Best Rides and base camps in Vancouver, Whistler, Jasper, Baanff- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2018

Best Rides and base camps in Vancouver, Whistler, Jasper, Baanff

Hey

What are your favorite local Mountain and Road Rides???

I am leaving Phoenix Arizona and heading over to Malibu on June 1. My journey will then take me up thru Nor Cal, Oregon, Washington, up to Whistler, Over to Jasper and down through Banff, back into the US and through Grand Teton and Yellowstone. This will take place over about 3 months. My itinerary is far from set in stone. The goal is to get in a lot of great road and mountain miles on local favorite trails/roads. In addition to cycling I am bringing climbing gear and plan to learn to kite surf up in Oregon. I am also bringing my KTM 690 Enduro so moto trail help would also be appreciated. I'm driving a 24 foot C Class RV and it would be great if I could find a suitable place that I could set up camp for a few days and get into multiple great rides right from camp. My first stop will likely be Malibu Creek State Park as I can set up camp and get in a few good rides right from camp. I am bringing my Scott Spark, Specialized Diverge and +/- my Pinarello Dogma.

SO!! I need any help you can provide on great rides and places to base camp in your area. If you have a Strava Account and are willing to share your rides that would be super helpful as I can download your GPX files into my Garmin. I'm a happy solo rider but connecting/riding with locals is always a plus. I will always have cold beer in my rig and i'm always willing to share!

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Doc Jay
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best Rides and base camps in Vancouver, Whistler, Jasper, Baanff-rig.jpg  

mtbr member
    You should book riverside RV park in Whistler, usually very booked and it's close to everything. Whistler RV park is a ways out of town, fun road ride up Callaghan Rd over there though. Alice lake is a great campground with some of Squamishs best trails all around it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    i have nothing to add, except it sounds like a great vacation.

only crummy thing is that the weqather in alberta can be sketchy in june as it can be one of the rainier months
    2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt BC Edition
    2017 Rocky Mountain Blizzard -50
    2015 Giant Fastroad

mtbr member
    PM me when you get to Whistler, and I'll show you around some trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Mtn View Post
    i have nothing to add, except it sounds like a great vacation.

only crummy thing is that the weqather in alberta can be sketchy in june as it can be one of the rainier months
    How is July? Will be there in a few weeks looking for campground to park a van also.
    Diamondback Mission
    Rocky Mountain Flatline Pro
    My website/blog with project info

mtbr member
    Have you made it to Jasper yet? What kind of riding do you like to do? I might be able to recommend some trails. As for a base camp, you can easily access many trails in the area from the Whistlers campground and Wapiti campground. They are pretty booked up though so it would be best to start looking now and see if a site comes available.