Bow 80- Mtbr.com

Thread: Bow 80

mtbr member
    May 2006

Bow 80

So they said they were going to check out Cox Hill on Wednesday and either cancel or go....

So looks like it is a go for Sunday....

Hope everyone makes the cutoffs.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Damn just got the cancelation notice, its off tell next year...

Sunday did not look good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Would moving it to July be doable? The last two editions were rather miserable, with last year taking the crown as my worst day on a bike ever. It seems to me that the weather there in September is just too hit and miss for a race over the high mountains.

Off the back...
    I think the Bow 80 has been run in September to avoid clashes with the ABA race schedule [pure speculation on my part]. A July or August race date would probably have less rain, snow and chance of cancellation.

mtbr member
    Most of the ABA races are in May and June - not too much planned in July and August for ABA (4 this year, 2 in each month) as that is generally reserved for epics such as BCBR, TransRockies, 24 Hrs of Adrenaline, etc where they are drawing people from out of province. It would make sense to add the Bow 80 into the grouping even though it is ony a 1 day race. Another option would be to make it a back-to-back with the Summer Solstice Race in late June. They could hold the Summer Solstice on Saturday and the Bow 80 on Sunday.
    If you want all the comforts of home, stay there.

Rides, Reviews, Races and Random Thoughts

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    looks like that race will never be run again if they keep holding in in September, as MTB season ends the third week of August in K Country due to Global Cooling.

Another short crappy year on the eastern slopes.

Summer been missing since 2003.

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by stokes
    looks like that race will never be run again if they keep holding in in September, as MTB season ends the third week of August in K Country due to Global Cooling.

you're generally pretty cranky eh...
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    I doubt Bow would ever move it to July/Aug. They have to close up the store that day to support the race, tons of sales would be lost if they closed on a Sun. during summer.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pushinpixels
    I doubt Bow would ever move it to July/Aug. They have to close up the store that day to support the race, tons of sales would be lost if they closed on a Sun. during summer.

In the cancelation notice they said they were going to change the date next year didn't say when.

Probably 30 C next year, this weekend.

****ing snow at are golf tournament Friday...

I am not going to put studs on yet.

Off the back...
    Most of their business gets done from March until the end of June. The revenue lost would be of far less value than the good will they gain from hosting a race.

Pairing it up with the Summer Solstice might be tough, as they need to have snow-free trails.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe
    Most of their business gets done from March until the end of June. The revenue lost would be of far less value than the good will they gain from hosting a race.

Pairing it up with the Summer Solstice might be tough, as they need to have snow-free trails.

The Bow 80 has been run with snow on the trails before....

The issue is cold wet windy weather and the risk of hypothermia and other problems on the high ridges.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stokes

I get the feeling you're a "the glass is half-empty" kinda guy

Admittedly, it wasn't the best of years for weather...but that being said, EVERY year on my birthday I do a ride where the km = my age.
    In the mountains.
    In mid-October.

Hell, I've got pictures from last year where I zip-tied some glow sticks to my frame and wheels on Halloween and did a night-ride of Bowmont after handing out candy to the kiddies because there still wasn't enough snow stuck to the trail to make me put away my bike.

Really, all I'm trying to say is that the mtb season does not end in mid-August. YOUR mtb season ends in mid-August.

Get some riding pants, some warmer gloves, maybe a pair of wool socks, and HTFU.

Or just b!tch about the weather online while the rest of us are out there enjoying the hero dirt and getting our pedal on.
    Everypony loves riding bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe
    Most of their business gets done from March until the end of June.
    Are you part of the Bow Cycle alumni too? All the sales guys best months were July/Aug. Mine included. 4 years in a row.

Off the back...
    Are you part of the Bow Cycle alumni too? All the sales guys best months were July/Aug. Mine included. 4 years in a row.
    Nope, I'm presenting speculation as if it were fact. I'll rephrase - generally speaking, most bike shops in North America generate the largest part of their annual profit from March-June.

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    The Bow 80 has been run with snow on the trails before....

The issue is cold wet windy weather and the risk of hypothermia and other problems on the high ridges.
    Yes, you are quite correct, the Bow 80 has been run when there is snow on the trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    There was snow up top in 2008, no big deal. The hypo is the big deal. Last year's race was the coldest I've ever been and I've spent a lot of time outside in -35c weather.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Here is a shot from the 2008 race. They can run the race in wet, muddy, snow trail conditions, it's the cold temperatures that they are worried about. Don't forget about the volunteers who camp out the day before just to put this race on. Because the race is in K-Country, they are limited as to when they can hold the race and how many people can enter (200 max right now). There is talk that the race may be moved up for next year. FYI, I am the fourth rider in the pic.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Fabulous picture...

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    Fabulous picture...

agreed, great pic!
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

Members who have read this thread: 0