Anyon in Canada buy an Ibex bike? Any Duty Charges?- Mtbr.com

Mar 2006

New question here. Anyon in Canada buy an Ibex bike? Any Duty Charges?

I've been looking more and more at Ibex bikes as of late, but I'm concerned that Customs Canada will bend me over when it comes to duty. The last thing I need is the good value of Ibex flying out the window if customs decides to charge a rediculious duty fee for importing the bike.

Does anyone know if any duty is charged on Ibex bikes entering Canada, and if so how much I should expect to pay if I decide to go the Ibex route?

Mar 2006
    i think they ship UPS...so expect brokerage and duty.....I've heard that if shipments come by USPS (post), than none of that crap...but not 100% sure. I was going to go the ibex route too....and they're bikes look awesome.....just couldn't wait till the first week or so of May to start riding...

Company CSR

UPS is still the best

We ship via UPS Standard because the oversize nature of the box causes USPS to run much higher. You will have to pay a brokerage fee to UPS on your end (typically US$20 to $30) and you'll have to pay GST & PST (taxes average 15% combined... varies slightly by Province). The taxes must be paid regardless of freight carrier, so the brokerage fee is the only additional charge with UPS. However, their shipping rates are enough lower than USPS that you still come out ahead.

Occasionally we've heard from folks disputing this, but if the US Post Office does the calculation correctly with oversize fees (as ours does!), it is much higher. In other words, once in a while someone maybe able to sneak a bike through at actual weight charges and avoid the oversize fee if they get a counter agent that forgets to check the dimensions, but we're not able to do that. We ship enough bikes through our local Post Office for APO/FPO shipments (US Military handling that must go USPS), that all the agents their are well aware of the oversize nature of boxed bikes.

Regards,
    Jack A.
    IBEX Bicycles
    IBEX Bicycles Company CSR

www.ibexbikes.com

roots, rocks, rhythm
    If you live close to the border.
    Just have the frame delivered to TSB Shipping in Point Roberts, Wash.

http://www.tsbshipping.com/index.htm

Then you just have to go across the border pick up the package (which means you are saving the brokerage fee at least) and just have to pay the taxes due at the border when you are entering back into Canada.
    I have done this a couple times now and it works great.

Good Luck!

Mar 2006
    Thanks for the info folks, I appreciate it and will keep Ibex in mind as I continue to search for my next bike. .

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Clarification? I have heard that USPS is the way to go if a buyer wants to get around outrageous brokerage fees when your package gets to the border. It is the brokerage fees, that most people that I have talked to are worried about.

Obviously, you know more about this than I do. I am just throwing out what I have heard from a couple of people that have ordered custom frames from the States.

mtbr member
    UPS brokerage fees can be found here :
    http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shi...clearance.html

Canada Post will charge a flat rate of $5 - although they may charge more or decline to ship oversized items.

Unchained Freewheel
    Quote Originally Posted by ibexbikes
    We ship via UPS Standard because the oversize nature of the box causes USPS to run much higher. You will have to pay a brokerage fee to UPS on your end (typically US$20 to $30) and you'll have to pay GST & PST (taxes average 15% combined... varies slightly by Province). The taxes must be paid regardless of freight carrier, so the brokerage fee is the only additional charge with UPS. However, their shipping rates are enough lower than USPS that you still come out ahead.

Occasionally we've heard from folks disputing this, but if the US Post Office does the calculation correctly with oversize fees (as ours does!), it is much higher. In other words, once in a while someone maybe able to sneak a bike through at actual weight charges and avoid the oversize fee if they get a counter agent that forgets to check the dimensions, but we're not able to do that. We ship enough bikes through our local Post Office for APO/FPO shipments (US Military handling that must go USPS), that all the agents their are well aware of the oversize nature of boxed bikes.

Regards,
    Jack A.
    IBEX Bicycles

That is not totally true (Unless you have a corporate account with them and send mega amounts of stuff),a:I work for a courier company in Ottawa and see this stuff on a daily basis,and have seen it for 9 years now in the indiustry,I work for QMS and we do allot business with UPS )USPS is far cheaper,also I bought a bike on Ebay this weekend for the second time in two years,and have tried both shipping options.I have a little expirience in these matters
    The Trail Never Ends.

Company CSR
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarbaby4Ever
    That is not totally true (Unless you have a corporate account with them and send mega amounts of stuff),a:I work for a courier company in Ottawa and see this stuff on a daily basis,and have seen it for 9 years now in the indiustry,I work for QMS and we do allot business with UPS )USPS is far cheaper,also I bought a bike on Ebay this weekend for the second time in two years,and have tried both shipping options.I have a little expirience in these matters
    What can I say? First of all, we do have a corporate account w/ UPS and we do get some pretty exreme discounts... which we pass along in our shipping rates. I've seen every bill from both UPS and USPS for every bike we've ever shipped with either one of them (and now add FedEx to the mix). U.S. Military overseas shipping (APO/FPO) can only go USPS, and we ship those pretty regularly. So, we have a lot of ongoing experience from the shippers end of the U.S. Postal Service and we do know what's what. I appreciate that you think you've figured it out, but whomever is shipping you bikes by USPS cheaper is either sneaking them through without paying the correct rate for oversized packages or they are shipping as disassmbled parts. This is an integral part of our business and we've been very thorough in investigating the best shipping methods. It would certainly be in our best interests to be able to charge less to ship to Canada, but it is not possible.

Jack A.
    IBEX Bicycles
    IBEX Bicycles Company CSR

www.ibexbikes.com

Members who have read this thread: 0