Best Squamish XC/AM Trails?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Best Squamish XC/AM Trails?

Will be visiting Squamish this weekend and wondering what the best XC/AM trails are. Not trying to do any freeriding, willing to climb plenty, love technical and long downhill singletrack. Any suggestions?

Also, any close camping spots recommended? Any locals interested in showing a couple of Bellingham 29er boys around?

Thanks!

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Mamquam Forest Service Rd, Lava hill, Ring Creek rip, Powerhouse Plunge, Crumpit woods loop. This loop is part of the Test of Metal Race course. Great mix of scenic fire road climbs, fast downhill and technical descents. Stop at the Squamish outdoor adventure center for maps and info. Or visit Tantalus Bike Shop. Camping at Alice Lake Provincial Park. Shady Tree or Squamish How Sound Brew Pub for refuel.

ups and downs
    Yep, you could just ride the ToM trails and see if you can do it in the 2.5 hours that Max Plaxton did it in, to win this year, or if you're closer to the 4 hours that a lot of riders take to ride the course. It is a tour of some of the best XC trails in Squamish.

http://testofmetal.com/pages/race-de...ourse-maps.php
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'd ride some of the Gearjammer course. I prefer this course to the Test of Metal, although some of the singletrack is the same. If you don't want to ride for the entire day, I'd recommend finding your way to the first drink station and starting from there, as all the best riding was in the second two thirds of the race in my opinion.

Check out http://www.gearjammer.ca/media/Maps/GearJamMap09.pdf for a copy of the racecourse.

Dec 2006

Gear jammer looks cool

but how tough is it to loop it from a tent camping spot?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    If you were camping in Alice Lake, it would be pretty easy to ride back afterwards. Highway 99 is the quickest way, but I usually ride Government Road when I'm either heading out or coming back from a ride. From the end of the Gearjammer course it might take 20-30 minutes of riding back to Alice lake after a long day of riding. Jack's trail is an easy trail that heads north to Alice Lake.

Also, check out Crouching Squirel Hidden Monkey if your staying near Alice Lake. Super fun. 45 minutes or less from the lake to the end. Or you could do Credit Line first to tack on some more time.

Tantalus bike shop will have a map with all the good riding in it. I'd take a map to go along with the Gearjammer map if you're not familiar with the area.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions!

Members who have read this thread: 0