Banff to Fernie or Sparwood- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Banff to Fernie or Sparwood

Thinking of a an up and back from Roosville border crossing to banff. Going up was planning on using the old GDR route along the Elk and coming back from sparwood along the new GDR thru corbin, cabin pass, Galton pass. Between Banff and highway 3 I was hoping to find a good alternative route to the east or west of the GDR so its not just an out and back. Any route suggestion without alot of hwy would be great.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Get on the transrockies website.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    thanks

looks like some interesting ideas there- will see if i can get some details from the organizers- sounds like some of the trails they are doing might be a bit tough for bikepacking

mtbr member
    The Coal Discovery trail will take you from Fernie to Sparwood, mostly rolling singletrack parallel to Hwy 3. This years TR is using a new trail - Porky Blue - which I would not want to do for bikepacking.
    I think this years Great Divide race took a route similar to what you are looking at.

newfydog
    May 2009
    The old Great Divide route really sucks. Follow the Transcanada route as much as possible and you'll see some much better trails. You can pick it up just north of Rooseville and take it to Banff.

Members who have read this thread: 0