Any trails on Bowen Island?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Any trails on Bowen Island?

I'm a mountain biker who is considering a move to Bowen Island. Will I be bummed or are there trails there that are advanced but not skinnies 10 feet off the ground? I'll help dig.

ups and downs
    No sanctioned trails. And only one trail anyone has admitted to. https://www.trailforks.com/trails/will-n-daly/

Maybe the Sunshine Coast would be the better choice for trails (or Hornby).
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    If you're going to be isolated from Van by a ferry the SSC might be better choice as a Mtn biker.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I need to work in downtown Van M-F...it's a choice between a full on 3 bedroom house with a big yard on Bowen or a 1000sqfoot condo in north van. Can't go any further away from work and remain sane. I'd probably just leave my car parked in horseshoe bay and I could ride in north van after work before returning home to Bowen. Super expensive commute though - $17-20 a day for ferry/seabus/parking vs $5 for the bus/seabus.

ups and downs
    Ferry travel time between Horseshoe Bay and Snug Cove is the same as Langdale and Horseshoe Bay, 40 minutes for both (within a minute or two).

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Ferry travel time between Horseshoe Bay and Snug Cove is the same as Langdale and Horseshoe Bay, 40 minutes for both (within a minute or two).
    Jeez, I wish so much that was true. 20 minutes for Horseshoe to Snug - 40 minutes to Langdale.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jlizard43 View Post
    Jeez, I wish so much that was true. 20 minutes for Horseshoe to Snug - 40 minutes to Langdale.
    Also - 3 nautical miles vs 10.5 nautical miles. You got me so excited to consider the Sunshine coast too! You can confirm the times and distances for yourself here: https://www.bcferries.com/schedules/mainland/

ups and downs
    That's weird, I found a Google result for the travel time for Horseshoe Bay to Snug Cove at 39 minutes, maybe they are counting boarding and de-boarding time. The last time I was a foot passenger it seemed to take quite a while, felt like more than 20 minutes of sitting. So Google doesn't know everything.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any trails on Bowen Island?-snug-cove.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I'm probably going to do North Van because it does take forever to load and unload that ferry. Sunshine coast is super nice but I would be commuting 3+ hours a day!

Condo vs. a house that butts-up next to crown land is tough though, but the condo is 100k less to buy and the commute to the island/SSC is $400 a month!

ups and downs
    Too bad no one implemented Arthur Erickson's recommendation to run the Skytrain under Burrard Inlet and along the BC Rail right of way then to Horseshoe Bay to make Bowen Island and the Sunshine Coast a commuter community to downtown.

banned
    Apr 2006
    Bowen Isl. is a joke!
    We showed up there for one of the biggest events on the Isl. calendar and found every kitchen on the island closed at 9:00pm!

You have my permission to slash and burn new trails all over that sordid dump of a 10%'er bedroom community.