaskis country on the weekend and hit up Pairie Creek, Powder face, Tom Snow and Sulpur Springs and am blown away by the riding. I can't wait to get back out there to do the Jumpingpound trail because I ran out of time to do it.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I've seen Nose Hill on the road and checked it out on Google Maps, but it doesn't look like it has any good single track. Is it just mainly straight walking paths? Which end of park has the best mtb trails?

Jul 2009
    Give yourself lots of time for Jumpingpound/Cox Hill. Get out there early in the morning and make a day of it. It's a tough ride to the top but once there, the views worth stopping for.

I'd also recommend doing a shuttle, leaving one car at the Dawson trailhead. I know the book says you can ride up, but 20Km on a gravel road isn't a whole lot of fun when you're really looking for some singletrack.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    There's plenty of singletrack on Nose Hill. Nothing really exciting, but there are a few nice sections to be found. Most of the interesting trail is around the escarpment (the perimeter of the park). The middle of the hill is pretty much just a big flat area.

Members who have read this thread: 0