BC in may- Mtbr.com

Thread: BC in may

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

BC in may

I'm visiting Vancouver from may the 8th to may the 24th, and I plan to ride in Whistler area.
    I can't bring my RM Sxc, so I will have to rent a bike over there ... Any tips for rental and/or buying Mtb stuff in BC ?

Cheers,
    Dave

ups and downs
    If you want to rent in North Vancouver, Different Bikes would be a good choice.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the tip, Rockyuphill, I'll email them.
    BTW, is Whistler the only good spot for "enduro" MTB, or are there any other sweet spots closer to Vancouver ?

ups and downs
    Whistler has the Bike Park and a bunch of trails that are not in the Bike Park, but there's lots of riding in Squamish and North Vancouver. Different Bikes is located at the base of Mt.Seymour with classic North Shore trails galore.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    And what about Mt Fromme ?

ups and downs
    Mt.Fromme is all self shuttle - ride up Mountain Highway and the Grouse Mountain service road to 600-700m of elevation and pick a trail to ride down. There's limited traverse trails on Fromme. Have a look at the trails on the North Shore mountains here.

http://www.gutsploder.net/

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    As I will not rent a car, what is the easiest solution for me, any bus service ? Do you think it's worth the cost to book a guide ?

Btw, thank you for your time rockyuphill !
    Will you be at the RM / different bikes demo on the 9th ?

ups and downs
    There's bus service with bike racks on the North Shore. Have a look at this thread...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=614975

I might make it to DB on Sunday... that's still too far away to forecast

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    What kind of bike should I rent ? Knowing that I love my Slayer SXC and I don't mind climbing to catch a nice singletrack, is a trail bike (120 to 140 mms) or a DH bike (180 to 200 mms ) more efficient on most of the popular trails ?

mtbr member
    Something with a shorter stem, flat pedals, and heavy tires. It's more about setup than anything else. See what they've got. I'm riding an Altitude right now on just about everything, and loving it.

But for your first time on the Shore, you might just want to go for the DH rig until you know what to expect.

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    Seymour and Cypress are both shuttle-able, I've found people to be most kind in offering rides
    at both places to DHers (other DHers of course). Fromme is a fairly easy pedal up the hill (compared
    to other more steep fire-roads I have to pedal/push up). I'm 44, kind of out of shape and I can
    pedal my 47lb demo 8 with FF and body armor all the to Ladies and beyond with only one 200 yrd
    section after that, that gets kind of hard, but after that up to 7th it's easy peasy. I've only ridden
    the shore a few times, so for me a DH rig is worth the extra weight to get it up the hill.

The weather's great right now, I hope you have a good time! Let me know if you're coming out
    to the island and we could go for a rip.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Endless Biking also offers bike rentals, guides and shuttles. Could be a good option to get to know the area and get some data.

Lower trails in whistler are good to go. Pemberton is great right now. All the trails on the local mountains are good to go and all can be ridden on an "all mountain" bike.

You're slayer would be perfect here.

Check out ones guys experience with Endless:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=614975

www.endlessbiking.com

ups and downs
    Quite a bit of action at Different Bikes North Van today with quite a few people taking advantage of the Endless Biking demo shuttle. Lots of Flatlines and Altitudes in play today.

Members who have read this thread: 0