BC Highway Restrictions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

BC Highway Restrictions

I know this isn't a mountain biking question, per se, but I am trying to link together a multi-day loop in SW BC that uses some highway travel. BC highway regulations put restrictions on some routes where cyclists are not permitted on the roadway, except where the shoulder is explicitly signed for bicycle use. The problem is, I can't find a map or listing of these restricted highways where shoulder travel by cyclists is or is not permitted.

Does anyone know how to lookup whether a restricted highway permits shoulder travel? Maybe they all do, so that's why there is no listing? I give up trying to google all this, with no avail, and I just hope someone here might know the answer to my questions. Thanks so much.

mtbr member
    Why don't you post your route. It would be easier to answer this question for specific highways we use.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

ups and downs
    Here's a list of BC highways and bridges where bikes are NOT allowed, along with exceptions

Cycling Regulations, Restrictions & Rules of the Road - Province of British Columbia

There may be other highways that technically allow a bike, but you may be taking your life in your hands because of large truck traffic or whack rednecks with guns

Burnaby cyclist shot randomly during B.C. road cycling event | CTV Vancouver News
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks rocky - I have seen this page, but I can't make sense of it. For example, look at Highway 5 (Coquihalla Highway). It says no cycling permitted from east of Hope to Highway 1 junction in Kamloops. But under the exceptions column beside the restriction, it says east of Hope to Highway 1. Huh? I know you can cycle it, because I did a big stretch of it while biking the Kettle Valley Railway/TransCanada Trail a couple of years ago, and their are bike signs all over the highway (every exit ramp and on-ramp). The same kind of bizarre restrictions/exceptions are listed for Hwy 3 near Hope.

Very, very confusing. Or am I missing something simple here?? Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Honestly,most highways you'll want to ride will be legal to ride on.I've never heard of anyone having problems with it.That being said i crossed the Port Mann Bridge many years ago and was stopped by the police and given a ride to where it was safe to cycle again.With a stern "Canadian Warning".Please don't do it again.

ups and downs
    Just like the Upper Levels Trans Canada highway between Capilano Road and Horseshoe Bay, you can ride on the shoulder but you can't ride across the on/off ramps or across the overpasses, you have to ride down the off ramp, cross the cross streets legally and then ride up the on ramp shoulder again.

It's incomprehensible to those of us who live here too. You could contact the BC Radonneurs Cycling Club, they will have all the ins and outs, or ons and offs as the case may be

BC Randonneurs Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Why don't you post your route. It would be easier to answer this question for specific highways we use.
    I don't have a route yet, because I can't figure out where I can ride! LOL.

What got me wondering is when MapMyRide.com would not let me create a route down the Okanagan connector (Hwy 97c). It looks like it is restricted the entire length, but the entire length is also an exception, just like Hwy 5. So that led to the more general question about how in the heck does one determine whether or not you can cycle on the shoulder of the restricted highways. Crazy laws you have for cyclists there in BC!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    It's incomprehensible to those of us who live here too. You could contact the BC Radonneurs Cycling Club, they will have all the ins and outs, or ons and offs as the case may be

That's a great suggestion. I'll do just that. Many thanks.

ups and downs
    I haven't paid attention to all the cycling related signs on those routes that I have driven, but I suspect that where they are restricted and allowed, it means you have to ride down the exit ramps and back up the on ramps and not ride across the overpasses. The rationalization being that a vehicle that is speeding up to merge or slowing down to exit might not see a cyclist as they cross the on or off ramp.

In BC it is always best to assume that drivers can't tell a cyclist from a squirrel or insect about to hit their windshield.

ups and downs
    I pointed out the confusing wording to the BC Government department in charge of the website

I have been asked to follow-up or the feedback you submitted regarding our cycling restrictions website.

After reviewing and discussing with some colleagues I do see that some of the wording is confusing on our website. There is a lot of information on the website and in the table particularly and trying to interpret it all can be overwhelming. In the first and second column, the intent is to identify which routes (or segments of route) are restricted for cycling. The third column then tries to depict which route (or segment of a route) has an exception to the restriction, meaning cycling is allowed.

This is something we will forward on to our team in charge of the website to see if there is any way to clarify or display to information.

If you have any questions or would like to discuss particulars of a route I would be happy to do this with you.

Thanks again for your feedback and don’t hesitate to contact me directly.

Operations Manager
    Thompson Nicola District
    Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Wow - thanks! It really is confusing, and I am so glad you were able to get someone to recognize this. That's very nice of you to do this.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Just like the Upper Levels Trans Canada highway between Capilano Road and Horseshoe Bay, you can ride on the shoulder but you can't ride across the on/off ramps or across the overpasses, you have to ride down the off ramp, cross the cross streets legally and then ride up the on ramp shoulder again.

Ahhh. I could never figure out why the restriction for that area yet saw cyclists riding back along the highway after Whistler GF.
    The Inland Island Highway has a restriction of no vehicles below 60km/h but I'm fairly sure there is cycling shoulder. Maybe crossing exemptions on it. But the old highway down by the water is a better view.