Calgary Riders- Mtbr.com

Thread: Calgary Riders

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Calgary Riders

I haven't spent much time on MTBR for a couple years and I noticed there seems to be more Calgary people on here now. My wife and I do a lot of XC and DH all over alberta and BC and are always looking for people to ride with...in particular other couples. We're mid-twenties professionals that are tired of riding with a bunch of teenage guys that never chip in for gas or show up on time. Is there anyone else on here that rides with their wife/gf around calgary on weeknights? We generally ride bragg creek, kananaskis and those types of areas after work. Some favorite trails are powderface, baldy pass, barrier lookout, jumpingpound etc. We typically go further on the weekends and ride Fernie (XC and DH), golden and those types of areas.

If nothing else, watch out for us on the trails. I ride an apple green heckler with a fox 36 and my wife rides an orange superlight with a black on it. For DH she rides a grey bullit with a super t and floating brake and I ride a black VP-Free with a fox 40.

mtbr member

Hey Gary.

I do ride the same areas as you do. Not the DH stuff though.
    I don't ride with the SO, as she thinks it's too much adrenaline for her...

But yeah, till the sticky stuff dries out - I think we can put together a pretty nice group.
    Make it a weekly-biweekly MTBR ride.

Course, me being slow - I'd like to see some other slow people jumping on...

Whaddayasay? should we start a post and ask the moderator to make it sticky?
    See what comes out of it?

Hahaha. We can do the rides on Mondays. So we can start actually looking forward for Mondays.

Let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sure, I'm always up for a group ride...provides more motivation. I have some other commitments and some other groups I'm trying to weasel my way into but tuesday/thusday works the best for a regular ride. Monday wednesdays would be okay ocasionaly though. I'm by no means a racer but I've managed to stay in pretty good shape over the winter so hopefully I will be good to go early. It would be nice to get some women out so my wife doesn't have to endure more 5 guy, one girl rides.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I wouldn't mind riding with a group occasionally either, Wednesday or Monday are best for me (sorry, no GF though, so I'm not helping the guy/girl balance).

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Im game pretty much any day of the week after 5:00 for in city(nosehill/bowmont etc.) or bragg/kcountry rides or any time on weekends.

my woman is available most days of the week and on weekends. she also rides with a girls club 1 or 2 days a week.

we both ride xc and dh.

send me an email if anyone wants to set up a ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey Metacycle, check your PM's (or enable email).

Quote Originally Posted by metacycle
    Im game pretty much any day of the week after 5:00 for in city(nosehill/bowmont etc.) or bragg/kcountry rides or any time on weekends.

my woman is available most days of the week and on weekends. she also rides with a girls club 1 or 2 days a week.

we both ride xc and dh.

send me an email if anyone wants to set up a ride.

May 2006

whoohhooooo 2006 riding season!!!

Hi all....Also wanting to meet up with a bunch of couples to ride with....I am the crazy one in my situation and my guy is just getting into it....

I lived in Fernie so rode all those fun trails...(not skihill though....prefer XC with crazy sections..but I love to uphill challenges)

I hope to be riding local trails during the week and a brag creek ride once a week..maybe we should all start a mailing list and every day see who is riding where and if we can make it that day come out for it?????

I love riding with people who understand riding etequette...not ripping up the trails by slamming brakes , skidding everything , riding too close to person in front of you, or always having to be FIRST...sort of a pet peeve...

Anyways....hope to meet new riders...help beginners and learn a lot this summer!!!

Cheers

mtbr member
    bikinggal - Check your PMs.
    Last edited by Ro.nin; 05-07-2006 at 07:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005
    So Calgary people. How do you feel of getting beat by the Mighty Ducks? I mean, the Disneyland team beat you!!!
    All you Calgary fans were talking smack about us Oilers , and look who's out in the first round. Must not be pleasant for Calgary fans.
    I'm just wondering how many bandwagon jumpers there will be. That annoys me, I mean I know you wanted Calgary to win, you don't have to cheer for the Oilers just cuz the went on another round. Anyway, in your face

Sorry, I just had to rub it in
    GO OILERS!!!!

Formerly DMR For Life
    Quote Originally Posted by oilerfan30
    So Calgary people. How do you feel of getting beat by the Mighty Ducks? I mean, the Disneyland team beat you!!!
    All you Calgary fans were talking smack about us Oilers , and look who's out in the first round. Must not be pleasant for Calgary fans.
    I'm just wondering how many bandwagon jumpers there will be. That annoys me, I mean I know you wanted Calgary to win, you don't have to cheer for the Oilers just cuz the went on another round. Anyway, in your face

Sorry, I just had to rub it in
    GO OILERS!!!!
    Don't get too cocky now

I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005
    No matter what happens, we made it out of the first round, against the best team in the league. Calgary got beat by..... oh ya, ANAHEIM. Not the greatest team in the league, thats for sure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    bold thread jacking oiler guy.

can we keep this thread to cycling at least? and at best in the "Calgary" area?

I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by metacycle
    bold thread jacking oiler guy.

can we keep this thread to cycling at least? and at best in the "Calgary" area?
    Yeah, your right. Sorry, , but you know you would rub it in if the tables were turned.
    Best of luck next season.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    True fans know that the regular season doesn't always mean a whole bunch in the grand scheme of things. Detroit is too old. The Ducks are a great team. Don't kid yourself. One of the best over the second half of the season. Look what they are doing to Colorado right now and Calgary took them to seven games. Unfortunately, Calgary never got their game face going these playoffs. After losing some key players, Calgary didn't have the chemistry or the goal scoring to get it done.

The triple over time last night was awesome! The Spoilers totally deserved that win. The Oil have a chance to win the series now. I don't want the cup to go down south again.

Go Oil.

I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005
    Now that's spirit. I was cheering for the Flames when they had their run. I do despise the Flames, but the Battle of Alberta is so awesome too. I want the cup in the west this year for sure. But I just couldn't let this thread slide without throwing in come Calgary comments in to stir up a crowd.
    I do agree, Anaheim is playing awesome, and Detroit wasn't very good.
    Anyway, best of luck next season. Hopefully we can get a battle of Alberta series going on next playoffs. That would be AWESOME!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm looking for a group (1 person or more) to ride with this Sunday, since all my normal riding buddies aren't around, and with all the talk of cougar and bear encounters, I'm not keen to ride alone if I can help it.

conjoinicorned
    i won't be riding sunday, but am going out to jewell pass/prarie view on saturday.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    I plan on going out on monday morring some where in k country.

Apr 2004
    i am always up to meet some new Calgarians to ride with. Sorry my wife only rides road no mountain.

KAIZEN!

riding partners

My wife and I are up to meet some more locals to ride - we are in our 30's. I am on a silver Turner Flux; she is on a blue Santa Cruz Superlight.

We are trying to go out Tuesday and Thursday nights after work to Bragg creek and area, plus weekends. We ride mountain and road.

Tuesday May 23 we plan to meet at the West bragg parking lot around 6 PM.

Please drop me a line!
    Dean

Feb 2006
    Hello all,
    My wife and I might be interested in meeting up with some of you for some casual XC riding...(not TOO intense!!)
    We both have just gotten back into riding this summer, have been doing some of the easier rides locally and around Kananaskis/Banff ie. Fullerton Loop, Goat Creek Tr., Little Elbow Loop on weekends. We are not the most technical riders, so not sure if we would slow anyone down, but we are making great strides!! I am the more aggressive rider than my wife and would be up for weekday rides as well in the evenings...my wife, she prefers to go on weekends. We live in the SW behind COP and are in our early 30's and have our own transportation (not just in the form of bikes!)
    Please let me know if anyone is interested in meeting up!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HughJorgan
    We live in the SW behind COP and are in our early 30's and have our own transportation (not just in the form of bikes!)
    Hi. Just wondering whereabouts in the SW... I live in West Springs about 2 min from the International Language school.

I'm usually on my Kula riding Old Banff Coach/Springbank road to Hwy 22 during the weeknights. Preparing for a bicycle tour which starts next weekend.

Feb 2006
    Wow...you are close....you probably ride right behind my house...I'm in Cougar Ridge and back onto OBCR, I am only about 1min. from the school!! Check your inbox I'll pm you!

mtbr member
    My wife and I moved to Calgary almost two years ago. Took the first year pretty easy trying to settle in but now trying to get her into the mountain biking thing. Got out to do some stuff in K-country and Banff (Red Earth Creek, hike up to Shadow lake and back out).

I know that it's not a great time of year to be working on this but happened to be looking around at the threads this morning. We're also early to mid 30s and looking for some fairly easy XC to start with (I'd probably be a bit more daring than her ) but it would be great to get some things going for next season.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    We'd be up to meeting some new people to ride with too! My girl has been riding for 2 seasons now. She prefers rolling single track and climbs to downhill. Her new bike has made a huge difference but that is still her preferance. Likewise I'm a cross country rider, and don't have a downhill bike. So anything that doesn't include a chairlift is good.

Jun 2006
    Hey hey. my wife and I are also new to Calgary (4months). always looking for others. We've ridden Moose, Canmore. we ride mostly DH and aggresive XC, but always love a good trail ride, without shuttle or lift. but on 40lb freeride bikes its a little hard to keep up to sombody on a 22lb spandex machine. LOL

we have new daughter so others in the same boat would be cool to hook up with

Members who have read this thread: 0