anyone rode kannanaskis or Canmore recently.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2015

anyone rode kannanaskis or Canmore recently.

Just wondering what it's likecthere now.. Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Trail conditions for Calgary riders on pinkbike

Calgary Trail Conditions Facebook Group

Both of the above cover Banff, Canmore, and K-country.

high pivot witchcraft
    Did Merlin View at West Bragg on Saturday, April 25. It was 100% rideable but the climb was pretty soupy. The loop at the top was dry though. I'd say we are at least 2 weeks away from optimum conditions in that area. And that's if it doesn't get a dump of snow or rain.

Rode some stuff in Canmore Sunday, April 26, near the Nordic Center. I don't know the names of the trails very well. I am always with one or more locals and I just follow them. I know we hit EKG and Coal Chutes as part of the network we covered. Mostly dry. Great conditions.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Moose Mountain is doing quite well. They have been busy building up the trails. These are the downhill trails I'm speaking of.

high pivot witchcraft
    Just did 3 laps of Merlin View Loop at West Bragg today. Outstanding conditions, outstanding ride. I think this is the premier trail in all of K Country. Anyone disagree? I appreciate there are more "epic" outings, but I am talking pure trail quality. One of the few left that is not an old, converted horse trail that is so eroded you end up with detached retinas by the end of the ride. Holy crap, can you get some serious speed and air on Merlin. 10 out of 10. And dry as a popcorn fart.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Just did 3 laps of Merlin View Loop at West Bragg today. Outstanding conditions, outstanding ride. I think this is the premier trail in all of K Country. Anyone disagree? I appreciate there are more "epic" outings, but I am talking pure trail quality. One of the few left that is not an old, converted horse trail that is so eroded you end up with detached retinas by the end of the ride. Holy crap, can you get some serious speed and air on Merlin. 10 out of 10. And dry as a popcorn fart.
    It's a great fun trail but no challenge, like all of the west Bragg stuff. It's fun but give me some knar rough trails, we need more trails like razors edge and prospector around here. The rebuild of jewel pass is now one of my all time favourite trails. Good flow but still some challenge to it.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by hizzity View Post
    It's a great fun trail but no challenge, like all of the west Bragg stuff. It's fun but give me some knar rough trails, we need more trails like razors edge and prospector around here. The rebuild of jewel pass is now one of my all time favourite trails. Good flow but still some challenge to it.
    Fair enough. I don't find Prospector overly challenging (except there may be some wood I bypass that I may have forgotten about) but yeah, Razor's - agreed - the most technical trail around IMHO. But I find lots of sections pretty shitty for flow on Razors. It's not a trail I ride very often for that very reason.

I guess it depends what you are into. I used to love blasting down and through the rough eroded shit, like Cox, and the top of Prairieview. I now prefer the buff bermy fast stuff with tons of flow. Fernie-like stuff. West Bragg, Ridgeback, that kinda stuff. I agree though - apart from Razor's and some of the stuff off Moose, everything around is cleanable technically with no thought/risk. As for a physical challenge though (as opposed to technical), I guess all you have to do is throw it in a higher gear and rip it harder.

Anyway, for people who are into West Bragg, I rode Southern Comfort this morning. Pretty muddy in places, especially along Snagmore and Boundary Ridge. The wet roots on Sugar Mama were kinda interesting at speed. Agreed though - all blues.
    Last edited by mtnbkrmike; 07-05-2015 at 04:08 PM.

rubber side down
    May 2007
    I was in Canmore for 3 days and it rained a little, trails are perfect and the weather has cooled off a bit. Temps are down, trails at Nordic Center and Highline are ripping.

Rode Jumpingpound/Cox earlier today, conditions are decent...loose on Cox, but I'm guessing that's always the case. Heading back up to Banff/Canmore tomorrow so I can update if things change.