Best Xc riding in western canada?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Best Xc riding in western canada?

Hi there,

I'm gona be in western canada for 5 weeks for vacation with my family. While I'm there I'm hoping to be doing lots of mountainbiking. I have a 29" front suspension mountainbiking. I have done some biking in bc and I absolutely loved the trails in squamish (half nelson) and the trails in manning park (monument 78 and windy joe). I was also in pemberton for a bit but didn't like the steep drop offs and a lot of the trails there were too technical, didn't like it much there.

I like cycling uphill aswell as downhill

So far I'm thinking of below itinerary, it won't be biking every day cause I will also have to keep the family happy:

Week 1: Canmore
    Week 2: Golden
    Week 3: Salmon arm
    Week 4: Squamish and Whistler
    Week 5: Victoria area

Any advise or maybe tips or suggestions for change of itinerary would helpful, also recommendation s for epic xc rides would be great

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    There is some good riding around Victoria but I would head North to Cumberland, near Courtenay. We have incredible single-track without drop offs. Some steep sections but that is mainly higher up. Challenging without being crazy, boardwalks, bridges ect, are wider. A good map is available at Dodge a City Cycles or online.

Cumberland Quick Links | Comox Valley MTB

Riders from Victoria frequently make the trip up here as well as MTB tourists from all over.

Do a bit of research and I'm sure you'll want to cone.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    When?
    A number of stellar BC rides require access to the alpine. Ideal time would be mid July to mid September.

Revelstoke is definitely worth a stop of 3 or 4 days. Frisby Ridege, Keystone Standard and MCpherson trails are the highlights.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I'll be leaving this weekend, so from 23rd of August until end of September

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Re: Best Xc riding in western canada?

A week may be to long for Salmon Arm, take a couple days to do the Fraser Valley on the way to Squamish. Between Vedder in Chilliwack, Sumas in Abbotsford, and Bear in Mission, you'll have a great time. Check FVMBA website or stop at Jacks bikeshop in Chilliwack or Lifecycles in Abbotsford for maps.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Proably like jumping pound ridge more than Canmore.

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    ^^^ and West Bragg Creek

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'd try to build in some time in Fernie and Rossland to that list too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by fireguy286 View Post
    A week may be to long for Salmon Arm, take a couple days to do the Fraser Valley on the way to Squamish. Between Vedder in Chilliwack, Sumas in Abbotsford, and Bear in Mission, you'll have a great time. Check FVMBA website or stop at Jacks bikeshop in Chilliwack or Lifecycles in Abbotsford for maps.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2
    I don't think we'll be heading down the fraser valley, instead we'll be going through Lillouet, we're meeting some people in pemberton so through Lillouet seems the bettwr route. Fernie and Rossland sound great but we don't wanne ve soing too much driving. I have a 2 and a 4 year old daughter that are also coming. Why woulsn't i like canmore it looks great on paper is it too technical? I'm not a big fan of hike-a-bike and prefer to ride with spd pedals.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron van der Voort View Post
    Why woulsn't i like canmore it looks great on paper is it too technical? I'm not a big fan of hike-a-bike and prefer to ride with spd pedals.
    You might Basically Canmore has the Nordic Center challenging riding but it a small area, not really getting out anywhere.

Highline really nice ride about 2 hours not great views.

Benchlands lot of fun okay views, good for maybe 2 hours.

Jumping pound ridge (start may 1 hour from Canmore) Big ride and some hike up to ridge top...1 hour ride across and alpine ridge and medows fantastic views. Nice descent down Cox hill to the car. Total 3 to 4 hours.

World Class

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks everybody for the info, will try to do the jumping pound ridge trail, looks great!! and also try to spent a couple of days in Revelstoke for the trails there

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Proably like jumping pound ridge more than Canmore.
    Quote Originally Posted by telebiker View Post
    ^^^ and West Bragg Creek
    Yup... West Bragg Creek and Kananaskis up Highway 66 (Jumping Pound, etc.) will keep you occupied for days. The XC riding is fantastic (ranks with the best anywhere) and the rides can be as long as you want to make them, depending on how you connect the trails.
    Screw the shuttle, I'm riding to the top. You're all worthless and weak!!!

mtbr member

Best Xc riding in western canada?

Check out bikepirate.com. Covers quite a few of the areas you're looking at. Focus on the highest rated trails/areas. I would recommend stopping in Revelstoke rather than salmon arm. Canmore time could be split with west Bragg creek and Kananaskis.