Any good riding in Victoria BC?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Any good riding in Victoria BC?

Might get a job and move there, Mt biking is very important to me,so need some good trails near wherever I live.
    Any good trails in Victoria?

ups and downs
    The closest trail network is Hartland and Partridge Hills

Hartland Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks

Partridge Hills Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks

But you're just down island from riding up in Comox, Courtney, and Parksville, and all those BC Bike Race trails.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks , can you ride all year round or it gets too cold , snowy in the winter?

ups and downs
    It is a rare winter when Victoria gets any snow, but it has happened. And then they usually get hammered. Cycling could be considered a 12 month a year activity in Victoria.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Great, I might go do a trip in July can you recommend a shop to rent a bike?

ups and downs
    Oak Bay Bikes, Broad Street Cycles, Fort Street and Russ Hays are some of the bigger bike shops. Not sure who might rent real mountain bikes, a lot of the bike rental biz will be aimed at tourists doing the paved pathways (of which there are many).

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thank you, will check them out

mtbr member
    Here are some links.

I live up in Cumberland, Vancouver Island and have friends in Victoria. Good riding all over the Island so you can mix it up with day trips and weekends. I've only been riding in Victoria once this century but it was fun, a great network. If you come this summer make sure you travel on the Island a bit and you will be sold.

Trails & Maps | Comox Valley MTB

Where to ride - SIMBSSIMBSWhere to ride - SIMBS| South Island Mountain Bike Society ? advocacy for mountain biking on the south end of Vancouver Island BC
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Excellent great info!!
    thanks

mtbr member
    I grew up there, decent riding at hartland and partridge hills. New stuff happening at bear mountain. 45ish to riding in sooke (broom Hill and harbour view) and cowichan valley (tzouhalem, maple mtn and prevost). Mostly xc/trail/am stuff with the exception of Mt prevost which is gnarly DH. Day trips to Cumberland and stuff are do able, I have done day trips to Whistler from Victoria but pretty long haul (first ferry from Nanaimo then one of the last back) better as a weekend or more trip lol.

I have ridden in t shirt and shorts on Christmas day before, it only snows a couple days a year and everyone freaks out its pretty funny.

Get in touch with oak Bay bikes, I think they rent norco sights or something.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Do it! Victoria has an excellent trail network where you can easily put 4 or 5 hour loops together in the Mount Work vicinity. If you don't mind the rain it's 12 months a year. As far as Vancouver Island is concerned, it's a gold mine. Within a 3 hour drive +/- you have Sooke, Mount Prevost, Mount Tzuhalem(The Zoo), Maple Mountain, some so-so stuff near Nanaimo, Parksville, Hornby Island, Cumberland, Forbidden Plateau, Snowden Forest and more. Road riding is great too as are the back country bike packing options.
    Of course, across the water there are numerous, infamous options on the mainland.
    Cheers.