Calgary Bike to Work Day, May 7- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Calgary Bike to Work Day, May 7

So apparently Friday, May 7 is Calgary's annual bike to work day! Hit the link for details.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Just don't get caught going oer 20 kph by bufflo bill and his bylaw crew

ups and downs
    I remember somewhere around 1990 they decided to setup a radar trap on the Bow river pathway to measure the average bike traffic speed shortly after deciding to enforce the 20km/h speed limit, and the average commuter speed was something like 36km/h with a high percentage of people traveling over 40km/h.

On flat pavement the only way I can keep below 20km/h is a way undergeared SS or drag the brakes.

Who picked early May for Bike to Work Day in Calgary, there's at least a 50/50 chance that there could be 6" of snow on the ground in early May.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    I remember somewhere around 1990 they decided to setup a radar trap on the Bow river pathway to measure the average bike traffic speed shortly after deciding to enforce the 20km/h speed limit, and the average commuter speed was something like 36km/h with a high percentage of people traveling over 40km/h.

On flat pavement the only way I can keep below 20km/h is a way undergeared SS or drag the brakes.

Who picked early May for Bike to Work Day in Calgary, there's at least a 50/50 chance that there could be 6" of snow on the ground in early May.

Your numbers are high average speed is probably only 25 kph, a few will hit 35 kph...40 kph is maxed out....

Now throw in a nice west wind blowing down the river, the morning commute might get to your numbers.

Yeah they should pick July or maybe Aug...

Calgary has had snow every month of the year.

mtbr member
    Probably should have bumped this yesterday, but you know what they say about hindsight and all.

Sure was nice of the weather to cooperate for today. I managed to talk a few people I work with to ride in today, even helped one plan a route to take. Now to convince them that they should be doing it more than once a year...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I actually noticed on my daily commute today that there were plenty more people than normal out. You could tell they don't normally ride into owrk as they didn't know the phasing of the lights

mtbr member
    May 2006
    4 out of 40 rode today 10% not bad....

mtbr member
    I volunteered for the Bike to Work Calgary event.
    My location was the 10th St LRT Bridge on the south side of the Bow.
    I was joined by 5 other volunteers including 2 from Bow Cycle.
    Some interesting points:
    • We started a 6 am. Ended by 9am
    • Filled 300+ bags. All were gone by 730am. Granola type bars, tire patch kits, lube, water, propaganda. Early birds got the worm.
    • By 9am the count from our station was ~ 875 cyclists.
    • Information from the other locations (not Eau Claire breakfast site) was surprising with counts under 250 cyclists.
    • Apparently (not scientific) the larger share of cycle commuters originate in the W and NW.
    • When cyclists are coming at you in waves of 10 – 15 you quickly realize the popularity of the activity.
    • Plenty of comments from the “hardcore cyclists” who stated with pride that they ride year round as if they are being considered for the Order of Canada.
    Otherwise a good event.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Funny thing, That was about the oNLY day that I didn't cycle to work. I live in bowness and make the ride along bowness rd to home rd along 32nd to charles wood, along northmount to 4th then hit 64th to 11th then up to aero dr. All in all from deep in bowness to deerfoot mall 5 days a week. Friday I played hookie to buy a new rig.

Members who have read this thread: 0