BC in May/June?- Mtbr.com

Thread: BC in May/June?

yep

BC in May/June?

So I'm planning my first trip to BC, and my schedule allows for a May-June trip. Being from Utah, I'm use to trails that are still snowed in until early July, and I just realized I have no idea when the biking season starts in British Columbia and when the trails are good-to-go.

I only have a couple ideas of areas I want to ride, and would really appreciate some local input about areas and trails. The trip will be about 3 weeks, and coming from UT I will be stopping and doing some riding in Oregon and Washington as well, but I don't know where all to go in BC. My riding style is that of an "aggressive trailriding" type, and that's what I'm looking for trail wise. Really anything with some tech or fast/flowy singletrack. So far the only must-do areas are North Vancouver and Nelson, but I know there are a ton of trail systems between those two areas. I'd love to get some ideas about must-do trails and local favorites. I'll be on a 6" bike. Probably a Transition Patrol.

Thanks!

ups and downs
    Squamish, Pemberton, and the non-park trails in Whistler will keep you entertained for days. And likely give your body armour a workout too. May should be good in North Van and Squamish, and if there's an early spring the non-park trails in Whistler and lower trails in Pemby should be snow free in May, but certainly everything should be good by first week of June (well, quite likely wet, but rideable).
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

ups and downs
    Techy trails in North Vancouver tend to be heavier on the tech and lighter on the fast/flowy

Here's a few shots of a Blue intermediate trail on Mt. Fromme. This is Lower Griffen. The black diamond trails have higher or steeper features that have no bypass.

BC in May/June?-2014_1108new0038.jpg

BC in May/June?-2014_1108new0060.jpg

BC in May/June?-2014_1108new0067.jpg

BC in May/June?-2014_1108new0075.jpg

BC in May/June?-2014_1108new0093.jpg

There are some flowier trails or sections of trails, but Squamish is the place to go for fast and flowy. Whistler's non-park trails and Pemberton's trails are more natural terrain tech rather than man made TTF's, so still a lot of steep technical terrain, with rock faces and the like, but fewer mandatory elevated features.

Some flowier trails being developed on the North Shore

Severed Dick - Builders' Day Off Video - Pinkbike
    Last edited by rockyuphill; 11-23-2014 at 05:52 PM.

mtbr member
    I live in Cumberland on Vancouver Island. We have an amazing trail network that starts from town, a second network 6 miles away, cool little town, bike hostel, bike shop. Think micro Moab in the forrest. Some decent maps as well. The trouble with BC is that there are so many great options it is hard to decide.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

ups and downs
    And even though places don't look that far apart on a map it kills a day to travel between areas. Nelson is long day's drive from the Vancouver area. And a trip from Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal to Cumberland will eat up a sizable part of a day with the ferry lineup (and possible wait for the next ferry on busy days) and driving time.

mtbr member
    Highly unlikely trails in Nelson will be rideable in May/June, that time of year go coastal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinS View Post
    Highly unlikely trails in Nelson will be rideable in May/June, that time of year go coastal.
    if you want a sure thing.. north vancouver, squamish, sunshine coast, vancouver island (especially south like Duncan) will all be good for sure by then, probably pemberton too and lots will be good in whistler, and the bike park opens like may 16 or something

Terrain Sculptor
    I'm a big fan of Vancouver Island (because I live here). There are very good trails in Sooke, Victoria, Duncan, Nanaimo, Parksville, Port Alberni, Cumberland, Hornby Island and Campbell River. You can drive from any one of these places to any other of these places in less than 2.5 hours. (Sooke to Campbell River would require a little speeding but it can be done.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.