August bike + family trip to BC- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018

August bike + family trip to BC

Hello,

Looking at planning a week long vacation with my family in BC. Rode Squamish and Whistler Bike Park last summer for the first time and had an absolute blast and admittedly enjoyed Squamish much more than the bike park.

Where would you recommend we use as a base camp for a week orf bike riding + family stuff (my kids are all under the age of 6). Ideally would be reasonably close to trails so that I could get 3-4 3 hour rides in throughout the week without having to waste too much time getting to and from the trailhead. Tempted to do Squamish as the trails are all so close to town, but have heard Pemberton is quite good as well. Also didn't have any time to explore the non-bike park Whistler trails so open to that as an option too.

Thanks!

ups and downs
    Squamish is a good choice for a base as it's less pricey than Whistler, and Whistler is only a 45 minute drive away (assuming no highway-closing accidents) and Pemberton is only 35 minutes further away than Whistler. Pembie doesn't have the sort of townie things to do that Squamish has, so for the activities that don't involve bike riding it might be a bit boring.

And of course, August 10-19 is Crankworx in Whistler, so camping and hotel space in Whistler and Pembie will be at a premium.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Endubro45 View Post
    Tempted to do Squamish as the trails are all so close to town, but have heard Pemberton is quite good as well. Also didn't have any time to explore the non-bike park Whistler trails so open to that as an option too.

Thanks!
    Those are all good choices.

Personally I'd skip Whistler at peak summer. I don't dig the madness and I live close enough that visiting during the shoulder seasons is easy. Pemby trails will be really dry/loose/hot/dusty and rocky that time of year. So I'd probably base out of Squamish and if you are feeling it do a day trip to Whistler and/or Pemby.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Those are all good choices.

Personally I'd skip Whistler at peak summer. I don't dig the madness and I live close enough that visiting during the shoulder seasons is easy. Pemby trails will be really dry/loose/hot/dusty and rocky that time of year. So I'd probably base out of Squamish and if you are feeling do a day trip to Whistler and/or Pemby.
    Thanks for the advice, yea was at the bike park last summer in July and was not a fan of crowds + lines + dust, Squamish on the other hand was epic!