• 03-20-2005
    MUD KING
    best MTB nearest Vancouver
    I've researched the area but want to hear it from experienced singletrack traveler. Whistler seems to have some great trails but would rather not go that far North to pay for lift access. Squamish sounds awesome, but Burnaby is closer to UBC and and also has great riding (comparable to)??? Town known for MTB and close to UBC?
  • 03-21-2005
    Gazz
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MUD KING
    I've researched the area but want to hear it from experienced singletrack traveler. Whistler seems to have some great trails but would rather not go that far North to pay for lift access. Squamish sounds awesome, but Burnaby is closer to UBC and and also has great riding (comparable to)??? Town known for MTB and close to UBC?

    If you want singletrack in town, you are stuck with Burnaby Mountain, Delta Watershed or some of the easier Shore trails (like Bridle Path). There's nought else that I can think of. With any of these, it takes some creativity to string together a longish XC type ride.

    Also, I'm not sure that you have to pay a lift ticket to ride XC at Whistler...a lot of it is accessible from valley bottom, as I recall.
  • 03-25-2005
    CraigH
    There is also some XC type rides out near Port Moody & Port Coquitlam.

    Lots of XC riding in Whistler, along with the bike park.

    If you are willing drive a bit there are other places to do XC such as Galbraith, Fraser Valley, Pemberton, Gold Bridge, etc.
  • 03-25-2005
    MUD KING
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gazz
    If you want singletrack in town, you are stuck with Burnaby Mountain, Delta Watershed or some of the easier Shore trails (like Bridle Path). There's nought else that I can think of. With any of these, it takes some creativity to string together a longish XC type ride.

    Also, I'm not sure that you have to pay a lift ticket to ride XC at Whistler...a lot of it is accessible from valley bottom, as I recall.


    Clockwork Orange is freakin crazy man.

    Why do you say stuck with Burnaby? Is that where the crowd is?

    Are more trails being closed for NSMB than being opened??
  • 03-25-2005
    CraigH
    No crowd on Burnaby Mtn, just not much variety.

    No trail closures, although CBC was closed during the winter to allow it to be rebuilt.
  • 03-27-2005
    intense
    hey would like ride there
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by CraigH
    There is also some XC type rides out near Port Moody & Port Coquitlam.

    Lots of XC riding in Whistler, along with the bike park.

    If you are willing drive a bit there are other places to do XC such as Galbraith, Fraser Valley, Pemberton, Gold Bridge, etc.

    hey you guys i'm coming to canada for 2mounts and to ride lots i'm looking for some one to take me out and hit the trails with our tell me were to go !!. i'm going the whistler to the crank work freeride festival have you been to see this festival ??? i'm going to see my mate he races for intense race team you mite know him he races down hill chris kovarik !!!! hope you guys can help me out in some way -sounds like you guys know your tracks . oh i'm staying in whistler for a week do i need longer?????????????
  • 03-29-2005
    Gazz
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by intense
    hey you guys i'm coming to canada for 2mounts and to ride lots i'm looking for some one to take me out and hit the trails with our tell me were to go !!. i'm going the whistler to the crank work freeride festival have you been to see this festival ??? i'm going to see my mate he races for intense race team you mite know him he races down hill chris kovarik !!!! hope you guys can help me out in some way -sounds like you guys know your tracks . oh i'm staying in whistler for a week do i need longer?????????????

    I think you'll have a blast. Drop a line here or on nsmb.com when you hit BC - lots of rides going on all the time; someone will hook you up.

    For more trail info on rides around BC, check out www.trailpeak.com. Some of the Port Moody and PoCo stuff CraigH mentioned should be on there (I haven't ridden too much of it -Burke Mtn. is supposed to be good, but more technical than typical XC). Also for North Shore trail info check out www.gutsploder.com.
  • 03-29-2005
    CraigH
    Yes, was at the Crankworx festival last year and had a great time!

    To hook up for rides, a bunch of us set them up through this Yahoo Group ride list:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Out-Spoken/
    Feel free to join.

    If you want to ride all of the trails in Whistler you'll need more than a week. That isn't including Pemberton, Squamish, North Shore, etc.

    Have a great trip and maybe we'll meet you.
  • 03-29-2005
    MUD KING
    commute
    How far is UBC from North Vancouver? Is there good public transportation going North.
  • 03-29-2005
    CraigH
    In rush hour it takes about an hour to drive there.

    From Downtown Vancouver the Seabus goes to North Van. There are also buses that go across the two bridges.

    GVRD's public transit systems:
    http://www.translink.bc.ca/Transport...es/default.asp
  • 03-29-2005
    MUD KING
    thanks Craig,

    I'm looking more North now. I believe that is where we'll end up. It might be a year or two from now but we should pop some tubes and bust some chains.

    We're close and personal with Maui: Have you checked out our site?
    www.sandbinfinity.com

    We're moving up this week. A little cooler and less populated. We even have a gulch in our back yard. I love building too!
  • 03-30-2005
    intense
    great guys good help
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gazz
    I think you'll have a blast. Drop a line here or on nsmb.com when you hit BC - lots of rides going on all the time; someone will hook you up.

    For more trail info on rides around BC, check out www.trailpeak.com. Some of the Port Moody and PoCo stuff CraigH mentioned should be on there (I haven't ridden too much of it -Burke Mtn. is supposed to be good, but more technical than typical XC). Also for North Shore trail info check out www.gutsploder.com.

    hey you guys if you ever come to AUS i'll help you guys out hope we will meet for ride thanks guys can not wait and hit it up big with you guys see ya .
  • 03-30-2005
    intense
    howdy guys
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by CraigH
    Yes, was at the Crankworx festival last year and had a great time!

    To hook up for rides, a bunch of us set them up through this Yahoo Group ride list:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Out-Spoken/
    Feel free to join.

    If you want to ride all of the trails in Whistler you'll need more than a week. That isn't including Pemberton, Squamish, North Shore, etc.

    Have a great trip and maybe we'll meet you.

    yes mate love to meet up and hit it up big i'm going to the crankworx festival im staying at the hostel at whistler from aug2nd to the 8th so if you guys like to hit some tracks let me know .see ya
  • 04-05-2005
    MUD KING
    I'm gonna make myself a teetor-totter deal to practice up for North Vancouver. Check out my new backyard MTB course.

    http://www.sandbinfinity.com/15701.html
  • 04-06-2005
    CraigH
    A more useful skill is being able to ride skinny stuff, off the ground, for some distance.

    Riding curbs on road rides is a good way to practice.

    That will come in handy for riding logs and ladder bridges.


    (Photo from random site found with Google Image Search)
  • 04-10-2005
    MUD KING
    [QUOTE=CraigH]A more useful skill is being able to ride skinny stuff, off the ground, for some distance.

    How high off the ground are the ladders usually at? Are the trails being built like that because it's more easy not having to clean off the forest floor?
  • 04-11-2005
    CraigH
    Most stuff is in the ~2 foot range.

    They are used to bridge over soft or boggy spots.

    http://www.nsmba.bc.ca/structures/structuresgood.htm
  • 04-11-2005
    MUD KING
    [QUOTE=CraigH]Most stuff is in the ~2 foot range.
    They are used to bridge over soft or boggy spots.

    I can't believe that so many riders avoid the good stuff by swerving around certain sections. If these people are looking for smoother rides they should pick up road biking.