Best interior BC town to spend a month in?- Mtbr.com
    dft
    mtbr member

Best interior BC town to spend a month in?

I've done whistler and the coast area 5-6 times, now looking to really check out interior BC riding, I know there is a ton there.

I was thinking next summer to spend a month and be based in one town(venture out from there to ride more). if you are into alpine mountain riding, steeps, big vertical descents, flow, features (i'll have 6 inch bike and DH bike), I'm thinking nelson should be top on the list? (seems like cool town also)

or other spots like revelstoke, golden, etc?

thanks for any input.

mtbr member
    Nelson while supercool is a bit out of out of the way. I would look more central. Great riding in all your choices and being able to sample each would be very nice.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

dft
    mtbr member
    what central town might be best that would have a ton of riding right there, but also with say 1.5-2 hours drive would add a ton more?

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Nelson is WAY COOL. You can't go wrong there !!! My favourite place in BC. I live in Kelowna. It's very cool here too. But I love Nelson.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Living in Rossland, for your description I would say Revelstoke or Nelson would be great. Revelstoke is a bit more groomed and clean trails with more Alpine, Nelson a bit more raw and old school. Can't go wrong with either

ups and downs
    You might want to split it up instead of spending a month in one spot, as Salmon Arm is near a batch of trails, Revy has a batch, Nelson has a batch and Fernie has a batch.

Salmon Arm, British Columbia Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks
    Revelstoke, British Columbia Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks
    Nelson, British Columbia Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks
    Fernie, British Columbia Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks

And actually the east slopes of the Rockies around Canmore and Kananaskis Country between Banff and Calgary have a lot of riding options.

Canmore, Alberta Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks
    Kananaskis Country Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Yup, Nelson. Aside from the abundance of varied riding near town, an easy one hour drive gets you to any of the following trail destinations: Rossland, Kaslo, New Denver, Castlegar and Salmo. That's right Salmo. Revelstoke, Kimberly and Fernie are also within easy reach.

high pivot witchcraft
    I live in Calgary and have been to most of the destinations mentioned above more than once. Out of all of them I have been to, apart from the Calgary/Canmore/Banff area, where I live, Fernie is my favourite. It has everything I need and want. That said, I would say its strength is definitely more cross country/all mountain, than DH (although the hill is ok).

I have not been anywhere with the level of trail maintenance they have in Fernie (it helps to have it mostly funded to promote tourism). Man made technical features on tons of trails. I like Golden too, but it's not at the same level as Fernie, in terms of number and diversity of trails, or trail maintenance (although nothing beats blasting Mount 7 with delusions of grandeur dancing through your head, reliving the Red Bull Psychosis days). I heard Frisbee Ridge in Revy is shut down, at least for the rest of this year due to erosion (which is one of 3 main go to areas in Revy).

Happy to show you around the Calgary area if you ever pop by (West Bragg Creek, which is awesome, Kananaskis Country, Canmore and Banff). Calgary also has the Moose Mountain network of trails within 45 minutes of my house, which has plenty of really awesome trails, including lots of super gnar DH shuttle stuff. This is a decent area, with lots of good riding within 45 minutes, Fernie and Golden within 3 hours, and Revy within about 4. The problem is winter, which is basically already here now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Fernie is also somewhat close to whitefish Montana and there are some good trails there as well

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Mtn View Post
    Fernie is also somewhat close to whitefish Montana and there are some good trails there as well
    Indeed.

ups and downs
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Salmon Arm is reasonably central and you can ride trails in the Kamloops/ Sun Peaks/ Deadman's Valley/ Cache Creek/Ashcroft areas, around the Shuswap, and east past Revelstoke, and/ or south into the Okanagan.

See: The Kamloops Bike Riders Association:
    https://kbra.wildapricot.org/

And I haven't checked this club out yet:
    Interior Grasslands Cycling Club | Kamloops, BC

Add: I thought the KBRA site had a link to this video, which turns out to have been posted on Pinkbike:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/thompso...ideo-2015.html