best trail in alberta????- Mtbr.com

Oct 2005

best trail in alberta????

just wondering what you guys think is the best trail in alberta and why ?????

wpg then, van now
    Guess it depends what you want to do...

- Overlander (Jasper) - Scenic, Long (~26km round trip), Remote, challenging, lots of good stuff...

- Routes 1 and 2 (Edmonton) - Super sweet technical singletrack - minutes from downtown

- Lake Minnewanka (Banff) - See Overlander, but longer

...those are my personal faves.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

prarie-view Jewel pass

Every time I do this ride I have a grin ear to ear. The climbing isn't too bad due to the rather smooth switchbacks, and the downhill is a blast. The only ride that might beat this out would be Jumpingpoud/Cox hill, but you have to shuttle the fire road, or put up with a long ride on gravel. That's the one detail that has me liking the first trail best.

BL
    "Lightweight , durable , inexpensive
    Pick 2."

mtbr member

Prairie View

I'm a long way from trying them all but Prairie View was fantastic.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

Paper Street
    Lake Minnewanka

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by zdfg
    Lake Minnewanka

I'm definitely going to have to give this trail another try. I remember the scenery being quite good, but totally lacking in terms of technical challenge. I recognize the spot in the picture, which is at the very start of the trail before you cross the bridge. As I recall, this is the only technical piece on the whole trail. Too bad it was closed nearly all year due to aggressive bears, as I tried to do this ride on three different occasions this summer/fall.

BL
    Pick 2."

Paper Street
    Here's a media piece I built. Parts of the film were from the Lake Minnewanka trail and the Rundle Riverside trail. I tend to record only along the beginning or ending of trails as it gets too disruptive to the flow of the ride once you get going. Some of the other sections were filmed in Revelstoke, Nelson, Rogers Pass, and Washington State, USA.

Enjoy!

Short

conjoinicorned
    that whore (moose mountain) is the best freeride trail in alberta. it's shuttleable, flowy and fun, and you can warm up with a short run on prariecreek/jewel pass.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I can't believe nobody has mentioned Jumping Pound Ridge or Coxhill. These are two of the best trails anywhere and Jumping Pound is known as a world class trail and is highly rated. Fantastic ridge riding. Both of these trails are technical in sections with lots of climbing and miles upon miles of downhill fun. Not to mention the scenery is excellent.

The Powder face trail system has some great riding options with lots of technical riding. As mentioned, Prairie view is great. The Benchlands in Canmore has many options. One of my favorite trails is Moose packers. Lots of swithcbacks and flow.

mtbr member
    Here's another vote for Lake Minnewanka. Not exactly technical but great views and great hard packed singletrack.
    Attached Images Attached Images

roots, rocks, rhythm
    It has been a few years but Moose packer was very good. Coxhill and Jumping Pound Ridge were quite good also. Lake Minnewanka was interesting riding but I would not consider it one of the best rides as it is kinda on the flat side............

But I am surprised nobody brought up "Around the Misty Range" ride. It is one of my favorite rides because of the scenery, get to ride it all (road-->double track-->you have creek/river cross-->hike-a-bike-->singletrack and possible grizzly encounter) and all this in just 53 km. (23 of it on the pavement) It does not have alot of areas for hucking so it might not be for everyone.

Also IMHO one of the best rides I had the pleasure to ride was Mt. Assiniboine. Unfortunately that ride is closed...............
    I think Doug Eastcott described the ride the best in his book when he wrote "it provides a challenging ride in the perfect setting".

Look forward to get out to AB for somemore rides.

Just my 2 cents

commutin' Canuck
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ronny
    I can't believe nobody has mentioned Jumping Pound Ridge or Coxhill. These are two of the best trails anywhere and Jumping Pound is known as a world class trail and is highly rated. Fantastic ridge riding. Both of these trails are technical in sections with lots of climbing and miles upon miles of downhill fun. Not to mention the scenery is excellent.

The Powder face trail system has some great riding options with lots of technical riding. As mentioned, Prairie view is great. The Benchlands in Canmore has many options. One of my favorite trails is Moose packers. Lots of swithcbacks and flow.
    Rode moosepackers in the fall and it was terrible, so much deadfall. The switchback area was one big blow-down. Hope someone with a chainsaw has been through as it is most definitely a great trail (except for the new superhighway they plowed to a gas well, just after the switchbacks).

My vote goes to one of Jumpingpound/Cox Hill.

mtbr member
    Valley of the five lakes in Jasper has some alright downhills and some uphill. Probably one of my favorite all-mountain trails although it wasn't the greatest on my DH bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The tree blowdown on Moosepackers just happened this fall. I was up there for a hike last week and its still the same. So I emailed CMBA to find out if they are organizing a trail cleanup. If not some others have expressed an interest in heading out to get it rideable again.

I'll open up my place for BBQ and Hot tub after the works done... Any one interested in starting the riding season by putting something back into the trails?

Scott

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    PM me with the time and place, and I'll be there. I'll ask around and see if anyone I know has a chainsaw, as using a buck saw would take forever, even with a large group working on it.

BL
    Pick 2."

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by WpgRider
    Guess it depends what you want to do...

- Overlander (Jasper) - Scenic, Long (~26km round trip), Remote, challenging, lots of good stuff...

- Routes 1 and 2 (Edmonton) - Super sweet technical singletrack - minutes from downtown

- Lake Minnewanka (Banff) - See Overlander, but longer

...those are my personal faves.
    Minnewanka - I have yet to go past the "ranger cabin", all the way into Ghost, I hear it gets interesting...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Are the trees all big, or can some of the debris be cleared with bow/buck saws?
    That might leave the folks with chainsaws free to clear the big junk.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ronny

Benchlands is closed now isn't it?

I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005
    I agree with lots of the other replies. Also try Valley of the 5 lakes in Jasper
    Or Terwillegar in Edmonton

May 2006
    I will say that I have rode prairie view, moose packers, that whore, jumping/cox, twenty mile loop and lots of others, but one of the most scenic and challenging rides is cathedral mountain in Nordegg. It's a puke fest up but the scenery cannot be surpassed. It has a very nice technical, wicked fast down hill as well. Get out and try it.

Formerly DMR For Life

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by moundpounder05
    I will say that I have rode prairie view, moose packers, that whore, jumping/cox, twenty mile loop and lots of others, but one of the most scenic and challenging rides is cathedral mountain in Nordegg. It's a puke fest up but the scenery cannot be surpassed. It has a very nice technical, wicked fast down hill as well. Get out and try it.
    Where in Nordegg is that? I spent a summer up there (@ Frontier Lodge) and don't remember a cathedral mountian

DMR

May 2006
    If you are in the townsite head back to the highway and turn left down the highway(west), then right on a dirt road (1st right west of townsite). Sorry I don't recall the name. This road takes you towards a hostile and you would immediately pass a campsite on the left hand side (west side). Continue down the road for until you pass over a creek. You will soon see a large man made drainage area on the right side of the road. Turn right at this point and go straight down this gravel road. The trailhead is well marked. This ride is often done with the aid of helicopters and it really is awesome. If you have a chance, look in the canadian mountain bikers trail guide. Its listed under Cathedral Mountain. Wicked ride. Go Oilers!

Formerly DMR For Life
    Quote Originally Posted by moundpounder05
    If you are in the townsite head back to the highway and turn left down the highway(west), then right on a dirt road (1st right west of townsite). Sorry I don't recall the name. This road takes you towards a hostile and you would immediately pass a campsite on the left hand side (west side). Continue down the road for until you pass over a creek. You will soon see a large man made drainage area on the right side of the road. Turn right at this point and go straight down this gravel road. The trailhead is well marked. This ride is often done with the aid of helicopters and it really is awesome. If you have a chance, look in the canadian mountain bikers trail guide. Its listed under Cathedral Mountain. Wicked ride. Go Oilers!
    I think the one your refering to is called coliseum mountian in Doug Eastcott's backcountry biking

DMR
    Last edited by Full Mountain; 05-29-2006 at 07:16 AM.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Quote Originally Posted by DMR For Life
    in dave Eastcott's backcountry biking

DMR
    I just got to point out that it is Doug Eastcott not Dave..............

cheers,

KC

Formerly DMR For Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgprimo
    I just got to point out that it is Doug Eastcott not Dave..............

cheers,

KC

sorrrrrry u still knew who i was talking about though

DMR

Members who have read this thread: 0