Best "one ride" in Vancouver area on the way to Whistler?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Best "one ride" in Vancouver area on the way to Whistler?

We're driving up to Whistler for 10 days in July and were thinking about stopping in Vancouver to get at least one ride in while we're there. Once we're in Whistler, we won't be leaving there except to ride Squamish a few days.

So where would you ride? A nice 15 mile loop would be great and nothing too extreme. No reason to get hurt before getting to Whistler.
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2018 Intense Tracer (Sold to son)
    2017 Intense Primer

ups and downs
    Well, "loop" and "nothing too extreme" are both a relative concept if you're talking about the North Shore mountains. "Nothing too extreme" depends a lot on what you're used to.

The blue trails on Fromme and Seymour are a lot like black diamond trails elsewhere in the world in terms of steepness, and technical trail surfaces, with quite a bit of woodwork (even though it might be close to the ground) and technical trail features that may have a bypass. The trail networks are really a bunch of linked pedal powered shuttles where you ride up and then back down and then back up again.

https://www.trailforks.com/region/north-vancouver/

Here's some photos of a blue intermediate Seymour trail called Sticks and Stones that is often part of the high school XC race course. It's less than 1km in length but connects to a bunch of other similar trails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best "one ride" in Vancouver area on the way to Whistler?-2014_1111new0039.jpg  

Best "one ride" in Vancouver area on the way to Whistler?-2014_1111new0059.jpg  

Best "one ride" in Vancouver area on the way to Whistler?-2014_1111new0071.jpg  

Best "one ride" in Vancouver area on the way to Whistler?-2014_1111new0075.jpg  

Best "one ride" in Vancouver area on the way to Whistler?-2014_1111new0081.jpg  

Best "one ride" in Vancouver area on the way to Whistler?-2014_1111new0093.jpg  

Best "one ride" in Vancouver area on the way to Whistler?-2014_1111new0097.jpg  

I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Thanks, all that looks totally doable. By "too extreme", I more or less meant that falling meant severe consequences like falling off Portal Trail in Moab. All I really knew of was Fromme and that was hearsay so this was helpful. Thanks.
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2017 Intense Primer

ups and downs
    You can make several possible loops on both Fromme and Seymour, but each downhill section is fairly brief for the amount of climbing you'll do. The black diamond trails may look a lot like the blue trails except for one or two particularly gnarly sections, or they may have a lot of exposure to falling off elevated woodwork. The main difference with the black trails is there is no option or ride around, the TTF's are a mandatory part of the trail. There's not that death defying 100' plunge to your death concern, usually just 6'-10'.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    You can make several possible loops on both Fromme and Seymour, but each downhill section is fairly brief for the amount of climbing you'll do. The black diamond trails may look a lot like the blue trails except for one or two particularly gnarly sections, or they may have a lot of exposure to falling off elevated woodwork. The main difference with the black trails is there is no option or ride around, the TTF's are a mandatory part of the trail. There's not that death defying 100' plunge to your death concern, usually just 6'-10'.
    Well, falling 6-10' on my head won't be the 1st time for sure....did that off my 1st foray on top a wooden structure at Deer Valley in Utah. I thought it was going to be a teeter-totter type deal and it turned out I had to drop 5-6 feet off the end. I wasn't going fast enough, panicked and fell straight down on my noggin.
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Go to fromme ride expresso, then loop back up to ride 7th to krinkum krankum leppard kirkford etc. There's a single track climbing route up fromme, but just spinning up the access road is quick. Seymour is also good. Everything at cypress is hard.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

dft
    mtbr member
    will you guys be able to shuttle or not?
    if shuttle, do a classic seymore ride starting with cbc and some lower stuff.
    if no shuttle, fromme as others mentioned, many many good trails there.

Kilted Cyclist
    Jan 2004
    While you are on the Shore. Search out Honey Doughnuts & Goodies .