Calgary Riders - Anybody tried FishCreek, Bowmont yet this season?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Calgary Riders - Anybody tried FishCreek, Bowmont yet this season?

Was wondering if anyone tried any of the in-town trails - FishCreek, Bowmont, Nose Hill - this season.

I'm finishing my build probably next week and I'll probably be dying to get it out somewhere.

C'mon guys! Who's been out already?
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

mtbr member
    I live one minute from fish creek. it's really really muddy and with most of the bridges gone crossing the creek gets pretty cold. I heard that bowmont was getting shut down. and I hear nose hill is pretty good. so nose hill is probaly your best bet for now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I rode Bowmont last Sunday, and it was drying out pretty well. Some sheltered spots were still muddy (and the mud is the sticky grey stuff).

After today, though, all bets are off, probably take a good week of sun to dry it out again.

Fish Creek wasn't too bad over the winter, since there was enough ice to cross the creek between bridges (at select spots), but will be a challenge now until they replace the bridges (not sure the timelines on that)

mtbr member
    fish creek is going to be building the new pathways and bridges starting this summer and there are to be done by the summer/fall of 2007. here is a link.http://www.cd.gov.ab.ca/enjoying_alb...Feb%202006.pdf

What are you looking at?

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by hizzity
    fish creek is going to be building the new pathways and bridges starting this summer and there are to be done by the summer/fall of 2007. here is a link.http://www.cd.gov.ab.ca/enjoying_alb...Feb%202006.pdf
    Their building lots of single track... that should be fun.

If you know the right ways you can still get from one end of the park to the other without getting your feet wet.

thanks for posting
    Orange Heckler

Blue Pinscher

mtbr member
    well what they are doing is taking all of the singletrack there and making them legal trails. and no new trails are to be built. I have been able to get around pretty good now with out getting my feet wet. I live right close to voire flats off elbow. there is one bridge that is still together on the west side of mcloud. and it is paved trail, once past that head west towards the voire flats area and just after there is some monument thingey that is all medal and stuff there is a paved trail that goes up the hill, take that and then as soon as you get to the top go right and just follow the trail along the house right beside the cainlink fence. and you can ride along that trail for a long ways, there are lots of off trails that will take you down the hill to the good trails. and if you can't get past a washed out bridge just head up the hill again and keep on the trail till your past the wash out and then burn back down and have some fun.

mtbr member

lately

Hey hizzity.

Have you checked out Fishcreek lately?

Suppose it's better with the nice weather and all.

Let us know.
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ro.nin
    Hey hizzity.

Have you checked out Fishcreek lately?

Suppose it's better with the nice weather and all.

Let us know.
    I rode Fish Creek past Sunday. There are some muddy spots in the trees and low areas, but all the hills are pretty well dry. Having almost no bridges is a challenge, but we start at 24st parking, ride west to the bridge near 37st, then along the south side from there.

Watch for downed trees, slides covering what used to be trails, etc.

mtbr member
    fish creek is pretty good. I have been going almost every night. and there is a couple little areas where there is mud but it isn't bad at all. it is a bit harder to get around with out some of the bridges but there are ways around it just means you have to ride up and down out of the valley alot more.

mtbr member

Pedalhead

Apparently, the Pedalhead guys checked it ou too - and it seems ok.
    They're gonna start the group rides next week I think... yay!

Anybody interested - the group rides are on Wednesdays, at 6 o'clock usually.
    There's nothing concrete yet.

Anybody interested - give them a call on Monday, Tuesday at 403.261.1921

Group rides are fun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ro.nin
    Apparently, the Pedalhead guys checked it ou too - and it seems ok.
    They're gonna start the group rides next week I think... yay!

Anybody interested - the group rides are on Wednesdays, at 6 o'clock usually.
    There's nothing concrete yet.

Anybody interested - give them a call on Monday, Tuesday at 403.261.1921

Group rides are fun!
    where do they meet?

mtbr member
    It's either at the shop (MacLeod and Anderson) or in Fishcreek.
    I will post something as soon as I find out.

Last year there was a waiver to be signed - download it off of their website, which is not working now... So I don;t know about that. The waiver basically said that if you're gonna break your neck riding it's not their fault...

I'll call them on Monday and post something.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I rode Bowmont and Nosehill recently. Both are in pretty good shape with a couple of muddy patches.

I haven't been to Fish Creek yet, but it is usually still muddy this time of year. Several of the bridges are out of commission as well.

Feb 2004
    That document also talks about cyclists are now being limited to designated pathways only...

I wonder when the tree cops are gonna start ticketing???

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazoo
    That document also talks about cyclists are now being limited to designated pathways only...

I wonder when the tree cops are gonna start ticketing???
    Isn't it designated "trails"?

The optimistic interpretation is - they will "designate" all existing trails (including singletrack), so nothing will suddenly become illegal, just no creating new trails allowed.

It may not work out that way though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc

The optimistic interpretation is ...
    Hehe. You are right. That's the optimistic interpretation.

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    Isn't it designated "trails"?

The optimistic interpretation is - they will "designate" all existing trails (including singletrack), so nothing will suddenly become illegal, just no creating new trails allowed.

It may not work out that way though.

My read is that the only "designated trails" will be the paved, shale, and the one "created" singletrack", all other singletrack will be off limits

mtbr member
    ever trail will now become designated trails and no new singletrack to be made. will it work? probaly not but I am pretty sure all of the singletrack that is there will stay unless the park people think it is unsafe or some other bs.

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hizzity
    ever trail will now become designated trails and no new singletrack to be made. will it work? probaly not but I am pretty sure all of the singletrack that is there will stay unless the park people think it is unsafe or some other bs.

That makes more sense than my interpretation.

mtbr member

Pedalhead group ride

So, the Pedalhead guys are starting the group rides this Wednesday.

Meeting place is at the store at 6.30. It'd be good to be there 15 minutes before.
    (waiver signing etc)

Here's the address:

12100 MacLeod Trl SE, Calgary, AB, Canada

Woo hoo. Let the fun begin!

Members who have read this thread: 0