Biking in Feb?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Biking in Feb?

mtbr member

Biking in Feb?

Is there anywhere in BC where the trails would typically be snow free for mountain biking during the second week of Feb? And what would the temps typically be that time of year? There is snow here (Edmonton, AB) already and I am missing my bike so trying to plan ahead! We will be heading to Victoria, BC for Feb 10th but would leave a week earlier and bring our bikes if there was anywhere we could ride a few days on the way.

Thanks!

ups and downs
    Victoria and southern Vancouver Island may well be one of the few places most likely to be snow free in February. But it's supposed to be a La Nina weather year which means it's more likely to be very very wet and cool in this part of the world, and that usually means lots of snow on the mid-high elevations in the lower mainland and in the higher elevations on the Island. The southern end of Vancouver Island tends to be a bit drier than the lower mainland. And there are places to ride a mountain bike around Victoria. Hartland Trails and Thetis Lake Park

If it's normal wet winter weather it might be 5-6C and rainy in February, we can get pineapple express weather where it might be 10-15C and very very wet.

Here's the historical weather for February in Victoria (which is to say, your guess is as good as mine when it comes to predicting February weather any earlier than February)

February 2017

February 2016

February 2015
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Hornby Island is usually drier than most other places and has some fun trails.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Thanks! We will be on the island for a few days for sure. I'm sill wondering if there is anywhere on the lower mainland likely to be dry?

ups and downs
    Almost zero chance of dry conditions on the North Shore in mid-February of a La Nina year, we can have rain-free days in a El Nino year, but the trails will be wet and the snow line is typically around 500m in a light snow year. In a La Nina year, the snow line can be down to sea level.

Here's a shot from mid-February 2017 and from mid-February 2009 at roughly 150m elevation, both La Nina years. You just never know...

Quote Originally Posted by mLeier View Post
    Thanks! We will be on the island for a few days for sure. I'm sill wondering if there is anywhere on the lower mainland likely to be dry?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Biking in Feb?-dscf8835.jpg  

Biking in Feb?-2009_0215new0003.jpg  

mtbr member
    Bring your bike, riding around Victoria (Hartland area is most popular and close to vic, my favourite south island spot might be maple mtn 1 hour from Victoria) is usually fine year round. Good chance of being able to ride the north shore in Vancouver as well. Last year was one of the snowiest ever, but I was riding on Feb 1 at lower trails of Seymour, was curious so just looked at old texts with my buddy I was riding with haha

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

ups and downs
    We can have spectacularly good February days on the North Shore in El Nino years. These photos are from 2010 and 2015, February was warm and dry and the snow line was fairly high. Of course that was not the weather the Olympic committee wanted to see in February.

Biking in Feb?-2010_0208new0006.jpg

Biking in Feb?-2015_0222new0002.jpg

ups and downs
    This is the typical La Nina year weather pattern, the lower mainland and Vancouver Island end up with more precip than normal, and considering 2/3 of the North Shore ski hills are already open, that cooler/wetter thing seems to developing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Biking in Feb?-la-nina.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Not super exciting but I find Delta's watershed to stay a little dryer than the average.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mLeier View Post
    Is there anywhere in BC where the trails would typically be snow free for mountain biking during the second week of Feb? And what would the temps typically be that time of year? There is snow here (Edmonton, AB) already and I am missing my bike so trying to plan ahead! We will be heading to Victoria, BC for Feb 10th but would leave a week earlier and bring our bikes if there was anywhere we could ride a few days on the way.

Thanks!

It's possible to have snow in Victoria in Feb, but unlikely. We typically ride all winter. Between 2010 and now I had to turn back on a ride once due to snow. Between Sooke, Victoria and Duncan there is a week of good riding to be had in Feb.

If you need/want a guide holler. I only work Mon-Wed and can show you around.

FWIW - typical Feb weather is 9-10 deg C and damp. Pretty comfy MTBing weather.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The weather can't be guaranteed, but there can be good riding to be had in the Fraser Valley in February. Vedder is great unless it gets drenched for days on end. The south side of Ledgeview in Abbotsford is good riding at a lower elevation, and the sandstone cliffs make for some really neat trail features and scenery (and it's only a couple of minutes off Hwy 1). Sumas is also worth a look, but you're gaining a bit of elevation and more likely to find snow if it's cold.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all of the suggestions! The pics make me itch to get back out there! We will keep an eye on the weather (and the snowfall!) and make a decision early Feb. Fingers crossed for a winter with lots of snow up high but dry down low!

ups and downs
    You just never can tell until the last minute at this time of year, this white stuff appeared this morning at 133m elevation in North Vancouver
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Biking in Feb?-dscf0169.jpg  

ups and downs
    And then another 3" to 4" overnight, just before it plunges to -8C overnight. This will be such a lumpy frozen mess tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Biking in Feb?-dscf0182.jpg  

Last edited by rockyuphill; 02-18-2018 at 10:06 AM.

ups and downs
    Ok, go home La Nina, you're drunk, and annoying, just stop already.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Biking in Feb?-dscf3211.jpg  

Biking in Feb?-dscf3203.jpg  

Biking in Feb?-dscf3200-001.jpg  

Last edited by rockyuphill; 02-24-2018 at 09:03 AM.