Any Vancouver Island riders here?- Mtbr.com
    Gear Whore

Any Vancouver Island riders here?

For some reason I have never seen this forum here...odd....anyway anyone from the VI here?

Aug 2004
    Oh I think there is a few of us around here, fancy meeting you here !

Gear Whore
    Ha, yeah I am a surfing addict...it's crazy. A few of us are thinking about hittin the BMX track tomorrow night.....no time yet (as usual)....

Aug 2004
    Let me know a time and I might make it ! need to see if I can clear that first jump yet, I am getting close it has been a few weeks since I tried and have a trip to whistler under my belt now so that should put me closer to my goal.

mtbr lurker

Victoria Rider Here

Quote Originally Posted by mudpuppy
    For some reason I have never seen this forum here...odd....anyway anyone from the VI here?
    Yep, I am in Victoria just like you. I am also on the VIMB message board, but never post, and haven't been on a ride with them yet.

greg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Nanaimo Here!

heading to the island CC finals tomorrow in Cumberland!

Aug 2004
    yup... im in Campbell River. Anybody else up this way?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Scourge
    yup... im in Campbell River. Anybody else up this way?
    I don't live there anymore but I have family that still does. We always get a ride in at the Pumphouse and a trip to Forbidden when we're over visiting. Mt. Washington was sure good this year.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Courtenay here

Gear Whore
    Nice to see a bunch of you here, I look forward to riding more up island in the next while....it sure is great to be riding again. If you are ever in the Victoria area and do not mind walking up hills (hopefully I get back into shape soon..lol) then post on my site and we can get together.
    Last edited by mudpuppy; 09-23-2004 at 11:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Nice to see a buch of you here, I look forward to riding more up island in the next while....it sure is great to be riding again. If you are ever in the Victoria area and do not mind walking up hills (hopefully I get back into shape soon..lol) then post on my site and we can get together.
    I ride up hills. Cleaned Switchbacks several times on the 50lb bike when I lived in Victoria

Gear Whore
    I have never cleaned switchbacks (that is a feat...congrats)...but many years ago I used to clean a lot of the hills...but 2 year w/out a bike and a sitting at a computer all day is not too good for ya. Hopefully I will get my legs back....pissing me off not being able to clean stuff that was once easy...

It is all about getting out and enjoying yourself anyway, if you are looking for a group to do a hell ride with...look elsewhere, looking for a laid back group that is happy at just about any pace....then come out and ride with us.

Aug 2004
    It is all about getting out and enjoying yourself anyway, if you are looking for a group to do a hell ride with...look elsewhere, looking for a laid back group that is happy at just about any pace....then come out and ride with us.
    Sounds good... glad to hear you guys are somewhat tolerant... im still kind of a newb. Happy Trails

Gear Whore
    If you come out I ride a black transition Dirtbag...am of larger stature (read-clydesdale) and drive a red sunfire, real name is Rivers. Come on over to www.pedalhounds.com and let us know if you are joinin in, should be a big group.

Aug 2004
    um... i hope this threads not dead yet but what are your favorite day rides on the island everyone? (looking for suggestions)

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hike up to the very top of Forbidden Plateau, rip down the face....hit 2 Shieks, Rudy's, Tomato then home to some dirt jumping

Gear Whore
    I wanna hit up forbidden....the pictures and such that I see all over are sweet, but I am not much one for the big stunts...love the technical twisty with lower stunts till I feel more comfortable with the bigger stuff, also love fast, twisty.....fun trails. Maybe this fall/winter/spring the pedalhound crew can do some exploring up island...Cumberland/gold river and places like that...mmmMMMmmm. Going to start with Sooke and see what harbourview has to offer, Lorien keeps on taunting me about it up there...so I may have to head out there when the foot heals up.

I put together a database of all the shops on the island on my site (www.pedalhounds.com) and would appreciate it if you see any mistakes or omissions please let me know, I think it is the only place online that you can find them all in one place, and would love to keep it up to date and correct. Thanks.

Hope to see ya'll out there on the trails.

Aug 2004
    I wanna hit up forbidden....the pictures and such that I see all over are sweet, but I am not much one for the big stunts...love the technical twisty with lower stunts till I feel more comfortable with the bigger stuff, also love fast, twisty.....fun trails. Maybe this fall/winter/spring the pedalhound crew can do some exploring up island...Cumberland/gold river and places like that...mmmMMMmmm. Going to start with Sooke and see what harbourview has to offer, Lorien keeps on taunting me about it up there...so I may have to head out there when the foot heals up.

I put together a database of all the shops on the island on my site (www.pedalhounds.com) and would appreciate it if you see any mistakes or omissions please let me know, I think it is the only place online that you can find them all in one place, and would love to keep it up to date and correct. Thanks.

Hope to see ya'll out there on the trails.
    Yah, I wanna hit up there too, but im not a guy for stunts. me and a friend are gonna hit washington next friday hopefully, maybe see you guys there? I'm 16, and ride a black devinci saguaro. btw, I found one mistake on your list. In Campbell River Urban Lemming Cycle Sports no longer exists, they have moved and changed their name to: Island Mountain Sports. Address: 1980 Island Highway Phone: 250 287 4453

Gear Whore
    Thanks for the update man, I will change that now, they should look at taking down the urbanlemming.com site....

I like my stunts low and wide, gotta make up for my amazing lack of skill somehow....lol.

Aug 2004
    Thanks for the update man, I will change that now, they should look at taking down the urbanlemming.com site....

I like my stunts low and wide, gotta make up for my amazing lack of skill somehow....lol.
    no problem, ya they should look at taking that site down.... or at least updating it... or something lol. And ya... i like my stunts low and wide too... I've never done a real jump or anything.... to dang scared lol.

Gear Whore
    Yeah I have grand plans of hittin the big stuff, my brain says it can be done...but my body refuses to co-operate...and I crash. My latest one has fooked up my foot....and right after I get me new bike....lol.

Aug 2004
    Yeah I have grand plans of hittin the big stuff, my brain says it can be done...but my body refuses to co-operate...and I crash. My latest one has fooked up my foot....and right after I get me new bike....lol.
    Yep... I know the feeling

Nov 2004
    I am here. Are there any good off-road trails near Victoira?

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NewbRider
    I am here. Are there any good off-road trails near Victoira?
    Hey. I know for sure that there are great trails in Victoria, what you want to do is wait here or come on over to www.pedalhounds.com and post your question, mudpuppy or scoobydoo or any of the Victoria guys will be glad to set you in the right direction. You can also try searching the trails database on this site too.

Gear Whore
    Thanks Scourge!

KAIZEN!

New question here. Late December '05 ride suggestions - South Island?

Howdy everybody!

I used to live in Victoria for the summers while I worked on my master's degree part-time from 1996-2000. I loved the riding while out there - much more technical singletrack nearby (the Dump) than here in Calgary (Bragg Creek), Kananaskis and some Canmore rides, where it is primarily double track. Scenic and beautiful here as well - don't get me wrong! There are some technical singletrack trails too...

My gal still has relatives in Victoria and I have some friends kicking around Shawnigan Lake.

We are contemplating heading out after Christmas for a few days and while I will keep an eye on the weather reports to ultimately make the decision then, does anyone have any recommendations as to (A) we should bother bringing our mountain bikes; (B) OR our road bikes (not enough room for both!); (C) can you suggest some potential mtn / road rides that would be OK to ride (not too muddy off-road?) We don't want to stray too far from Victoria / Shawnigan Lake / Duncan (Mt. Tzuhalem? We have ridden it twice before.)

I know it typically rains on the island throughout the winter, and I don't mind getting wet and muddy (to a point) but combined with really wet, really muddy (gumming up the tires / wheels) and really cold - no thank you!

So what do you locals suggest? Any words of wisdon would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Dean

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockeygod
    Howdy everybody!

I used to live in Victoria for the summers while I worked on my master's degree part-time from 1996-2000. I loved the riding while out there - much more technical singletrack nearby (the Dump) than here in Calgary (Bragg Creek), Kananaskis and some Canmore rides, where it is primarily double track. Scenic and beautiful here as well - don't get me wrong! There are some technical singletrack trails too...

My gal still has relatives in Victoria and I have some friends kicking around Shawnigan Lake.

We are contemplating heading out after Christmas for a few days and while I will keep an eye on the weather reports to ultimately make the decision then, does anyone have any recommendations as to (A) we should bother bringing our mountain bikes; (B) OR our road bikes (not enough room for both!); (C) can you suggest some potential mtn / road rides that would be OK to ride (not too muddy off-road?) We don't want to stray too far from Victoria / Shawnigan Lake / Duncan (Mt. Tzuhalem? We have ridden it twice before.)

I know it typically rains on the island throughout the winter, and I don't mind getting wet and muddy (to a point) but combined with really wet, really muddy (gumming up the tires / wheels) and really cold - no thank you!

So what do you locals suggest? Any words of wisdon would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Dean
    Hey man, again, why don't you come over to pedalhounds.com and post your question, the victoria guys there will gladly help you out.

KAIZEN!

Burnt Bridges? Other places around Victoria / Duncan?

Hey!

When I lived out in Victoria in the summer of 1996 and 1998, I seem to recall people telling me about an awesome area just outside of town - towards Duncan - called Burnt Bridges (?)

I also think I heard that the Bear Mountain (?) development caused it to get wiped out. This true?

If not, where exactly is it? I might hit the Island late December / early Jan and am thinging about taking my mountain bike. Any recommendations around Victoria (I have ridden the dump extensively) and Duncan (I have also ridden the Goose / around Shawnigan / Mt. Tzuhalem.)

Thanks,
    Dean

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockeygod
    Hey!

When I lived out in Victoria in the summer of 1996 and 1998, I seem to recall people telling me about an awesome area just outside of town - towards Duncan - called Burnt Bridges (?)

I also think I heard that the Bear Mountain (?) development caused it to get wiped out. This true?

If not, where exactly is it? I might hit the Island late December / early Jan and am thinging about taking my mountain bike. Any recommendations around Victoria (I have ridden the dump extensively) and Duncan (I have also ridden the Goose / around Shawnigan / Mt. Tzuhalem.)
    Burnt bridge is just north of Shawnigan Lake: directions to Burnt bridge

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I am from Australia and may be participating in an exchange to Victoria if I get accepted. I was just wondering what the weather is like over from September to December and whether there are any hazards when riding over there? Are bear sightings common? Also . are there any good riding areas close to the city? My only knowledge of the area comes from guidebooks, so any advice that you guys could give would be great.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb4x4mad
    I am from Australia and may be participating in an exchange to Victoria if I get accepted. I was just wondering what the weather is like over from September to December and whether there are any hazards when riding over there? Are bear sightings common? Also . are there any good riding areas close to the city? My only knowledge of the area comes from guidebooks, so any advice that you guys could give would be great.
    The Seasons are reversed, of course, sofrom Sept to December we are going from Summer to Winter, and generally Sept through October is good reasonably dry riding weather. Then we get into the cooler, wetter, darker months that make me think of moving to Australia
    Depends what youmean by hazzards: We got hard rocks Stinging nettle in the spring. Blackberries and other thorny stuff that rakes your skin and punctures your tires in the Summer. There is no problem wildlife. Bears are seen more in the Spring and summer, I don't think Ive seen one in the Winter. Check out the SIMBS website for all the local riding stuff